1000's of H1N1 shots recalled on Long Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mouse House Mama

Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
I hope nobody has any bad side effects from it. I just saw this on the news.

I am so glad we did not get this shot. Good luck to those who did.

There are shots being recalled across the country. It isn't because of side effects but that the potency weakened in transport.

If they couldn't figure something as simple as potency out what else did they not account for?
That of course is my opinion and others may vary.

I read about it on the Dis yesterday. It is just in some kids, up to age 3, single syringe (no mercury) doses. There is nothing wrong with them, they just fell in strength and that age will get another dose anyway.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/syringes_qa.htm
The vaccine potency is only slightly below the “specified” range. The vaccine in these lots is still expected to be effective in stimulating a protective response despite this slight reduction in the concentration of antigen. There is no need to re-administer a dose to those who received vaccine from these lots. However, as is recommended for all 2009 H1N1 vaccines, all children less than 10 years old should get the recommended two doses of H1N1 vaccine approximately a month apart for the optimal immune response. Therefore, children less than 10 years old who have only received one dose of vaccine thus far should still receive a second dose of 2009 H1N1 vaccine

If they couldn't figure something as simple as potency out what else did they not account for?

Contrary to popular belief, medicine isn't an exact science and sometimes things to pan out as planned so they recall things and fix it, big deal.

Actually, they did figure out the correct potency and found that some of their batches didn't meet it and voluntarily recalled it. I would be more concerned if they didn't bother to recall it and leave us all in the dark;)

From your remarks it seems you clear you didn't even read any of the factual information about this recall. This is an alarmist reaction but it's not based on facts so it's extremely misleading.

I work for the Nassau County Dept. of Health and the shots are fine. B/C parents are worried about thimerosal in vaccines, these were preservative free and the potency wore out. If your children were due for their 2nd shot, follow up with that, but don't worry about getting them revaccinated b/c whatever they did get should work.

I got my H1N1 and seasonal on the same day and I'm fine. I have complete use of all limbs!

Don't worry about the vaccines, they are safe.

From your remarks it seems you clear you didn't even read any of the factual information about this recall. This is an alarmist reaction but it's not based on facts so it's extremely misleading.
I actually did read all the info on it. I am far from an alarmist or anti vaccine. I am not the only person who is not keen on this particular vax.
They also recalled the vaccine in Canada. Sorry, but that seems like a lot that they didn't account for. YMMV.

I work for the Nassau County Dept. of Health and the shots are fine. B/C parents are worried about thimerosal in vaccines, these were preservative free and the potency wore out. If your children were due for their 2nd shot, follow up with that, but don't worry about getting them revaccinated b/c whatever they did get should work.

I got my H1N1 and seasonal on the same day and I'm fine. I have complete use of all limbs!

Don't worry about the vaccines, they are safe.

I have seen the letters from the NCDH. Sorry to say but not all of them are thimerosal free. The ones that they offered to pregnant women were not. They had a disclaimer of sorts in the letter stating that mercury will not harm you. Yeah right!:rotfl:
I don't care who gets them or not but the public should be informed. You say the vaccines are safe but have you personally seen all the research etc.? Many doctors (whose opinions I trust) do not support this vaccine.
At any rate- if you got the vaccine- it can't hurt to know about this and if you didn't then it is just some more info.
I have no personal agenda with it nor am I on some crusade.

I'm glad that I clicked on this thread and didn't just read what the OP contained, because if I had ONLY seen the bolded part above, I would've been under the assumption that this vaccine had NEGATIVE side effects/problems, and not that it was just not up to par, strength-wise.

I'm glad that in this country each family can make medical decisions for themselves, and personally, after doing as much research as I can, I've opted to vaccinate my DSs and myself. (DSs are young adults and decide for themselves, but I recommended that they go for the flu vaccines, and they agreed).

I agree that the OP's original post was misleading.

I'm glad that I clicked on this thread and didn't just read what the OP contained, because if I had ONLY seen the bolded part above, I would've been under the assumption that this vaccine had NEGATIVE side effects/problems, and not that it was just not up to par, strength-wise.

I'm glad that in this country each family can make medical decisions for themselves, and personally, after doing as much research as I can, I've opted to vaccinate my DSs and myself. (DSs are young adults and decide for themselves, but I recommended that they go for the flu vaccines, and they agreed).

I agree that the OP's original post was misleading.

I have to agree with this as well. I already knew why the vaccine had been recalled, but from reading the OP's post, I could see where people are going to take it a whole different way.

Our morning paper mentioned 500 were recalled from a clinic held in our area. They mentioned the antigen may have stuck to the sides of the syringe. They really down played it.

I know that there have been a handful of cases where people didn't react well but it appears that the vast majority of people who have the shots are just fine. I thought that by now all of this alarmist stuff would have died down.

We had the vaccine recalled in Utah too. It was the childs vaccine but it wasn't strong enough to battle the virus so many are having to get "2nd round" shots I believe? I am not sure how that works yet.

We had the vaccine recalled in Utah too. It was the childs vaccine but it wasn't strong enough to battle the virus so many are having to get "2nd round" shots I believe? I am not sure how that works yet.
It is the same recall. Two rounds of shots has been the recommendation for children for some time now, not related to this specific issue. Since the recalled vaccines were only slightly below standards in potency, children should still get some benefit from that shot, and there is no change from the two-shot recommendation for all children.

I actually did read all the info on it. I am far from an alarmist or anti vaccine. I am not the only person who is not keen on this particular vax.
They also recalled the vaccine in Canada. Sorry, but that seems like a lot that they didn't account for. YMMV.

I have seen the letters from the NCDH. Sorry to say but not all of them are thimerosal free. The ones that they offered to pregnant women were not. They had a disclaimer of sorts in the letter stating that mercury will not harm you. Yeah right!:rotfl:
I don't care who gets them or not but the public should be informed. You say the vaccines are safe but have you personally seen all the research etc.? Many doctors (whose opinions I trust) do not support this vaccine.
At any rate- if you got the vaccine- it can't hurt to know about this and if you didn't then it is just some more info.
I have no personal agenda with it nor am I on some crusade.

I didn't say they were all thimerosal free, only the ones being recalled, which are the doses for infants. If you want a preservative free vaccination, you only need to ask. I know, b/c I've worked the clinics during the vacc's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter