12 days with no suitcase- possible?

Why not grab an uber/taxi/whatever to Target and buy toiletries and extra clothes there? I mean if you're there for 12 days, you have time for a stop. You can grab food and laundry detergent there, too, and have lunch/dinner at Sweet Tomatoes next door (so good - soup & salad buffet).

I mean, we do that every trip on day 1 or 2, and our trips are usually 9 days.

I understand that you are speaking from the experience of someone who works for an airline, but please understand that I am speaking from the experience of a frequent traveler. I appreciate you pointing out that the rules for carry-ons are likely going to be different on an international carrier, and OP should definitely check on the rules before committing to this plan of action, but I think you're being unnecessarily confrontational with all this talk of "torment" and your assumptions that anyone who goes carry-on only goes unprepared for their trip.

Last fall I went to WDW on a 7 day trip using only carry-on (two backpacks, actually; one a regular size that goes under the seat, one a lightweight backpacking pack). After packing 9 days' worth of outfits (I like to be prepared), all my toiletries and first aid supplies, my iPad, sunglasses, paperwork, park bag, extra shoes (I had a total of three pairs of walking shoes including the ones I wore on the plane, plus flip-flops for the pool), swimsuit, chargers -- basically everything except oversize liquids -- I actually had a comfortable amount of space left over in each bag. I bought several souvenirs and had no trouble bringing them home. I will grant you that 12 days is about the longest I'd do without a checked bag if I did not plan to do laundry (actually not that onerous if you're going to have a resort day or two, which is a good idea on a trip that long anyway), but that's all I'll grant you.

I'm really confused by this argument and I think you've misunderstood the premise. The duffel bag isn't there to be "snuck on"; if one ends up needing the extra bag on the way home, one checks the extra bag. I'm also confused by why you're arguing that "Bag checking is a pain and expensive" after spending so much time trying to convince everyone that checking a bag is the only way to travel. :confused3 Yeah, you're right, it is a pain and it is expensive. The duffel bag option is just recognizing the fact that it may be necessary after shopping in the park.

Ah, this one is actually a good point, and should be addressed. The way to deal with this problem is to go with an airline that allows you to pick your seat ahead of time. Pick a seat that boards relatively early, even if it means you'll be near the back of the plane and have to wait a little longer to get back off. The earlier of a boarding group you're in, the better your chances are of getting an overhead bin -- and when you arrive at the plane, don't be shy about putting your bag in a bin several rows (or even half a plane if you didn't get a good boarding group) away your actual seat. Again, as someone who's been going carry-on only for the last decade, I've done this and not had trouble getting my larger carry-on on the plane.

Okay, once again I'm confused by your argument. This sounds more like you're arguing against traveling alone at all? :confused: What does sitting in the middle seat have to do with your carry-on luggage? If you're talking about not having under-seat space, that's solved by being savvy when you pick your seats. Frankly the middle seat issue is solved the same way.

If you're talking about not having legroom once you put your bag under the seat in front of you, there's a solution for that, too. I'm tall for a woman, and I found a way around that issue years ago. The bag has to be under the seat for takeoff and landing, but there's no rule about it staying under there for the full duration of the flight. As soon as we're cruising, I pull my backpack out from under the seat and tuck it close to my own seat, under my knees, so I can put my feet under the seat in front of me and stretch out. Makes it easier to get at my in-flight entertainment, too.

Let me clarify,
1. I ASSUME this person is flying internationally from TLV.. I know no airline from TLV that does not have a 1 piece checked bag part of the ticket.. she does not have to pay for checked luggage.. from her original post, I read that her main concern was luggage getting lost.. Yes, this CAN happen, but as also a world / frequent traveler, I would not even think about NOT utilizing this allotment. For ME waiting a few minutes for my bag, is worth not stressing if I have room for everything. Hench the "torment" for me it would be torment to think how to pack like this, espcially if I dont HAVE to. ( have to for me meany paying 150 one way for checked).

2.didnt say anything against traveling alone, but it is different for a family of four finding space then a person alone..as a group you can move things around.. ex. put the roller under the seat by the kids who need no leg room. If she is sat between two larger passengers there is no room to move her bags from under the seat. By inflight box I meant, that in each row, there is a circuit box on the floor.. this wires the inflight entertainment.. this is on the floor under every few seats... many may have noticed that sometimes you only have half the space for your legs and no roller will fit... this is because this box takes up the space.

3.By the duffle bag, I assumed again that she is attempting to carry-on 3 items,,, said roller, "personal items" which is actually a carry-on and then the duffle.. on smaller european flights, she will most likely by stopped and asked to gate check... sorry I had meant gate check, Not bag check,.. gate check is expensive...

I wish the OP a nice trip...... if you go carry-on only I praise you... I seem to buy and collect too much at Disney and the Outlets... I myself couldnt do one night with carry-on.. but that is my problem :)

Why not grab an uber/taxi/whatever to Target and buy toiletries and extra clothes there? I mean if you're there for 12 days, you have time for a stop. You can grab food and laundry detergent there, too, and have lunch/dinner at Sweet Tomatoes next door (so good - soup & salad buffet).

I mean, we do that every trip on day 1 or 2, and our trips are usually 9 days.
I think for such a longer trip, you ca win back your taxi fare easily but buying all toiletireis, water, some food.. etc.... a carry-on size sunscreen wont last 10 days..and resort prices are insane. as one example.

3.By the duffle bag, I assumed again that she is attempting to carry-on 3 items,,, said roller, "personal items" which is actually a carry-on and then the duffle.. on smaller european flights, she will most likely by stopped and asked to gate check... sorry I had meant gate check, Not bag check,.. gate check is expensive...
Forgive me just asking a clarifying question..when you mean gate check is expensive do you mean if the person had an item that was against airline rules and had to gate check it versus there just not being enough room on the plane for overhead bin space and the airline requiring you to gate check there (which happens sometimes on full flights on normal-sized planes too).

As mentioned in my post I haven't flown international but on a Delta flight so I'm not sure what the European airlines rules on costs associated with gate checking which is why I am asking this clarifying question.

If you can make that work---I bow down!!!

That would never work for me. But you know, there are people that can pack all they need in a gallon ziplock bag and be good to go.
I need outfit choices, more than 1 pair of shoes. I'm not THAT low maintenance but for those who are, travel on!

On topic, I'll say there's no way we'd be able to travel for that long with a personal bag & a carry-on. We don't wear anything twice w/o washing it & I'm picky about toiletries.

Off topic, do you live in Jerusalem? Every time I see your user name, I get a little jealous. :p I live in FL & can go to WDW anytime, but the Holy Land is my dream trip.

I am going to say this in the nicest tone I possibly can. I hate all you people carrying on your entire lives, making the loading/unloading of the plane take forever, and taking up the aisle so people can't get through. Not to mention the copious amounts of heavy overhead luggage that has hit me in the head or crushed my foot. The tons of carry-ons is also one of the main factors for long security lines:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

A different perspective on the lost luggage thing is that sometimes it lets you make really cool, unexpected purchases. Our luggage got lost on an anniversary trip to Hawaii. I wasn't about to miss out on the beach or the nice dinner we had planned the next evening. So, I purchased the best looking on me bathing suit, the cutest dress, and the best necklace and bracelet I have ever had. The bathing suit has finally worn out. However, I still wear the dress. It's a cotton Hawaiian print sheath dress that looks great for dinner and was $30 at a nicer hotel in Kohala. I plan to wear it to Tchoup Chop at Royal Pacific at Universal next week. The necklace and bracelet are fresh water black pearls. They look awesome with almost everything. We did get the luggage back the day after we arrived.

I'm the one who suggested jeans in October, and unfortunately, I have needed them in October more than once. One trip when we landed it was to record heat. A few days later we were all buying hoodies and sweatshirts to try and stay warm. I was grateful I had my jeans along! October isn't always hot, or even very warm.

Edited to add: The end of October shows an average low of 60. So yeah, one pair of jeans is probably a good idea.

Ah, this brings up another good point -- the weight of the clothing one will want will depend on how one prefers to dress in the expected weather. I know another poster from Alaska mentioned that they still wanted jeans for Florida's October weather, so this won't apply even to all northerners, but I live in Montana and have always run hot. I bust out the shorts (well, capris) as soon as we hit 50 degrees. 60 in Florida will feel chillier than 60 in a less humid area, but I've always been fine in that kind of weather as long as I've got a good jacket to keep my core warm.

Let me clarify,
1. I ASSUME this person is flying internationally from TLV.. I know no airline from TLV that does not have a 1 piece checked bag part of the ticket.. she does not have to pay for checked luggage.. from her original post, I read that her main concern was luggage getting lost.. Yes, this CAN happen, but as also a world / frequent traveler, I would not even think about NOT utilizing this allotment. For ME waiting a few minutes for my bag, is worth not stressing if I have room for everything. Hench the "torment" for me it would be torment to think how to pack like this, espcially if I dont HAVE to. ( have to for me meany paying 150 one way for checked).

2.didnt say anything against traveling alone, but it is different for a family of four finding space then a person alone..as a group you can move things around.. ex. put the roller under the seat by the kids who need no leg room. If she is sat between two larger passengers there is no room to move her bags from under the seat. By inflight box I meant, that in each row, there is a circuit box on the floor.. this wires the inflight entertainment.. this is on the floor under every few seats... many may have noticed that sometimes you only have half the space for your legs and no roller will fit... this is because this box takes up the space.

I wish the OP a nice trip...... if you go carry-on only I praise you... I seem to buy and collect too much at Disney and the Outlets... I myself couldnt do one night with carry-on.. but that is my problem :)

1. Okay, so that's what works for you. That's fine.

2. I don't put a roller under the seat, because I've never seen a roller that would fit under the seat. the nice thing about the backpack (which I take care not to pack much into) is that it squishes to fit.

3. As I said, when those of us who play the carry-on game advise bringing a duffel, we are not advising the OP to try to break carry-on rules. We are advising the OP to bring a spare bag they can check on the way home if needed.

I am going to say this in the nicest tone I possibly can. I hate all you people carrying on your entire lives, making the loading/unloading of the plane take forever, and taking up the aisle so people can't get through. Not to mention the copious amounts of heavy overhead luggage that has hit me in the head or crushed my foot. The tons of carry-ons is also one of the main factors for long security lines:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

You're not very good at this "nicest tone" thing.

I'm the one who suggested jeans in October, and unfortunately, I have needed them in October more than once. One trip when we landed it was to record heat. A few days later we were all buying hoodies and sweatshirts to try and stay warm. I was grateful I had my jeans along! October isn't always hot, or even very warm.

Edited to add: The end of October shows an average low of 60. So yeah, one pair of jeans is probably a good idea.
I once had an October trip where the temps swung about 30 degrees in just a few days. Started in the mid-90s and very humid, down to the low 60s and windy! I was scrambling for warm clothes, since I had packed almost all sleeveless tops, shorts and sandals. What I wouldn't have given for a pair of jeans and some warm socks! And this was mid-October! You just never know.

I am going to say this in the nicest tone I possibly can. I hate all you people carrying on your entire lives, making the loading/unloading of the plane take forever, and taking up the aisle so people can't get through. Not to mention the copious amounts of heavy overhead luggage that has hit me in the head or crushed my foot. The tons of carry-ons is also one of the main factors for long security lines
I totally get your point. It took FOREVER to get off the plane when I got back from my most recent vaca which was a week ago..course the fact that it was 11:30 pm and several people had babies on board didn't help either. The flight crew actually joked "you don't have to go home but you do have to get off the plane".

That being said I want to get off the plane as fast as possible. It takes me no time at all to get my carry on from the overhead bins nor does it take me any time to get my personal item from underneath the seat; in fact my personal item from underneath my seat is up in my lap as soon as we touch the platform thingy (umm can't remember the technical term used). Any items I took out of my personal item are back in my personal item during the final descent (aside from my cell phone).

IMHO the type of people you are describing are really just those types of people (ones who take forever to get their stuff ready to go, those who don't care who they hit with their bags and lack general spacial awareness). If you want to get yourself on the plane quickly and are considerate of other passengers it will take you no time at all without hurting anyone (sorry you've been hit in the head *ouch*).

As for security...while a story did come out a few months ago regarding impact of carry on bags and personal bags on security lines in regards to size and how many allowed I'm just not really buying it at least with the airports I've been too. It took more time for me to get through the line of people waiting to get through the body scanners than it did for my carry on, personal item and tub (that had my shoes and belt in it) to get through the metal detector in the 4 most recent times I've flown (in April from MCI to BWI, BWI to MCI and in July MCI to BWI, BWI to MCI).

I personally found the largest problem to actually be the sheer number of small things people had in their pockets that actually took the longest because they had to take those items out into the tub and then again out of the tub and put them all back in their pockets along with putting their shoes on and belt and/or jacket if they had one on all in a small space not designed for this. I mean for reals put your jewelry (incl watches), wallets (except for ID if need be), coins, headphones, etc in your bag for the few minutes it will take you to get through security.

Of course these are just my personal opinions and experiences which will def. differ from others and I can certaintly understand your viewpoint.

Last edited:
Forgive me just asking a clarifying question..when you mean gate check is expensive do you mean if the person had an item that was against airline rules and had to gate check it versus there just not being enough room on the plane for overhead bin space and the airline requiring you to gate check there (which happens sometimes on full flights on normal-sized planes too).

As mentioned in my post I haven't flown international but on a Delta flight so I'm not sure what the European airlines rules on costs associated with gate checking which is why I am asking this clarifying question.
Each airline is different. You really have to read the fine print. Budget airlines are also different than premium. Some also charge different fees for when. Example when you book it can be cheaper at time if booking. Some have tiers based on weight ( you decide how heavy) At check-in it's more. Spirit I believe charged 50 at counter, 100 at gate. Depends also on gate staff, loads, and if they are rushed to close flight. Some budget even charge for carry-on. No airline is the same.

Each airline is different. You really have to read the fine print. Budget airlines are also different than premium. Some also charge different fees for when. Example when you book it can be cheaper at time if booking. Some have tiers based on weight ( you decide how heavy) At check-in it's more. Spirit I believe charged 50 at counter, 100 at gate. Depends also on gate staff, loads, and if they are rushed to close flight. Some budget even charge for carry-on. No airline is the same.
Yeah I could totally see that with real buget airlines like Spirit. The time that I had to gate check a bag was due to space constraints of the overhead bins and thus we were never charged for that and that was on a U.S. Airways flight which was a domestic flight anyways.

I guess I was more or less asking if you were speaking of gate checking as a result of an issue with the passenger's items being against the rules versus an issue on the airline like lack of space available. But to your point that would probably still depend on the airline though I would hope airlines wouldn't charge if it was due to something on their end.

Yeah I could totally see that with real buget airlines like Spirit. The time that I had to gate check a bag was due to space constraints of the overhead bins and thus we were never charged for that and that was on a U.S. Airways flight which was a domestic flight anyways.

I guess I was more or less asking if you were speaking of gate checking as a result of an issue with the passenger's items being against the rules versus an issue on the airline like lack of space available. But to your point that would probably still depend on the airline though I would hope airlines wouldn't charge if it was due to something on their end.

They will only charge if there are carryon feed or it's obvious the bag exceeds Carry-on size or if you show up with obvious many carry-ons. Carry-on size is actually the same dimensions as under the seat. Just so happens more fits above ( and that depends on aircraft too). It's also a safety thing. I NEVER put my kids on an isle seat. God forbid a suitcase comed down.

I'll be travelling international at the end of October and this time in order to save money (saving about $500!!!) I'll be flying through Europe. So 3 separate flights, 2 connections in order to get home to WDW. :)

I'm REALLY worried about losing my suitcase somewhere on the way and so was considering not bringing one at all and managing with a carry-on.
I'll be staying 11 nights, 12 days.

I was considering shoving a duffel bag in there so that I can possibly use it on the way back if I buy too many souvenirs ;)

Any thoughts on this? Good idea? Awful idea?
Thanks!
:flower:

OP- check out the EBags TLS Motherload Weekender bag. It's my all-time favorite carry on suitcase. I have a very old video (ignore the quality LOL!) of a review I did of it on YouTube so you can see the dimensions, features and whatnot. We have flown internationally with it (we have two) as has my sister and her husband. It's the best carryon suitcase ever!

I did 11 days in Scotland with only a carry on. My husband did too. They key to traveling this way is a capsule wardrobe and packing cubes. Google it for great ideas!

I've done 4 night domestic USA business trips with only a carry on and my laptop backpack, and didn't have any problems. What didn't fit in my carry on, I put in my laptop backpack. 11 nights is definitely doable, but you'll need to do laundry a couple of times while at Disney.

For toiletries, I only brought a stick of deoderant, my travel toothbrush, razor, a travel size toothpaste and a travel size can of shaving creme. All that easily fit in a quart bag. I used the hotel soap and shampoo.

If I was doing your trip, I would pack two pairs of pants or shorts, two shirts, two pairs of socks, two pairs of underwear and a T-shirt and shorts to sleep in. Wear the shoes you will wear in the park while flying. Also, whatever clothes you wear while flying, wear in the park the first day. If you need to take a light jacket, take it with you on the plane and use it as a blanket.

I think it's possible IF you aren't traveling with kids.

With kids. 1 carry on is just enough for my DS' STUFF he HAS TO HAVE ( like all his babies he sleeps with, his special blankie, his special milk cup he NEEDS to have his kindle and favorite book etc etc)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter