11/23 COMPLETE! Course by Course, One By One...A 2016 Wine & Dine Half Marathon Trip Report!

:dogdance:An Ariel484 TR! Is there anything better?!?

Great room, the Poly looks really amazing! But boo for the lack of drawer space!
Can't wait for more!

Following along! Glad check in went smooth!
Me too! Super easy.
Hate when the airlines make you do that! You "carry on" for a reason! I got attitude from the gate agent when I refused to gate check my carry on for Princess but I prevailed, lol!
Ugh, seriously. If any of my pairs of Minnie Mouse ears that I had in my carry-on had broken, I would not have been happy!!
Love, love, love your room! I have never stayed at the Poly but have been there a few times and just love it!
It was so nice there! Just so relaxing, and the location was amazing. :lovestruc
Keep the updates coming - love living vicariously thru your reports! :)
:yay:
You never seem to have flights that go smoothly. That sucks they made you check the bags.
Ha...you're right. My return flight didn't go 100% smoothly either! :confused3
I've always wanted to stay at the poly too. That room looks awesome!
It was! One of my favorite rooms we have had at WDW. :)
yay! Love reading your posts and it's fun because we "spotted" you in your BB8 hoodie at Tink :)
That's right! The BB-8 hoodie is hard to miss. :)
That PURSE!:lovestruc:lovestruc and I hate purses, but it seems more baggish (?) and obviously Steamboat Willie=:love:
It's pretty cool because you can wear it as a crossbody or as a backpack!
Crossbody:
park-hopper-thumb2x.jpg

Backpack. This was my first time using a bag of this style and I didn't think I'd use it as a backpack at all, but it was nice to be able to make the changes sometimes because wearing it crossbody if I had a lot of stuff in it would start to hurt my back. So I was changing it up a decent amount. Apparently there's a way you can shorten the strap even more to wear it more as a shoulder bag, but I haven't tried/figured out how to do that yet.
$_1.JPG

Yes- we were there as well!
Yay!! I hope you had fun!
The Poly :love::love::love: That whole room is a studio?! :eek::eek::eek: Those bathrooms!! Ditto on the drawer complaint at Beach Club Villas! The murphy bed was amusing but we were literally packing clothes into the drawers on the coffee table haha! I agree- the studio size must be an awful tight squeeze for a family of 5.
Yes, isn't that crazy?! We had a ton of room for the two of us, but yeah, I was missing the extra drawers! We'd definitely stay in a room like this again. :)
That Steamboat Willie purse is seriously amazing. Your pictures are really making me love the Harveys bags! (Also ... is that an InB BB8 hoodie I see in the picture?)
I love them too. I may be entering a point where I'm ready to sell the rest of my Dooneys and fully switch to Harveys...:eek:

Yep, that's the BB-8 hoodie!! Kept me nice and cozy on the plane. :)
That room looks seriously amazing. I'm all kinds of jealous that you got to stay there! Sounds like you got a good location and the view is beautiful!
It was a fabulous room, I was so happy with it!
(Also ... sorry about the Indians. I was rooting for them.)
Thank you! :sad::sad::sad:
:dogdance:An Ariel484 TR! Is there anything better?!?
Great room, the Poly looks really amazing! But boo for the lack of drawer space!
Can't wait for more!
Overall amazing, just gimme those drawers back!! :rotfl2:
Excited to see your take on the weekend!
Thanks! Excited to see yours as well. :)

Last edited:
Wednesday, November 2: Day 1, Part 3

And now, time to roll out! First day at Disney really IS the Best Day Ever!
30844297486_907a02bda6_z.jpg

But first, lunch!
30245030043_f6b5a9a3ae_z.jpg

30880553405_0cf8e1b0b7_z.jpg

I headed to Captain Cook’s and ordered the Pan Asian Noodles with Chicken...yum! And a big cup of water. Time to start hydrating for the races!
30764215642_2097783950_z.jpg

30844297906_2014e8e54b_z.jpg

And then I headed back to Pago Pago...
30764216462_384b9f50df_z.jpg

...And on to the TTC, where they were playing Christmas music already...should have known, Halloween HAD been over for an entire 1.5 days! I wasn’t mad about it. I actually started a stopwatch to see how long the walk would take. 4:11 to walk to the TTC from our room - amazing!

I stopped at a ticket window to get my annual pass (eek!) and then headed up to catch a monorail to Epcot!

30245029903_a348efccf2_z.jpg

I saw some race set-up in the Epcot parking lot on the way...eeeeek!
30844294856_3ce60cc0fa_z.jpg

The security CM at bag check did not understand my shirt. Sir, you need to go see Tangled, like, yesterday!

Hello Epcot!!
30245031753_6504f65f0c_z.jpg

I love the Food & Wine stuff they had set up!
30880552065_7b7eb07ba8_z.jpg

30248594164_e82b7ddcc2_z.jpg

Had to stop for a picture with my girl.
30791884211_1315aa9daf_z.jpg

Followed by Starbucks! It’s gingerbread latte season, people!! :yay:
30791886041_f7252cb4f2_z.jpg

Though...it was way too warm for a hot coffee. I still enjoyed it, but something iced would have been a better option!

30248591044_2d05ee1d0a_z.jpg

30764219822_4ce1e42acc_z.jpg

I decided to take a lap around World Showcase...slowly taking everything in, but not buying anything from the booths yet. I wanted to wait for Mr. A to get here. :)

Maybe this is the iced coffee for me?? :teeth: (I oogled this every time I passed this Joffrey’s kiosk, but never actually ended up buying it).
30844295466_2034032ce4_z.jpg

30248614554_1255cf08b7_z.jpg

One thing I knew I wanted to buy this weekend was a Remy plush, since he is 1. Adorable, and 2. The mascot of the 10K, so I headed to France to do that (with that in mind, I had taken a right turn into World Showcase, starting my lap in Canada). As part of Wine & Dine registration, I got a $15 gift card, so this is where the gift card went (after applying my 20% annual pass discount!). I also got a glass of champagne!

Photoshoot!
30764241652_cf5a25e33c_z.jpg

Well hey there, Little Chef!
30844317716_bfbd5e438d_z.jpg

The champagne wasn’t very good, unfortunately. I need my champagne ice-cold...this was not. Wahhh!

30764240802_4daf5ab842_z.jpg

Headed into MouseGear next. I had this Food & Wine Dooney in my hand...I was really ready to buy...and I didn’t. I am so proud of myself.

What the heck is up with the “curling” up of the pattern near the bottom? Blech!
30791908501_d4065b0e94_z.jpg

My main purpose of coming to Epcot today was to get 1 visit in the books toward the AP Food & Wine tumbler - if you visit 3 times as an AP, you get the tumbler for free. I’d really just planned on scanning my Magic Band and heading right back out, but I enjoyed the leisurely look at the booths and the stores! It wasn’t very crowded on this day, so it was nice.

30579217510_dbab1f9a6f_z.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:

Wednesday, November 2: Day 1, Part 4
I headed back to the monorail and transferred to the resort loop - next stop was the Grand Floridian! I wandered through the stores, and Basin White was my last stop. I’ve recently gotten into shampoo and conditioner bars (I have some from Lush) and wanted to try some from Basin White or Basin in Disney Springs (never ended up getting to Disney Springs on this trip).

I ended up doing the 4 for $25 deal and got Basin White and Oatmeal Milk & Honey versions.
30844319986_0baeaa27aa_z.jpg

30248617344_04737e07bd_z.jpg

I also got one of those shea scrubs in the almond scent. Mr. A isn’t a fan, but I am! Here I was able to get a 10% AP discount, I believe.

After the Grand, I headed back to the TTC and walked to the room to change...I could get used to this easy transportation set-up!!
30791908661_509379c243_z.jpg

Supporting the Tribe!!
30579216630_729d4d4616_z.jpg

I had FP+ set up for this evening at the Magic Kingdom, so I headed there at sunset!
30791904621_0769d03204_z.jpg

Christmas has come to the Magic Kingdom!!
30579215720_83b40f3132_z.jpg

30579215250_aebeeefdf6_z.jpg

First stop was to find the famous Purple Wall in Tomorrowland...there were at least 10 others already there taking pictures. Photos really do look better there!

(My capris are supposed to look like armor/chainmail. I love them!)
30791903191_11fea467e3_z.jpg

30844343616_674be594b7_z.jpg

Then I used my Seven Dwarfs FP+...I needed to soak up those good Dopey vibes for January!!

I wanted to meet some characters after this and decided on Minnie and Daisy. The lighting is just so harsh in here! Ugh.
30245058633_6a52c06f51_z.jpg

Minnie was a fan of my Steamboat Willie bag. :)
30844346456_cb320e2c96_z.jpg

After this, I was torn on what to do. It was almost time for Game 7, and as crazy as it sounds, I just didn’t know if I had it in me to watch it. Watching every game in this series hadn’t been very enjoyable - I felt tense, exhausted, and sometimes in pain once they were done - seriously! I just wanted the Indians to win so badly. And as a Clevelander who has been disappointed so many times, I just had a feeling we weren’t going to do it this year.

But I knew I’d hate myself if I didn’t watch, so I made my way out of the Magic Kingdom at about 7:15.
30579227740_60f9e4eda4_z.jpg

30579227780_24606df8e7_z.jpg

By 8PM I had myself a seat at the Tambu Lounge. I ordered the honey-coriander wings from the bar menu, along with an Island Sunset - I was gonna need booze to get through this.
30880588335_0dbeb40af8_z.jpg

So...I’m pretty sure they messed up my wings. They did not taste like the wings at ‘Ohana - too spicy!! The Island Sunset was perfection as always.

Watching the game at the bar was...not fun. I was literally the ONLY person there who was rooting for Cleveland. It was kind of nice, though, because I had friends and my brother texting me, so it wasn’t too lonely. And then the fabulous @Keels joined me, so I really wasn’t lonely anymore!! It was really awesome having her there...she kept my spirits up when it looked like things were going south.

Mr. A landed at about 9:45. About an hour later, Keels left and I decided I couldn’t watch at the bar anymore...at that point we were losing and I didn’t want to be there when the Cubs won! So I headed to Trader Sam’s (which seemed like a GREAT place to be when the Cubs won), grabbed a pager, and waited for Mr. A to arrive at the Poly. He had been watching the game on wifi TV during the flight and was crushed...once he arrived we decided to skip Trader Sam’s and just take showers and go to bed…….

…….except that we didn’t. The Indians tied it up just as we were about to take our showers - literally, I was about to step inside the shower when Mr. A told me - and then there was a rain delay. There were multiple times during the game where I really thought we were going to do it...but of course, the Cubs ended up winning. We were heartbroken. Obviously it’s great that the Cubs broke the curse, but I just wish it had been against another team! It had been an emotional roller coaster and we were devastated...and had another late bedtime as a result (I can’t remember exactly when, but it was after 1AM).

And let me tell you...I thought being in WDW would be a great distraction from this, but it wasn’t. We were pretty much reminded of it daily! People would ask where we were from and the conversation would go like this:

People: So where are you from?
Us: Ohio
People: Oh really, what part?
Us: …...Cleveland
People (in a sad, sympathetic tone): ...oh.

-OR-

People: Oh. We were rooting for the Cubs! So glad that they won!!
Us: Okay...?!

Wahhhhh! :sad:

But never fear...happier times are ahead. ::yes:: Day 2!!

Last edited:
oh-goodie.gif

^^^^^ Me when I realised you started your TR! YAH! AND I see you've been posting in your journal too... WHY DIDN'T I KNOW THIS?!
Also HEY GIRL HOW ARE YOU?! You are so good at getting right into your TR's when you get home, I need to sink into the Disney blues for at least a month before I can face it...

So excited to read more it's really got me looking forward to my W&D trip next year!!

Sorry to hear that your team didn't win.. I totally get what you're saying about being exhausted though, I get way too into sports and get proper anxiety it's just too much and sometimes.
When-starts-re-beyond-pumped-ve-read-stats-game-wearing-jersey-now-time-focus.gif

I just prefer not to watch and sporadically check updates or just find out in the end who won.. haha

Oooooh you stayed at the Polly! I'm thinking of renting DVC points for W&D weekend next year and was thinking I'd go for the Polly too. Interested to see how you get on communicating on race days...

I LOVE your purse it's so adorable! Also seriously considering my first INKnBURN purchase, I love the holiday season stuff and it would be perfect for next years W&D weekend.... There I go again making a shopping list after reading your posts haha
EDIT: the holiday items I love from INKnBURN are sold out... devastated :sad:

I'm going to catch up on your training posts! Can't wait for more :teeth:

Last edited:
Love that your Apple watch band matches your shirt in the first photo lol.

I have always wanted to go to Food and Wine but its probably best to wait until I am 21...

I can't believe you had a Dooney in hand and then put it back!

You got some great character photos.

Awesome that you got to hang out with Keels. Boo that the Indians lost. Hope for next year I guess.

I'm so happy to follow along with another awesome TR! :D The Poly looks like so much fun. I'm excited to hear your end review if you would stay there again!

You are killing your Disney fashion game! Super cute outfits/ears so far!

And I'm sorry about your team losing. That really is hard. I'm sure it's even harder when it seems like most people are happy the other guys won (based on my twitter feed- 90% of Americans were rooting for the Cubs haha)

Can't wait to read more!

Yay for runcation trip reports! I've been dying to do wine and dine but the last two times I've gone to sign up, I've found out I was pregnant a few days before pay day! Lol. Next year I'm definitely going!

Can't wait to read more!

Great trip report so far. Poly looks awesome! I got the noodle bowl after the half without chicken and thought it was pretty good too. I don't know what those round cutout things on top were though as they were tasteless?

Love this! We are staying at the Poly for Princess weekend and I am over the moon about it. When we looked at the Poly studios, our DVC person said that they did use a lot of ideas from DCL in those rooms. It definitely seems like it would be hard to fit stuff for 5 people in there though - but I probably wouldn't actually stay in a studio with more than about 3 people!

Love your outfits and ears as well - and that's a super good idea to get a fastpass for talking Mickey. I think I'm going to see if we can do that for February so I can get a medal picture. We'll just be popping into MK for lunch and a castle picture, but with FP that would probably be relatively quick. And I haven't done talking Mickey yet, which is sad!

Can't wait to read more :)

oh-goodie.gif

^^^^^ Me when I realised you started your TR! YAH! AND I see you've been posting in your journal too... WHY DIDN'T I KNOW THIS?!
Also HEY GIRL HOW ARE YOU?! You are so good at getting right into your TR's when you get home, I need to sink into the Disney blues for at least a month before I can face it...
HEY GIRL HEYYYYYYY

I need to get them done quickly so I don't forget stuff!!
So excited to read more it's really got me looking forward to my W&D trip next year!!
Yay, didn't know you were planning this!!

Sorry to hear that your team didn't win.. I totally get what you're saying about being exhausted though, I get way too into sports and get proper anxiety it's just too much and sometimes.
When-starts-re-beyond-pumped-ve-read-stats-game-wearing-jersey-now-time-focus.gif

I just prefer not to watch and sporadically check updates or just find out in the end who won.. haha
So true on the anxiety...obviously I wish we would have won but mostly I'm glad it's over.
Oooooh you stayed at the Polly! I'm thinking of renting DVC points for W&D weekend next year and was thinking I'd go for the Polly too. Interested to see how you get on communicating on race days...
Highly recommend it! Transportation for the races was mostly good. We actually didn't get to use the monorail at all though - not available for the 5K, 10K or to the half start. I could have taken it back at the end of the half but didn't feel like walking that far!
I LOVE your purse it's so adorable! Also seriously considering my first INKnBURN purchase, I love the holiday season stuff and it would be perfect for next years W&D weekend.... There I go again making a shopping list after reading your posts haha
EDIT: the holiday items I love from INKnBURN are sold out... devastated :sad:
Obvisously I highly recommend INKnBURN! Keep an eye out, there may be more holiday stuff coming........

Check weruntogether.nl, they still have the capris at least!
I'm going to catch up on your training posts! Can't wait for more :teeth:
Love that your Apple watch band matches your shirt in the first photo lol.
:rotfl2: I try!
I have always wanted to go to Food and Wine but its probably best to wait until I am 21...
Honestly, we went and only got 1 drink. Mostly we focused on the food!
I can't believe you had a Dooney in hand and then put it back!
Clearly I am growing as a person. ::yes::
You got some great character photos.
:teeth: My favorite!!
Awesome that you got to hang out with Keels. Boo that the Indians lost. Hope for next year I guess.
Yes, definitely high and low points that first day!!
I like all your sparkly ear options! I spy Ink N Burn at the purple wall :goodvibes

Bummer that your team lost :sad:
Why thank you! I had LOTS of INKnBURN with me on this trip! :teeth:
I'm so happy to follow along with another awesome TR! :D The Poly looks like so much fun. I'm excited to hear your end review if you would stay there again!
I would absolutely stay there again! It was expensive but it was SO nice. I REALLY loved being able to just walk to the TTC like that, I felt like we saved a ton of time not having to take buses. ::yes::
You are killing your Disney fashion game! Super cute outfits/ears so far!
Thanks!! :yay:
And I'm sorry about your team losing. That really is hard. I'm sure it's even harder when it seems like most people are happy the other guys won (based on my twitter feed- 90% of Americans were rooting for the Cubs haha)

Can't wait to read more!
YES, that definitely made it tough to know that no one wanted us to win. We're always the underdogs...oh well!
Yay for runcation trip reports! I've been dying to do wine and dine but the last two times I've gone to sign up, I've found out I was pregnant a few days before pay day! Lol. Next year I'm definitely going!

Can't wait to read more!
Oops!! Haha. I"ll cross my fingers for you for next year!
Great trip report so far. Poly looks awesome! I got the noodle bowl after the half without chicken and thought it was pretty good too. I don't know what those round cutout things on top were though as they were tasteless?
I have no idea what those round things were, and I do agree that they were tasteless. I think I thought they were some kind of onion, but nope...
Love this! We are staying at the Poly for Princess weekend and I am over the moon about it. When we looked at the Poly studios, our DVC person said that they did use a lot of ideas from DCL in those rooms. It definitely seems like it would be hard to fit stuff for 5 people in there though - but I probably wouldn't actually stay in a studio with more than about 3 people!

Love your outfits and ears as well - and that's a super good idea to get a fastpass for talking Mickey. I think I'm going to see if we can do that for February so I can get a medal picture. We'll just be popping into MK for lunch and a castle picture, but with FP that would probably be relatively quick. And I haven't done talking Mickey yet, which is sad!

Can't wait to read more :)
You will LOVE the Poly! Having the monorail for the races is SO nice!

Seriously, if you want to visit Talking Mickey, GET THE FP+. I didn't for this weekend and totally regretted it! :(

Thursday, November 3: Day 2, Part 1
So let’s move on from crushing defeat, shall we?

We slept in. It was badly needed.

We headed to the TTC and took a monorail to Epcot. Breakfast was in Sunshine Seasons...we both got the bounty platter, which was just okay.

We had FP+ for Soarin’ and went on that - I LOVE this ride and would put it as one of my top-5. I think Mr. A is not quite as enamored as I am. :)
30792015151_03c9248ac6_z.jpg

After that, it was Food & Wine time!! We had a huge Disney Visa Rewards giftcard that we’d been saving for awhile just for this. It was time!!

Part of the reason why Mr. A flew out after school on Wednesday as opposed to Thursday morning was so that we could have this morning as our primary Food & Wine time...I knew it would only get more crowded as we got closer to the weekend (turned out to be WAY right about that). The lines were practically non-existent today!

First stop: Greece for spanikopita. Mr. A was disappointed in this, he said it was too greasy (of course, he’s used to my mother-in-law making it, so likely nothing will top that!).
30880639985_799de26e9a_z.jpg

First stop for me: Kalua Pork Slider at Hawaii. This was good! Not as good as I remembered from 2014, but I enjoyed it.
30245124703_0012385373_z.jpg

We stopped at one of the Joffrey’s stands to get a Tiki Torch to split...I think this was essentially POG juice + vodka in slushie form. It was hot out today and this was very refreshing!
30880647175_1281b1a9ca_z.jpg

Next up was the Grilled Lamp Chop with Mint Pesto and Potato Crunchies from Australia - the picture doesn’t do it justice, because this was SO good! One of the best things we got from the festival. We headed inside the Mexico pavilion to eat and escape the sun for a bit.
30245128823_9350d4ac2c_z.jpg

We were surprised to find that it was raining when we came outside! Only for a bit though, thankfully. Next stop was Africa for Butter chicken!
30844423456_76956eb6ab_z.jpg

This was primarily mine, and I was disappointed in it. I thought it would be just like what they have at Sanaa, but it was totally different. Not bad or anything, just not what I was expecting...and too spicy for my tastes! Mr. A liked it though.

I made myself feel better with a Cannoli from Italy. This was great! The outer shell was nice and crunchy (I hate getting cannolis and finding that the outer shell is soggy, blech), the cream was delicious and cool.
30248763904_7f6b625bc9_z.jpg

From here, we headed to the International Gateway...Food & Wine Part 1 was a success, but now it was expo time.
30579322920_003c801692_z.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Those round things are Lotus Root Chips. Unless seasoned, they won't taste like anything. I've had some tasty ones in at the F&W Hibachi Dinner that were served with some great spice on it!

Sorry the Butter Chicken was too spicy for you! I loved it but I like spicy foods. We skipped the pork slider this year because I had so much good pork while we were in Hawaii so I didn't want to be disappointed.

Looks like you had an overall successful first session of the F&W Booths though! Glad you enjoyed your tiki torch and lamb!

Okay. Two days of story to catch up on. I can do this.

Confession: I don't love the gingerbread latte. It is my favorite of the holiday drinks (I know everyone's all "peppermint mocha" ... but I don't do mint), but still ... I'd rather stick with my regular vanilla latte. To each her own, I guess.

I love your Remy plush! Sorry the champagne was a disappointment, but hopefully Remy made up for it a bit.

Yay for getting to hang out with Keels!! It's always nice to have a friend around when things aren't going your way.

I'm glad you guys got some good stuff at F&W! Although I am sad about the spanikopita, because I'm a big spanikopita fan ... but I can understand Mr. A liking his mom's version better.

I'm looking forward to reading about your expo experience! Hopefully it wasn't too chaotic.

Great start so far! :thumbsup2 I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your report and hearing about your thoughts on the races.

Don't you just love the Polynesian?!? It's our resort from my childhood trips, so it has special meaning for me. And I'm so glad I got to stay there again this past Spring Break. The DVC rooms are amazing, both the room itself and the location. I want to live in one of those studios! Just add a full kitchen and I'd be set!

I'm so sorry about the Indians losing. We were really hoping they'd win. We were at the Magic Kingdom on Saturday when they had the Cubs victory parade, and it was torture for us. We were waiting for Festival of Fantasy and it was Cubs fans everywhere even though the victory parade was later. I know not all Cubs fans are bad, but some of them were extremely rude that day. One group had staked out a spot right on the curb and were sitting, but then stood when the parade came. They were blocking our view down the street the whole time and refused to sit when we politely asked them. Everyone else on the curb was sitting. :headache::mad: Needless to say we avoided Main Street when the actual parade was going on and hid out in the Monsters Laugh Floor!

Anyway, sounds like a good morning at Food and Wine! We also tried the pork slider from Hawaii and it was good.

Loving your report!!!
First, I can't believe we were at poly at the same time! Love it there! You are right though, it's tight with 4 of us! We use the big bathroom for a lot of storage! Plus, we have two strollers o_O We transferred to AKL Friday-through Monday and were spoiled with a 1 bdrm! Omg it was heaven! A king bed which was great for going to bed at 8:30 Saturday night...sorry, I digress! Lol
Second, I knew I saw you at MK Wednesday night! I wouldn't forget those pants!!!! Super cool!
Third....I forgot to get my tumbler!!!
Looking forward to reading more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter