10/17/2010 Wonder Cruise

I am getting so excited. DD Jessica and I have been working on FE gifts this afternoon. We booked Cat12 GTY. Anybody have a guess when we will be assigned a cabin number?

We have been assigned our staterooom # when gty as early as a few days after making the ressie, all the way up until time of sailing. On our recent cruise, they assigned out stateroom pretty quick, but then changed it about 20 days out from sailing. It used to be that DCL gave you the stateroom assignment when getting to the port. Have you checked your ressie online lately?...I would bet by the 45 day mark you will have your stateroom number. May be they are waiting to see how other categories sell...you might just get an upgrade.

Have a great cruise. Say hi to my BFF Missy when you see her onboard or on DISboards (melnel).

We have been assigned our staterooom # when gty as early as a few days after making the ressie, all the way up until time of sailing. On our recent cruise, they assigned out stateroom pretty quick, but then changed it about 20 days out from sailing. It used to be that DCL gave you the stateroom assignment when getting to the port. Have you checked your ressie online lately?...I would bet by the 45 day mark you will have your stateroom number. May be they are waiting to see how other categories sell...you might just get an upgrade.

Have a great cruise. Say hi to my BFF Missy when you see her onboard or on DISboards (melnel).

I hope they don't change ours 20 days out. If they do, do they offer an upgrade or something? Selena got us one of the sideways room (before we even knew there was a sideway room). I've looked in a cabin review thread and there's even pictures of our room. We're super excited now, but I'd hate that 20 days out, we get bumped down.

MarcA, GTY stand for guaranteed cabin. What it means is you book at a level like at a category 12 and say you will accept whatever cabin Disney assigns you. Your reservation does not show a cabin number only GTY. Frequently, Disney will upgrade you to a higher class cabin. On our first crusie in 2003, we booked 3 GTY class 11 cabins and ten days before sailing were assigned cabins numbers that were all class 9. And you only pay the price of the GTY level. However, not everyone gets upgraded and sometimes the upgrade is to a noisy cabin or one that has some other draw back. The bottom line is it is a great thing if you will be happy getting the class cabin you actually booked.

MarcA, GTY stand for guaranteed cabin. What it means is you book at a level like at a category 12 and say you will accept whatever cabin Disney assigns you. Your reservation does not show a cabin number only GTY. Frequently, Disney will upgrade you to a higher class cabin. On our first crusie in 2003, we booked 3 GTY class 11 cabins and ten days before sailing were assigned cabins numbers that were all class 9. And you only pay the price of the GTY level. However, not everyone gets upgraded and sometimes the upgrade is to a noisy cabin or one that has some other draw back. The bottom line is it is a great thing if you will be happy getting the class cabin you actually booked.

Thanks for the info. I thought that guaranteed was what it stood for but wanted to be sure. Our cruise is GTY thru a DVC add on incentive.
I cant wait for it to get here.

:thumbsup2

I am so excited! My husband, 2 friends, and I will be on this cruise. This is our first cruise. We have reservations for Palos. Is it better to do that or just go with the flow to the other restaurants? I heard all the food is great. What are some of the things to do onboard the ship?

Hopefully, we will meet a lot of great people on the ship. Disney people are the best.

My husbands birthday is 10-17-10. We will be on the ship for our first cruise on the 17th. Does anyone have any good ideas that I can do for his birthday? This is our first cruise..Thanks

Hello All!!

We have just switched our cruise from Oct. 30 to this one!

A big thing that is going on is that our son will be turning 6 on Oct 17!!!!!!!!!!! We're so excited to be having his b-day on the ship. :)

There are 2 adults + our son in our party.
We are staying in a Cat 4.

I've done the FE on a prior cruise. What I brought were Moon Pies for the adults and chocolates for the kids. Moon Pies are pretty popular here in NC and figured I could give everyone a "taste from home."

We're really excited about going on this cruise!!!

This is too funny! We are from NC and my husbands Birthday is on the 17th. We were going to go on the 30th but could not take off from work. What part of NC are you from?

I am so excited! My husband, 2 friends, and I will be on this cruise. This is our first cruise. We have reservations for Palos. Is it better to do that or just go with the flow to the other restaurants? I heard all the food is great. What are some of the things to do onboard the ship?

Hopefully, we will meet a lot of great people on the ship. Disney people are the best.

In my opinion I think you should skip Palo dinner for two reasons. First: it is your first cruise and you should miss the happening in the main dinning rooms. Second: having done dinner there, I really did not find it all that better than the main dinning rooms. Better yes, worth missing the fun of my servers and main dinning room, no. If you want to go to Palo, see about getting a brunch. In my opinion it is way better than dinner. Just so you know my opinion is in the minority.

In my opinion I think you should skip Palo dinner for two reasons. First: it is your first cruise and you should miss the happening in the main dinning rooms. Second: having done dinner there, I really did not find it all that better than the main dinning rooms. Better yes, worth missing the fun of my servers and main dinning room, no. If you want to go to Palo, see about getting a brunch. In my opinion it is way better than dinner. Just so you know my opinion is in the minority.

I'm sorry and no offense, but I have to completely disagree. This is our first cruise as well and we want to take in as much as Disney has to offer. And from my reading of these threads on the board, Palo is apart of the adventure. We plan of staying as a family for most of the cruise, and Palo would be mine and DW's away from the DD for an hour or so. You have to remember the first time you went on Disney cruise. It seems, when reading veterans posts on this board, that after soo many Disney cruises, they critique things more closely, because they been there, done that. Some of us have not, and we're looking forward to a little fancyness and a little bit adults away from the kid time, even if it's for an hour.

I'm sorry and no offense, but I have to completely disagree. This is our first cruise as well and we want to take in as much as Disney has to offer. And from my reading of these threads on the board, Palo is apart of the adventure. We plan of staying as a family for most of the cruise, and Palo would be mine and DW's away from the DD for an hour or so. You have to remember the first time you went on Disney cruise. It seems, when reading veterans posts on this board, that after soo many Disney cruises, they critique things more closely, because they been there, done that. Some of us have not, and we're looking forward to a little fancyness and a little bit adults away from the kid time, even if it's for an hour.

I did have the dinner my first Disney cruise and I have regreted it to this day. I did just as you are planing and wish I hadn't. The poster of my reply was looking for opinions and nothing else. I offered mine and even pointed out it is the minority. So yes I am a little upset by your reply but I will get over it.

Just checking in to say hi. We are also on this cruise.

As far as we are concerned Palo is a not to be missed experience. We did brunch, high tea, and dinner on our first cruise and loved each one for very different reasons. The only thing we say is make sure you ask for a window table and offer to wait until one becomes available. The CM will do everything they can to make sure you get a window table and it is worth the wait. Some people book Palo according to their dining schedule. If early dining, book late Palo and if late dining, book early Palo. That way they can go to rotational dining with their kids and have either a light appetizer or light dessert and still enjoy family time and alone time at Palo. Enjoy every dining experience you can, dress up for the pirate party, dance with your kids, help them fight off the pirates and keep your eyes on the sky for Pirate Mickey and the fireworks!:tinker::tinker::tinker::tinker: Lots of pixie dust for a magical cruise.

BTW our first cruise was a 7 day so no high tea for us on this one. Need more days to do it all. If you do a 7 day don't miss the character breakfast. Great fun and lots of photo ops. with Mickey and his friends.

We got our Fish Extender in the mail today! :cool1: It turned out so cute! We ordered it on ebay as I knew I wouldn't have time to get one made! Now I just have to finish up my gifts!!

I am a big Palo fan! I love both the brunch and the dinner. But I think it is hard to decide what to do on a 4 night cruise. I might suggest doing the brunch--then you don't have to miss any of the rotational dinners. Or, sometimes I schedule a late dinner at Palo and still go to my regular dinner!! I eat an appetizer or something small with my kids. Then, I go to Palo for my real dinner!!! My experience has been that Palo is a big step up from the main dining rooms (and the main dining rooms are good!!!!). But Palo is just better in my opinion!

All that said, I don't think Palo will make or break your cruise. There are many wonderful experiences on this vacation and there is just no way to do them all. So, I just say do what you can and ENJOY! Save the rest for another cruise!!! :goodvibes

We got our Fish Extender in the mail today! :cool1: It turned out so cute! We ordered it on ebay as I knew I wouldn't have time to get one made! Now I just have to finish up my gifts!!

I am a big Palo fan! I love both the brunch and the dinner. But I think it is hard to decide what to do on a 4 night cruise. I might suggest doing the brunch--then you don't have to miss any of the rotational dinners. Or, sometimes I schedule a late dinner at Palo and still go to my regular dinner!! I eat an appetizer or something small with my kids. Then, I go to Palo for my real dinner!!! My experience has been that Palo is a big step up from the main dining rooms (and the main dining rooms are good!!!!). But Palo is just better in my opinion!

All that said, I don't think Palo will make or break your cruise. There are many wonderful experiences on this vacation and there is just no way to do them all. So, I just say do what you can and ENJOY! Save the rest for another cruise!!! :goodvibes

I completely agree with you coments. Maybe because I echo you. I agree have brunch. Also I noticed they are doing doing tea. The only reason we are not going is because it is on the same day as brunch as there is only one sea day.

That's a fantastic idea. Selena, I er DW booked a late Palo for us. I didn't think of doing apps w/DD before hand. That might work out great, because we do want to spend alot of family time this first time out.

A couple people have asked me about a DIS meet up for our sailing. I'm wondering if people are interested in this? I would like to at least set up a quick meeting time on boarding day so we can update the FE (in case people have last minute stateroom changes or get an upgrade, etc). I would like to suggest 3:00 in the Promenade Lounge on day of embarkation. It would just be a quick meeting to say hello to everyone and to give out the final FE list. Please let me know what you think about that....!

Hi All! I'm one of those folks who booked a Cat. 12 GTY. Since we've finally reached the 45 day mark, I'm seeing a room assignment today. The DisneyCruiseLine.com site says "Standard Inside Stateroom Category 12" and then gives a stateroom number. The stateroom given is a Cat. 9- so I'm getting mixed messages but I *think* we've been given an upgrade.:banana:

Is anyone staying in the Cape Canaveral area the night before the cruise departs? I just booked a room through Priceline and got a pretty good deal.

Very excited about our Fish Extender group!

Sounds good to me!

Received our cabin assignment today. Booked Cat12 gty and assigned Cat9 #2540. So happy with the upgrade!

Oh, and lornak I'd be interested in the day of sailing meet up.

lds0191- We're right down the hall in #2602.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter