13 days in Orlando celebrating 14 years of magic with 5 extra people...sometimes

Lizboo

Travel Nut
Hello...my name is Elizabeth and this is the trip report for myself and DH Marco. We will be headed home to Walt Disney World this fall. We have been going to WDW at least once a year since 2000, went to DLR in California for the first time last year and we just came back from a Paris/DLP trip.

We will be celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary while we are there. DH is in a band and another band member and his family (wife and 3 kids- one 6 year old boy and two 4 year old twin girls) will be going us for a few things.

We have signed up for Deluxe Dining as we have done for the last couple of years. We eat up the credits by going to most of the Signature restaurants (which are yummy) and this year, we will be going to our first WDW Dinner show (Hoop De Doo...I only got DH to go because our friends are going).

Plans are to also go to Universal/Islands and Seaworld. We have 2 tours planned for this trip- Wild Trek and Dive Quest.

We were originally planning to return to Wilderness Lodge, but our friends are staying at Port Orleans riverside, so we switched to their resort last minute.

Coming up next...day by day plans..

As you know, things can change when you arrive, but like I said, we have the Deluxe Dining plan and I made ADRs 180 days out.

Day 1- Plane lands at noon/quick store run/check in/late lunch @San Angel/back to room to settle in, swim, shower and nap/Narcoosee's for late dinner (Wishes on the deck..so nice) and then MK for EMH

Day 2- Tusker House for early breakfast/Wild Trek tour @10/Yak and Yeti for lunch/afternoon break/Flying Fish for dinner/DHS EMH (LOVE that park at night)

Day 3- Kouzzina for breakfast (first time there)/Epcot EMH/Tutto for lunch/LONG afternoon break/Ohana for dinner/ MNSSHP (WOO HOO)

Day 4- The Wave for breakfast/Seaworld for the day/afternoon break/dinner at Citricos/ maybe DTD that night

Day 5- Kona for breakfast/Islands of Adventure/Mythos for lunch/afternoon break/dinner at Jiko/ DTD?

Day 6- 1900 Park Fare for breakfast/Epcot/Tokoyo Dining for lunch/Dive Quest tour at 4:30 (WOO..sharks)/Le Cellier for late supper/ Epcot EMH

Day 7- Waterpark (not sure yet...maybe Blizard Beach)/lunch at Ragland Road/off to Universal for Halloween Horror Nights

Day 8 - Cape May for breakfast/Via Napoli for lunch (first time)/afternoon break/Prime Time cafe for dinner/MK EMH

Day 9 - Start at AK/Sanaa for lunch/Hoop De Doo (first time)/ maybe DHS EMH

Day 10 - Olivia's Cafe for breakfast/ no plans (can you believe it??) I am sure we will figure it out/dinner at California Grill

Day 11 - CRT for breakfast/ Le cellier for lunch/afternoon break/Teppan Edo for dinner/Illuminations

Day 12 - Grand FL Cafe for breakfast/ no plans for the day/Whsipering Canyon for dinner

Day 13 - DHS for EMH/Sci Fi for lunch/ La Hacienda for dinner

Then heading home...sounds like a lot...sounds like fun...26 days and counting

SO...we made a couple of changes to the ADRs..we switched Tokoyo Dining for Biergarten (we have never been there before) and WCC for Cape May Cafe (the crab legs look great and next year, we are going back to the Wilderness Lodge, so we will eat dinner at WCC then).

We bought the Seaworld/Discovery Cove combo tickets, so we are going to Discovery Cove on our anniversary (Sept 27)..I have also signed up for the Unmasking the Horror tour on Sept 29 and I am keeping it a secret from DH.

We have done the online check in...I think I may call and request that we stay in one of the newly renovated mansions (last time, we stayed in Alligator Bay, so I would like to stay in the other side to see the difference). I know it is just a request, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

I saw the kids we will be traveling with today...they are getting so excited..one of the girls told me that they were taking a "Disney plane" and Mikey Mouse was the pilot...

I have started the lists (you know..what to remember to pack...what to pick up once we get there..yada yada) and the suitcases will be coming out soon. :woohoo:

We woke up at 3:45 am to head to the airport.
Here is my first food pic of the trip (a sausage biscuit from Tim Hortons).
IMG_2686.jpg

The first small leg of flight left at 6 am.
IMG_2687.jpg

We had dropped our dogs off at our friends the night before and missing them is always the hardest part of any Orlando trip. We would be meeting our friends at the next airport. We have been going to WDW since 2000 and this is the first time we are going to be there at the same time as someone we know. They have three kids and this will also make for a different experience for us, but one we look forward to.

We had no issues with either flight or getting through customs or security. Our plane hit the ground at noon, we got off and picked up our bags and were checked in with our rental car all within 30 minutes. I am sure that must be a record.

We selected a Jeep Patriot as our rental and got in. We plugged in the GPS and NOTHING…I had asked DH 2 weeks before to check it (we bought a truck last year with built in navigation, so we hadn’t used it in a while). DH tested it on another car…no dice. Or GPS is dead. I thought, well we have been making this trip for more than a decade now, I bet we can do it. So we took off. We took the Orange Blossom Trail exit because I could have sworn there was a Target there…right? Is that what the Home Depot is now? Anyway, when we didn’t find it, we got back on the highway. I thought we could stop at any drugstore on the way (we needed water and cosmetics we didn’t pack). We found a CVS on the way and stopped quickly and then headed to Port Orleans Riverside.
DSC_2546.jpg

DSC_2548.jpg

DSC_2550.jpg

DSC_2551.jpg

DSC_2555.jpg

DSC_2556.jpg

We had originally booked the Wilderness Lodge where we stayed the previous year, but we decided last minute to switch resorts since our friends were staying at Riverside. We stayed there in 2008 in the Alligator Bayou, so I requested to stay in one of the newly renovated mansions. It was nice seeing the other side. We did the online check in quickly, dropped off our bags and headed to San Angel for lunch. Right as we started to head that way, a crazy rain storm started. Of course, I was wearing a white tank top. It was really cold in the restaurant also. OH and we noticed on the way in that the trams now have doors!
IMG_2706.jpg

I had the blood orange margarita (which was yummy as usually). DH had the Tostadas Tinga and I had the Cocterl Cameron as appetizers. Both were yummy. DH had the pork dish Cerdo en Pipian and I had the chicken enchiladas. For dessert, DH had the Crepes Cajeta (we could have licked the plate because the caramel was so yummy) and I had the Crepes Bavaria.
DSC_2513.jpg

DSC_2515.jpg

DSC_2516.jpg

DSC_2517.jpg

DSC_2518.jpg

DSC_2519.jpg

DSC_2520.jpg

Then we rode the Mexican boat ride and decided to go check out the caramel shop to pick up some goodies to take back (NO room since we had such a big meal). You could smell the caramel before you could see the shop. We got a small caramel popcorn and cupcake before taking the boat ride back and then returning to the room to unpack. We walked through Mousegears on the way and DH was thrilled to discover that Goofy Gummies are now a snack on the DP, so we got three bags.

We had a late dinner scheduled at Narcoosee’s. We waited for more than an hour for our table (which never happens) but I swear I didn’t notice the time because we were standing on the deck in the warm breeze just watching the boats go by and the water parade. When we were sat, we glanced at the menu, but I knew what I wanted. DH had the lobster spring roll (which was new to us but we both loved it), I had the crab cake app and lobster and DH had the surf and turf. We love this restaurant and it didn’t disappoint. For dessert, DH had the crème brule and I had the almond crusted cheesecake (YUM). The original plan was to head to the MK for EMH, but we were exhausted and had an early day the next day, so we headed back to our room to sleep.
DSC_2585.jpg

DSC_2586.jpg

DSC_2587.jpg

DSC_2588.jpg

DSC_2589.jpg

DSC_2590.jpg

DSC_2591.jpg

We started completing a Passport book last year, so I included the items recorded on my last trip report. So here goes day 1:

Weather: Sunny but cloudy and one crazy down pour
Best thing: Getting here and watching how excited the kids were
Worst thing: Being too tired to go to MK EMH
Funniest thing: There was a toddler in the airport fascinated with one of my tattoos (orchids) that he had to touch it.
Today we tried: The wonderful caramel shop in Germany.
Magical thing: As we were talking in the Grand Floridian, we saw lots of tiny frogs on the sidewalk.

Stay Tuned for day 2 when we headed to AK and try the Wilderness Trek tour.

We woke up and headed to Animal Kingdom for EMH. We headed to Expedition Everest and there was just a 5 minute wait. We LOVE that coaster. I wanted to ride again, but I also wanted to get a FP for the safari and we had an ADR at Tusker House, so we headed for Africa. We were thrilled to discover that the Wilderness Trek check in was right outside the restaurant. DH asked if they provided lockers as he read that we couldn’t bring back packs and I told I was sure they would..but he went to double check anyway (and..ahem, I was correct). We had breakfast at Tusker House. I swear the best thing there was the ham and spicy mustard sauce. My server gave me the recipe for the sauce. YUM.
DSC_2594.jpg

DSC_2595.jpg

DSC_2596.jpg

DSC_2597.jpg

DSC_2598.jpg

DSC_2599.jpg

DSC_2600.jpg

DSC_2601.jpg

DSC_2602.jpg

DSC_2618.jpg

Afterwards, we checked in for the tour. We sat at table waiting for all of the people to arrive. Once everyone was there, we were led down a path where we were given lockers, vests, weighed, got a water bottle, put into a harness and given a listening device (I was given headphones instead of that one ear thingy- I have small ears). Then, we were given a test rope bridge to cross (very cool). Then they gave us big spray and sunscreen and told us to help ourselves to some jungle juice (YUM).
IMG_2713.jpg

Then, we were introduced to each other and our guides Louis and AJ. We also met a great couple we really liked named Drew and Tammy. We walked through Africa and then headed towards the meerkats and then headed “off course”. We headed towards the hippos and got hooked into harnesses. We met two male hippos and their care taker. This was so very cool to see them this way.
IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2760.jpg

The next part was the rope bridges, which were so very cool.
IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

Once we were done, we took the harnesses off and jumped into our own little truck on the safari. They gave us damp rags called “frosty rags” which helped cool us off. We stopped at different areas and got to see the animals up close and ask questions. We got a stop at a little hut were we had a snack (my favourite was the curry chicken salad- which I am told the recipe for is on the Disney blog, so I will have to check it out).
IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

Then, we finished off the rest of the safari and went back to where we started. We got a group picture and picked up our stuff and we were told that a disc would be mailed to us with all the photos that were taken on the tour. I will share the pictures once I get them in the mail.

We LOVED the tour and would recommend it!

We went to Yak and Yeti for lunch and split a credit there. We got the lettuce cups, the kobe burger and the wontons. All were yummy!
DSC_2631.jpg

DSC_2633.jpg

We did EE in the single rider line and then headed back to the resort for an afternoon break. I was very happy to float in the pool.

We headed to Flying Fish for dinner. This is one of our favourite restaurants and we asked if our favourite server Ruggerio was working. He was not but we had another amazing server named Didi. He brought us champagne and an amuse bouche. I ordered the tuna appetizer (yummy if you like sushi) and DH had the Rice crusted lobster (also yummy). We both had the amazing NY Strip (one of the best steaks ever). For dessert, DH had Tart for dessert and I had the Dessert Trio (so very cool..the fries were pound cake) and we also got a crème brule. MAN everything was yummy.
DSC_2634.jpg

DSC_2635.jpg

DSC_2636.jpg

DSC_2637.jpg

DSC_2638.jpg

DSC_2639.jpg

DSC_2641.jpg

DSC_2642.jpg

DSC_2644.jpg

DSC_2645.jpg

DSC_2646.jpg

DSC_2647.jpg

Then we headed to DHS for EMH. We saw the band Mulch, Sweat and Shears. I like the new set up. They play right in front of the hat now and they have lights. That “band” goes through more staff changes. This one was pretty good but not the best one I saw. We saw them twice that night. We also rode the new Star Tours twice. The first time we went to the wookie planet/saw yoda/ended underwater with Jar jar binks. The second time we were in a battle in the snow with At ats/Princess Leia was the hologram/end with buzz bots. This new version is so much smoother and so fun and I am glad that it changes.
DSC_2673.jpg

DSC_2674.jpg

DSC_2675.jpg

Finally, we decided to go to Fantasmic and then we headed to the resort.
DSC_2717.jpg

DSC_2718.jpg

DSC_2719.jpg

DSC_2720.jpg

DSC_2723.jpg

DSC_2724.jpg

DSC_2725.jpg

Weather: Really hot and sticky
Best Thing: Star Tours (DH) and Trek Tour (me)
Worst Thing: Too much food
Funniest Thing: Tour guides Louis and AJ
New Thing: Wilderness Trek tour
Magical Thing: Watching hippos so close and how well our waiter treated us at Flying Fish

That Wilderness Trek sounds great!

I :love: Flying Fish! Here's a stupid question for you. Just how do you eat sushi that big? I've only had sushi small enough to shove in my mouth! :rotfl2:

That Wilderness Trek sounds great!

I :love: Flying Fish! Here's a stupid question for you. Just how do you eat sushi that big? I've only had sushi small enough to shove in my mouth! :rotfl2:

That tour was amazing but we loved the Dive Quest one EVEN Better (coming up soon- I think day 5 or 6).

Flying Fish is one of our favourites- we actually were able to do it twice when our plans fell through at the end of the second week.

As for that sushi, I took the top off and ate it separately. It was all really really yummy, but the best we had was the Spicy Kazan roll at the California Grill. The best ever (and took the sting out of the fact that they took the snake in the grass off the menu...sniff).

Thanks for reading!

We woke up and headed to Epcot and got a FP for Soarin and then got in line. We met another great couple while standing in line. We then rode Living with the Land (love the greenhouse) and grabbed pastry and OJ at the food court. Then it was time to ride Soarin again (LOVE the whole ride but esp the orange trees).
DSC_2733.jpg

Then we rode the Nemo ride and went up to the tank at The Seas. We were doing the Dive Quest tour and we wanted to ask a CM where our friends should stand so that they could see us. The CM was great and told us all the details. I asked about the sharks and he said the biggest one sometimes bumps him right on the mask. EEKK. He said to stay higher in the tank to avoid the sharks but that they could come up to investigate.

We left and walked by Test Track to get a FP and headed to Tutto for lunch. It is always really yummy and the service there is incredible. Our waitress Ilaria was fantastic and we also found out it was her first day. The bus boy Emmanuelle never let my water glass get even half full. I had the calamari, Casarecci and Torta Ricotta and DH got the Mozzarella with marinated mushroom, lasagna and parfait. Everything was fantastic.
DSC_2743.jpg

DSC_2744.jpg

DSC_2745.jpg

DSC_2746.jpg

DSC_2747.jpg

DSC_2733.jpg

DSC_2751.jpg

DSC_2752.jpg

We went and used out TT FP and then left for the afternoon. We went to the pool, took a nap and showered before heading to Ohana. We really love the food there and we have gone there before MNSSHP for the last few years. I like the shrimp the best and would love to have the peanut sauce recipe.
DSC_2765.jpg

DSC_2766.jpg

DSC_2767.jpg

DSC_2768.jpg

DSC_2770.jpg

DSC_2771.jpg

DSC_2772.jpg

DSC_2773.jpg

DSC_2777.jpg

DSC_2782.jpg

DSC_2785.jpg

Then we headed to MNSSHP. We have been going around the same time of year for the last four years. This is the most crowded I have ever seen it, which made it not as fun this year. There was also a stroller incident where a mother of three ran over my foot and said to me “that’s what you get for trying to cut me off” when I was walking in a straight line the whole time. EEKK. On a happier note, we saw the new cemetery at Haunted Mansion for the first time (which was so cool). I hope next year is not as busy. I love MNSSHP but because it was so busy, we didn`t get to enjoy it as much. I did however get my first Dole Whip of the trip.
DSC_2825.jpg

DSC_2824.jpg

DSC_2809.jpg

Weather: Really hot
Best Thing: Going to bed (I was really tired)
Worst Thing: Stroller incident at MNSSHP
Funniest Thing: DH making a mushroom dance at Tutto to make me laugh
New Thing: Haunted Mansion cemetery
Magical Thing: Headless horseman and Hallowishes

We headed to the food court at our resort for breakfast and wished we had gone to WPC instead. As we were getting dressed, DH found a poop bag in his pocket which made us both miss the dogs. We headed to Seaworld for the day. We rode Manta first, checked out the turtles (“Stitch” was missing a front flipper, so she swam like a scuba diver that was weighted too much on one side), and then headed to the Manta aquarium. We went to see the new killer whale show “One Ocean” which was good, but the trainers are still not in the water with the whales. Then we saw the show “Allure” which is a bad rip off of a cirque du soliel production- the show was really bad. We then headed to the shark exhibit and the penguin exhibit. We had lunch at the Smokehouse restaurant (the brisket was the best part). It was a really warm day again. We saw the Clyde and Seamore show and the mime clown at the beginning was so funny. We rode Kraken and Journey to Atlantis before heading back to the resort for pool time, a nap and a shower. As we passed by Kraken, we noticed that there are several “kraken eggs” and upon inspection, we saw that there was really something in there- an eel or something. Marco said it was a sad laugh being a kraken egg and I said maybe they take turns. “Ok, its your turn to be in the egg this week because I have family coming into town”..LOL.
We went to Citricos for dinner. It was really good, but our server was not in any hurry. This meal took more than 2 hours.

Weather: Surface of the sun hot
Best Thing: Riding Manta
Worst Thing: Heat and crowds- stupid kid steppedon my heel and popped a blister
Funniest Thing: mime pirate at the Clyde and Seamore show and the busboy at Citricos telling me to keep it down when the baby next to our table started fighting
New Thing: Allure show (stupid)
Magical Thing: Touching sting rays

DH woke up and his stomach was bothering him a little, so he was grumpy. We went to Kona for breakfast and he got the basic bacon and eggs, which he didn’t like (said it was swimming in grease) and I tried their version of the Eggs Benedict with the pulled pork (which was yummy).

We then headed to Islands of Adventure. We headed straight to Harry Potter, got a frozen butterbeer (YUMMY), rode the Forbidden Journey twice (amazing), the Dragon Challenge, River Adventure, Dr Doom and the Hulk (Spiderman was the only thing with a long line). We were able to cover so much ground so quickly, we left and had lunch at Wolfgang Puck Café (which was yummy as usual) and then headed to Typhoon Lagoon.

We started with the lazy river as per usual. We rode the banana line at Crush and Gusher and Marco lost his googles. We rode the Pineapple line on CnG and then headed to the shark reef. We enjoyed it so much we did it twice and thought this was a good warm up for Dive Quest. Storm along slides were next and then we tackled the wave pool before leaving. We love that wall of water coming at you.

Laundry and pool were next on the agenda. Because the weather was so warm, we had lots of dirty clothes. Afterwards, we headed to Jiko for dinner. It was yummy, but the steak on mac and cheese was missing. Our server said he could get it for me if I wanted, but I tried the pork dish (the steak would have been better). Right as we sat down for dessert, the fire alarm went off and we were evacuated. Of course, it was raining outside. It took about 30 minutes to get cleared to come back in, so we headed back, finished dessert and then headed back to the room for the night.

Weather: Like the surface of the sun and then afternoon/evening showers
Best Thing: Quick lines at Islands and getting to a waterpark
Worst Thing: Marco’s breakfast and Dr Doom breaking right as we were about to ride it
Funniest Thing: The little girl at the next table at WPC flirting with Marco
New Thing: Pulled pork eggs benedict
Magical Thing: Harry Potter and just being together

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter