10 days in a cat 11?

itutorfortravel

I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addi
Anyone here ever done this with 3 people (2 adults and a 9 year old)? Just wondering how it was for so long?

I've got a sideways cat 11 on deck 6 on hold for the Mex Riv cruise next year and need to decide today.

We sailed on the Magic over Christmas and had a cat 6 and cat 11 on deck 6 for 4 of us (3 adults + 1 child), but honestly hardly used the cat 11 except as an extra shower and storage area, so I can't say how we would have liked it as our accomodations for a week.

This time only 3 (again, 2 adults + 1 child) of us are going, so we only need one cabin.

I hear the sideways layout is roomier, but is it a lot roomier? Or should I spend the extra $2,000 for a verandah? I know I could get a window for a price in between, but if I'm not doing inside I would probably do verandah.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance!

We opts for a Cat. 11 on the Magic as the verandahs were insanely priced on our sailing; we will be in a verandah cabin on the Wonder, though.

You will do fine, although you may miss the verandah. We had 3 also (a 3 year old and two adults) and there was plenty of room, yet my DW thought it was a little cramped after 7 days. bAnd while we had a regular Cat 11, I agree that the sideways cabins look bigger and I liked the layout more.

We've done everything from a 90 sqft inside cabin to the largest suite on the ship. What we've found is that you just use the cabin differently. We ate more in our cabin and lounged when we had the suite, and we enjoyed the ship's activities and pools more when we had an inside cabin, which you'll probably end up doing anyways with your 3 year old.

Don't worry; the cabin will be fine.

I've done 14 nights in a cat 10 and 7 nights in one of the sideways 11s. As above, you'll do things differently. When I've had a balcony, I'll order room service and enjoy my book on my balcony. When I have an inside cabin I'll take the book to deck 4 or to the Cove Cafe. The cat 11 is plenty big enough, and the sideways layout feels larger even though it is supposedly the same size as a regular 11 or 12. Remember that cabins on DCL are 1/3 to 1/2 larger than some other lines/10 year old ships!

I'd grab it; enjoy the price, and have a great trip!

We just did two 5N cruises back-to-back in 6003, a sideways cat 11. We were 2 adults and our DD age 8.

I liked it a lot. Definitely roomier than a normal inside cabin. The only thing lacking was some storage but we had a steamer trunk which helped. There aren't as many drawers in the desk so if you need a lot of storage space this may be a problem.

We don't use the room that much. As was mentioned we ended up going to deck 4 or deck 9 if we just wanted to sit and read or watch us go in and out of port.

We have booked another cat 11 sideways for the 14N transatlantic.

Jim

No personal experience with the cat 11 but we just switched from a cat 10 to a veranda for the same reason. I felt like 10 days was a long time to not have that open space. Plus, for me I wanted to feel like I was on the boat and be able to smell and hear the water even when we were in our room. I agree with others, you will use your room the room you have differently depending on what kind you have. We had a room with porthole when we sailed 10 yrs ago and I couldn't stand being in there, it still felt too cramped for me. I need the air so the price difference was worth it for us.

Good luck! :thumbsup2

Thank you everyone for the input! I'd love the verandah but not the extra expense :)

Owensjro, were you on the Magic the week of Christmas? I'm thinking you were in our meet thread but I don't think we ever had the chance to meet in person...my DD is also 8 years old and I sure wish we could have met you and your DD...we are from NC too!

You'll be fine...if your like us your never in the room except to sleep and change anyway. :thumbsup2 Spend the extra in th spa or on port adventures. :woohoo:

Thank you everyone for the input! I'd love the verandah but not the extra expense :)

Owensjro, were you on the Magic the week of Christmas? I'm thinking you were in our meet thread but I don't think we ever had the chance to meet in person...my DD is also 8 years old and I sure wish we could have met you and your DD...we are from NC too!

Yes - we were on the Christmas Magic cruise last year! It was a lot of fun! But I'll tell you - even with having to disembark and re-embark between cruises, 10 nights is better than even 7 over Christmas! :rotfl: I think from now on we'll look at longer non-holiday itineraries for half the price. :)

Yes - we were on the Christmas Magic cruise last year! It was a lot of fun! But I'll tell you - even with having to disembark and re-embark between cruises, 10 nights is better than even 7 over Christmas! :rotfl: I think from now on we'll look at longer non-holiday itineraries for half the price. :)

How do you do it with your DD and missing school? Or do you homeschool? I am soooo excited about 10 nights on the Wonder but I have to say I am a little apprehensive since she'll be missing the first few days of EOG review!

How do you do it with your DD and missing school? Or do you homeschool? I am soooo excited about 10 nights on the Wonder but I have to say I am a little apprehensive since she'll be missing the first few days of EOG review!

She goes to a catholic school so it's a bit easier than taking her out of a public school. For the TA next year it's the last two weeks of school so we figure she won't be missing anything. I just hope there is no problem with that number of days. ;)

Jim

I did 14 nights in a sideways 11, but it was only me and my mother. While the s/f is the same, the layout allows for more floor space. I have the same room booked on the Wonder on 2 cruises next year, I absolutely loved it.

I have some pictures if you would like, I can post them.

I just did 3 nights in a cat 10, and I HATED it. Hated the tiny split bath, hated the bed first, not a lot of room to walk to the couch, etc. I am cheap, and it was a free upgrade, but I have learned my lesson, Book my favorite room or at least a sideways 11.

sidewaysbed.jpg

sidewayscloset.jpg

sidewaysentry.jpg

Image146.jpg

In the first picture, the large blue faced box is the "steamer trunk". The door is directly across from the little table.

We just did the EBTA and spent 14 days in a catergory 10. It was fine and dark (lots of good sleep at night)! We are doing the same for the PC cruise in January. Save the money and use it in other ways!

We just did the Mexican Riviera cruise thru another cruise line over Easter break and we had an inside room for 4 of us. While I totally missed having a balcony, there are many public places you can go.

Being from the East coast we never managed to switch to the time change. So, at dinner we were practically fallign asleep. We headed to bed right after dinner, but this allowed us to get an early start in the mornigng. We would eat breakfast and park our butts out in front of the pool for a few hours and we always were the first ones there. (and yes we were actually sitting there) The other positive was it was so dark, even though we were still on "east coast time" in our heads, the room allowed us to have a better nights sleep. I was sad we missed the shows. We only made it to one, but it wasn't as good as any of the Disney shows anyway.
Jess

Verandah staterooms are not much bigger aside from the square footage you get outside. The sideways cabins are fine. You won't be in the room all that much except while you are sleeping or getting ready for dinner.

Save the money you would spend on the verandah upgrade and use it for a down payment for your next cruise while you're on board. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter