• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, look.....

If I was cleared by the doctor to be at work, I was ok to be at work. If I was cleared by the doctor to do with my partner what happy lesbians do, then I was safe to be sitting in my office and talking on the phone. I am no risk to the general public. Good, Lord.....should I call the dang Drama Llama? :confused3

I am not telling anyone else anything else. If you want to know how I am from this point forward, ask me. No more updates on a public board. Geez oh freakin Petey. Maggie

Ok, look.....

If I was cleared by the doctor to be at work, I was ok to be at work. If I was cleared by the doctor to do with my partner what happy lesbians do, then I was safe to be sitting in my office and talking on the phone. I am no risk to the general public. Good, Lord.....should I call the dang Drama Llama? :confused3

Ummmmm, thanks. Don't know what I would have done without THAT update.....:eek:

Ummmmm, thanks. Don't know what I would have done without THAT update.....:eek:

No kidding.

I dont care what you do as a happy lesbian. All I care about is this happy hetero not catching c-diff. Thankfully I cant afford the Poly ! ! Never thought Id say THAT!

I can't believe a pediatrician would let an employee come in with c-diff.

Reasonably speaking, in general it is more difficult for otherwise healthy people to contact the c-diff. The normal flora in their gut should destroy the c-diff. An otherwise healthy person catches itas a result of the normal flora in the gut being killed from antibiotics and the overgrowth of c-diff occurs.

The rub is a pediatricians office has newborns and immunosupressed little tykes - many of which would think nothing of touching anything and putting their hand in their mouth.

Again, reasonably speaking, you are more likely to catch the cold from the snotty nosed kid in that office - but c-diff can be a crazy icky thing to control and it can be deadly.

The problem is, with hardware, screws, etc inside of her leg, suppression therapy is about all that can probably be achieved as long as there is a foreign object. Many types of bacteria form slime that coats foreign materials and prevents antibiotics from penetrating down through to acheive a kill. That is why the hardware needs to come out. Unfortunately, it happens with artificial valves and endocarditis, hip and knee replacement surgery, etc. No one wants to take the "stuff" out but often its the only choice when faced with chronic infection. She should stay home, have the hardware removed and get appropriate treatment.

I'm well aware of the problems with hardware (orthopedic/wound care nurse for 24 years) but that cannot be determined until PROPER IV antibiotic treatment is given. The fact that they haven't even done a CT scan to determine if the bone is infected is negligence. Yes, the hardware may be the problem, but to continue to use oral antibiotics and call it "suppression" with NO definitive diagnosis is unbelieveable.

Well, if it's contagious (even a little) you shouldn't be anywhere.

YUCK :sad2:

I'm the sort of person who would catch it. I'm NOT an otherwise healthy person, my immune system doesn't work as well as most, I'd catch it.

I noticed that you edited out the vacation in your signature lines. Please tell me this is because you've decided to postpone your trip and get yourself healed!

Suzanne

I am not changing the vacation yet. I am going to discuss this with the new ID doc on Monday. I don't think there is much that he is going to say that will be new. I just want the peace of mind.

Oh, and Dr. D said that he would gladly write me a note for DC if I wanted him too, so no worries, I am not harmful to anyone or anything. Maggie
So why did you remove your trip dates from your signature?:confused3

Reasonably speaking, in general it is more difficult for otherwise healthy people to contact the c-diff. The normal flora in their gut should destroy the c-diff. An otherwise healthy person catches itas a result of the normal flora in the gut being killed from antibiotics and the overgrowth of c-diff occurs.

The rub is a pediatricians office has newborns and immunosupressed little tykes - many of which would think nothing of touching anything and putting their hand in their mouth.

Again, reasonably speaking, you are more likely to catch the cold from the snotty nosed kid in that office - but c-diff can be a crazy icky thing to control and it can be deadly.

And the OP did catch it.

I'm well aware of the problems with hardware (orthopedic/wound care nurse for 24 years) but that cannot be determined until PROPER IV antibiotic treatment is given. The fact that they haven't even done a CT scan to determine if the bone is infected is negligence. Yes, the hardware may be the problem, but to continue to use oral antibiotics and call it "suppression" with NO definitive diagnosis is unbelieveable.

This is "installment #2". I would guess that what should have been done has been recommended and strongly suggested and in all probability there is an appropriate diagnosis; just not a terribly compliant patient.

And the OP did catch it.

She probably did not"catch it"

She probably got it from the chronic antibiotics killing off the normal gut flora.
Weare are exposed to c-diff in smaller concentrations, but the good bacteria in our gut kills it off.

It becomes transmissable, but the seat risk ouldbethevery young,the very old, thosewith impaired immune systems.....or those whoare on antibiotics themselves.

I find it interesting to say the least that your employer (a pediatrician) would tell you its ok to work when CDC guidelines for C diff clearly state that:

b. Pending their evaluation, exclude personnel with acute gastrointestinal illnesses (vomiting or diarrhea, with or without other symptoms such as nausea, fever, or abdominal pain) from contact with patients and their environment

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/id_gi_excerpts.html
So youre employer is clearly breaking CDC protocol.Interestingly the CDC is based in your home state.

I have had X-rays of my leg as well as a Bone Scan. I can't have an MRI due to the screws. He had not previously ordered a CT scan of the leg because the screws will also cause the scan results to be messed up, but he has ordered one now because the X-ray and the Bone Scans were both negative. My labs are ok with an mildly elevated SED rate and CRP, but the CBC looks fine. Dr. D is trying to work the problem. I have faith that there isn't much more that he "should" have done before now. I just want to make sure that we are on the right path to fix the problem. Maggie

Screws will only mess up a CT scan if no one knows they are there. It sounds as if pretty much everyone knows they are there.

As a nurse, I have concerns about your course of treatment, but since you seem pretty intent on doing it the way you have outlined, regardless if standards of care would dictate otherwise, I will wish you a good vacation and hope for an uneventful recovery when you return. I would recommend you be prepared to rent a scooter or wheelchair. It doesn't sound like walking around on that leg for a month would be a good idea. Do keep a close on things. If you even remotely think something is starting ot go amiss, get yourself to the hospital ASAP. I hear that Celebration Hopsital is good and close.

I just don't know how you get from an ID doctor being shocked and stunned to him allowing you to go on suppressive rather than curative therapy. I have worked with dozens of ID doctors over the pst 25 years and they don't get shocked easily - since they usually only get the worst cases .
I believe the doctor is in a difficult position here. He has a patient who seems to be intent on going on this vacation. So, what doe she do? Wash his hands of her, only to find out later that something terrible happened and he'll probably get sued? Or does he do the best he can with the situation he's working with??? Tough call. Either way, the doctor's screwed.

I am pretty sure that his notes would reflect something a lot less than "I'm OK with her going on this trip and taking these "suppressive" antiobiotics". But sometimes you have to work with the reality of the patient. Health care providers cannot force people to do the right thing. Sometimes we can only clean up the mess afterward. People can be their own worst enemies.

IMO - and Im not a doctor, or a nurse...just a hypochondriac.

I dont know if I'd want to follow the advice of a DR who simply wanted to put me on 'suppressive' drugs for a raging infection. This isnt a cough! Not like I wanna 'supress' it so I can get some sleep!!!

Suppress until / for what??

This is your leg we're talking about!!! I cant imagine choosing Disney over my leg. A pinky toe - maybe. ;) Not a leg!!!

Then we plop on top of this mess, the fact youre a walking C-Diff Bomb. (and, I understand what your DR has told you - but we're talking about the "Lets suppress an infection" Doctor!!!)

I guess Im absolutely floored youre still going, and Im absolutely floored that you havent sought out another opinion. :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter