FIGHT WITH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE!! Your son deserves all the support he needs and if the district can't supply it...they need to find someone who can!!!
Make sure you remind them of that!

Good Luck!

Ok---

I can tell you tons of things to say.

First off, don't take the schools BS about good grades--if he is entitled to the service he NEEDS TO GET IT.

The school basically will try to say "he's bright" and "he doesn't need it" :rolleyes: That is because the school district doesn't want to pay the extra funds for it. :sad2:

I've had the same battle and it took 2 full school years to get an IEP. I actually had to almost "let" my son fail--so they could see it was impacted his education. I thought something wasn't right in 4th grade-- IEP was denied, 504 was denied. (That is technically illegal). 5th grade= same thing.

Mid-to end of 6th grade = The guidance counselor noticed that his grades were slipping and he had some issues with the office. She suggested that we revisit the IEP process and this time he qualified for services. His diagnose had to impact his educatoinal goals and it didn't until the 6th grade.

He is now in 7th grade-- and doing much better. He has wonderful classroom teachers and has a one period social and academic support class per day. Due to the block scheduling of his middle school, he only has the support class 4x a week.

I can give you NJ statutues but I don't think it can help you.

I will tell you to google IDEA (2004). There are many provisions to IDEA that can be used to a parental advantage. Also--if you say you want to issue the due process provision if they refuse-- that might light a fire in the CST office.

PM me if you want. As you can tell, I've been there, done that.

That is exactly what happened with my DS. ADHD then finally diagnosed Aspergers. His grades are excellent and no meltdowns at school. We have our first meeting with the school in 2 weeks and I am really afraid they are going to try not to give him anything but a social class that is open to all students. Any advice?

Examine your rights as a parent within your state and your school district. Most schools, by law, must provide the student with the necessary assistance. MUST. In some states, if the school is not equipped to handle the students needs, the state may still be required to provide it, by paying for the student to attend a school where the necessary assistance is available.

You may speak to an advocate, or just go to your district or states education website and take a look at your rights as a parent, and your son's rights as a student. It's usually laid out somewhere. (Though it may take a little searching.)

I currently teach a child with Aspergers. It can be difficult at times, but he gets good grades, etc. He's extremely bright. That has never been the question. It is his social skills and meltdowns that have been the issue and you need to make sure that he is getting all of the proper assistance he needs to have a succesful academic career in the least restrictive environment.

Go to the websites. See what you can find. With doctor's diagnosis, it may be hard for them to fight you on the issue.

I was also under the impression that they can't refuse you once you have a diagnosis.

Go get 'em mama.

(besides, unless he is getting "perfect" scores on all his tests, his grades could be "improved" with a new IEP. :laughing:

I'm no help. Our school district up north convened the IEP in the first place because THEY wanted to do the testing.

Our district down here has also been extremely accommodating. We're in the minority by being informed and involved parents. I mentioned that Neil may need a one to one aide for the upper grades if the issues become too great, and they put that in writing. As it is, he is academically above his peers, so he's now in the 7th/8th grade classroom. (Which makes me worry what we'll do in 8th grade)

Hugs to you. Wish I could give you pointers on that front.

Have you checked out www.aspergersyndrome.org message boards. There is a woman with Asperger's (Anchovyeater) who is an amazing resource for what schools MUST provide under the laws. If you haven't been there, PM me for the password. It is a Delphi board, dunno if you've joined them in the past.

:hug:

Suzanne

Did you request an evaluation in writing?

Here are some basics:

- Put everything in writing and in duplicate. Either hand deliver everything to the district special education office and have them date stamp both copies, or mail everything return receipt requested.

-In your request for an evaluation and CSE meeting (committee on special education). State that you know they only have 60 days from receipt of the evaluation request to complete the evaluation and hold a CSE meeting, so you're eager to cooperate in any way to facilitate that time frame.

-In your request also indicate that while a district can no longer use student's grades as the sole determiner of whether or not a child needs an IEP (per IDEA 2004...Individuals with Disabilities Education Act), that your son's grades have, in fact, begun to slip.

-Also request that a functional behavior assessment be a part of that evaluation.

-When they do finally schedule the CSE meeting determining whether your child's eligible for an IEP, 504, or nothing, bring as many people as you wish to support your side (Dr.s, psychologists...you will have to pay them).

-At all meetings give them notice that you will be audio taping them, and do so.

-Keep a log of all informal conversations and phone calls that have to do with your child's education. Keep all correspondence including emails.

-After each meeting write a letter summarizing what was agreed upon. Send it to them in the manner listed previously

The first step is to have them evaluate him. Even though you've already had him evaluated, they only have to CONSIDER your evaluations, they don't have to agree with him. You also don't have to agree with their evaluations and can then request that they pay for an IEE (independent educational evaluation).

Check to see if you have any parent advocacy groups in your area. Parent to Parent is in most states and help parents to be better advocates for their children.

By including some of the info. I gave you in your letters they may realize that you know your rights and give you not as much of a hard time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter