12 Days of Good Eats **Completed 8/29**

Thanks, everyone! We're going through the post-trip blues, and we miss the food at WDW. We use our new refillable mugs every day.

The Garden Grill was pretty good. We ate there before, and my kids get a kick out of the revloving restaurant. My ds picked The Garden Grill as the place to celebrate his birthday. We ordered him a 6" cake when we checked into the restaurant.

Food-wise, everything was fresh. I didn't take food pictures here on this trip because the food was almost the same as the pictures I already have for GG, which I'll post below. I'm not a seafood person, but I like their catfish. Dh and I especially enjoyed the vegetables, too! They were crisp and tasty. I don't know what's so special about the mac & cheese, but it must have been good because my kids inhaled it. LOL The turkey and beef were good. The butter for the biscuits is orange flavored and it's yummy!!

Service was a little slow. It's all-you-can-eat served family style, and the initial portions they bring are rather small. We asked for extra catfish, vegetables, and macaroni and cheese. We had to wait a long time for the extra food, and then our server forgot the mac & cheese, which meant she had to go back and get it. By the time the mac & cheese came, we were ready for our cake so we could leave, but the kids did eat their extra mac & cheese. Service was prompt the last time we ate here. I guess regardless of where you eat, service is going to vary depending upon the cast members and how busy the restaurant is.

Character interaction was fun! We saw all of the characters twice, and they were playful with the kids. The characters noticed ds' birthday button and gave him a thumb's up for congratulations.

Once the mac & cheese was finished, we asked for the birthday cake. Our server brought it over with a candle and plates/forks. We (the 4 of us--not the server this time) sang "Happy Birthday" and then enjoyed the cake.

WDW07037.jpg

OLDER PICTURE

As I said, I didn't take food pictures from The Garden Garden Grill this year, but here is our lunch from a previous trip. Changes to the menu are that now they serve buscuits instead of a loaf of bread and a potato casserole instead of mashed potatoes. Everything else is the same.

Disney06Disk2050.jpg

Here's the dessert we ate on a previous trip. We didn't get the dessert this time since we ordered the birthday cake, but I think they went back to the pastry instead of the bread pudding. The other item is a design-it-yourself cupcake.

BONUS PICTURE

Some of the food served in Epcot is grown at Living with the Land. We rode that twice, as dd was fascinated with that attraction. Here's a picture of a pumpkin earning its ears! : )

WDW0738012.jpg

We love Goofy's Candy Company! We were as happy as kids in a candy store here. :) We bought some dipped chocolates. I had the marshmallows, ds had the Mickey Rice Krispie Treat, and dd had the pretzel sticks. Dh didn't want to order anything, but he did help us finish up our snacks. : )

I think that getting the marshmallow is a good deal because they are on a Mickey straw, and you get the candy treat to eat plus the straw to keep.

Goofy's Candy Company:

WDW07313.jpg

Ds' Rice Krispie Treat:

WDW07315.jpg

Oh my! That looks great! I hope it is still on themenu in Jan. Roasted garlic is one of my favorites. :woohoo:
WDW073657.jpg

Thank you for your nice comments!

We ate at Riverside Mill about 5-6 times on our trip, but I brought the camera there only once. My hands-down favorite entree was the create-your-own-salad, which I had twice. The salad ingredients were fresh, including the chicken on top of the salad. I don't have any pictures of my salads.

On our arrival day, we had a very late breakfast/early lunch at around 10:50.We all ordered French Toast so we'd have only one line to wait in because we wanted to get to Animal Kingdom right after we ate and didn't want to waste too much time eating. The French Toast was pretty good.

We ordered a POR pizza once, and it was average at best. We took it to Muddy Rivers and ate it poolside. We've eaten POR's pizza before and did considering ordering a pizza from a local non-WDW place, but didn't want to bother with having to pick it up at the main entrance. It was easier to order one from the food court.

A drink we enjoyed at Muddy Rivers was the Pina CoLava. Sorry--no picture.

We used our refillable mugs every time we ate in the food court, and every morning dh would walk to the food court to get some coffee, too. Those mugs were a great investment!

POR was booked to capacity, but Riverside Mill was usually not too crowded when we were there, with the exception of our arrival day.

One of our Riverside meals:

dh = turkey sandwich
me = muffalata sandwich
ds = pizza
dd = mac & cheese kid's meal

The sandwiches were good and very big. I couldn't finish mine. The pasta salad side was good, too.

WDW07086.jpg

Food Court Pictures:
WDW07084.jpg

WDW07085.jpg

Just for fun--Old Man Island:

WDW07080.jpg

Great reviews and pics. Can't wait for more. The nachos st the Cantina sure did look pretty lame. The Muffalata looked really good. I stayed at POR four times and never gone one.:sad1:

Great reviews and pics. Can't wait for more. The nachos st the Cantina sure did look pretty lame. The Muffalata looked really good. I stayed at POR four times and never gone one.:sad1:

Thanks for the comments! I have to say that those nachos were by far the most disappointing meal of our vacation. I *almost* ordered an entree salad, and was sorry I didn't.

That Muffalata was pretty good, though. : ) I did like the salads (create your own) at POR the best. I wish I had my camera to take a picture of my salad meals there.

:thumbsup2 Great reviews and photos! Thanks for taking the time to post them. I'm dying to try MM's tiramisu!

That tiramisu was soooooo good. The picture doesn't do it justice. It's one of my favorite desserts in all of WDW. I hope you can try it soon! We ate at MM for 2 trips in a row, so on our next trip we won't be eating there. The one ts place (besides $$$ Brown Derby) we've never been to at MGM is 50's Prime Time, so if possible we'll be going there on our next trip.

(I'm keeping my fingers crossed for free dining in 9/08. We weren't able to take advantage of free dining this year. I have a feeling that with the 08 cut- backs in the dining plan that free dining might not be offered next year, but I can hope between now and then, right?! :) )

We were planning to eat at either Wolfgang Puck Express or Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney, but it was brutally hot the day we were there and we thought that a longer table service meal would be more relaxing. We went to Raglan Road spur-of-the-moment and was able to get a lunch seating for noon.

I'm so glad we stopped by Raglan Road! The food was great and it was a relaxing place to have lunch.

Dh = fish and chips
me = chicken ceasar salad
ds = kid's meal with shrimp and chips
dd = kid's meal with mac & cheese

Dh and I shared a Murphy's red draft, which was good.

I wish I took a picture of the seafood plates. Both dh and ds loved their food and ate every bite. My salad was excellent! Only dd didn't care for her meal here, as she was expecting the standard mac & cheese that is served at WDW and Raglan Road has its own version of mac & cheese. Dh helped her eat her meal, and he said that the mac and cheese here was very good.

My salad:

WDW073835.jpg

This was a fresh salad and I wouldn't hesitate to order it again. Yum!

Kid's Meal with mac & cheese:

WDW073834.jpg

I sampled a couple of the chips (fries) and they were pretty good. I like putting vinegar on my fries, and restaurants that provide vinegar and vinegar- friendly chips get a big thumb's up from me!

We were much too full to even look at a dessert menu, plus we knew we'd be hitting Goofy's Candy Company later this day. But I bet Raglan Road has some great desserts!

We had reservations for Sci-Fi for dinner, but we were having a rough day at MGM and we decided to stop by Sci-Fi to see if they could seat us earlier so we could head back to our room sooner than anticipated. I think it was around 2:30ish when we stopped by, which is an off-time mealwise, but Sci-Fi was packed. They said that we could eat then; however, we would have a table seat in the back instead of the car seat we would have had if we wanted to wait and eat at our original ADR time. We decided to eat on-the-spot and take the table seat.

We sat in a car on a previous visit, and in a way the table was nicer because this time we were able to face each other. We're a family of four, but the tables are set up so that they are made for a family of 8, and we had "hitchhikers" within a few minutes of being seated. It was kind of like Biergarten with them sharing the table. Our tablemates were a nice family.

Dh = Reuben sandwich with cucumber and melon salad
me = burger and fries (dh and I split a sundae, which came as a free surprise)
ds = burger and fries kid's meal, ice cream sundae
dd = mac and cheese kid's meal (what else? LOL), ice cream sundae

Service here was very slow. We weren't in any hurry, but our food didn't come for a long time. When the server brought the kids their sundaes, he brought me and dh a free surprise sundae to make up for waiting so long for the food. We never complained about the wait at all (in fact, it felt so good to just sit there in the a/c and our kids were enjoying the movies, so we didn't mind it), but the server was apologetic because he knew our food was delayed for whatever reason back in the kitchen.

An aside........ds turned 11 during our trip but wanted to order a kid's meal at several table service places, including here and at Kona. When we asked if our 11 y.o. could order from the kid's menu, and there were no problems with him doing so.

I took only one picture at this meal:

Dh's Reuban sandwich

WDW073646.jpg

Overall, the food here was OK. Not "the best meal of the trip," but certainly not bad, either. The atmosphere is a winner here!

That cucumber and melon salad sounds and looks interesting. I wonder if I could recreate that myself....

Great reviews and pictures. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

I will do Hoop Dee Doo tomorrow. I didn't take many pictures there (messy food! LOL) but I have a couple.

I'll have to ask dh what kind of dressing was on that cucumber and melon salad, if any. I looked for a recipe online and couldn't find one.

PatsMom, are you the Dis'er I met at Spectro on 8/8? I think you might be, but I'm not sure. : ) If it wasn't you, then it was someone else with "Pat" in a screen name.

Signing on. I look forward to reading the rest of your reviews when we return from our stay at POR!:banana: Maybe they will help me with post vacation blues.:sad1:

I went to Hoop Dee Doo when I was a kid, but dh and the kids have never been to Hoop Dee Doo. I knew that they'd love the show, so we booked it on this trip. We did Hoop Dee Doo on the last night of our trip, and it was the perfect way to end our vacation! It was one of the highlights of the trip. I think we are starting a new tradition--Hitting the Hoop Dee Doo on the last night of our trips!

We did the 7:15 show with Category 3 seating. We had great seats on the balcony, and I think I'd rather sit up there than near the stage. We sat side-by-side rather than at a table, and a couple was placed next to us (think Biergarten) with just a little space between us and them. The stools swiveled, so we could easily turn back and forth to eat and watch the show.

When we sat, the salad and corn bread were waiting for us and we dove right in. Both were pretty good. Later we enjoyed ribs, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, baked beans, and strawberry shortcake. Everything was yummy! We were given full pitchers of our drinks so we could handle our own refills, which was nice. The only thing lacking IMHO is that when ribs and fried chicken are served, then you should be provided with hot towels or wet wipes because it's messy food. I keep antibacterial hand wipes in my bag and we were able to use those to freshen up after dinner. But, having hot towels would have been a nice touch. Anyway, as I said, the food was good and it was enjoyed by all. I think ds nearly ate his weight in ribs and picky eater dd cleaned her plate even though there was no mac and cheese on it. :rotfl:

My family loved the show! Our 11 y.o. ds laughed until he cried. Dh thought it was fun and it was a nice break from the heat and crowds. Dd and I liked it too, but most of all I enjoyed seeing everyone laughing and having a good time. :goodvibes

Pioneer Hall
WDW07373-1.jpg

Hoop Dee Doo salad and bread
WDW07375.jpg

I didn't take any other food pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter