• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

18 Year Old Roof-house question?

stellablue

DIS Veteran
Would you feel comfortable buying a house where the roof was replaced 18 years ago? Or is that considered a very old roof?

The house was built in 1975. The roof is asphalt, it's a dutch gambrel style house, and it's located in Massachusetts. The area gets snow in the winter, but typically only a few feet each season (this season hardly any). It's in a shaded area.

The house is 1632 square feet.

Thanks!

roofs are expensive...our replacement that is going on starting tomorrow is almost 8000 ..so if you can haggle the owners down a little ...maybe it will pay for it.

Totally depends.

Have it inspected. A good inspector or a roofing inspector can usually give you an estimate as to what the roof has left in it.

Then... it depends. If it sounds like it'd need to be replaced in the next year or two, as above, I'd use that as a bargaining chip. If someone says it has like 5-10 years left in it, well, :confused3 you're not buying a new house. Stuff is supposed to be in good working condition and not on its last legs but it's not a new house it's not a new house, so I wouldn't think you'd get much purchase trying to bargain that way.

Totally depends.

Have it inspected. A good inspector or a roofing inspector can usually give you an estimate as to what the roof has left in it.

Then... it depends. If it sounds like it'd need to be replaced in the next year or two, as above, I'd use that as a bargaining chip. If someone says it has like 5-10 years left in it, well, :confused3 you're not buying a new house. Stuff is supposed to be in good working condition and not on its last legs but it's not a new house it's not a new house, so I wouldn't think you'd get much purchase trying to bargain that way.

Thank you-we would be OK with 5-10 years left. That would give us enough time to save for the expense.

Does a regular home inspector assess the roof or do we need to hire a specific roof inspector?

We are first time home buyers, by the way, so that's where all the questions are coming from!! We have our eye on what we think is a great house, but it has a few flaws that we are trying to weigh in.

Thank you-we would be OK with 5-10 years left. That would give us enough time to save for the expense.

Does a regular home inspector assess the roof or do we need to hire a specific roof inspector?

A regular home inspector should check the roof. I know mine did.

As above, regular inspector can check it.

You can ask the inspector to pay special attention to it and assessing it, given your concerns. They should, but you know, just say.

I *think* you can also get a specific inspection - you may, given the age, if your regular inspector thinks it's iffy or is in a mid range (like says well, probably five years, maybe two), try to get the homeowners to have it inspected themselves and certified. I again, believe that works everyplace. I know it does some places - an inspector can go and like, check the shingles, the underlayment, flashing, and certify that the roof should not need replacing for five years.

It's not expensive and would give everyone peace of mind - IF your inspector isn't clear one way or another, if you see what I mean, and if that's done in Mass. Just looked and from a cursory check, seems it is and done by licensed roofing contractor type people. Also remember, you'd need to balance in your mind that a contractor wants work and thus may have a reason to say something needs fixing.

My home inspector by his own policy would not take any contractor-type work from inspection clients, to avoid that type of thing. That's something to check for. Ask if, if they found something needed repair, could you call them back in to fix it. If they say sure, that'd make me sortof wary. Not necessarily a scammer or anything but you know...

Totally depends.

I agree. My house is 18 years old with the original roof. My parents just replaced theirs last year and it was almost 25 years old. Some roofs at 10 years need replacement..others last longer.

A good inspection will let you know where it stands and then you can go from there either to negotiate it, decline it or move forward depending on what they tell you.

A local weighing in - with many memories of our first house purchase here - and we're happily still in it! What you don't know you don't know - eek! We have experience with roofing our home.

Yes, a good regular home inspector can assess the asphalt roof shingles. But, be aware that around here, a second layer of shingles can be put over another. (But no more than two layers.) According to our roofer, a second layer does not typically last as long as it would if it were a single layer. So, if a second layer is a "25 year shingle" - you would not expect that, but *maybe* could get 18-20 out of it. (We were told to basically plan on a "half-life") Applying a second layer is slightly cheaper, in labor, but IF/WHEN you have to get a new roof, AND two layers have to be stripped off, that will add to the price. Alternately, if there is only one layer down now, you could add a second layer to save some $, knowing you're making a lifespan concession.

So, you may want to verify that the roof was "replaced" 18 years ago, instead of merely "added to" with a layer. The answer may affect your negotiations. Good luck!

Our roof was 20 years old when we moved in. We had it replaced about 5 years after we moved in.

I would definitely get it inspected and if it needs replacing soon, I would negotiate that into the price of the house.

Dawn

A weekend, a couple buddies, and a couple cases of beer for the buddies and a new roof costs 5% of having it done. Along with simple car repair, can't understand why people don't figure this out.... :goodvibes

A weekend, a couple buddies, and a couple cases of beer for the buddies and a new roof costs 5% of having it done. Along with simple car repair, can't understand why people don't figure this out.... :goodvibes

This was my DH's suggestion too. But when he went up the ladder to check out the roof and pulled a muscle in his back just doing THAT - I told him we will pay the professionals to do it. I need him to be able to go to his regular job!! While he may not want to admit it - he is no spring chicken anymore!

Another vote for an inspection of it.
Ours lasted 25 years before we replaced it.

We've bought and sold many houses and once bought a house with a bad roof. The inspector missed it. Cost us $20,000. Everything from it was put on wrong to prior hail damage. Wood roof, they are very expensive. I will gladly fork over $70 for a separate roof inspection by a professional roofer now. And have walked away from buying a house because of the roof ( seller wanted to just patch it up).

I would consider it old. It needs to be replaced. Most regular asphalt roofs in my area are good for 15 to 20 years and we don't get the snow and ice.

I'd put in a lower offer for the house and tell them that's why. They don't have to take your offer and you can always amend it if they don't and you still really want the house.

I am currently comparing roof quotes. The quotes run between 7500 - 8800 and we only have 1 layer to be removed. Roof replacement is expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter