• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

16 and in the hospital until Christmas!

Disneylush

DIS Veteran
Hey Dis friends!!

I am asking for your simple help. We have a family friend who is 16 years old and has been in the hospital now for a month after complications from a surgery. He has no signs of going home anytime soon. His spirits are falling but you can help to raise them back by sending a card, a picture, anything to his hospital room. Most 16 year old boys want a car. He just wants mail. So who is willing to help spread the word and send something to:
Children's Minneapolis
Attn: JR Scanlan
2525 Chicago ave. S.
Minneapolis Mn. 55404

Thank you so much for reading

Hey Dis friends!!

I am asking for your simple help. We have a family friend who is 16 years old and has been in the hospital now for a month after complications from a surgery. He has no signs of going home anytime soon. His spirits are falling but you can help to raise them back by sending a card, a picture, anything to his hospital room. Most 16 year old boys want a car. He just wants mail. So who is willing to help spread the word and send something to:
Children's Minneapolis
Attn: JR Scanlan
2525 Chicago ave. S.
Minneapolis Mn. 55404

Thank you so much for reading

What are his interests? My kids might be interested in writing to him, but it would be helpful to have some ideas on what to write about.

How do we know he is going to be in the hospital till Christmas? Are you thinking rehab as well?

My 16 year old daughter is sending a card! Is he on tumblr?

OP, I feel sympathy for anyone who has to go through an extended hospitalization, but why would anyone want mail from total strangers?

I see, after re-reading your original post that he is a patient in a Children's Hospital. These places are usually staffed with wonderful people whose job it is to help the patients continue their education, interact with their peers, and participate in age appropriate activities. To boost their morale and look after their psychological and emotional wellbeing as well as treat their illness. I'm also going to go out on a limb here and assume that he will also be able to count on the presence of family (and hopefully friends, if the hospital is in his home town).

Again, why appeal for mail from strangers?

NO This is not a scam.

here is his story with Jerry Lewis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXdcEIQyr-o

He has MD and his 1st surgery was to straighten his spine a bit.

He will have rehab which will be part of the stay but right now he still has open wounds in his back they have to keep draining which means he can't get back in his wheel chair.

The hospital was the one to suggest a "card campaign" to lift him up.

Thanks!

OP, I feel sympathy for anyone who has to go through an extended hospitalization, but why would anyone want mail from total strangers?

I see, after re-reading your original post that he is a patient in a Children's Hospital. These places are usually staffed with wonderful people whose job it is to help the patients continue their education, interact with their peers, and participate in age appropriate activities. To boost their morale and look after their psychological and emotional wellbeing as well as treat their illness. I'm also going to go out on a limb here and assume that he will also be able to count on the presence of family (and hopefully friends, if the hospital is in his home town).

Again, why appeal for mail from strangers?

I am personally not familiar with this particular children's hospital, but I do have experience with one near me. While the hospital is wonderful/caring etc. there is a lot of down time for patients. Especially patients that have working parents that cannot be at the hospital 24/7 for weeks/months.

Getting mail is exciitng for some. Something fun to break up the day.

Haven't you ever heard of sending mail and packages to the troops? That's mail from strangers to strangers. Does everything think that is strange? Every year Dear Abby does "operation Dear Abby" or something like that to send cards to the troops over the Holidays. Thousands and thousands of people participate in that and don't find that strange at all. True it is an "appeal for mail from strangers" but it has been going on for years and is apparently satisfying for both sides.

I guess I am just surprised that you found the OP's request so odd.

OP, I have a card all ready to go in the mail tomorrow! I think it is wonderful that you are helping to brighten this boys life!

Some responses on here were strange! Its not like you were asking for anything other than a card for a boy in the hospital. A very sweet gesture! Its funny, because usually once or twice a year I see teachers post on here for postcards to their classroom and give their classroom address and that is always warmly received!

Note to self; people on the Dis think it is great to send cards to a school (or at least do not question the request) but some people on the Dis find it odd to see a request to send a card to a children's hospital.

Hmmm......ok got it straight!

Hope the boy gets lots of mail to brighten his day!!

Thanks for sharing the beautiful video!!! He is a trooper! :thumbsup2

My DD had a back surgery, she has rods and pins to straighten her spine. Her recovery was very long and draining. She had it done in 2005.

I look forward to your updates! :flower3:

Card is in the mail :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter