• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

18 and The Stack question...

ldb1030

DIS Veteran
My daughter and nephew will both be 18 when we cruise again. :thumbsup2
Since I've never cruised with an 18 year old before I just want to verify something:
I KNOW they can go to the adult only areas of the ship at 18 but I wanted to verify they can't go to the Stack right? She asked me about this, she said she wished there was an 'in between' place like for 18-20 year tolds maybe since it may be awkward with parents etc...at different places when they are only 18. I told her I did not think they could go to the Stack and would have to hang with us old people!:rotfl2:

As long as they are still in HS they are allowed, so I've read...I've also seen posters report that the summer in between HS and college, 18's can be in the stack
Barb

Okay! They will both have just graduated HS like a couple of weeks prior to going so that might work out for them. They may not want to even go there but just a thought.

Anyone have 18 yr olds that had this come up?

We had this exact problem in August when we cruised and went to the top at DCL to get a straight answer. And honestly they still would'nt guarentee anything. First of all if they still are'nt in high school they won't allow it. Next it is still up to the head CM working in that area. Also if they have alot of kids on that particular cruise in the correct age range they get 1st chance at it. My 18 yr old did a couple mixer things with the college age groups 18-20 that she found in the navigator and enjoyed this more. She thought the kids in the teen clubs were just too young in most cases to do anything with. And after the first evening decided she was finished with it. She had a wonderful cruise and lots of fun.

We had this exact problem in August when we cruised and went to the top at DCL to get a straight answer. And honestly they still would'nt guarentee anything. First of all if they still are'nt in high school they won't allow it. Next it is still up to the head CM working in that area. Also if they have alot of kids on that particular cruise in the correct age range they get 1st chance at it. My 18 yr old did a couple mixer things with the college age groups 18-20 that she found in the navigator and enjoyed this more. She thought the kids in the teen clubs were just too young in most cases to do anything with. And after the first evening decided she was finished with it. She had a wonderful cruise and lots of fun.

May I just ask if there were older college kids in the group? My DD will be 22 on our next cruise in December. We have been told there are two groups within the group, one for the under 21 age and one for the over 21. Did your DD notice this distinction?

Well that wouldn't be so bad if they had a get-together for 18-20's! In my four cruises I've just never had to pay attention to what's going on in that age group!:confused3 :rotfl:
They certainly are not going to want to hang out with 13-16 yr olds in The Stack!

My son had just turned 18 in May, 2006 and we sailed on the Magic 3 weeks later. He was really excited to go to the Stack once on board that first night, but was turned away. He came back to the room completely bummed out, as he had such a great time the year before on the Wonder in the teen club. Anyway, I called the club right away and asked them (pleaded with them actually, but nicely to let him in) and they paused for a second and they came back and changed their minds. They did ask him if he had JUST turned 18. The official word is if they had their birthday within a month of sailing, they can go in the Stack. Thank God, because he ended up having a blast and made a ton of great friends that week. He also did check out the college meet and said it was completely "lame" and never went back to that. So there you have it!

Sounds like it just depends on the cruise and which CM says what. We'll just figure it out when we get there I guess. What one person thougth was "lame" another did not so I guess it just depends!

My daughter will have just turned 18 the month prior to the cruise but my nephew will have been 18 for 7 months so I'm thinking they won't be haning out in The Stack.

What we did as a back up was get DCL response in writing and printed it via email to take with us. We spoke directly to Jeanette who is charge of this type of thing. They spoke directly with the CM's on the ship and then gave us our answer. We did'nt have any problems once we showed them that we had indeed looked into this and had proof. But honestly both my then 16 and 18 yr olds hated the teen area and went just once. They made quite a few friends in the 18-20 mixer and did things as a group that way. My younger daughter could'nt do all the things as she was an adult, but still had fun with alot of it.

What goes on in the stack?
How do the cm's know what age group you are in?

We have sailed before, but the Stack was the ESPN zone. My son will be 13 when we sail, so i am wondering what will be different for him. My boys like to be togehter. Unfortuantely, one will be 13 and the other will be 12!

The stack is more video games, freedom and teen hangout. I know you can bump down to a lower age group but I don't know about the higher age group. We had two girls at our table that really loved going to the teen club. But then they were 13 and 14. So I think it all depends on age. My daughters said there were'nt a whole lot over the age of 15 there when we cruised.

What goes on in the stack?
How do the cm's know what age group you are in?

We have sailed before, but the Stack was the ESPN zone. My son will be 13 when we sail, so i am wondering what will be different for him. My boys like to be togehter. Unfortuantely, one will be 13 and the other will be 12!

Will you be on the Magic? I assume so as you mention The Stack and the teen club is called Aloft on the wonder. Anyway, on the Magic they have a (fairly) new area called Ocean Quest for th 10-14 age group. Your boys will get a schedule delivered to your room the day you board. The main draw at OQ seems to be the ship simulator that lets you virtually dock the Magic at various ports. They also do activities, have video games and show movies from time to time.

Unfortunately they do not have this area on the Wonder.

Oh, and to answer your first question, the CMs will have a list of all teens (13-17) on your sailing so they know who should be there and who shouldn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter