18 days in the Making - A Veteran Disser's First Ever Trip Report

Wrapping it Up

Our departure day travels took us across the FL/GA line to the Fair Harbor RV Park in Perry, GA. It’s a nice campground, but not necessarily the best for a 1 night stay. The site we had was on an extreme hill which required leveling, stabilizing and unhooking for the 10 hours we were there. It seems like a good place, but I’m not sure I’d use it for this purpose again.

Day 2 included Atlanta, so timing was important. Many on here frequently mention Buc-ees. So, not living near any, we had to take the chance to stop at the station near Macon, GA…

It was enormous. I know they don’t want trucks at their stops, but I was disappointed that they weren’t better set-up for RV’s and trailers. Still, a good and unique way for us to start the day.

Generally, the second travel day went beautifully, right up until about 40 miles out from our campground when I felt a sudden pull from the camper. Sure enough, we blew a tire! No pics, as I was far too focused on just getting things dealt with to take pictures. But, DW and the kids stepped down into the valley about 25’ off the highway while I replaced the tire on the side of the interstate. While waiting, DW called a tire shop in the town to which we were headed, looking for them to throw a new tire on our rim (I didn’t want to carry on without a spare). They were open until 6, which was going to be right around when we would get there. They said they’d be waiting for us, and as we pulled in at 5:59, they immediately came out, grabbed the tire, and 10 minutes later had us back on the road.

We pulled into camp a few miles down the road, set up, and DW took the kids up to the campground store as I proceeded to remove both passenger side tires, patch up the damage to the wheel wells, and remount. Some kind neighbors offered assistance (which wasn’t needed, but appreciated), and 45 minutes later we were ready to continue on.

The next morning we headed out for our remaining 400 miles, had lunch at Portillo’s sandwich shop in Gurnee, IL, and pulled into home around 3. A few hours later, after 18 days, 2,975 miles, and some 60 hours of wheel-time, the trailer was tucked away and our 2021 family trip was wrapped up…

A couple of hassles, a number of new experiences, a plethora of treasured ‘oldies,’ and 2 weeks of family time that is increasingly precious with our growing kids – it was a journey that had its overwhelming moments, but one I wouldn’t have changed for the world.

Thanks for sharing in my reminiscence (all 160 pictures and 8,000 words of it)!

Flad you made it home and hope the damage isnt too bad. Thanks for the trip report, it helps us when we head out in November!

Great report!!

Third – walkthrough scanners. For those of you who have not been since they were

Pro tip I just learned this weekend on the security scanners. If you have an umbrella, hold it out far in front of your body. Everyone that holds it by their side gets pinged. (Security shared this with us.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter