• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

10 night stay at Disney, Do Universal or No?

10 night BCV stay, do just Disney or take 1 day at Universal

• Just Disney

• a day at Universal

Results are only viewable after voting.

michelleiada

DIS Veteran
So we are a group of 18 heading down next week for 10 nights at Beach Club Villas. My family of four, my parents, my two brothers and their families, and my sister and her family. I have been to Disney many times, and so have my sister and her family, and my parents twice. My two brothers and their families have never been so this is a first visit for them. My question is, do we make it just a "Disney" vacation or do we head over to Universal for a day? My husband and I have been to Universal and we took our daughters when they were very little so they don't remember much of it. Besides us the rest of the group has never done Universal. Now...I know that there is plenty to do at Disney but I may never get the entire family down there together ever again. Do we spend the extra money or do we just enjoy Disney? Would love all of your input!!

So we are a group of 18 heading down next week for 10 nights at Beach Club Villas. My family of four, my parents, my two brothers and their families, and my sister and her family. I have been to Disney many times, and so have my sister and her family, and my parents twice. My two brothers and their families have never been so this is a first visit for them. My question is, do we make it just a "Disney" vacation or do we head over to Universal for a day? My husband and I have been to Universal and we took our daughters when they were very little so they don't remember much of it. Besides us the rest of the group has never done Universal. Now...I know that there is plenty to do at Disney but I may never get the entire family down there together ever again. Do we spend the extra money or do we just enjoy Disney? Would love all of your input!!

Hum, will you be with your family the whole 10 days? I know I would need a break from mine. We were at BCV last month for 9 days just our family of 4 and regret that we did not do Universal (we have never been). We went in 2009 with my 2 stepbrothers and my stepmom and did not do Universal then either as that was our first Disney trip. Hoping to go again in 2012 and this time Universal will be a must. Question for you, will you just take a Mears bus to Universal the day you are going? I am thinking of staying for 2 nights by Universal so we can get early entry, but not sure if its worth it. Also, do not like switching hotels much!!!

It's a very personal decision I would think...but for me I would just do Disney. With that large of a group I think it will take the full 10 days to really enjoy Disney and the time together. The trip to Universal (especially with you all being first timers there) might be more frustration than it is worth. I would plan a seperate trip...even if it's not all of you...and do Universal properly over 2-3 days. Remember that there are 2 parks there, City Walk, the 3 resorts, and the Harry Potter area (while VERY cool) can be a major time suck on the day. And with that many people...yikes!

But it's your vacation and if you all really want to do it...go for it! Just make sure you have a good plan for it to relieve some potential stress upon arrival.

Hum, will you be with your family the whole 10 days? I know I would need a break from mine. We were at BCV last month for 9 days just our family of 4 and regret that we did not do Universal (we have never been). We went in 2009 with my 2 stepbrothers and my stepmom and did not do Universal then either as that was our first Disney trip. Hoping to go again in 2012 and this time Universal will be a must. Question for you, will you just take a Mears bus to Universal the day you are going? I am thinking of staying for 2 nights by Universal so we can get early entry, but not sure if its worth it. Also, do not like switching hotels much!!!

We will probably split up here and there but we plan to have 1 meal a day together, either breakfast or dinner. Too large a group to stick together all the time. As far as transportation to Universal if we go, I hadn't thought that far ahead. I will have a car that fits 7 so we would need to transport the remaining group...either Mears, taxi, or rent a couple of cars.

Universal Parks for1 or 2 days especially if you like roller coasters or H Potter

I love the rides at the Universal parks... and my dorky self spent 3/4 of our day in th WWOHP when we were there in Nov... but that was THE reason for the trip. I was there to drink butterbeer til my bell ached, eat at Three Broomsticks, ride the "three" rides, and soak it all in, including a little shopping at Honeydukes and Dervish and Banges. It was probably my favorite day of 2010. :cool1:

I have wanted to go to Universal ever since it opened but it just never worked out. We are not going on our next trip, since our DS will be so young. If you really want to go, can afford to go and it would not be to much of a hassle (too many young kids or another issue), you should go for it.

We were at Universal last year (not during a Disney trip) and loved it... the rides are great and it was lots of fun. We thought about making a trip there during our Disney stay this year but we will not have a vehicle. It seems like an awful lot of trouble to get there and back from Disney and not have the luxury of a short trip back to our room for a midday break (especailly since we are going in the heat of the summer!). For that reason, we are not going to do it. If you have the opportunity to do it and don't feel it would be a hassle for you then go for it!!

We're great fans of Disney..

however

we have deviated and gone to Universal, Seaworld, etc.

I say go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

Every year, we consider going to Universal, and every year we decide that the additional ticket expense and transportation logistics aren't worth it.

This year we are staying off-property for the first time and will have a car. This may just be the year that we make it to Universal.

Are your family members going to balk at the additional ticket costs?

We went to Universal and not Disney last summer (my idea I'll add) and stayed at the Hard Rock so we had the "express pass" for every ride as much as we wanted. Even with that, I was not impressed with US/IOA - it was just ok.

I thought the theming of the parks was mediocre with little shade or seating. Food was "meh" and the rides seemed tired. I didn't do any of the big coasters - my older son did and liked them - he has a higher opinion of those parks than me. We spent one day at Downtown Disney and I realized how much I missed Disney.

The Harry Potter ride, however, is on a whole other level than the rest of the park. That ride alone may have been worth the other time spent in those parks.

It might be worth a day there - at IOA to see HP - I wouldn't bother with US. If you have big coaster fans then they might like it quite a bit. I'd say let the group vote - those that want to go could certainly go - not like all 18 of you have to agree for just one day right?

Since you are there for 10 days, go ahead and spend a day over at Universal, if you've never been it will be a great experience!

I am thinking of staying for 2 nights by Universal so we can get early entry, but not sure if its worth it. Also, do not like switching hotels much!!!

FYI with the Universal onsite hotels you get two days of perks (early entry to WWoHP and express pass plus) for just one night. So you *could* just stay one night onsite instead of 2 nights offsite, and still get 2 days at the parks.

OP, Universal's worth a visit! Is it worth it for one day? Well, you'll definitely want to research and get there early and know what you're doing (there was a recent heartbreaking post-trip vent thread from someone who was there for a couple hours and then *left*, not really knowing what else there might be to do other than WWoHOP), but it certainly might end up being worth the one day pass!

We took 4 days out of our first Orlando trip (17 days total there) and wanted more! Stayed onsite, had the express pass plus, had an excellent time, and our ONLY regret is that we didn't upgrade to APs, since we're going again in September.

I wouldn't ever go without visiting both parks at Universal so I guess that I'm biased. However I think that 9 days at WDW is plenty even for a large group. I don't think that the rides at Universal are tired at all but to each their own.

I'm having the same dilemma. Since we're only going for 7 nights, I feel like we would be rushed at both WDW and Universal. Also, the only thing we want to go to Universal for is the WWoHP and I guess that can wait until we can take a longer trip. So, since you are taking a longer trip, I would probably suggest going to Universal for a day, if not simply for just a change of pace.

Perhaps the most important consideration are the ages of those traveling in your group. Universal skews heavily toward teenagers and thrill-seekers over 54" tall for many rides.

If you have young children in your group, you may want to consider if they want to spend 2 days braving an earthquake, a tornado, a great white shark, man-eating dinosaurs, comic book villians, and watching the older children over 54" ride roller coasters while they wait on the bench.

I'm sure some would argue that there are child appropriate rides, but really... how many times can you ride the Cat in the Hat ride and watch Barney until you're ready to run back to Disney!

I wouldn't ever go without visiting both parks at Universal so I guess that I'm biased. However I think that 9 days at WDW is plenty even for a large group. I don't think that the rides at Universal are tired at all but to each their own.

^this :worship:

Plus, as you've been to Disney, you could go on a day when the first timers explore a bit on their own if not everyone is on board with Universal.
If your kids are not small, def more than worth it!

This might be a good time to split up. Let the teens and thrill seekers head to Universal while the grandparents, younger kids and tired parents relax at the resort or take in something different/more relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter