10 things most first-timers don't know

Birthdays can be a huge thing at WDW. Don't forget to go get your button as soon as you walk in the gate at Guest Relations. The CMs do go out of their way to make your day special (at least in our opinion). We walked out of HS with tons of cards from the attractions for my Moms bday. Also anniversaries, just married, and First timers can get a button as well.

correct me if im wrong..

but if you are staying on disney property - you can have them send any merchandise you buy (around the property) back to your resort for free (pretty sure its free)

Be sure you know what rides are available, know the height restrictions and understand the fast-pass system!

Just wanted to note that you do not need a guidebook to "know" what's in every park. This information, as well as height restrictions, how to use FP's and also the location of every eatery and rest room, IS RIGHT ON THE PARK MAP.

So my tip would be to pick up a park map and a Times Guide for each park. Everything you need is right there! (You would not believe the number of folks who don't look at the map, then complain that they missed just about everything).

Planning our first trip to DW with kids ages 7 & 10.... any suggestions on what the kids should bring to carry? I don't want to be the only one who is carrying everything for the four of us. They have autograph books, hats, sunglasses, snacks, etc. Suggestions?

Don't forget a pen for the autograph book. A water bottle.

But once you get your map, move off to the side to study it! Or, better yet, use one of dozens of sites to see a map ahead of time and make a plan of attack! I get so disgusted with a group of adults, all hovering around a map saying "Waht do you want to do?" "I dont know, what do YOU want to do"? Disney is so freaking expensive that you are wasting valuable time!!!!!
:scared1:

What would you add to the list?

I'd add...

1. Gum is also not sold at MCO. If you want it, you'll need to have your own or buy it off the WDW property.

2. Disney will tell you to allow 60-90 minutes to get around the world using their transportation. They aren't joking. If you have to transfer, it can take that long. Plan ahead, especially If you have guaranteed something with a credit card!

6. If you trade with CMs, you will probably get cheap, fake pins. If that's okay with you, great. But if you don't want to trade your $6 pin for a knock-off, don't trade with CMs.

7. Disney's free app will just give you whatever they have posted in the park, not actual wait times. It's still helpful, but there are better apps.

My Rule: ALWAYS PEE before you get on the monorail.

YELLOW LINES -stay behind them at the trams. If you don't, you may hold up the team for everyone. Also, the front seats of each tram section have two rows of seats. At close, people sit in both rows.

TICKETS FOR UNIVERSAL are not included with park hopping. You have to buy Uni and Disney tickets separately.

NOT ALL PARKS have emh hours each day! There is a schedule! Also, if you want to leave one park to use EMHs in another park, you need park-hoppers! It isn't a perk for all WDW hotel guests! You must have the park-hopper.

Cute shoes are not your friend at Disney! Trade fashion for comfort or your trip will be miserable!

1. Sunscreen. Bring it. Lots of it. Unless you want to pay around double what you would at home if you forget it.

2. Do yourself a favor and don't wear new shoes. Break them in ahead of time, and bring more than one pair. Shoes will rub your feet in different places, so it helps to not have to wear the same ones day after day.

3. Plan. Even if you just know the bare bones basics, don't try to fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants completely. WDW isn't the place to go in blind.

4. You won't die on the rides, and you won't fly out of them, either. Promise. ;) So ride everything with confidence!

5. Make every minute last, because it will be over before you know it.

6. Check out other resort hotels to see where you want to stay next time. Because this may be your first trip, but you WILL be back. Disney law requires it! :thumbsup2

(ETA: thought of a few more ;) )

7. Do get a spot ahead of time to watch the parade. No, people who have been waiting there for an hour will not (and should not have to) make room for you in the front ... so get there early if you want the best view.

8. Take time to notice the little things and all the special little details, such as the windows on the buildings on Main Street. Look for hidden Mickeys everywhere.

1. keep you cell phone on and charged, in case you lose someone in your group.(write you cell number on a tag and clip it to the inside of your childs clothing and let them know what to do if you get lost.)

2. Have fun, Its not a race to see who can get the most done. Sometimes rushing around you miss the magic.

3. The dining plan is great. Learn where you can use it in each park.

1. If you are a large person, and have had bad experiences at amusement parks previously, you may be anxious about what you might not be able to ride with your kids. Stop worrying! There are very few attractions at WDW that you wouldn't be able to ride.

2. Oh, and another thread reminded me - Adults may not wear character costumes into the parks, unless it is to attend the Halloween party.

3. Keep in mind that a Disney trip is not really a "vacation." By which I mean, on vacation you might expect to have some time to lounge and sleep in. At WDW, it seems like you are always gogogo trying to see everything you want, frequently in the heat and humidity and it can be exhausting. So just remember that you need to plan for some down time so you don't burn out. We always have at least one sleep in day in the middle of the week. Which brings me to my next point...

4. Get to the parks as early as you can. You'll be able to do so much more before everyone else arrives and then have time for an afternoon break before going back out for the evening activities. However, unless you have park hoppers and can do morning EMH, then transfer to a less crowded park, always avoid the park with EMH.

5. Even if you don't book through Disney, go on their website and sign up for an account. Order the planning DVD and some free souvenir maps. You might get a surprise in the mail - a PIN number for a discount on your trip!

6. Drink, drink, drink water. Even if you're not thirsty.

7. Only take old, broken in shoes, your most supportive and comfy. Don't worry about fashion. Have at least two pairs so you can switch out. Nothing ruins a WDW trip like hobbling around on sore feet the whole time!

8. If you have a kid who is sensitive to loud noises, dark, and the unknown, prepare him or her. Show them Youtube videos of the rides before you go, so they'll know what to expect. Take earplugs and a small flash light so they can feel in control of the situation. I have a mild Aspie kid and this made a world of difference. Although he doesn't like vacationing at unfamiliar places, WDW is now like a second home to him.

9. Don't feel like you have to carry a ton of stuff into the parks. I take a small bag with just the necessities. We can get water at a CS, no need to bring it. First Aid in each park means I don't need all that stuff. Usually I just have keys, camera, phone, $/credit cards, lip balm, tiny hand sanitizer and sunscreen.

10. Be willing to consider an off-site stay. There are some really nice places nearby, and with a car to get to the parks, you will be just fine. Your family will have lots more room to spread out. You will have more dining options, and can take a break from the world when needed. A washing machine and kitchen stocked with quick breakfasts, dinners, and snacks is a big bonus! Many people will tell you it's just not a Disney vacation unless you stay in the bubble, but that's not true for all. There are some disadvantages to that approach too - so don't be so quick to drink the KoolAid, and consider your family's needs. Either way, odds are you'll have a great trip!

Certain nights in Sept/Oct and Nov/Dec the Magic Kingdom closes at 7pm for the Halloween and Christmas parties. You need a separate ticket to attend those events. This got us our first trip. It was my first time since I was a kid and we just showed up to the MK one day in October planning on spending the day. We were very surprised to find out the park was closing early for the party. Had I known, we would have done the MK on a different day and went to one of the other parks the day of the party. Parties are also a lot of fun, we attended on subsequent trips, getting tickets in advance on-line in case they sold out.

You can use fastpasses anytime after the designated time window!...

..oh wait. Scratch that. :headache:

:rotfl::laughing:

O.k., a real one.

You can get free water in the parks from any place that offers it in the soda fountains. Bring your own cup and fill'r up. (or they can provide you with a disposable cup)

Dan

If you are doing a split stay at more than one Disney Resort make sure all your information is transferred onto your KTTW card at the second resort. Admissions, Dining Plan and Credit Card info. Should you forget......guest relations CM's are your friends!

Not sure if this has been mentioned but if you want at any table service restaurants you need to make reservations 6 months in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter