$1000 Disney Dining: The endless review!

Love the report !! Keep it coming. And by the Way your home town of Niagra on the Lake is beautiful!! Beats the Peg anytime!

:rotfl2:

I really tried to get DM and I to have the "lady time" at tea...DB...38 yoa and 6"4'...200 lbs....decides he wants to come....he discovered strawberries and cream....we will never get to go alone :rotfl:

DB also LOVES the ginger sauce at Teppanyaki....if you ask they will put a whole ladlefull on your rice...how do I know...yep...he asked!

Lovin' the reports!

Part 5

Day5, Dec 15: Well, everyone survived the Pirate(ARRRGGGHHH!)Cruise and had a good time... especially Tommy who noted that all the grown-up pirates, on their adventure, were ladies... and could he still be a pirate if he was a man? Geez, we were hoping he was going to be a belly dancer. We had some shopping to do so we all went off to do that and decided, after our errands, to have lunch at McDonald's in the Crossroads Plaza. Well McDonald's is McDonald's after all. I give it a C+. The kids shared 20 Nuggets, DH had a Big Mac with no onion, extra pickles, the kids ate his fries and I had a the side garden salad with the Cobb dressing (can't get that in Canada, eh!) which was pretty good 'cause the tomatoes tasted like tomatoes, the lettuce was crisp and fresh and the dressing was pretty OK. It'll do. The day had turned hot(!!!!!!) and we all stripped down to our t-shirts and/or tank-tops(except for DH who's not allowed to wear a tank-top, hee, hee!) While enjoying our McDonald's meal(well, sort of)... Calvin noted that he was loving the fact that there was a ton of snow back at home and the weather was SO HOT here. He then told me he loved me and when he learned to write cursive in school, after Christmas, he would pee his name in the snow just for me! Yes... another fine and "magical" Disney moment for us. The other thing that amused me at lunch was that in the American McDonalds' there are many different varieties of dipping sauces for the nuggets. When I mentioned my slack-jawed amazement at that... the counter man gave us one of each to try with the nuggets. It was about 10, yes TEN, different sauces in all. The family asked if they could open them ALL and taste. They asked this of me while wearing huge grins pasted on all their faces. Because... they just knew this would give me the twitches. Yes, I'm a little OCD at times. I told them I thought it would be a terrible waste of sauce and begged them to reconsider. But I was quickly reminded that WE were on VACATION... and Calvin noted that DH and I had had beer at lunch the other day. Gave in. Twitched a little. The Buffalo sauce was pretty good. Left Mickey D's to go swimming.

Later on the same afternoon, at SAB at the Beach Club, I decided to sample a beverage from Hurricane Hanna's. I tried the Shipwreck(A++)... actually, I tried 2 of them in a relatively short time. When DH and the kids found me, after they finished on the water-slide, I had made some lovely new friends from New York, Florida and Texas. He took one look at me and laughingly asked what I was drinking. I told him "It's called a Shipwreck... but now I'm a trainwreck!"... he called me his "Little Shipwreck" for the rest of the week. And I even took a picture of my second one for the album. It was a combo of vodka, sweet and sour mix, coconut, pineapple and soda and it was very good. I recommend them. Yes, have 2.

Dinner was a return trip to Alfredo's(A) in the Italian Pavillion at EPCOT. I was pretty hungry now. We had a great table, again, with lots of room... I think a rarity at this particular restaurant. And a new young very friendly waiter. He was great. Again we were served a basket of warm sourdoughish rolls which were good and had a crispy crust. Plate of butter for the kids and olive oil, balsamic and fresh ground pepper for DH and myself to dip. DH and I split the Caesar Salad and the kids joined in on the Calamari(2-4 person sharing size) Platter as well. I think the Caesar Salad was outstanding. We had a large portion which our server divided up for us, giving us each really large individual plates of it. The dressing was superb, it tasted strongly and primarily of anchovies!!!!! YEAH! DH and I are crazy about anchovies, we even eat them in whole strips on our caesar salad at home. The salad had freshly grated parmesean cheese on top and the thin crispy flat crouton was really yummy too. This was yum. Our three tiny tablemates are CRAZY about calamari. They plowed through this large platter and left DH and myself a few bits to try. I was impressed because the batter was not too thick, stayed put on the calamari and wasn't greasy like at many other places. The crispy frizzled zucchini, onion, and peppers were good too. I didn't try the dipping sauce but Calvin says it was great and wondered, aloud, how much tomato sauce they make in the restaurant every day? I am a straight-up Calamari girl... as well as a shoe girl... ok, and I like my martinis that way too. DH and I shared a carafe of the Chianti again. It was fine, nothing exciting. For our mains, Beth and I shared an order of the fettucini once again and we just as pleased as at lunch the other day. However, this seemed a MUCH larger portion to us. It was hard to get through being that it's so rich. But it was worth the effort, let me tell ya. DH had the Special, I think. Anyway, it was roast lamb with a demiglace, rosemary roast potatoes and veggies. I was not even allowed near it. He pronounced it too well done but tender and flavourful anyway. The potatoes and veggies were very good too, he claimed. He was quite happy with it. The portion was also very large. He was a happy happy man who was not wearing a tank top. Which made me a happy happy woman. Calvin had the spagetti and meatballs again. I barely saw them hit the table as they were inhailed instantly. Great. Man, he is one picky eater. Ha. Tommy had the penne with cream and parmesean cheese. He didn't eat it. Don't know why, maybe he was full from the bread and the calamari but he didn't say. After 2 Shipwrecks and a half carafe of wine... I didn't care so much. Full, very, very full and happy. No dessert for us, again. Surprise. Headed off to watch Illuminations. Everyone really enjoyed our second visit to Alfredo's and Calvin would have peed "Thank-you" in the snow if there had been any.

Yes, much more of this drivel to come. Thanks... really, thanks for staying.

I love your reports!!!pirate::rotfl:
1000thhappyhaunt said:
"Everyone really enjoyed our second visit to Alfredo's and Calvin would have peed "Thank-you" in the snow if there had been any"
You're cracking me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Keep it coming!! :wizard:

Man you just have me and half my office rolling on the FLOOR! I actually shot water out of my nose and onto my computer screen during the pirate japanese cook part-keep it coming!

Part 6

Day 6, Dec 16: Lunch was at the 50's Prime Time Cafe(A+). Actually, we had never been there before and when we walked into the lounge to wait for our table I almost shed a tear. It was not the Prime Time Cafe... it was my long deceased Baba's house in Coniston, Ontario. And... I was five years old, and it was Christmas and I was locked in the closet thanks to my older cousins and screaming and begging them to let me out so I could have some pineapple/carrot jellied salad and frozen strawberry dessert. Ahhhhh, memories. I could almost smell the cigarrette smoke and Canadian Club Whiskey in the air. Ok... enough sentimental stuff. But I was very impressed with the authenticity of the place, nonetheless. Now, my kids had no idea of the theme or anything else, however, I did let my DH in on the possibility of "play" during lunch. He wasn't very amused because that's not really his type of thing. But it's mine... so we were here. This was our longest wait so far for a table... about 10 minutes, but we were actually late by 15 mins. for our ADR because Tower of Terror was at walk-on status and we are BIG fans. Except for Beth... who knows the ToT gift-shop better than her own bedroom and even looks miserable in the family photos of us all with the ToT in the background. But she lives for the Rock n' Roll Rollercoaster... she's a "thrills but not chills" type of girl. Ok... I'm getting carried away so on to the lunch stuff. We were seated by a slightly crabby older hostess but were quite pleased to meet our nice, funny, cute server named Cousin Carlos. He told the kids the "rules" and to make sure we, their parents, followed all. He encouraged them to tattle on us if we didn't. We ordered the chicken soup and crackers for Calvin and also asked for bread. Nothing much to say about the bread... mass produced, cardboardy dinner rolls of the bag variety, but they suited the theme. I didn't actually try one but am pretty sure of myself here. Calvin thought they were great. Beth and myself shared the Chicken Caesar Salad and it was brought out to us divided on two plates. It could have fed 5 other people. It was pretty good. Crisp romaine, not too much dressing (as I was fearing), good and HUGE homemade croutons, grated parmesean cheese and tasty enough grilled chicken strips on top. We each got a entire breast worth despite asking for only one salad between us. Too much of one taste, though... got bored at some point through it and handed it over to DH who liked it just fine, too. But, it was worth ordering. Beth liked it much more than she would have the one at Alfredo's which would have been too anchovieish (what the heck?) for her. Tommy got the hotdog and fries and they seemed to suit his taste. The fries were very hot for a change. DH ordered the Fried Chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans. He thought the chicken was very good(better than KFC... what kudos!) and there were 4 big pieces of it, too. The potatoes he said were fine and the beans were way too overcooked, mushy and inedible. Perfect. JUST like Mom's. We also ordered cokes, chocolate milks and two beers to go along with lunch. Now during this whole meal I was putting my elbows on the table, talking with my mouth full and generally making the kids crazy... they were busy telling Cousin Carlos all about my lack of social graces. He was scolding me everytime he passed by. I ramped it up by sticking my tongue out at Calvin, giving him the snake-eye and pretending to pick my nose when only he was looking at me. He was losing his mind because I was denying it and the others were telling him that "Mommy wouldn't do that... I didn't see her!"... Finally, I got sent to the corner by Cousin Carlos for using potty language(butt) in my "lines" I had to write out for my misbehaving at the table. Then he trooped the whole family through our room into the other room where I was sitting in the corner and asked Calvin to tell everyone in the PACKED dining room why I was sitting in the corner. Calvin bellows, "She picked her nose. Mommy was picking her nose SO deep!" I died. My face felt a thousand degrees. I wasn't expecting that. Score 1 for Calvin... 0 for me. Much laughter... I thought DH was going to rupture himself... I think he actually squealed. But it was a manly squeal. Enough. No dessert for us. Big tip for Cousin Carlos. Picture of him for our album, too. Chilly silence for Calvin. Just kidding. He wanted to know how much redder, exactly, my face could go? Not much, my darling boy.

More to come but gotta fly.

Really enjoying reading your reviews ~ Can't wait to read more.

I'm really enjoying reading your reviews. Can't wait for the rest of them!

Part 7

Day 6, Dec 16: Lunch kept us full for most of the day but, later on, after watching the stunt show and before the Osborne Lights, we decided to all split one of those big pretzels(C+). Now, it looked positively huge as DH carried it over to us... but break that into 5 equalish pieces and it doesn't seem like much anymore. This one was WAY too heavily salted and we had to brush and pick the crystals off of it to make it edible. We dipped it in a container of the nacho cheese dip that they sell to go along with the pretzels and all agreed that we like to dip it in Pecos Bill's cheese sauce much better. That's yum. We all suddenly got thirsty and sent DH back to the booth to get drinks. While we were waiting for them, Calvin and I noticed a group of obnoxious, loud, rude teens nearby. One of them shot another the bird. Calvin looks over at me and, smiling, asks "Mom, what does it mean when you stick your middle finger up at someone?"... I smile back at him "Table for one, dear." DH comes back with drinks which we guzzle down gratefully as we are all parched from our Salt Pretzel overload. We carry on.

Dinner was at the Yacht Club Galley(B++). It was late, we were all pretty tired... especially Calvin who started to bug his sister and brother while waiting for our Friendship ride back to the Beach and Yacht Clubs. By the time we walked into the lobby of the Yacht Club it had become a full-on fight between Calvin and Beth with eye-glaring, insults and declarations of life-long hatred. I tell DH to please get them to chill while I go and see if I can get us a table for dinner. Calvin follows me complaining loudly about his lot in life and decides that he hates us all, doesn't want to eat with us and, with full and exaggerated hand gesture, demands "A TABLE FOR ONE!". Another "magical" Disney moment for us... and for the twenty other people in the lobby who were previously enjoying the voices of the Carollers and the beauty of the season. I love him. DH has a "chat" with the older kids and we all sit down in a booth. We are all very close to one another. And also to the family beside us who have two large, rude young teenage sons with them. I felt sorry for the parents after about 5 minutes of listening to their kids treat them with absolutely no respect or gratitude. We ordered two Braised Beef "Sandwiches" and a side order of fries for DH and myself. WOW! Great new discovery. They were definitely delish. Large chunks of pot-roasted beef in a red wine flavoured gravy on toasted french bread slabs with arugula, lots of carmelized onion(YUM!) and portobella mushrooms, too. The tops were drizzled with balsamic "cream" and sprinkled with blue cheese crumbles. YUM... totally yum. The sandwiches were open-faced. Big portions as well, we really didn't need the fries but I was having a craving. Tomato juices and water to drink for us as well. Beth ordered chicken fingers and fries and they were "great" according to her. Hot and fresh looking. Calvin had the Kids Cheeseburger Meal. Imagine that. It was an adult sized burger and adult sized portion of fries but he managed to get through it all, just the same. I had a little bite of the burger and it was, surprisingly, very tasty. I would order a burger there from the adult menu. They also brought him a side dish of toppings for his burger... lots of lettuce, tomato and plenty of pickles. He was now a happy member of our table of FIVE. Oops, four. Tommy was sound asleep in the stroller parked beside us... nothing for him.
The kids had cokes to drink. We were all pleasantly chatting about our busy day when suddenly, out of the blue, Calvin looks at DH and says "You are a disgusting pervert!" And laughs. DH and I look at each other in shock and awe! The two spoiled kids and their sad parents beside us gawk at us in horror... and now THEY are feeling sorry for US. "CALVIN!" DH roars... (just like Homer yells "BART!")... "What...wha...wha... PARDON ME?" Calvin says "That's exactly what the teenager guys I play hockey with on our street call each other! It's funny... isn't it?" We all have a quiet family discussion. I try not to make eye contact with the other family again. No dessert. Slink out of restaurant.

More to come... probably after Xmas. Off to the Extended Family Christmas Adventure... Best wishes to all.

Great reviews, so entertaining (yet informative!). Your kids are so funny, especially young Calvin! :rotfl:

Every time I read about Calvin...I can just picture the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes"...is anyone else just waiting for Calvin to rip his clothes off and go running through the woods?

Excellent reviews. I am loving the "table for one" incident.

We flew out of buffalo one day ahead of you and attended the same MVMCP.

Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to share the great adventures you had! Please continue when you return.

Part 8

Day 7, Dec 17: It was 11:30am and we were HUNGRY! We had set the alarm for 8:00am to get to the Magic Kingdom at opening time... we had a plan for the day... to be the 1st people on Tom Sawyer Island and to find a paintbrush. The alarm didn't get to go off. Luckily for me, Tommy woke up and then woke me up in the standard form: "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Mommy...etc.". It continues until I open my eyes and look at him. Throw Poptarts(Ick!) into the kids and coffee(A++) into DH and myself. No showers. NO TIME! Ballcaps on the boys... and ponytails for Beth and myself (the female equivalent of ballcaps). Run madly through the maze which calls itself the Beach Club Villas to our car. Get to MK. Ride Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Be the first family both on and off the raft to Tom Sawyer Island. Split up and dash like idiots around the island looking for paintbrushes. FIND 3! Yes, three. CRAP! Tell the raft captain who scolds us that it's only 1 per family. Yes, we realized that... but we were all split up and didn't know if the others had found one, too. Offer to re-hide 2 again. Leave island. Ride Splash Mountain. Ride BTMR. Realize that we are all VERY HUNGRY. We have a dilemna. No ADR... what should we do? We walk over to the Liberty Tree Tavern to see if we can be walk-ins. No dice. The CM also checks if the Plaza Restaurant, Crystal Palace and Tony's are available. Nope. We decide to go back to Pecos Bill's(B-) and DH decides to wait in line for a giant turkey leg(A++) and then meet us all in PB's back room. I'm a little bummed because I didn't really enjoy the last burger I had there all that much. But we're all much too hungry to walk around looking for something else. So we go and order 2 double cheeseburger meals, extra fries and cokes again. Then I realize that I must go to the topping bar for everything else with a trayfull of food and a stroller and three kids in tow. We manage... however, the brakes on our stroller no longer work so Tommy does donuts in the lobby area beside the topping bar as Beth and I attempt to put every condiment on earth into those little tiny paper cuplets. Could they BE any smaller? Tommy almost takes out 2 people who are carrying trays. They look around to glare angrily at his owners... we pretend not to know him. I roll my eyes and shrug my shoulders in sympathy at the two women. All loaded up, we find one of the bigger tables in the last room down the hall, and I start to put everyone's food together. I decide that my previous mistake here may have been a classic overtopping one. I decide to cut back on burger fixings this time. I top my burger with cheese, little bit of lettuce, two pickles, one tomato slice, ketchup and mustard only. The bare minimum in my opinion. I'm optimistic. Beth gets ketchup and extra pickle only. Tommy gets the same. Calvin gets 2 circles of bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles(lots), mustard, mayo and ketchup. And... he wants salt and pepper. Back to the topping bar. ARRRRGGHHHH! When I sit back down, Tommy decides to have a big stretch and leans back to relax on the back of the chair... which ISN'T there. Crash. We all look down at him on the floor. He's shocked and caught in that moment in time where he must decide whether to laugh or cry. I yell "Whoopsi-DO!" in a silly voice and make big wide eyes and a cartoon "O" mouth. He decides to laugh and the crisis is averted. DH comes back just as I am about to dig in and proudly presents his massive turkey leg(which is just slightly smaller than our cat), a single piece of wax paper and one knife, "Wow... what a line for turkey legs! What have you guys been doing?" Never mind. So I take my first bite of my different-yet-the-same Pecos Bill's burger. Sigh. Still bland. However, the kids seem to love them... even Beth who is not really a burger-gal. Calvin says his burger is just great. And wonders why, exactly, it took Daddy so long to get just one stinkin' turkey leg? So, I'm the odd man out with the burgers. Maybe it's just me. Maybe everyone else on earth loves them. Again, the fries dipped in the cheese sauce is stellar. Yum. I decide to fix my tasteless burger by tearing little chunks of it off and dipping it in cheese sauce, too. It does help. Well, DH is tearing into his turkey with one knife, no fork or napkins, and a great deal of manly gusto. He pronounces it a 10 out of 10. So Beth and I stop eating and sit very still, staring at him. It takes him about one very long minute to realize it. "What?" he asks, looking at us suspiciously. Beth tells him, "Mommy and I would like to try your turkey leg, too." He slices us each a piece off of it. We try. DH is anxious for our reviews. Beth says that it tastes like ham. She was expecting to taste turkey but what she tastes is ham. She finds that confusing for her tastebuds and doesn't like that feeling at all. She won't eat it, again. Ditto for me. I have similar-type issues with the green ketchup thing. DH looks at us like we're crazy and dives back in. This is a moment when I look at my first-born with pity. Poor Beth... she not only looks like me... but she's also like me in so many other ways. Strange ways. DH puts his knife down and picks up the turkey/ham leg and bites in. A big, thick, elastic turkey tendon snaps on his lip with audible noise. Gross. He is glazed in fat. All of his fingers and his mouth and chin. I love him. I decide to tell him that the sight of him eating that big meat leg thingie is kind of unappetizing to me. He looks at me, raises his eyebrow, and says that he was thinking that the sight of me tearing my burger apart and trying to wedge it in the little paper cup of cheese isn't all that appealing, either, but he wasn't going to mention it. But, now he will... 'cause we're being so honest with each other. WOW. I've grossed DH out! I feel strangely proud of myself. Round two of Pecos Bill's ends without further incident. We head out to Adventureland. At least this lunch wasn't, at all, "Magically Expensive"... it was very reasonably priced. And, we WERE all very full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter