19 year old teen urinating off of his verandah..

RhondaInMA

Mouseketeer
Now to some of you this may not be a big deal but it was for me. I was on the May 3-10th Western cruise booked in the Walt Suite. The ship stayed late in Cozumel to allow the crew to have some 'off' time. I was sitting out on the verandah enjoying chocolate chip cookies and mickey bars with my cousin who was booked in a different stateroom. We were talking very quietly... I would even say close to whispering. Suddenly we heard someone yell.... 'Shut the **** up!!' We both stopped talking and looked at each other. Wondered if it was meant for us.... figured it wasn't... started talking again. As soon as we started talking again... 'Shut the **** up!'... and he started throwing his verandah furniture around and punching the side of the ship. My cousin and I were shocked. He continued to throw things around and then I heard water/liquid spilling or something. I thought that maybe he was vomiting. .. but within seconds knew it was something different. I looked over my verandah to see this man urinating off of his verandah. His body contorted into a weird position so he could fit 'himself' through the two pieces of glass. Instantly I was sick to my stomach. This is a Disney cruise. My four year old granddaughter was asleep less than 50 feet from this sick person. My 80 year old mother in law was also asleep in the bedroom at the opposite end of the suite.
I immediately ran inside to call security. I woke up my husband and explained what had happened. He walked out onto the verandah to make sure the man did not leave his stateroom before security arrived. As soon as my husband walked out there the man said, 'Did you come out here to watch me piss too?'

Now I know that Disney does not have control over the actions of the passengers... but Disney does have control over handling the situation appropriately. The only punishment this teen received was to spend the night in his parents stateroom (that's what I was told). He was in a stateroom with his cousins and his parents were down the hall. After swearing at me and exposing himself and urinating in front of me... he had to sleep in his parents room.

Needless to say... I was not comfortable using my verandah for the rest of the cruise. I was very uncomfortable walking around the ship wondering if I was going to run into this person. My cousin (who was sitting out on the verandah with me that night) ran into him two times. He was enjoying his vacation... while the remainder of mine was ruined by him. Even the night that we had to put our luggage in the hallway... we were concerned because we didn't want him to touch it.

Well, this was our 7th Disney Cruise. We did enjoy the suite and the concierge service. Connie and Richard are wonderful. But, I think Disney should have handled this differently. I guess they are saying that it's ok to expose yourself and urinate in public on their ships... you'll just have to have a babysitter for one night.

Here is Disney's reply to my email:

5/13/08

Dear Rhonda:

Thank you for your e-mail.

On behalf of the entire Disney Cruise Line team, I hope you will accept
my heartfelt regret for any disappointment with your cruise vacation.
We truly want all of our guests to have fond memories of their time
spent with us, and I was very sorry to learn that the actions of a
teenage guest diminished the enjoyment of your sailing. I can assure
you that the comfort and security of our guests and crew members has
always been of paramount importance to us, and the same standard of
appropriate conduct is expected from everyone. Your concerns about the
teenager during the cruise were most certainly taken seriously, as well
as thoroughly addressed with the family, and handled accordingly. If we
had continued to experience any difficulties with the teen or his
family, I'm sure that our shipboard officers would have seriously
considered disembarking the group.

Although we are unable to offer any compensation for this incident,
please know that your concerns have been taken very seriously and shared
with all the appropriate shipboard and shoreside management individuals
in order to determine where any future considerations may be necessary.

Again, thank you for your e-mail. We hope this one situation doesn't
overshadow the enjoyment of the rest of your cruise vacation with us.
There is magic in the Disney name, and we hope to have the chance to
sail with you again one day soon.

Sincerely,

Joel
Guest Communications
Disney Cruise Line

EDIT: I'd like to add that I've been on 7 Disney Cruises and I have only this one complaint. Sure.. it's a pretty good complaint IMO but obviously rare. We booked the Walt Suite for this cruise because we knew we were going to be taking a break from Disney and wanted to go 'out with a bang'.. and what a bang it was. I'm not sure if I will ever cruise Disney again now... but I will remember all of the more positive moments of Disney Cruising. There really is nothing like it.

OMG!! That is horrible! I can't believe there was no further punishment for him. Had he been in the US, he would have at least gotten a ticket! I am sorry that he ruined your vacation... but at least your mother and granddaughter didn't have to be subjected to it as well.

Hmmmm

This is a tuff one, if you were in charge what have you done? Or what would you like them to have done?

Heather

Hmmmm

This is a tuff one, if you were in charge what have you done? Or what would you like them to have done?

Heather

All I asked was for him to be removed from the ship or quarantined to his room so we wouldn't have to see him.

I am in no way defending the act, the parents should have made him apologize to you. Perhaps, the kid had some sort of mental disorder and maybe that's why Disney was lenient? I would have been, well, Pissed off, too.

I am in no way defending the act, the parents should have made him apologize to you. Perhaps, the kid had some sort of mental disorder and maybe that's why Disney was lenient? I would have been, well, P*ssed off, too.

I was informed by security that the teen took advantage of the young drinking age in Cozumel... no mental disorder.

See I would have handled it a totally different way!

I would have started laughing at the kid. Then ever time I ran into this kid I would have let those around, know just how small he was, to be able to fit it between the railing and the plexe(sp) glass! Let's see who could handle what. :rotfl:

But no way would I have let a childish 19 year old ruin or cause me fear while on my cruise.

An people say 19 year olds are adults!:rolleyes:

All you asked....That is a lot to ask. I think giving him one more chance was appropriate. Perhaps they should have moved his room. Do you really think he was exposing himself to you or just being a stupid teenage who thought it would be fun to pee of the veranda??? Teenagers are dumb and hopefully he got a stern talking to a behaved the rest of the cruise. I would agree with you about removing the family if if happened a second time.

Having said that I am VERY sorry that you had to encounter this situation. It is sad but when you are with 2000 other people there are going to be a few idiots.

I would have started laughing at the kid. Then ever time I ran into this kid I would have let those around, know just how small he was, to be able to fit it between the railing and the plexe(sp) glass! Let's see who could handle what. :rotfl:

But no way would I have let a childish 19 year old ruin or cause me fear while on my cruise.

Thanks! You are the first one to make me smile over this incident...lol

LOL funny one!

Heather

All you asked....That is a lot to ask. I think giving him one more chance was appropriate. Perhaps they should have moved his room. Do you really think he was exposing himself to you or just being a stupid teenage who thought it would be fun to pee of the veranda??? Teenagers are dumb and hopefully he got a stern talking to a behaved the rest of the cruise. I would agree with you about removing the family if if happened a second time.

Having said that I am VERY sorry that you had to encounter this situation. It is sad but when you are with 2000 other people there are going to be a few idiots.

Like I said... it may not bother some.. but I was extremely offended by his actions. I'm not a drinker.. I cruise Disney to try to avoid this type of behavior... and yes I know it can and does happen anywhere.

Your welcome!

I would have pointed out "little man" to everyone that was around when I saw him.

I would put a 100 bucks down, that is he one of those that could dish, but not take.

That's just gross, and affirms my opinion that our culture just fosters coarseness.

If the kid was 19, he's legally an adult. But you've got to be 21 to be totally "on your own," I believe, on Disney ships.

It'd be interesting to know what the "threshold" is for inappropriate behavior on Disney ships, i.e., what would be heinous enough to cause someone to be kicked off. I've heard that underage drinking can cause a kid to be quarantined to his/her cabin for the entire cruise. Maybe on whatever curve Disney grades on, this punishment fit their perception of the crime. I wish they'd bring back public executions for some crimes, but that's not where our society is.

I dunno. I hate it for you. Stupid kid. My first inclination is to say, "His mamma didn't raise him right," but I know some parents give it their very best shots and still end up with toxic children.

Gross! I hope it at least went into the ocean. Wouldn't that have been a nasty surprise to find on a verandah below. Talk about unsanitary. I don't know why people can't leave their bad attitudes at home when they travel.

Sorry to hear of the troubles. One question. Not being that familiar with the ship yet, was this guys verandah above, below or next to yours?

I'm thinking If he was above you, he knew exactly what he was doing. If he was below or next to, maybe he was just a drunk kid thinking it would be funny to go off the balcony. Who knows. Either way, if it was my kid, hed have been in your room in 30 seconds discussing and apologizing for the whole situation. I understand Disney can only do so much, but the fact that the parents were made aware of the situation and DIDN't approach you at all about it? Says a lot IMO. :confused3

Sorry to hear of the troubles. One question. Not being that familiar with the ship yet, was this guys verandah above, below or next to yours?

I'm thinking If he was above you, he knew exactly what he was doing. If he was below or next to, maybe he was just a drunk kid thinking it would be funny to go off the balcony. Who knows. Either way, if it was my kid, hed have been in your room in 30 seconds discussing and apologizing for the whole situation. I understand Disney can only do so much, but the fact that the parents were made aware of the situation and DIDN't approach you at all about it? Says a lot IMO. :confused3

It was to the right of ours.... It did happen at close to 11pm so hopefully all below him were not out on their verandahs.

That is gross!!!! Drunk or not there is no excuse for that type of behavior.

I just wonder what DCL would have done if a child had seen that. I bet it would have been handled differently.

Hmmmm

Heather

I think he should have been put into the ship's brig until he sobered up. The same punishment as if this had happened in any town in America. They have put people in the holding cell at DTD for this offense... the same should have been applied. I do not think being made to sleep in his parents room was suitable punishment, as they obviously didn't care that he was out drinking to begin with.

I have to agree. He should have been confined to the the brig (do they have one?) or at least another stateroom for a day or two or more. His behavior was vulgar, imo. I don't think I would have been as offended as you are, but I would not have been pleased and I would have reported it as you did.

There are cruises where it would probably be acceptable, or more acceptable, but not Disney's. Isn't there rampant drinking and barfing on so called 'party ships"? I'm sorry they didn't do more for you or to him.

That's just gross, and affirms my opinion that our culture just fosters coarseness.
I wish they'd bring back public executions for some crimes, but that's not where our society is.
I dunno. I hate it for you. Stupid kid.
some parents give it their very best shots and still end up with toxic children.
Jeez, what this kid did was very stupid and immature, but this reaction is almost scarier than what this inexperienced drunk teenager did.

I'm not sure what more DCL could have done. As others have said, at a very minimum the parents here should have apologized and given you some reassurance that the incident would not occur again. Hell, if my kid did something like that, I'd not only apologize, but I'd also make my child apologize but I'd probably offer to pay for a spa treatment or something to compensate...for which the funds would come out of whatever spending money he happened to have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter