• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

150 OR 200pts for a new member?

Tinkrbell

Mouseketeer
Just talked to my guide today and she is sending me a new packet. Now we need to decide on 150 or a 200 point contract. We will get the incentive on the whole 200, as opposed to a 50 point add on later.

I tried to access the point chart for the 2002/2003 usage but could not download it. I guess I'm not sure how much difference 50 points makes. The total dollar amount is only $104 between the two. What do most people start off with?

If I understand your statement correctly you are getting 50 points for the price of 1.5? Look at this way. I will be staying in an OKW studio for 4 nights for 54 points.

The question isn't how many do other people get...the question is how many will you use? Any point chart will do to judge for staying at a DVC resort...the numbers don't change. I would assume Beach Club is the same as Wilderness Lodge.

It really depends what you want to stay in and when. One example is during Presidents week at the BC, WL, BW (preferred view), a two bedroom for 5 nights would be 200 points. In Nov., off peak, you could get a two bedroom at the BW/okw for 120 points for 5 days, and at BC/WL it would cost 160. These are all Sunday through Monday stays.

It really depends on your families vacation habits now and in the future. What type of accomodations and when and how often you want to go. We started out with 600 points because we have two young childern a boy and a girl who will eventually want to sleep in different beds so we will need a 2 bedroom when we stay. We want to be able to go twice a year in for a week once in the fall and once in the spring and stay in a 2 bedroom so we decided that 600 points was right for us. Take a look at the points charts here on the DIS and plug in the type of accomadations you would want to stay in and the time of year and see what you come up with. (Use Wilderness Lodge Villas since their points are the same as Beach Club).

If you decide that you will need the 200 points and you can afford it, now would be the best time to purchase them before the price increase and/or loss of incentive.

Get 170. That's what we did. We wanted more than the minimum 150 but at the time we didnt think we could afford the 200. So we bought 170 last Nov.

Just to clarify- the difference between 150 and 200 point purchase using the incentive of $5 off is $14, 000 vs $10, 500- a difference of $3500. Also factor in 50 points more x 3.77/point maintenance and it adds another $188.50/year.

I do agree that it depends on your financial situation and what your family needs will be. For many of us, however, once you begin staying at the DVC resorts, you just want more points. We originally purchased in May of 2000, added on in December of 200 and are now in the market for a 100 more points. It really is addictive. If you can afford it, I would go for the 200.

We usually go to Disney in early Feb. and again in mid to late Aug. Staying about 4 nights on average, mostly deluxe Disney, but we did stay at CBR once. We have two children 4 DD, and 2 DS who will probably need separate sleeping areas later.

kem330- sorry about the mixup. The difference is $104 more per month!!! That is with Disneys financing. $171/m/150 $227/200.

imgoingtodisney- I didn't know you could even do odd number of points. Thats great, I'll have to do the financing for it. That might just work for us!!!

As you can tell I'm "Math Challenged". I'll have to call my guide back to figure all of this out.

Thanks!

We bought 250 points. Sight unseen. Was reccommended by a co-worker and we figured it to be an excellent deal. Our family takes very varied vacations. We got what we thought would basically allow us a 1 BR during peak season.

Now that I've found out about renting points, it eases a little pressure from the use or lose scenario.

Good luck!

Alright, just checked the point chart from spiceycat on mouseplanet.

Lets see if I have this right.

In Dream Season I can get a 1Br, Sun-Thur for 140 points. OR a 2Br Sun-Thur for 170 points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter