1 Year Olds?

nataliejane05

Magic Mummy
is it hard work takin a 1 year old to WDW??is there much for them to do? any rides they can go on??

Can only reply from a european perspective as we took my son to Disneyland Paris when he was 13 months. He had a ball! He LOVED Its a small world, snow white, and most of the fantasyland rides and he enjoyed the parades. Before we went I made sure he was familar with Mickey and Minnie and he was so excited to meet them!

As long as you go with the correct expectations- it can be so much fun. YOu have to really be willing to go with the flow and follow your kids cues. SOme are afraid of characters and those character meals you booked could be torture. Others love them.... you get the point. You can take them on lots of rides- and at that age they really don't have the fear older toddlers will have about the dark, etc so You can actually do a whole lot more (haunted mnasions, potc, etc). My kids always loved small world, pooh, the train, things like that.

My son was 15 months on our first trip and he LOVED the whole thing!!! :wizard:

We were prepared for him (and my then-3 1/2 YO) to be terrified of the characters, but they both absolutely adored them. We took a sling (that we borrowed) for the baby and every time we got on a ride, he went in the sling. He slept there a bunch, too (Haunted Mansion).

We dined mostly at buffets and all-you-can- eat places because there was a huge variety of food and they had no problem bringing him a plate and a drink. I can't remember if we were charged for his milk or not, but if we were, it was no big deal. All the food was free. Well, not free, we had to dine there, too, but they didn't charge us for the baby's plate.

Matthew rode every ride that we rode that didn't have a height restriction. He loved Dumbo, Pirates, TTA, Kili Safari, Maelstrom, the Mexico ride (I can't remember it's new name), Great Movie Ride. Whatever! We parent swapped a bunch, too. There's always something for little ones to do near the big rides. It was a great trip and really pretty easy.

Have a great trip!

--H

We just got back with our 20mo and he loved it! He was able to go on a number of rides, including IASW, POTC, Nemo at Epcot, Safari etc. His faves were the MK train and TL Transit though, go figure!

He has a weird quirk though in that he cries when in the midst of cheering crowds, so we didn't take him to any shows. I hope he outgrows that before our Nov 2008 trip because I really wanted to see the Nemo stage show and some others. Other kids seemed to love the shows. Every child differs!

I prepared him by watching PlayHouse Disney and Disney movies, so he would be familiar with the characters etc.

Hello. My husband and I are taking our 15 month old twin daughters to WDW in a few days. I can share our experience with you once we return.

We took them when they were only 6 months old and we had a blast. We wore them in the Baby Bjorns the whole time and went on lots of rides with them.

I am really excited to bring them on small world, peter pan, the safari and so much more.

I am sure that we are going to have some tough times but it will be worth it. My girls still nap twince a day so we plan on going with the flow and doing what makes them happy.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Our first rip with our children our then youngest was 2 1/2, now in 08 our youngest will be 18 mo. Planning to ride as much as she will tolerate. And I agree with other posts that they don't have that fear thing yet, unless you make it that way. I think you'll have a great time, pace yourself well, if your child will sleep in the stroller that will work or plan some breaks back at your resort too.

Most likely will love IaSWaA, the Carosel, and the TTA in Tommorrowland, the Nemo ride in Epcot, JC in MK and the train of course, KS, FotLK at AK. There are so many tot play areas now, there will be plenty to do!

Have a wonderful trip!:wizard:

Please be sure to share when you get back!

I also have twin girls and will be in your shoes in a year or so.

cheers for all ur tips im really lookin forward to takin him..we went to haven family park recently and he screamed wen he met the wizard character im guna get him used to the characters and stuff before we go so hell enjoy them :flower3:

We took our daughter at 6 months and then in August at 18 months. Both experiences were different. At 18 months, I too, was worried about breaking her nap schedule. She normally doesn't nap well in her stroller, but at Disney, she did great! She would nap a good 2 hours,while my husband and I would do the child swap passes on the rides she couldn't go on. When she was up, she loved all the Fantasyland rides, a bunch of stuff at Animal Kingdom, and the Nemo ride at Epcot. We took a soft sided cooler and filled it with those small waters. I made sure she drank a bunch of water. I can say she loved the big characters (Mickey, Pooh, etc), but was scared of the Princesses:) - go figure. She also didn't like the fireworks, but loved the lighted parade at MK. Also, not sure if your little one has had thier first haircut, but I had heard that the Barber shop on Main Street gives a "first haircut" certificate and mickey ears if it is. We tried to do for our little girl, but it was closed. It seemed to keep more business hours, like 9:00 to 5:00. Have fun!

We took my son when he was 19 months and he had a blast! He loved the characters and the rides. We went on anything that didn't have a height restriction. He wasn't afraid of any of the dark/scary rides and he napped great in the stroller. Probably the hardest thing was standing in line. We went in Sept when it was pretty hot. I would probably try to go when it was cooler. We used the parent swap some especially while he was napping.

Alison

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter