10 days only carryons?

Stitch'sGlitch

Meega, nala kwishta!
Has anyone ever attempted to do a 10 day trip using only carryons? It will be two adults, each with a hiking backpack smaller than JetBlues carry on restrictions. We will also have our personal bag which we are going to put a set of clothes in and swim stuff. We are hoping to get in before one and want to hit the pool when we get there. I think that we are going to try the ziploc technique and we are also bringing a duffel to throw dirty clothes in and check on the way back.

Any hints or tips would be appreciated! I guess I am just nervous that we are not going to be able to pull it off.:scared:

That'll be tough. Feb after 911 we attempted to go to Key West for 10 days with our then two kids with just one large rolling suitcase and one carryone (for kid stuff). We were able to use a guest washer and dryer at our hotel which helped big time. What hotel are you staying at? Try calling them and see what there clothes washing services are.

I think you could manage if you have laundry facilities available. We took 6 of us last july and everybody took a small carry on and a checked bag- 3 teenage girls ;), 2 parents, and one grandmother. We could have stayed 6 months with the amount of clothing those girls packed but for the 10 days we were there they actually wore: swimsuit, pjs, 1 nice outfit for CRT dinner, and the same 3 pair of cotton shorts and tank tops. With 6 of us, about every third day necessitated laundry. Thus, their favorite outfits were clean again.

WOW!! I wish DF and I could pack like that!! We are each checking two bags - DF a rolling duffel & small suitcase and me a large suitcase & a small suitcase. Plus we are each bringing a carry-on and a personal bag each :lmao:

Yeah we are going to do a dry run before we go to see if it works. There are laundrey facilities at our hotel (we are staying at the BCV). I don't know if we could do it on southwest or some of the other airlines the carry-on restrictions are a lot tighter. We are going to use our grocery stop to pick up shampoo, conditioner, etc...

Sparkie I know what you mean my DW is a compulsive overpacker so I am going to be packing her bag :lmao: We are planning on bringing as little as possible...if I have anything to do with it and are wearing the cool weather clothes on the plane.

This may be harder than I first thought...

May I ask if you're using ME? Is there a need to only use carry-ons? I prefer to pack a variety of clothes, since i'm going for 9 days in 9 days, and January whether can be fickle. I'm bring a large suitcase, and my backpack as a carry-on along with my laptop bag.

I haven't checked bags when I travel for the past 10 years. Last August, I did a 7-day trip to WDW with only a backpack and carry-on.

The single most useful tip I have is to consider using travel underwear -- not the single-use disposable kind, but the kind that you can wash in the sink each night that will dry quickly. I only travel with two sets, one to wear while the other one dries. Ditto with socks, except that I travel with four pairs, since I blister quickly once my socks get wet or sweaty, so I often change them midday.

Good luck!

-- Dave

I would recommend bringing shampoo bars, bars of soap and lotion bars to get passed the liquids restriction for carry ons. It's what I do every time I travel. But then again I use a lot more shampoo when I use liquid compared to the shampoo bar. Just a thought! I hope you can pull off the carry on only for 10 days :)

Has anyone ever attempted to do a 10 day trip using only carryons? It will be two adults, each with a hiking backpack smaller than JetBlues carry on restrictions. We will also have our personal bag which we are going to put a set of clothes in and swim stuff. We are hoping to get in before one and want to hit the pool when we get there. I think that we are going to try the ziploc technique and we are also bringing a duffel to throw dirty clothes in and check on the way back.

Any hints or tips would be appreciated! I guess I am just nervous that we are not going to be able to pull it off.:scared:

I have been strategizing on how to do 10 days with only a carry on. This is what I have come up with: to wear on plane: my patagonia shell jacket, toque can be folded into 1 pocket of jacket, mini gloves in other pocket(I am coming from Canadian winter:) quick dry fabric slacks, hoodie,t-shirt, new balance sneakers. Then in carryon I would have 2 tshirts, 2 tanks, 2 shorts(fast dry fabric), 30ml liquid laundry soap in travel size shampoo bottle. When I went in 2006 we had laundry facilities that I never used because it was more convenient to hand wash in room in sink and there was clothesline in bathroom at Music. They provided shampoo and soap but I would bring mini toothpaste and small sunblock. We went mid Feb and it was the coldest Disney had been in 35 years so I ended up wearing all layers, gloves, toque to park at night and one day to Epcot. One luxury that I would have liked but did not pack was a thick terry robe for poolside but I can live without, just take lots of towels from room down with you :), a dollar store rain poncho came in handy at Kali river rapids since it was cold and we would have been cold and soaked otherwise at the beginning of the day there. Please let me know how you manage and any tips would be appreciated! Have a great trip!:santa:

it can be done!! We've done 9 days with carryon. We had to do laundry, and planned no special dining events (too many one time only clothes/shoes.) A couple of t shirts, some pants/shorts, a bathing suit, sandals and limited toiletries. Wear your heaviest clothes/shoes on the trip down.

Have fun!

Pack to mix and match. Every piece should go with another piece. If it only goes with one piece--don't bring it.

If you are staying at the BCV can you get soap and shampooo from BC desk services? A lot of hotels carry "necessities" for guests who forget--toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.

As another poster stated--dress in layers for the trip.

How about shipping a box of stuff to the resort to be waiting for you? I've done it in reverse--shipped dirty laundry home so I could just walk onto the plane :)

Another hint, if you're going to try not checking any luggage, what about using those "space saver" bags-they come in travel sizes and you can get them at Wal-mart. You don't need a vacuum hose to get the air out of the travel bags, either. Just fill them to the marked line, they roll them up to get the air out of the bag. They do work, I've used them when I travel on vacation.

natcat I know what you mean about coming from a cold place. We will be coming from Denver at the end of October, we are wearing jeans, t-shirt, sweatshirt, and probably soft shells. Our rain coats are the small hiking ones so they shouldn't take to much room. I am hoping it won't be to cold down there.

I will order some of those travel underwear, I don't mind wearing shorts more than one day, but other things...

My DW saw those shampoo bars and ordered a couple so we could see how we liked them. Do you like them as much as liquid or do they leave your hair greasy?

We looked at the spacesaver travel bags, but have heard that big ziplocs work just as well. Does anyone know if this is true?

We also are taking a town car from the airport so that we can have a grocery stop. I am addicted to Caffine and don't know what I would do without it for the week.

Thankyou all for your advice we appreciate it! Anymore is more than welcome!:thumbsup2

we've never used ziplocs,we roll our clothes,and it's amazing how much can fit!
we come from the NE,next we will wear,pants,sneakers,t-shirts,long sleeve shirts,and a light jacket,warm hat and stretch gloves
(layering!:thumbsup2)
we each bring 2 t's,2 l. sleeves,3 pr socks,3 pr underwear,2 pants,2 shorts,etc...do laundry every few days,no big deal,and we don't wear more than that anyway- this is 2 adults 2 kids
we order from garden grocer for water,shampoo,etc
I had a small suitcase for each of us,but now am thinking we could carry them on instead of checking....hmmmm-
we were going to use ME with tags, but not checking is better than checking,right? tell me why again?

It's do-able, if you're both willing to wear the same clothes pretty frequently.

We go on 2 week rides with two backpacks, and a set of small saddlebags (holds the same amount as one carry-on). This is all our 'street' clothes, plus all the cold weather gear - think really cold weather - polar fleece, electric vests, etc.

The thing is, we bring enough underwear for 1 week, one pair of jeans, one pair of shorts, 2 t's, one long sleeve shirt. Our polar fleece liners double as sweatshirts. Our pj's are the shorts and one of the t's. In other words, we spend the whole week in the same jeans and tee shirt.

Shoes are the tough part they're heavy and take up lots of space - we have water shoes with decent soles.

Would I do it for a 'regular' vacation? Nope. And I'm a very low maintenance gal!

Unless there's a really pressing reason to just do carry on, there's so many good things about checking luggage. For one thing, you're not wrestling it on and off the plane, and only dragging it through the airport a short way.

It just seems to be less hassle to check luggage than not for a 10 day trip.

Now, if we're talking 5 days? Heck ya!

Be careful. 3 of us went in Oct and took 1 carry on luggage and 2 backpacks and checked 1 luggage. On the way home I wanted to check the 2 luggages and carry on the 2 backpacks but they (at ASMo) would not let me. I could only check the same amount of luggage as I went down there with.
I would call and make sure of their policy.
I still had a magical time.

I am not particularly high maintenance, and I have done three weeks in Scotland with carryon only. Choose mix and match pieces - make sure all tops go with all bottoms. I took undies and socks for a week and used local laundrettes twice. I wore the bulkiest pair of shoes I took on the plane and packed sandals. I rolled everything - of course nothing required ironing ! My biggest tip is to get out your bags and the items you wish to bring and practice packing. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but it helps to give you an idea of what will really fit. Don't forget to use deadspace in your luggage. What I mean by that is make sure you stuff socks or whatnot into your shoes. I love to travel and I think that any inconvenience caused by doing a couple loads of laundry during my trip is negated by being able to deplane and head out of the airport without having to wait for ages for my bags to come down the carousel.

I did 10 days in Italy with a 20-inch carry-on! Lots of black; material that doesn't wrinkle; who cares if you wear the same thing twice???
Use the resort toiletries, even if they aren't of the quality you would use at home; one or two good COMFY pairs of shoes. It CAN be done.

That is good to hear that others can do it. The reason that we are choosing to do carry-ons over checked is that it is so much easier upon arrival. No luggage is not lost as often, but there is always that risk, which with carry-ons can be completly eliminated. Secondly, I like being able to get off the plane and get my trip started. I don't want to have to wait another 30 minutes before I can leave the airport. For us it is about the convience of Carryons, I see checking baggage as much more of a pain. We print our tickets the night before and do not have to go to the ticket counter to check baggage. Everything that we are packing matches thanks for that tip. We are planning on packing practice a month before we go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter