12/24/08 Christmas Cruise on the Wonder

We too experienced a few "glitches" with the Dining Service. The first night it took a LONG time to get our drinks (sodas) and they never re-filled them. Also, because we never so our Asst Server after the initial drink, we were never offered coffee with dessert. Not Disney normal standard.

Christmas was better on the drink order, but our entrees took so long that Jim finally complained to the Head Server. We are usually pretty easy going about this, but we wanted to get our pictures taken and they were closing by 10:15. We finished dinner at about 10:10. The Server said the issue was the Holiday Meal and everyone eating at the same time. I was very surprised that we did not have staggered dining times like the Magic does.

Palo was excellent, but mainly because our Server (Roy) for both meals made some great recommendations of foods we had not tried previously.

My main complaint on the food is that a lot of time it could have used a little more seasoning but otherwise it was good. One night the prime rib I ordered med-rare was more like very well. Our assistant server noticed it almost immediately and took care of it without me having to say anything.

Oh and the scrambled eggs on the buffet line was powdered eggs and the bacon was too limp. I dont do powdered eggs.

Our waitstaff were fantastic. Our drinks were always kept filled, and the next course was always there by the time we finished whatever course we were on. Even our head waiter,Witt, was always hovering. Michael suggested he was OCD as he was forever picking at the tables making sure they were perfect. When it came time to give him his tip envelope, Dale had to chase him down:rotfl2:

Andy I agree with the lack of seasoning. I do understand there are people with allergy issues, so they have to be careful, but yes alot of the food was bland. The bacon was tasteless as well as limp. I don't know what kind of bacon they serve, but I have never before had bacon that had no flavor at all.:confused3 I also don't do powdered eggs, :sad2:

Changing the subject.... Has anybody ever done an Alaskan Cruise or have one that they would recommend?

I have never taken an Alaskan cruise, but I am from the Pacific Northwest. I know that Holland America has a good chunk of the market share of Alaska cruises and most people liken their amenities and level of service to DCL. They also have very highly rated children's programming.

I have never taken an Alaskan cruise, but I am from the Pacific Northwest. I know that Holland America has a good chunk of the market share of Alaska cruises and most people liken their amenities and level of service to DCL. They also have very highly rated children's programming.

I have heard Holland America is the way to go for an Alaskan cruise. I of course have never taken one but several coworkers of mine have. I think they did Holland America

I have also heard good things about Holland America. There is a down side to cruising with them. The majority of their passanger profile are older couples. I have read many many reviews, and the younger couples, and families have mentioned they enjoyed the service, and the cruise, they were outnumbered by the older set.

We have cruised with HA. We consider it a good option to DCL for us because our kids our older. HA kids program is nothing like DCL. In my option DCL has the best kids program.

If I remember correctly there are some activities during the day for a few age groups. We were on a Thanksgiving cruise and it looked like each group had 10-15 kids. Lots of game playing, drawing, sports, etc.

We have also been to Alaska. We did not do a cruise because the kids were younger and sitting on a boat watch scenery is not very exciting for the kids.

We did a land based tour and loved it!! We got to see a lot more of the area, did lots of things that could never have been done with a cruise. The tour was designed for families. There were several grandparents taking their grandkids. Our group was about 15 people that ranged from 5 to 80. Everyone had a great time and I highly recommend it. Private chartered planes four groups of four to move us from Denali to Anchorage, roasting marshmellows beside the river hearing stories from a Denali climber, dog sledding, dinner on top of a mountain,private boat tour in Seward.......every day was packed with special items.

The tour group was Tauck Tours. We did the Bridges tour which is their family tour.

Just another option.......

Of course, there was room for improvement in the food arena but as a whole, I think we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Absolutely! We had SUCH a great time, and can't wait to go again! Except that we will have to since 2010 is FOREVER away!!

We bought our plane tickets for spring break - California, here we come! My DS, DBIL, niece, DB and DSIL all live out there. DH and I went out last summer for a quick weekend, but our kids have not been yet. They are over the moon! I grew up going to DL, but they have never been, so of course we will do that! It is nice having a trip to look forward to! :yay:

Adrianna, when is your big move?

Jim, that sounds like a great trip! Now I'll have to check it out. :thumbsup2 Alaska is on my bucket list! The kids' too. Somehow I'm related to Seward......maiden name is Sheward. Better research that. I may have money due to me from the US government. :lmao:

Adrianna...you moving again already?!?! I thought you had a little while. Mike hopes you are able to come down to Fort Hood. PS you may want to check out the offer they are giving to active/retired military for this year for tickets to Disney. 5 day Park Hopper with Water Park and More Option for FREE!!!!! PLUS he can get up to five more tickets at $99 each. Here is the link....

http://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/discounts-military.htm#tickets

Thanks for all of the Alaska info. Just dreaming... Might have a few new clients in the next few weeks so ...

Don't ever stop dreaming, Andy. That goes for the rest of you too. :goodvibes :grouphug:

Adrianna...you moving again already?!?! I thought you had a little while. Mike hopes you are able to come down to Fort Hood. PS you may want to check out the offer they are giving to active/retired military for this year for tickets to Disney. 5 day Park Hopper with Water Park and More Option for FREE!!!!! PLUS he can get up to five more tickets at $99 each. Here is the link....

http://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/discounts-military.htm#tickets

June... we don't have orders in hand yet, but they should be coming shortly. Kansas is just a mid-career schooling thing, only for 11 months.

I saw those great military tickets, and the DCL is running great specials for military, too. I think we'll have to sit 2009 out if we're to do the Baltic in 2010. And if hubby gets orders back to Iraq in 2010... we'll have to figure out something really grand for 2011!:)

Hey fellow cruisers. Before we all scatter to the wind, I want to say how nice it has been to get to know everyone here. When my husband was deployed, this was an especially comforting place to unwind and plan for better times. :grouphug:

I am taking over the teen youth group at my church next week, and the priest thinks that facebook would be a great way to check in on my kids, so I am now learning how to navigate facebook. If your on it, look me up. I use Adrianna Sarah, just like I do here and right now I only have a lowly 13 friends. :sad1: Please just post nothing too rowdy to my wall. Christian teens will be watching! :laughing:

Here I was reading some cruise things and found you guys! I haven't been back here since we got home and posted! Hope all is well with all of you!!! Our next trip date has changed and we are not going back until March 2011:scared1: It will be 12 days at our home resort....land only!:rotfl2:

I have Facebook AS! I sent you a request!!!:thumbsup2

June... we don't have orders in hand yet, but they should be coming shortly. Kansas is just a mid-career schooling thing, only for 11 months.

I saw those great military tickets, and the DCL is running great specials for military, too. I think we'll have to sit 2009 out if we're to do the Baltic in 2010. And if hubby gets orders back to Iraq in 2010... we'll have to figure out something really grand for 2011!:)

Oh okay. Sounded like it was gonna be sooner. It's Germany or Texas, right? Let me know if you are heading this way. :goodvibes

Yeah, we won't be able to take advantage of those tickets either. If DD is to go to Europe as an ambassador then we have to sit 2009 out as well. Nothing until June 2010....except for a quick ski weekend in Taos. :cloud9:

I'll be starting a Facebook as well. I got a friend in Canada who uses it too. :rolleyes1 And my other drinking buddy in England. I'll look you up. :thumbsup2

Here I was reading some cruise things and found you guys! I haven't been back here since we got home and posted! Hope all is well with all of you!!! Our next trip date has changed and we are not going back until March 2011:scared1: It will be 12 days at our home resort....land only!:rotfl2:

I have Facebook AS! I sent you a request!!!:thumbsup2

I sure hope you take some smaller vacations around you between now and then. :hug: But, hey.....12 days at AKV?!?! AWESOME!!! :banana: I envy you....:cool2:

We're headed back in June 2010 for some good times. Gonna relax a bit more, not rush things, not plan too many things. Matter of fact, I need to check the DVC Planner and work out my scenarios and points.

I have half the pics downloaded. I should have the rest done by the week end. Did I mention I'm a camera freak? :rolleyes1 I'll post a link for all of you. Flickr works for everyone right? Annette, what works best for you? I want to make sure you get some since you are picture-less. :hug:

Andy I tried to find you but there are so many of you. I narrowed it down to your area and it doesn't look like you. Do you have a link to your page?

I am on Facebook too now - my MOTHER actually coerced me into it! I am listed as Shari Sawyers - I will look you guys up! I did manage to post cruise pictures there!

Found the recipe for the beverage served at the end of dinner at Palo (or very close since I havent made it yet).

Seems it is an Italian drink called Sgroppino

3 Tbsp. Lemon Vodka
1/3 C. Lemon Sorbet (the creamier the better!)
1 C. Prosecco
Chopped Mint Leaves and Lemon Zest (for garnish)

* Add the vodka and sorbet to a cocktail shaker and mix well.
* Pour the mixture into a pitcher and whisk in the prosecco.
* Divide evenly into four champagne flutes and garnish with mint leaves and lemon zest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter