13 and 15 year olds with autism... Kid's meals??

BabyBelle1

Earning My Ears
Both of my children have autism... My 15 year old daughter has major anxiety about food she does not like and eats small portions of what she does like. My 13 year old son is slightly more adventurous, but takes medication that restricts his appetite.

This is the main reason we no longer pay for the dining plan OR visit AYCTE restaurants... Neither of these options are worth the price in our family.

On our upcoming trip, we have ARs at:
Be Our Guest
50's Prime Time
Hollywood Brown Derby
Via Napoli
Rose and Crown
Kona Cafe (breakfast)

If I explain our situation to the hostess, will the restaurant allow my "kids" to order from the kid's menu?? Can they note "special dietary needs" on the reservation for this or is that unnecessary?? Again, we are NOT on the dining plan.. We've had issues with this situation before, but we WERE on he dining plan.

TIA!

I can't imagine they'd be too fickle about it. I'd note dietary restrictions on your reservations and then explain at the restaurant. My kids have shared meals for years there and never had issues. They would even split them in the back.

Even though the menus for the kids's meals say for guests 9 and under, we have not had issues ordering from them for adults.
As you mentioned, it is an issue with Dining plan, but not in general otherwise.
The only places that will definitely charge by age are buffets.

Since the DDP isn't a factor, there should be no problem with your kids ordering from the kids' menu. I have heard of some nonDisney-owned restaurants being more strict than Disney-owned ones, but that's usually when the DDP is involved which isn't the case here.

I am an adult and due to gastric surgery cannot eat a full adult meal. I order from the kids menus all the time. 99% of the time, the server doesn't blink an eye. Every once in a while, a server mentions that the portions are really small, and I explain more fully.

When we went in March and ate at the Sci- fi restaurant, I just asked nicely and they let my daughter order off of the kids menu. When we went to the liberty tree for lunch we explained that the only thing on the menu she would eat was the mashed potatoes, so could they charge us for a meal, but just bring the potatoes. The server brought us out a serving of mashed potatoes and charged us just for that. They are very willing to work with you.

I'm pretty sure they will let your kids order off the kids menu. Just explain your needs to the servers.

Thanks, everyone! The only time I ever had a problem with this situation was when we were using DDP and I explained the situation to the server. I remember having a hard time at Tutto and at WCC (no, we weren't trying to order the AYCTE platter)

Hopefully paying OOP, having "special needs" noted on the AR, and telling the hostess, not the server, will work better ;)

Our DD5 is autistic and eats like 7 foods. Period. She will only eat ribbed tube shaped pasta now. She used eat almost any pasta but you know how it is :confused3 anyway, she loves Biergarten but will literally not eat anything so they let her in as Non-Dining and we just bought her chicken nuggets from the American pavilion. They even offered to get them for us. We are DVC members so we will have a kitchen. I will probably be making pasta for her and bringing it in a container. I just need a bowl of hot water to warm it up...like a bottle. They are very accommodating. I don't think you'll have a problem other than at a buffet, you will probably have to pay for an adult.

When paying OOP
. . . anyone can order from any menu
. . . anyone can share/split with anyone without extra charge(s) *

* Except buffets, AYCTE, dinner shows, certain Via Napoli items (which you are not doing).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter