12/22/2011 Disney Dream Christmas Cruise

This will be our first ever cruise and we are SO excited. We have been DVC members for several years and visit the park 2-3 times a year, but have never booked a cruise so I am CLUELESS! It will be my husband and I (42), my son and daughter (11 and 10), and my parents (72 and 75).

I have skimmed the thread and will go back to re-read more carefully, but already know I am interested in the FE.

Here are some of the questions I am trying to find answers to...what types of Christmas specific activities are there? Will the dinner that evening be Christmas themed?

Does the ship do Santa delivery? How will Santa be visiting your children?

Is there any way to find out on-board details before you get on the ship and get the on-board newsletter?

I feel like such a newbie, which is SUCH a change since I am always the one everyone comes to for their park vacation planning...thanks for any help you can give!

Tracy

Hi mzreed! We are newbies to both Disney and cruising. I have some of the same questions as you on what is special on the Christmas cruise, so I can't help you there, but hopefully someone else can! There is a seperate thread for the FE, listed under the cruise meets for dream 2011 - you may have already discovered it by now. Happy planning and welcome to the thread!

Hi Hi, and G'day,

Well I have been away from the boards for a few weeks due to work and planning birthday parties. Anyway that's all over now and I have finnished working my cake decorating business now. I did my last cake and cupcake party this weekend so now I can spend time on planning our FE and making last minute plans for our USA holiday. :surfweb:

I see we have a few new peeps on board it's going to be so much fun. :cool1:

I noticed a question about SANTA visiting our children. I asked this question on the boards about 2 years ago as it was a concern of mine. A few people mentioned that you can hide some of your gifts under the bed bases, now this was on the Disney Magic ship so I am not sure what type of beds we are going to get on the Dream. I have also read that some people purchase a small xmas tree from Walmart or similar and take it on the ship and decorate it for the family and then Santa leaves some small gifts under the tree. I really love this idea and as we will be coming from Australia we really need a little tree and I am thinking that Santa will leave some gift cards, some little treats maybe pins, and some other items that I will pick up at the park prior to heading onto the ship. Obviously the gifts Santa will be leaving won't be big due to space and also the fact that we are continuing to travel for another 3 weeks after our cruise. But I am thinking some gift cards, itunes card, t-shirts, swimmers a hat and maybe a plush toy. My children are getting an early visit from Santa on the 5th of December prior to us flying out of Australia. We are going to give them an ipod touch and a plane kit to see them thru the 22 hour flight. ( Wish us luck ) :santa:

Now I must go and check out the spreadsheet to see who's in on this giftexchange. I also need to refresh on the close off date :)

Have a great day and Happy Halloween

Jen

Hi Jen, We will be bringing our stockings (we always use the same ones every year) and plan to leave these out Christmas Eve. Since the gifts will be small, I figure they'll be packed and easily hidden. Good Luck on the long flight, but so great to be able to stay for a few weeks and explore WDW and then the cruise. Our kids do well on our drives - typically 10-12 hours to visit the east coast, but 22 hours on a plane is a different story, so the ipods and other kits are a great idea.

Happy crafting!

This will be our 2nd Disney Cruise. We have one son (8 yrs) who does not know we are going on the cruise. It has been 4 years since our last cruise (Magic) and there is probably not a month that goes by that he doesn't ask when we are going on another Disney Cruise.

We are trying to decide how to tell son or to wait until we arrive at the port. We are also going to WDW for 6 days post cruise to celebrate the new year. That will also be a surprise for him. We probably won't tell him about that until we park at the resort.

I have looked online but can't find any information about any special Christimas activities/programs that Disney has planned for our cruise. We will be packing our stockings and bringing those that Santa will fill with "little" gifts. Santa will follow you anywhere is what I was always taught ;)

Husband and I are getting really excited. We have been SOOOO busy I just hope I didn't forget anything in the planning process. We might be interested in the FE but first I need to make sure we have time to pull it all together before committing.

Counting down the days!!!

Hi scgraley! I've not found any information on what goes on during a Christmas cruise either, but I almost don't want to know since it will be a little more magical! (but I am, of course, curious!). Yes, we teach our kids that Santa goes everywhere, so he'll visit the ship too! Of course, 13yo DD is aware of the secret of Santa, but 5yo DD is not.

We have not told our kids, and we've never been on a cruise. Unfortunately, the 13yo knows something is possibly up but...she probably thinks it is generally "Christmas" related since I start Christmas prep around this time of the year anyway and keep the kids away from the basement, etc... Our plan is to keep it from them until the morning we leave for the trip!

DH and I are pretty excited!

As far as the FE goes, join if you think you can. There have been a couple of threads recently that address FE's, some including pictures of FE gifts people have made and received. Scan through the first 2 or 3 pages of new posts for DCL on this site and you will likely find them. Also, earlier, I found some nicely written guidelines on another FE link for an October or Nov curise (look in the 2011 meets links and some cruises have seperate FE links).

Happy planning!

Hi Hi,

Well the closing date is nearly hear and I am pumped. I can't wait for the list to close so I can get stuck into organising my FE gifts. Next week really is the last chance I will have to pop out and purchase my last minute Aussie gifts as I am going on a Police Training Course for a week so I will be staying at the Police academy which is about 3 hours away from home and the family all next week. I can't believe it's only 29 day's till we leave Sydney.

I hope everyone has a great week. I can't wait to catch up with you and all your family members on the cruise or for the lucky few the week prior at WDW. We are staying at ASMovies and will be on property for 14 nights. :banana:

Have a great Sunday lots of love Jen :santa:xxxx

Good Morning! I've posted on the FE thread that the sign up is closed for the FE. The google doc can still be accessed to view. :goodvibes

Jenshell, good luck with all of your prep/ packing/ and flying from so far away. :)

How exciting for all of us about to celebrate CHRISTMAS at SEA on the DREAM ! ! ! :woohoo: :banana: :woohoo: :yay:

:santa:

Welcome all you first time Disney Cruisers. It will be the most memorable Christmas for you all your kids. This will be my DW and I's 4th cruise this year and the 7th overall. Not saying that to be bragging, but I find that is the best answer to stress that I have found.
To answer a few questions, the ship will be decorated from head to toe with Christmas. For those of you with small kids, there will be a gingerbread house building event. Will probably be a signup so hit that whenever you get on board, or even ask at the terminal once there. Mrs. Clause is supposed to read the Night Before Christmas and CM's will be singing carols.
I haven't been on the Christmas Cruise yet, but if I am willing to spend double the normal price, I can tell you Disney is going to make your Christmas Awesome.
I also understand Christmas Photos will be taken. I don't feel you need to kill yourself trying to get the pictures at any specific event. Disney is really good about capturing events for you and then collecting with photo sells.
I love the fact that alot of you have never cruised with Disney before. That will make it that much more exciting for me and my family. The faces are priceless.
There is a special dinner for Christmas so I would thing that the dinner arrangments will be ABCC for those of you that know what that is. Bring the stockings and a camera. Any questions let me know.
See you all on the ship!

Maybe this has been discussed before, but does anyone have an idea of how the dining rotation works? Also, when will Pirates night be? Is it always on Castaway day? How about formal night? I'm so excited, I wish we were leaving today. :banana: :santa:

So excited too! Thanks JustaCruiser for your thoughts! I'm excited and a bit nervous - never been on a cruise before - so your input is great to hear! My husband and kids have never beeen to Disney and I was 4yo last time, so it will be quite the experience for us! :goodvibes

I'm looking forward to meeting new people onboard too! :yay:

I can't believe how excited we are getting - and even more surprised that our son hasn't questioned why our house is already decorated for Christmas (less than one week after Halloween).

Thought I had finalized our plans for what Santa would bring for our stockings but now I'm not sure. What is meant by the Christmas Eve Dinner ABCC - and bring your stocking? I don't want to spoil any surprises anyone (or myself) - just tell me this - will I be able to still use our stockings late Christmas eve night for Santa's visit?

I was also thinking it would be nice to hang a small wreath from our Fish (outside the cabin). Since we did not plan to participate in the Fish Exchange in time, I thought I could atleast dress up the outside of our cabin and make it feel like Christmas. I would imagine as long as I follow the same size guidelines as they have for FEs that it would be okay. Any thoughts?

Hi scgraley,
I would definitely decorate and/or hang something from the fish outside the door - a wreath sounds great!

I, too, am wondering about the stocking thing - and bringing it to dinner. I was planning to have Santa leave their Christmas gifts in their stockings in the cabin to open on Christmas morning.... hmmm....

ABCC refers to restaurant rotation, and I think the double letter is in reference to the same restaurant, probably because of the normal menu one night and the Pirate menu the other night.

Of course, I've not been on DCL before, so someone else can chime in....

just got off the the phone with DCL. It appears that Pirate Night will be night 2, December 23rd. Kinda makes since with Night 3 being Christmas Eve and Night 4 Christmas Night. Did not get the order of dining rooms but I would suspect the order will either be ABBC or ABCB meanin that the night of the Pirate Night you will hit that one twice. But, there will most likely be a Christmas Menu for the 25th so really all is only a guess. I also asked about the movies on board and it appears that they will be the Disney flicks out now. The Help, Winnie the Pooh, Pirates and the others. I guess the Christmas movies and shows will be in room or maybe the top deck. Don't know. My DW and I will bring the stockings, and ask the room attendant once we get there if he/she knows what is going on. You could also ask that person to fill the stockings or leave presents out for you. The boat should be decked out next week and will be ready for us all on 22 December! By the way, don't forget to ask for milk and cookings from room service before you go to bed.
Have any other questions, let me know.

I'm brand new to cruising - this is my first cruise ever - so forgive me for asking (I'm a little embarrased :laughing:) but what does the ABCB mean?? What do they stand for? I'm also assuming "formal" night will be Christmas Eve, what do you guys think? Can you tell I'm trying to figure out all of our outfits...what can i say, I'm a big planner. :confused3 Also, what is this I'm reading about bringing our stockings??

Thanks for any help/advice....again, I'm a total newbie to this cruising thing :banana:

Justacruiser - thanks for the updates!

This is going to be a vacation of a lifetime for our family. We are truly blessed!!!

Have a blessed day everyone and happy planning until we meet on the 22nd!!!

Justacruiser - thanks for the info!

We received our docs and luggage tags today. So excited!! :banana:

We received our official documentation and luggage tags in the mail yesterday. Yippeeee!!!!!

I am so looking forward to our vacation. My son and I were diagnosed with several food allergies early this year and as a result we are very restricted when it comes to eating out of our own home. Because of the nature of my allergies, I cannot eat anything processed and must make everything from scratch. Naturally, going on vacation has brought some anxiety as to how I will eat.

Leave it to Disney to already have a plan to cover everything! Not only did they provide me with forms to communicate all of my allergies, but I even received a personal phone call yesterday from a DCL representative to discuss the nature of our allergies and other specifics.

I am probably most excited about not having to worry about what we'll eat or what I'm going to cook for 10 days - Disney is handling it all. Praise God! This makes for a very happy and relaxed mom :yay:

We also talked with WDW and made all of our dining reservations for our land portion and are ready to go. Now I just need to pack and get to Port Canaveral!!! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter