14+ days to get points?

LorieDisneyLover

DIS Veteran
Anyone buy resale within the last few weeks?

How long from closing (deed recorded) did it take to see your points in your account?

We already have a contract, this is a our second contract … same resort/same UY …. and it's been 11 days and no points yet.

I'm getting antsy as I need the points to reserve for next July and it's cutting it very close to the 7 month mark.

Our broker just replied and said it's taking 14 or MORE days for Disney to transfer points…. that's just painful :mad:

We closed on Oct 16 and we got our points on Tues, Nov. 5. We received our membership no. on Mon. Nov. 4 but there was a delay in the points going into our account so Magic Vacation Title stepped in and we had our points on the 5th. After reading other posts here this seems to be normal for a resale contract. We have another contract closing beginning of Jan so we will anticipate the same timeframe and see what happens. When we received the email that we were closed it did state that Disney has 14-28 days to load the points.

I expect Disney to build in additional delays to push buyers toward direct buys.

My understanding is that direct sales have really decreased and DVD has been told to come up with ways to turn things around.

:earsboy: Bill

It took around 8-10 days for our last contract purchase to be placed in our account. However, I have to note that our last purchase closed before the resale restrictions, so the flood of contracts that were purchased at the time help up our purchase. So I would imagine it is similar to what you are experiencing. The thing about it is that there is nothing you can do to speed up the process - it's entirely in their hands.

On sales direct vs resale....

Direct sales were through the roof over the summer - so if they have tanked through the off season, I can imagine that DVC upper management is doing all they can to push direct sales.

I am actually very surprised that they have not issued further resale restrictions beyond the trade restrictions.

DVC has many tools they could use to make resales even less valuable - but it is not at all in Disney's best interest to further reduce the value of resale points, unless they are going to step in and buy nearly all resales, which leaves them with such a huge liability of fees.

My opinion is that the delay in loading points after closing has nothing to do with encouraging retail. After all, most folks who buy direct don't even know about resale. And, in my case, if I had been told it would take even 3 more weeks than I expected, I would have been fine with it as I saved $7,000.

I suspect, however, that direct purchases take preference over resale when they are entered.

For me, it took exactly 7 weeks from offer being accepted to points being loaded. If my next contract takes an extra 3-4 weeks, I'll still be happy. I can understand someone getting anxious if they need to book some fast-approaching vacation dates, however.

My opinion is that the delay in loading points after closing has nothing to do with encouraging retail. After all, most folks who buy direct don't even know about resale. And, in my case, if I had been told it would take even 3 more weeks than I expected, I would have been fine with it as I saved $7,000.

I suspect, however, that direct purchases take preference over resale when they are entered.

For me, it took exactly 7 weeks from offer being accepted to points being loaded. If my next contract takes an extra 3-4 weeks, I'll still be happy. I can understand someone getting anxious if they need to book some fast-approaching vacation dates, however.

I'll politely disagree.

DVC only started with these delays maybe 4-5 years ago. Prior to that, resale transfers were processed within a few days of being recorded.

DVC has probably always given priority to direct buyers. However, the fact that they maintain a pretty consistent backlog on resale transfers suggests that it's a calculated move rather than some lack of priority.

If 14 day delay is the norm, DVC could clean that up once-and-for-all with a few late nights or long weekends. The relatively consistent 14 day turnaround suggests DVC has resources to keep up with the current flow of transfers...they simply aren't interested in reducing that turnaround.

And philosophically it's hard to argue against such a policy. To DVC, every resale transfer is (theoretically) a lost direct sale. I doubt many people decide to buy direct due to this factor alone...but it's one of several direct-purchase advantages the sales staff can dangle in front of prospective buyers.

I'm quite sure DVC has made sales over the years by promising to deliver a difficult-to-book reservation to the new buyer. Arranging for an early December stay on 3-4 months notice...and having a confirmation emailed by the end of the business day...is undoubtedly the tipping point for some new owners.

I expect Disney to build in additional delays to push buyers toward direct buys.

My understanding is that direct sales have really decreased and DVD has been told to come up with ways to turn things around.

That might be true....but I was told they take about a month for ROFR and they took less than that. I was expecting a bigger delay for just that same reason.

That might be true....but I was told they take about a month for ROFR and they took less than that. I was expecting a bigger delay for just that same reason.

ROFR and account set up could take a couple of days but Disney deliberately makes resale buyers wait around 55 total days because they bought resale, 1 day if they buy direct.

My deed was recorded on Fri Oct 18, our membership number arrived in the mail Sat Nov 2, 15 days later. I had a reservation booked within 30 minutes of the mail arriving.

Total days from the first call to inquire about resale to having my member number was 59.

In the long run, how much is a 3 to 4 week delay going to affect a purchase that you expect to use for 30 to 40 years?

I bought my first resale of SSR points a couple of years ago and I'm in the process (just passed ROFR) for an Aulani add-on. Going into a resale purchase, you have to expect the worst and be happy with the norm.

Everything I've read is to expect 8 weeks from offer to points. That has to be the norm, so if you're hoping for the best turn-a-round and it doesn't come through, than it's really your fault for unrealistic expectations.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist - I believe the delay in loading points has more to do with staffing. Across the board Disney had reductions a few years back when the economy tanked, like many other corporations. In consequence, they don't get things done as quickly as before, including loading points. So it goes in corporate America.

I think Bill has it right. It may not be a deliberate attempt to slow down resale but I bet resale goes to the bottom of the pile a few times before it gets addressed by Disney.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist - I believe the delay in loading points has more to do with staffing. Across the board Disney had reductions a few years back when the economy tanked, like many other corporations. In consequence, they don't get things done as quickly as before, including loading points. So it goes in corporate America.

I am sure that we pay for the processing and account set up with our dues. After years and years of ownership and talking to all levels of Disney management, IMO they deliberately keep DVC a step behind.

They could shorten the new resale processing timeline but they choose not to. They could modify the rules and policies to be more member friendly but they choose not to. They could do a better job cleaning and maintaining rooms but they choose not to.

I realize that DVD/DVC is just one Disney business unit and other business units don't have to play nice but I wish that they would.

I know this is my frustration talking here … but you would think that Disney is legally bound to some 'deadline' to get points loaded. But it seems there is no timeline … whatever Disney wants???

Who's to say they don't start taking months to load points?:confused3

We sent our money a month ago for this purchase and still don't have access to the points. That's just wrong!

I know this is my frustration talking here … but you would think that Disney is legally bound to some 'deadline' to get points loaded. But it seems there is no timeline … whatever Disney wants???

We sent our money a month ago for this purchase and still don't have access to the points. That's just wrong!

Buying resale depends on your broker, the seller, the closing company and Disney all doing there part in a timely manner. Based on my experience buying and selling over 28 contracts, we have had 2 brokers and 1 closing company drop the ball and cause us delays. Blaming Disney in these cases was easy and most buyers would never know who caused the delays.

I do know that Disney is taking additional time now for providing the brokers with estoppal info, they wait almost 30 days for ROFR and they have changed their procedures and policies on setting up accounts, loading points and providing buyers with their account access info.

IMO Disney should not let their direct selling business conflict with their DVC managing business. New resale owners should be given a phone number by their broker, MS should take phone calls, welcome new members, explain the "club", and provide access to the information that a new owner/member needs.

DVC Members should not have to go to wonderful places like the DIS to get their membership info and answers to their membership questions. We pay Disney to provide that service, we don't pay the DIS. :sad2:

How long ago you sent your money is irrelevant. Disney doesn't get involved until the transfer has closed and is recorded by the county. So you'll have to talk to your broker and find out exactly when the paperwork was forwarded to Disney.

I don't know if any maximum turnaround time is specifically dictated by law. You could contact the Florida Department of Condos & Timeshares to see what they have to say.

If Disney's turnaround ever did slip to more than a month, they may come under scrutiny. But I doubt that oversight officials would bat an eye at 2 weeks.

Not the case with our recent resale. It took about 21 days from contract signing to points in account.

Buying resale depends on your broker, the seller, the closing company and Disney all doing there part in a timely manner. Based on my experience buying and selling over 28 contracts, we have had 2 brokers and 1 closing company drop the ball and cause us delays. Blaming Disney in these cases was easy and most buyers would never know who caused the delays.

I do know that Disney is taking additional time now for providing the brokers with estoppal info, they wait almost 30 days for ROFR and they have changed their procedures and policies on setting up accounts, loading points and providing buyers with their account access info.

IMO Disney should not let their direct selling business conflict with their DVC managing business. New resale owners should be given a phone number by their broker, MS should take phone calls, welcome new members, explain the "club", and provide access to the information that a new owner/member needs.

DVC Members should not have to go to wonderful places like the DIS to get their membership info and answers to their membership questions. We pay Disney to provide that service, we don't pay the DIS. :sad2:

I sent in my check and closing docs on the 7 th and the seller hasn't turned in theirs yet. I asked if there was a time limit on the sellers side she said 65 days from the effective date of the contract. Hope I don't have to wait that long.

I sent in my check and closing docs on the 7 th and the seller hasn't turned in theirs yet. I asked if there was a time limit on the sellers side she said 65 days from the effective date of the contract. Hope I don't have to wait that long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter