• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

#$%^! $115.00 toll fee! Dollar

ILoveMyDVC

DIS Veteran
Just got a bill for a 15.00 toll fee + 100.00 administrative charge.

First night - I drove to the cash aisle - change only - couldn't do it - took the envelop to pay

Another day - handed toll attendant money - drove through - flashing lights and siren

Picked up DH at airport, got into cash lane - attendant told me that I had the Sunpass and it was active.

Any advice? I am so not paying 115.00 to Dollar.

I'm sorry. I've heard about this scam, and it seems like they really take advantage of the likelihood of drivers not knowing about the absolutely bizarre toll system. Hopefully someone has advice.

This is what Dollar has on their site about tolls.
Please note: PlatePass All-Inclusive Tolling is the perfect solution. If you choose not to select the PlatePass pre-paid tolling option and travel on one of these all-electronic toll roads, and do not have your own tolling device in the vehicle, the applicable toll will be paid for you and an administrative fee of $15.00 per occurrence with a maximum of $105.00 will be charged.

It's not a scam, it is people using the toll roads and getting charged for it. If the vehicle is set up with the tolling system(platepass) and you pay drive through one of the booths that does cash and plate pass you will get charged even if you pay cash. That happened to us here locally with our ezpass system. We had to send in the receipt showing we paid cash to get that $1.75 credited back to our toll account.

The easiest solution is just to buy your own transponder.

If you are an out of state renter, how do you get one? I looked on the Sun pass site, and it seemed you need to buy one while in Florida. My state has EZ-Pass, but it's not compatible with Sun Pass.

If you are an out of state renter, how do you get one? I looked on the Sun pass site, and it seemed you need to buy one while in Florida. My state has EZ-Pass, but it's not compatible with Sun Pass.

Didn't look too hard.:dog2: arf arf

here's what you need:
https://www.sunpass.com/downloadApplication

As an aside, the rental companies do their due diligence in informing about tolls. One thing I ALWAYS do when renting in areas where I know I will be using toll road is look at the toll policy. Often times XAZ rental cars may have the lowest price, but when I then add in their toll fees/administration fees, ABC agency actually has the better deal.

There really should be some "fair trade" sort of pricing where all agencies charge exactly the same. Those administrative fees charged by some agencies are predatory.

Last edited:

:confused3 I don't get it. Is there any way to avoid these outrageous fees if you rent from Dollar? It sounds to me like you get wacked with the fee whether you pay cash or use the Sun Pass lane.

Didn't look too hard.:dog2: arf arf

here's what you need:
https://www.sunpass.com/downloadApplication

As an aside, the rental companies do their due diligence in informing about tolls. One thing I ALWAYS do when renting in areas where I know I will be using toll road is look at the toll policy. Often times XAZ rental cars may have the lowest price, but when I then add in their toll fees/administration fees, ABC agency actually has the better deal.

There really should be some "fair trade" sort of pricing where all agencies charge exactly the same. Those administrative fees charged by some agencies are predatory.

I already saw this, and also their online application. It wants the license plate of the vehicle that will be using the transponder. You can do a rental car, but it wants the plate number, etc to register it.

I already saw this, and also their online application. It wants the license plate of the vehicle that will be using the transponder. You can do a rental car, but it wants the plate number, etc to register it.

I ordered one from Michigan a few months ago with no issues. As I recall, I just put my personal car's plate number in whichever field was demanding it. Then when I picked up my rental from Alamo's MCO garage a few weeks later, I added the rental car's plate to my Sunpass profile. (Had to do that after leaving the garage -- awful data connection in there.)

I recommend getting a Sunpass, as no-cash tolling is the next big thing and sooner or later, virtually all toll roads will be operating that way.

I ordered one from Michigan a few months ago with no issues. As I recall, I just put my personal car's plate number in whichever field was demanding it. Then when I picked up my rental from Alamo's MCO garage a few weeks later, I added the rental car's plate to my Sunpass profile. (Had to do that after leaving the garage -- awful data connection in there.)

I recommend getting a Sunpass, as no-cash tolling is the next big thing and sooner or later, virtually all toll roads will be operating that way.

Yep, works that way with all the toll agencies....or you can call and talk to a real person (why do I tend to trust the real person LESS in this type of situation?)

Is there a reasonable way to get from MCO to WDW without using any toll roads?

When doing google maps I always choose "avoid tolls". I have harsh feelings about toll roads, so if there is any possible way I can avoid them, I do ;)

That's really expensive. We just had this happen to us in November. Alamo sent us a bill for the toll and a 10.00 fee.

We rented from Alamo in December, declined the electronic device, paid cash at the toll booths and had no extra fee. So it is possible to just pay cash at the booths with some companies at least. I brought my container of quarters to pay.

$100 sounds crazy to me! Good luck fighting it.

Yeah, it can be done, but to be honest I'd just assume pay the tolls

As I recall, from WDW, I'd go up I-4 to the Sea World exit, pass Sea World, then make a left on 441 (?), then a right just beyond the mall. That road pretty much goes to the airport. Reverse using the North exit going to WDW.

you can open up a toll account. After that, any time you rent a car, just go online and enter the rental car info, make, model, tags, etc. Some toll agencies have an app where you can update this info right from your smartphone before you even leave the rental agency parking lot.

I got hit with this too, 1-2 years ago, from Alamo. I guess I did a NJ toll type coin toss. I certainly did not go thru the toll FAST, at all. But apparently the light did not turn green or whatever. I was ticked because I went out of my way to bring a roll of quarters with me for the tolls, as I was worried about the unmanned toll booths there.

I thought the SunPass was unavailable to out of staters. I will apply for one before my next trip.

Alternatively use the cash lanes with attendant wherever possible and get a receipt each time. At some toll locations you must go down what looks like an exit ramp to pay the toll using cash.

If you have to use an exact change lane and the light does not turn green, stop and look for an address to send the toll payment to. Send it in right away, not after you get back home.

I don't understand how the pre paid option works....how do they know what tolls you will be going through???? As long as we have plenty of quarters and one dollar bills and wait for the light to turn green will we be ok or is there some complication here?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter