• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

10 Days of Dining at Disneyland and Southern Cali with Pictures!

You're really twisting my arm here! :lovestruc Sounds like we are just going to have to give it a try. Somehow I was under the impression they just start bringing out courses. Do you actually order each course individually, or are they all lumped together in a Dinner #1 or Dinner #2 or Dinner #3 sort of way? Have you gotten the notion that they would mind subbing an item here or there? I was always under the impression that very fine dining establishments wouldn't want to deal with, "Can you minus the bacon from that scallop?" :confused3

I can comment on this. I don't like Salmon (like your DP). I have tried. I really want to like it, but I have tried, the only salmon I like is smoked in a dip that we got the recipe for on an Alaskan cruise. Other than that it is just too fishy.

When we went to V&A's with my parents in Jan 2010 the entire amuse bouche was about salmon. They made mine without the salmon

Sorry the one with the salmon is so small, but you can see that they modified the plate to give me almost the same experience, just minus the salmon.

They will make sure that you enjoy the entire experience regardless of what you eat. Your menu will be customized to your preferences so that for each course you will have choices from the fish options of the regular menu and the options on the vegetarian menu. You will still have choices on the five courses, just none with meat options.

Looking at my menu right now....You will be given a menu with all the choices and are asked to choose every course at the beginning of the evening. I overheard another table who had allergies and their menu had been customized to remove the choices that were not compatible with their allergies. She was able to sub in choices from the vegetarian menu as well as the regular menu. I can't speak for leaving one component off the plate...I would assume if you inform them about your preferences ahead of time you won't be in the position to have to do that.

HTH a bit.

Jill in CO

When we sat at the chef's table I remember that they didn't put peas on one of my dishes because I don't like them, but they put them on Fran's. They pay that much attention to detail. It's just awesome!

Thanks so much to you both for your help and tips! We are going to eat there one of these days...fingers crossed for October! :)

Great reviews, nice to see a DL food report.
I'm a big fan of seafood, so loved the look of your meals :thumbsup2

For dinner, we tried a restaurant we have always wanted to taste, Gandhi Palace on the corner of Harbor and Katella. You can walk here from basically any of the hotels on Harbor Blvd, and the restaurant is in the Ramada hotel right there on Katella.

copyindianrest_zps3d633ce7.jpg

I'm so happy I stumbled across your review! DL is my "home" park and I've noticed this restaurant several times but never seem to make it over (plus, very few of my travel buddies like Indian food - what is up with that:confused3:confused3.) I'm definitely putting this place on my list ('fess up, we all have a list.:rotfl:.)

I'm so happy I stumbled across your review! DL is my "home" park and I've noticed this restaurant several times but never seem to make it over (plus, very few of my travel buddies like Indian food - what is up with that:confused3:confused3.) I'm definitely putting this place on my list ('fess up, we all have a list.:rotfl:.)

I'm so happy you found this review and that it is useful for you. DP and I were both like, "No one cares about the Indian food review..." but I guess we were wrong. I'm looking forward to trying the lunch buffet at this place. We'll be in So Cal in a few weeks, and I think we just might work it into our plans. Personally, I like to have lots of tastes when I eat Indian, rather than just one dish. :hyper:

On another note, where do you live in Northern Cali? My sister lives up in San Jose. It's a wonder to me that she hasn't been down to Disneyland more, since it is our family's favorite park and something we did so often when we were kids.

The next day, we were up early and decided to take the ferry over to Coronado Island to enjoy the beach and ooh and aah at the hotel.

We purchased tickets and waited at the ferry landing.

In just a few minutes, we arrived and stepped off the ferry boat. There are quite a few fast food restaurants and shops right at the ferry landing. We stopped at information to ask the best walking route to the hotel, and after receiving instructions, we set out. Let me say, this is a long walk. Thankfully we'd asked which route would take us past some eateries.

By the time we spotted the Coronado Brewery, we'd already been walking quite a while. We decided we needed a break from the sun, so we chose to eat here. We were very glad we did.

We thoroughly enjoyed this day and our meal at the Coronado Brewing Company. We would definitely repeat that meal. I will say, it was quite a walk from the ferry landing to the hotel, all together 45-50 minutes each way, and that was at a brisk pace. I probably wouldn't do that again. Next time, I'd drive and park near the beach, or I'd take the local bus from the ferry landing to the hotel. Who knows, maybe next time we'll be staying on the island! :flower3:

I'm very late to this party but I'm really enjoying your reviews. Hubby and I are visiting DL for the first time end of Nov/beg of Dec this year and you have confirmed some of our food choices in my mind :)

A co-worker and I had some training in San Diego this summer and we spent a day in that beautiful city too.......like you and your DP we took the ferry over to Coronado and walked to the del Coronado from ferry landing.......egads.......that WAS a long walk for sure! I just followed the map and it seemed to be a direct route but it was late afternoon when we arrived.....and by the time we had to get back to the mainland it was pitch black and we had to catch the last ferry....we made it with similar timing as you mentioned......gorgeous hotel! We ate at Sheerwater and sat outside......I definitely hope to stay here one day as well.......I suppose I'll have to sell a kidney, though. :laughing:

Anyway, as soon as I finish this food report I'll be signing in on your August report :woohoo:

We returned to DL in October to meet up with my DM and Dsis for a little family fun. We did not take food pics on this trip, except for our last breakfast at Carnation Cafe. It was just DP, DM and me; my sis had already left us by this time.

My mom chose the ham and cheese omelette, served with breakfast potatoes and fruit (grapes). She was ready to dive in and I almost had to smack her hand to stop her while I snapped this quick photo. (She had never seen people take pics of their food before this.)

DP decided to branch out and ordered the spinach and tomato egg white frittata, served with cafe breakfast potatoes and grapes.
Look at DP waiting patiently in the background. She knows the rules!!! :)
She thought this was good, but decided the huevos rancheros here are better. I tasted this and I agree; it was ok. No need to order this with the huevos on the menu! :rotfl2:

This made me :rotfl2: I take pictures of food all the time......sometimes even while we are eating out here at home.......dh knows the rules too ;)

Looking forward to the trip especially on a day like today! Lots of signatures this trip culminating in V&A on the last night. JIll in CO

We went to WDW LAST December (2012) and upgraded to Deluxe Dining (since the regular dining plan was free it wasn't too bad to do the upgrade so we could do some signature dining).....but I know V&A isn't on the DP. One of these days we will attend....but dh would have to dress decently and he isn't too keen on that while we are on vacation.....

Maybe some day I will work my way up to V&A. I will probably start with California Grill or Flying Fish and go from there. This trip, we thought we'd fit in Flying Fish but we just don't seem to have the open dinner spot. It's hard with so much to do! We are tentatively hoping for a MK resort stay in October, and if that happens, we might just have to try the California Grill while we are there! :scratchin

We were fortunate enough to be able to dine at CG last December....and luckily we were there before they closed for refurbishment! It was one of my favorite meals.....we timed it with Wishes so after our appetizer we went out to the rooftop to watch the fireworks......so magical! I hope you get the chance to do it soon!

Actually, during our february trip to DL, we tried the bumblebee cupcake from Hungry Bear for the first time. It was so delicious! I'd like that, plus a sandwich. :rotfl:

As a matter of fact, here it is!

Oh boy.......I'm a sucker for a good cupcake. This looks heavenly! :cloud9:

I'm very late to this party but I'm really enjoying your reviews. Hubby and I are visiting DL for the first time end of Nov/beg of Dec this year and you have confirmed some of our food choices in my mind :)

A co-worker and I had some training in San Diego this summer and we spent a day in that beautiful city too.......like you and your DP we took the ferry over to Coronado and walked to the del Coronado from ferry landing.......egads.......that WAS a long walk for sure! I just followed the map and it seemed to be a direct route but it was late afternoon when we arrived.....and by the time we had to get back to the mainland it was pitch black and we had to catch the last ferry....we made it with similar timing as you mentioned......gorgeous hotel! We ate at Sheerwater and sat outside......I definitely hope to stay here one day as well.......I suppose I'll have to sell a kidney, though. :laughing:

Anyway, as soon as I finish this food report I'll be signing in on your August report :woohoo:

Great to have you! You've made a fashionably late entrance here! I'm glad it wasn't just us making a big fuss about that distance from the ferry to the hotel! My legs get tired just thinking about it. :crazy2:

This made me :rotfl2: I take pictures of food all the time......sometimes even while we are eating out here at home.......dh knows the rules too ;)

We were fortunate enough to be able to dine at CG last December....and luckily we were there before they closed for refurbishment! It was one of my favorite meals.....we timed it with Wishes so after our appetizer we went out to the rooftop to watch the fireworks......so magical! I hope you get the chance to do it soon!

Oh boy.......I'm a sucker for a good cupcake. This looks heavenly! :cloud9:

That cupcake is delicious! Matter of fact I was eating one about two weeks ago, and it is still as good as I remembered it! Yum Yum!

Maybe someday we will go to CG...now that it's reopened, and we have juggled our dates around a little bit...no October trip :sad1: but maybe a longer January trip...means maybe a night for CG! :woohoo:

I can hope!

Glad you've enjoyed this review!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter