10 days to go and now im suddenly solo need info

PCgal

Earning My Ears
I have always gone to disney world solo but never on a road trip solo my sister now says she wants to stay at home and work she just can not afford to go which i can understand.
If my dad goes he says he only wants to stay about 4 days i say no way , I my hotel is booked to stay a week and a half .
I told them i would go by myself because i do not want any one mad on vacation. They say it is not safe to go alone . I do not care, i am going for my planned week and a half no matter what.
My question is has anyone ever had any problems staying in or around disney alone. I am staying right outside disney about a mile.

I've only stayed onsite solo at POR and AKl and I felt very safe. But that was in the world. I thought about off site because of the rates, but still felt safer staying onsite. I suggest you try the Orlando Hotel and Attractions board to see how they felt being safe staying there.

I've gone solo many times and stayed off-site for at least part of the trips.

Whether I feel safe or not depends on the hotel and it's location. When I stayed at both the Hampton Inn and Sierra Suites on Palm Parkway (LBV) I felt very comfortable. There were desk staff 24 hours and day, all outside access doors were locked overnight, no weird characters hanging out, all staff looked professional.

When I was at the HI Maingate West, that was a different story. The hotel had outside corridoors so everyone could see you coming and going, the room door didn't have a deadbolt, I couldn't park my car within view of my room, etc.

The worst was Silverleaf Suites near USF. Not only did the room stink but I was placed in a ground level unit the first night. In order to put up with the smell in the room I had to open lots of windows and there was a slider near my bed. All night I thought some weirdo would come in. The front desk was closed at 10pm, some staff looked like homeless people asked to work for the day, walls were like paper (the neighbors tortured their kids all night), etc.

I look for 24 hour front desk service, interior corridoors, deadbolts on doors, locked or keycard access exterior doors, well lit parking, on-site security (if available) when selecting an off-site hotel.

When I travel alone, I will always give my hotel address and phone number to someone I trust at home. I also give them a copy of my agenda, so they know where I am supposed to be every day. Then I check in with them daily, usually in the evening, by telephone. They know that if I don't check in by late evening that they need to call the police and hospitals in the general area. My contact person has never had to make that call to the police, but knowing that they would if any trouble arose leaves me feeling more relaxed and able to enjoy my vacation.

I live in the Disney area, and walk around all the time, day and night, feeling very safe. Just follow your common-sense and you should be fine. While I haven't heard of many tourist-related crime problems, there is one problem that does recur often: Every few weeks a tourist (and sometimes entire families) will run across the middle of a busy road or highway. Since Orlando is a tourist area, chances are the driver on the road is also on vacation, not familiar with the area, and probably distracted by all the signs and lights. Put the two together, and sure enough someone eventually gets run over. Please, please everyone use the crosswalks and crossing signs at busy intersections. You'll have much more fun spending a week at the parks than a week in the hospital!

it never even occurred to me to question my safety. Now, I'd have to agree with what some others have said about staying off site. I'd just be sure I was staying at an upscale hotel. But, with the tremendous prices Disney is offering now, why don't you consider staying on site? You can get $49 per night in the All Stars.

I have stayed twice at Port Orleans Riverside (then Dixie
Landings) twice with my Husband, and twice totally alone.
I used the pool at night, and it was perfectly safe. I felt safe
as long as I stayed on Disney property at all times, and used
all Disney transportation. Next week is my solo trip to
The Swan, also on Disney Property. Go For It !

I also stay ON-Site usually at All Stars Sports. I was put in Building 2 ALL the way at the end one time, and felt perfectly safe(only one room on the other side of me). Next time I will try and request this same area, as it was quiet and I slept like a baby!:D

I used to travel alone to disney world. before I joined dvc and travel with friends or family. however I always traveled with my pet (a cat) and he was very good about warning when someone was near. He also make sure that he and I were the only ones in the bed (this is Florida and I know you are aware that some places have roaches). I did notice that the place that we had the most problems with was worn down and a new hotel was there. if at all possible try to stay on site you will feel safer at WDW than in Kissimmee or Orlando. but remember even WDW has trouble with thiefs.

I feel that you are just as safe "in the world" as out of it. Which means I'd suggest staying alert no matter where you stay. You might be surprised to know that all the same sorts of crimes occur in Disney as in any other town. So being onsite is no reason to completely relax.

At the same time I travel alone about 50% of the time and I feel comfortable doing it (I'm female). However I agree with other people who suggest staying in well known or upscale hotels. I've stayed alone at Westgate & didn't have a problem with it. Its no different than living alone in an apartment.

I've been solo to WDW several times and never had a problem. It is the most amazing experience!! You get to do what you want, when you want. Eat where and when you want. Ride a ride 20 times if you want. I could go on and on. Now here is a few suggestions. I would call CRO and see if you can get a room at one of the All Stars or even one of the moderates. Staying onsite eliminates driving alone at night. I have stayed at POFQ (twice), POR, & WL solo and have always felt safe at the resorts, on the buses and on-property. You need to take the right precautions, just like you would if you were traveling solo anywhere else. Be confident in your surroundings. Ask for a room close to the main building. This will avoid a long walk to your room at night. Make sure you keep your door double locked at all times. Be aware of people lingering near your room. Never open the door, unless you know who it is or you know that person is coming. If you are unsure if it is a CM, ask them their name and then call the front desk to verify. Never carry along alot of money or credit cards. Keep things light. Store all valuables in the room safe. Don't take lot of cash or credit cards. Less you take with you, less that could get lost of stolen. Don't bring alot of jewelery. This is WDW, not Beverly Hills. Again, less to lose. Going solo is an absolute blast. Although I have enjoyed going with family, I equally enjoy going alone. My mother also does not like me going solo, but she has gotten used to it. I am very independent and have no problem travelling or dining solo. When dining solo, bring a book to read or a notebook/diary, to recall the days events. This will help pass the time. You will get from some CM's the phrases, you're here all alone, You don't mind dining alone or don't you think you'll be lonely??? I answer with all confidence "Yup, Nope, Nope." I could go on for sometime. Drop me a line if you want to discuss further. :earsgirl: :earsboy: :jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter