12 Nights at POP - ALL the way from Brisbane, Australia, WITH PICS Updated 6/13 Day12

Today was the day that DBF had been looking foward to the most, so he was really excited. We had booked our KSC tour with Gator Tours, as we had decided not to rent a car. Our pick up was at 8.10am from the Swan.

We set a wake up call for 6.30am & got dressed and we decided we would have breakfast at the Swan so at about 7.00am we got a taxi to the swan, once we arrived at the Swan we decided to have Breakfast at The Garden Grove Cafe. This was good, but they were a bit slow & we had to rush our food as the bus was picking us up at 8.10am.

The Bus ending up being about 20mins late & got to the Swan about 8.30am, we then picked some more people up from the Nickelodeon Hotel & then we were taken to a Walmart carpark that Gator tours used as a meeting point & some people who were going on other tours got off our bus & few more got on. At about 9.00am we were on our way.

Our tour guide (I can't remember his name) was excellent & kept us entertained on the drive. After about an hour we dropped some people off that were going on an Airboat ride. After we dropped them off we actually saw an Alligator on the grass on the side of the road, which was really good as our tour guide kept talking to us about Alligators. We then had to stop at a gas station to fill up. We finally got to KSC about 10.30. We were given our entry tickets and told to meet back at the bus at 4.30pm

Entrance:

America2007800.jpg

We then had to go through security & get our bags checked and go through a metal Detector, it was just like the airports and it took about 15mins. We finally entered the center and we grabbed a drink and some chips and took a few pics.

America2007803.jpg

Rocket Garden:
America2007801.jpg

America2007804.jpg

We decided to do the bus tour first. There was a bus waiting when we got in line and it took about 10mins to get to the 1st stop & on the way we saw the Vehicle Assembly building which is where they assemble the Shuttles, the bus driver told us that this is the 5th largest building in the world in Volume.

America2007809.jpg

We then arrived at the 1st stop which was the LC-39 Observation Gantry. From here we could see the launch pads. We were very lucky as the Space Shuttle Atlantis was going to be launched on thurs 6th Dec so we got to see it on the launch pad.

Empty Launch Pad:
America2007815.jpg

Launch pad with the Atlantis:
America2007817.jpg

You could take as long as you wanted at each stop as there was a bus every 10mins. We spent about 15mins here and then we lined up to get the next bus. It took about 10mins to get to the next stop which was the Apollo/Saturn V Center. When we got here we watched a movie about the Apollo 11 moon landing. This was really interesting and you moved through 3 different theatres to watch the differnt parts. It took about half an hour for the movie & then we went through to the main building to see a 365ft moon rocket. This was absolutley huge, it was such a great thing to see.

America2007833.jpg

They also had a few other exhibits around the building from all the different Apollo missions, they had a moon rock & an actual space suit, this stop was really interesting & was my favorite stop on the tour.

America2007836.jpg

America2007847.jpg

Moon Rock:
America2007850.jpg

They had a shop & a counter Service place (Moon Rock Cafe) here so we decided to grab some lunch as it was about 1pm. The lunch was disgusting, nowhere near as good as counter service at Disney.

After we ate we lined up for the bus to go to the third and Final stop which was the International Space Station Center. It took about 15mins to get here. We watched a movie about the international space station, and then we got to see them working on the Canadian section of the space station.

America2007862.jpg

We then got to walk through the sections of the rockets to see what they look like on the inside.

Toilet: They have to strap themselves in.
America2007856.jpg

America2007870.jpg

It was now 2.30pm so we decided to take the bus back to the Main Visitors complex. It took about 10mins to get back & then we decided to do the Shuttle Launch Experience, which was similar to Mission Space. I thought the Shuttle Launch Experience was more realistic than Mission space & it was more intense.

America2007873.jpg

It was now about 3.30pm & DBF wanted to get some souviners before we left so we spent 45mins in the gift shop because there was so many things he wanted to buy. I bought a Solar Powered Keyring that flashes & Says "Princess". It was now 4.15pm so we had to make our way back to the bus.

We really wanted more time here as we only got to do the bus tour and other than the shuttle launch experience we didn't get to do anything at the main visitors complex.

At 4.30pm we were all on the bus & we were waiting for 2 more people after about 5 mins the driver said." We've waited 5 mins, their not here & left without them. :eek: The bus left and took us to the Astronaut Hall of Fame. We arrived here at 4.45pm and we had 45mins to look around. This was a museum and was all about the Astronauts. It had lots of hands on exhibits and games. I would definatly recommend a quick stop here.

America2007874.jpg

America2007884.jpg

At 5.30 we left the Hall of fame and headed back to Orlando. At about 6.30pm we arrived back at the I-4 and started to drop people off at their Hotels. The Swan was one of the Last stops and we finally got back there at about 7.30pm. We then had to catch a taxi back to Pop, by the time we got back we were sooo Hungry & tired as it had been a really long day. We Quickly grabbed some food from Everything Pop and headed up to our room to relax.

I would definatly recommend a visit too KSC. DBF absolutley loved it & I thought it was really good to see. If I were to do it again. I would not go with Gator tours, it took too long to get there and back & not enough time at KSC.

Next Up: Sea World & a lot of Mini Golf

Oooh, I'm glad you had fun at Kennedy Space Center!! We went there for a day on our trip in 2006, and had a disasterous day!! We went with Gator Tours too, and well... they were terrible!! We went on a horrible old bus with no air-conditioning, and oil from the vents dripped on my white top! Boooo!

Also, our driver had a really thick Russian accent, and we couldn't understand what she was saying the whole time! We actually went on a launch day, which would have been very exciting, except the shuttle ended up being cancelled! Not only did we not get to see the launch, all the rest of the exhibits were closed, and we didn't see any of them, either!! Poo!

Hehheheeee. We'll definitely head back there next time, but hire a car and drive there ourselves instead.

Can't wait to hear about SeaWorld! I love SeaWorld! Shamu, Shamu!! :banana:

Loved your KSC update and pics. The one of toilet is too funny, never thought about them strapping themselves down :lmao: but I guess they would float away. Looking forward to your Sea World update.

Thanks for answering all my questions. I am really glad that you enjoyed the KSC, I think we will go as it is something that my DBF will like, and as I have dragged him to Disney it's the least I can do ;) . It's a pity about the transportation company, from another poster I think it might be a recurring theme. I really hope you enjoyed Sea World, I have been to the one in San Diego and it was really great.

I am enjoying reading your TR. Glad to hear that your DBF ended up feeling better.

So far it looks like you guys picked a great time to visit the "world". With no long lines and crowds...

My DH and I are taking our 2 boys to the "world" in Sept for a 12 day trip:cheer2: :cheer2:

I really want to ride TOT and RNRC at Hollywood Studios. How scary are these 2 rides? I really don't do too well with heights but since TOT is enclosed I think I might be ok. I have never done a roller coaster that goes upside down. My ? is can you really tell that you are going upside down on RNRC? Is it alot like Space Mt? (which I love!!!)

Can't wait to continue reading about your trip!!!

Oooh, I'm glad you had fun at Kennedy Space Center!! We went there for a day on our trip in 2006, and had a disasterous day!! We went with Gator Tours too, and well... they were terrible!! We went on a horrible old bus with no air-conditioning, and oil from the vents dripped on my white top! Boooo!

Also, our driver had a really thick Russian accent, and we couldn't understand what she was saying the whole time! We actually went on a launch day, which would have been very exciting, except the shuttle ended up being cancelled! Not only did we not get to see the launch, all the rest of the exhibits were closed, and we didn't see any of them, either!! Poo!

Hehheheeee. We'll definitely head back there next time, but hire a car and drive there ourselves instead.

Can't wait to hear about SeaWorld! I love SeaWorld! Shamu, Shamu!! :banana:

Sounds like you had a bad time at KSC. It's A shame you didn't get to see the Launch. If we went again we would definitely Hire a car as well.

Loved your KSC update and pics. The one of toilet is too funny, never thought about them strapping themselves down :lmao: but I guess they would float away. Looking forward to your Sea World update.

Thanks for reading. The toilet was really interesting to see, I had never thought about them having to strap themselves in either.

Thanks for answering all my questions. I am really glad that you enjoyed the KSC, I think we will go as it is something that my DBF will like, and as I have dragged him to Disney it's the least I can do ;) . It's a pity about the transportation company, from another poster I think it might be a recurring theme. I really hope you enjoyed Sea World, I have been to the one in San Diego and it was really great.

Thanks for reading. You should really take A trip to KSC it was definitley worth it. If you were going I would rent A car if you can it will be a much more enjoyable day. I have been to Sea world San Diego as well, but I was 10 so I don't really remember it.

I am enjoying reading your TR. Glad to hear that your DBF ended up feeling better.

So far it looks like you guys picked a great time to visit the "world". With no long lines and crowds...

My DH and I are taking our 2 boys to the "world" in Sept for a 12 day trip:cheer2: :cheer2:

I really want to ride TOT and RNRC at Hollywood Studios. How scary are these 2 rides? I really don't do too well with heights but since TOT is enclosed I think I might be ok. I have never done a roller coaster that goes upside down. My ? is can you really tell that you are going upside down on RNRC? Is it alot like Space Mt? (which I love!!!)

Can't wait to continue reading about your trip!!!

Thanks for Reading. Dec was a great time to go, no lines the whole trip, it was great. I think you should do RNRC & TOT, they weren't really that scary. DBF is afraid of heights but he was fine with TOT, so you shouldn't have a problem. With RNRC I didn't realise I was upside down until after we turned back the right way. The upside down loop is over really quickly and it is soo much fun. Its a Must Do. Hope you enjoy your trip with your 2 boys.

We woke up early today as we wanted to be at Seaworld by 9.00am. DBF was not looking forward to Seaworld today, as we have a Sea World about an hour from us down at the Gold Coast & we have been there heaps of times. I had been to Seaworld San Diego & I kept telling him that this would be soo much better but he wasn't listening.

We grabbed a quick breakfast at Everything Pop & at 8.00am we caught a Taxi to Seaworld, we arrived at about 8.20am. The Taxi only cost $20 including tip. Seaworld Didn't open until 9.00am but at 8.30 they opened the gates & let us into a small area of the park. We also found out that Kraken was closed for maintenance, That was really dissapointing as I had been looking forward to it. We waited around this area until 9.00am.

America2007887.jpg

When 9am rolled around we decided to have a look at a few of the animals.
We started with the flamingo's & the Turtles.

America2007889.jpg

We then went & saw the Stingrays, which you could actually touch. While we were standing here a couple of people heard our accents and starting asking us about Steve Irwin, suddenly all these people starting coming over and we had to spend about 15mins talking to A huge group of people about Steve Irwin. Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo is only about half an hour from where we live & we have been there a lot, so everyone was interested in hearing about that. It's great how everyone is the US loves Steve.:love:

America2007740.jpg

After the Stingrays we went to Dolphin Cove & we got to touch the dolphins which was pretty cool. After the Dolphins we headed over to the Alligators & the Manatees. The Manatees were great to see as we don't have these in Australia so that was something new for us.

America2007745.jpg

After the Manatees we decided to go on Journey to Atlantis. We walked straight on this ride with no wait at all. It was really quiet at Seaworld today. Hardly any people around at all. Journey to Atlantis was really good. Loved the part at the end with the Roller coaster. Definatley would recommend this ride.

America2007747.jpg

We then headed to The Penguin Encounter, this was really great, just like in Happy Feet.

America2007749.jpg

We then checked out the Shark Encounter. This was really good, there were some really big sharks here & it was great to have them swimming over the top of you. We also saw the Deadly fish exhibit. DBF loved this & it was really interesting.

America2007756.jpg

We then went to Pacific Point Preserve where we checked out the Seals, they were soo funny they were jumping up on the rail and making really loud noises. We paid $4 for the tray of fish & we fed them this was really great. The sea world in Aus you don't get to feed any of the animals so this was awesome.

America2007759.jpg

We were pretty hungry by now so we decided to have any early lunch at the Hospitality Deli. We both had roast Sandwiches & I have to say the counter service food at Disney is soo much better. We then went over to the Pearl Dive and had a look, they had some divers that could hold their breathe underwater for ages. After the pearl Dive we decided to check out the underwater viewing area for the whales. There was only 1 whale in the viewing area, don't know if it was Shamu or not.

America2007764.jpg

The park was getting busy now so we went on The Polar Express, we had to wait about 15 mins for this. I really liked it but DBF thought it was lame & said the movement didn't match properly with what was happening on the screen. After the train ride we checked out the animals in here, we got to see some Beluga whales & polar bears & a Huge Walrus. The only downside to this was that it was very poor lighting and we couldn't see the animals very clearly.

America2007767.jpg

I really wanted to see the Shamu show but it was only 12.30pm & Shamu wasn't on till 1.45pm. We had seen everything else we wanted to & DBF had been bugging me all day about Mini Golf so we decided to Skip Shamu & we Left.

We caught a Taxi to the Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf & arrived here about 1pm. We decided to play the Fairways course. This was really hard & it took us soo long to play even though we were the only ones on the course. This one is definatly not for the kids. After the golf we decided we would walk to Epcot & catch the bus back to Pop from there. We walked to the Swan & relaxed on the hammocks on the beach for a couple of minutes. I kept falling off & couldn't stay on.

America2007776.jpg

America2007777.jpg

We then walked to the Boardwalk & had a look around. DBF decided he wanted to have a nice dinner tonight so we had a look at all the Menu's but he couldn't find anything he liked. We continued our walk to Epcot & on the way we saw a couple getting married. It was soo sweet I would love to get married at Disney world.

America2007779.jpg

America2007780.jpg

America2007781.jpg

We went through the international Gateway & walked through Epcot to get to the busses. It took about an hour & a half from the time we left the mini golf until the time we reached the bus stops. We got back to pop about 3.30pm & DBF said he was going to ask the Concierge to reccomend something for dinner. ( I kept telling him that we wouldn't be able to get anywhere good as we didn't have an ADR) So when he gets back he tells me that we are eating at Shula's Steakhouse @ the Dolphin @ 7.30pm & he said it was the only place he could get in. ( Ha I was right) I had never even heard of Shula's so I didn't know what to expect. We had a couple of hours rest at the hotel. I read Harry Potter while DBF played his PS3.

At 7.00pm we decided we would just catch a taxi to the dolphin as we couldn't be bothered dealing with Disney Transport. We got to Shula's and looked at the menu & it was expensive! DBF said he didn't care & was looking foward to a Steak. We went to our table and they bought around a trolley with all the raw meat on it & we had to pick which cut we wanted. I can't remember what we picked but I did NOT like mine. I'm not a big fan of steak & I thought this was disgusting. DBF liked his though. When we got the bill it was $145 for 2 steaks & 2 glasses of coke. It was not worth this & I would NEVER eat here again.

We decided since we were at the Dolphin that we would play another round af mini golf. We played the Gardens course this time and this was much easier. DBF beat me Again. There was this family playing in front of us & the daughter who would have been about 12, dropped her glasses into the water & DBF went in and got them for her. He was soo wet. We also got to see Illuminations while we were playing. It was now about 10pm so we decided we would just catch a taxi back to Pop. We had to wait a while for the taxi but we got back about 10.30pm

Overall it was a really good day. I would have liked to see some of the shows at sea world but otherwise it was great. Loved playing mini golf & I really enjoyed seeing the Boardwalk, I would LOVE to stay here sometime.

Next up: Animal Kingdom

Can't wait for the next update. I am glad that you enjoyed your time at Sea World. I love seeing whales so this is one place we plan to visit. Seeing as though you have been to the other Sea Worlds how does this one compare? I have been to the one in San Diego but not the one in my own country ;) .I am sorry you meal was bad and so expensive, I just know that when we go I am going to have to budget a lot of money in for food. Till next time.

Lovin you trip report.:cool1: I love POP, we've stayed there a few times. You're more adventurous than I though, taxis...golfing...wandering. Way to go. I guess that goes with age though:lmao: Can't wait to read more. popcorn::

I'll be the second person from Winnipeg to post on your trip report! (hi purplepeg!) Great TR so far, love the pictures. One thing that struck me about this TR is that next trip, you better make your DBF let you do all the things you want to do! :thumbsup2

Hi Shir Khan:wave2: I agree with you too. When do you get to do what you want? Loving your TR and the pictures. Especially of the places I haven't seen. I've only been to Disney World. Keep it coming.:surfweb: popcorn::

Can't wait for the next update. I am glad that you enjoyed your time at Sea World. I love seeing whales so this is one place we plan to visit. Seeing as though you have been to the other Sea Worlds how does this one compare? I have been to the one in San Diego but not the one in my own country ;) .I am sorry you meal was bad and so expensive, I just know that when we go I am going to have to budget a lot of money in for food. Till next time.

Sea World in Orlando was The Best Seaworld that I have been to. Sea world in Aus in Alright, It has more rides than orlando & San Diego but the ones in the US are heaps better and the one on the Gold Coast doesn't have Shamu.

LOVED the KSC and Sea World pictures! Looking forward to more...:rotfl:

Thanks for Reading. I hope to post another update in the next couple of Days.

Lovin you trip report.:cool1: I love POP, we've stayed there a few times. You're more adventurous than I though, taxis...golfing...wandering. Way to go. I guess that goes with age though:lmao: Can't wait to read more. popcorn::

Thanks for reading. I loved POP, If I go again we will stay there again for sure. It might be the only time we get to go as we live so far away so we had to be adventurous. :cool1:

I'll be the second person from Winnipeg to post on your trip report! (hi purplepeg!) Great TR so far, love the pictures. One thing that struck me about this TR is that next trip, you better make your DBF let you do all the things you want to do! :thumbsup2

Thanks for reading. I wanted to go to Disney & DBF didn't want to go at all so I had to compromise on some of the things we did, but that was ok. I just wanted to be there.

Hi Shir Khan:wave2: I agree with you too. When do you get to do what you want? Loving your TR and the pictures. Especially of the places I haven't seen. I've only been to Disney World. Keep it coming.:surfweb: popcorn::

The last night of the trip was my night, we did everything I wanted to do including MVMCP. But I was just happy to be there I didn't really mind & I wanted him to enjoy it so he would want to go back.

good stuff

Thanks for reading. I hope to have another update in the next couple of Days. Happy Easter everyone

I see you watched Staceyprincess: in your room at Pop Century. Being from Australia, I'm suprised you knew of her....I guess you read some posts here about her. So do you have a favorite phrase of hers, such as 'Pretzels und beer"?

Ours is....fish, fish, fish,...everywhere a fish...

Loving your TR, I thought our journey to WDW was bad but OMG yours is much worse! Your poor DBF getting so ill on the plane, so pleased he was able to get on the connecting flights!

Your time at WDW sounds great so far and we love a bit of downtime mini golf too, last year I had a hole in 1 on the Fairways course :yay:

Ooooo more more more!! lol loving the trip report =) x

Welcome , Thanks for reading. Will have another update later today.

Loving your TR, I thought our journey to WDW was bad but OMG yours is much worse! Your poor DBF getting so ill on the plane, so pleased he was able to get on the connecting flights!

Your time at WDW sounds great so far and we love a bit of downtime mini golf too, last year I had a hole in 1 on the Fairways course :yay:

Thanks for reading. A hole in 1 on the Fairways. WOW you must be good, I think the best I got on a hole was 4.

loving your report! Can't wait to read more. Happy Easter to you too!:banana:

Welcome. Thanks for reading

I wanted to be at AK for rope drop, so we set the wake up call for 7.30am & we arrived at AK about 8.30am. I wanted to eat at Rainforest Cafe that day as I had eaten there at Disneyland & loved it. So we went to see if we could get a table for that day. The only time they had left was at 11am or 4pm. So we booked for 11 & thought we would have an early lunch.

We went through the rainforest Cafe entrance into AK & there was no line to get in. We then headed in and saw the opening ceremony.

America2007643.jpg

After the opening Ceremony we headed with the rest of the crowd to Everest.

America2007645.jpg

We walked straight on & rode twice in a row with absolutley no wait at all. I LOVED this ride. It was awesome. I would have to saw the best ride at WDW. As we finished the 2nd ride the car in front of us all got Dream Fastpasses. I was soo annoyed we didn't get one.

We grabbed a FP for later & then we headed over to Kali, when we got there the castmember said It was closed & they weren't sure when it would be opening so we decided to do the Maharajah Jungle trek. This was really good & we both really enjoyed just walking through & looking at all the animals.

America2007650.jpg

After the jungle trek we decided we would head over to Kilimanjaro Safaris. We headed over to harambe & we grabbed a coke & a churro on the way. I really love AK, just walking around the paths was really great. We got to KS and the wait was 20mins so we got in line & only ended up waiting about 10mins. I loved the Safari, we have nothing like this in Aus so it was really great seeing all the animals just roaming around. We did have to wait about 10mins as a giraffe was sitting on the track. We got to see a heap of animals. Most of my photo's didn't turn out very well on this but here are a few that did.

America2007671.jpg

America2007672.jpg

America2007673.jpg

America2007679.jpg

After the Safari we did the Pagani forest Exploration trail. I really loved the gorilla's I could stand and watch them all day, I just love the way they act so human like.

America2007688.jpg

America2007693.jpg

America2007699.jpg

It was now about 10.30 so we decided we would see if Kali was open yet, but it wasn't so we used our FP for everest. We then walked back to Rainforest cafe for our Lunch. We had a great lunch the portions were Huge & the food was really good.

We left Rainforest cafe at 12.00 & we headed over to Kali to see if it was open yet & It was. We waited about 10mins. I was really dissapointed in this it was soo short & noone in our raft got wet at all. I dunno if this was because they were having difficulties, but there didn't seem to be much water in there.

After Kali we headed over to Camp Minnie Mickey for the 1pm FOTLK show. I LOVED IT. This was one of the best shows I have ever seen, we got the whole thing on video & I have watched it soo many times since we have been back. DBF didn't really like it, he thought it was boring.

The park was getting really crowded now so we decided to head back to POP for a swim & we would come back for EMH that night. We waited about 15mins for a bus and we got back to pop about 2.30pm & we had a swim in the hippy dippy pool. We went back to the room, had a quick shower and then about 4.30pm we headed back to AK as EMH started at 5pm.

When we arrived at AK everyone was leaving, we pretty much had the park to ourselves there was hardly anyone around.

America2007712.jpg

This one is a bit blurry.
America2007714.jpg

We headed to Its Tough to be A bug. I loved this show, it would be a bit scary for kids though. The little girl next to me starting crying & they had to take her out of the theatre.

America2007717.jpg

After ITTBAB we headed over to Dinoland USA, on the way we saw a group of the pop warner cheerleaders doing a cheer, but this was the only time the whole trip we even saw any of them.

We went on primeval whirl, which had absolutley no wait at all. This was good but the ride is way to short.

America2007719.jpg

We then headed to Dinosaur. This scared the pants off me, I was holding on to DBF the whole time. He bought the photo as he thought it was funny. I love the guy in the 2nd row he was hilarious.

IMG.jpg

After Dinosaur we had dinner at Restaurantasaurus. This was pretty good we both enjpyed it. We then decided we head over to Everest again, when we walked from Dinoland to Everest we didn't see anyone at all, it was soo weird walking around with no one else there, I didn't expect it to be like that I thought the EMH would be busy. We rode Everest twice with no wait at all. This is soo much better at night it had a different feel to it. I would definatly recommend doing this at night if you get the chance it felt like it was going so much faster.

It was about 7pm now & we had done everything we wanted to do so we decided to head back to Pop. We stopped at one of the shops on the way out & I bought a tink sweatshirt & a Pluto toy. We got back to pop about 7.45pm & we just relaxed in the room.

I really loved AK, I really would have liked to have some more time there during the day but unfortunatley today was the only day we got to AK. I really wanted to see the Finding Nemo Musical as well but we just didn't get to it. If I ever get to go again I would allow 2 days for AK.

Next up: Universal Studios & Downtown Disney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter