1 nt enough at AS Sport

LeslieG

DIS Veteran
Spent one night at AS Sport because we were getting in late and didn't want to spend the extra money for WL, which is where we were going to stay the following 3 nts. We had stayed at WL before but never AS Sport.

I have to say I couldn't wait to get out of the place. It's just big and loud and too many high school age kids. Not a relaxing place to be. Not that any kids were rude, but it just was not the atmosphere that I would choose for a relaxing vacation. The food court was like being in a high school cafeteria.

When we got to WL, it was like ahhh, now this is more like it.

Just so people are aware that a lot of school groups book the hotel, and it's definitely a different atmosphere than especially the deluxe hotels.

Yeah, we were at All Star Music for one night (last Friday) and it was the same thing. I love the All Stars, we have now stayed at all three of them and this was the first time we had the "group thing". What a nightmare. Same thing as you, they weren't bad kids, there were just so many of them. Some of the chaperones were way more immature than the kids. I have to say, having stayed at all four values, Pop is really my favorite now. I love the theming at Movies, but Pop is newer, fresher and to my knowledge doesn't get the groups or at least as many of them. Try it sometime, I think you would like it better. In fact we stayed there the first four nights of our trip, then moved to BWV then finished off with one night at ASMU. Pop was very relaxing, wonderful and didn't feel like being at a frat party.

Wow....we've got a night booked at Pop for the same reason, before moving to Beach Club the next day. Hope that one's a little better :worried:

Houston_Disney_Fan said:
Wow....we've got a night booked at Pop for the same reason, before moving to Bach Club the next day. Hope that one's a little better :worried:

Read my above post, it'll make you feel better! We actually kinda missed Pop once we moved over to Boardwalk! Go figure :confused3 !

LOL, thanks. I guess it's best to approach these things with an open mind. At least we'll have some idea where we might want to spend future trips, since we'd like to try all (or most) of Disney's resorts at some point.

We will be staying at AS Sports in 10 days for 6 nights, and I am VERY concerned about the noise level. I have a 4 y.o. and an infant. We're considering upgrading our hotel if the noise level becomes unbearable.

Any last minute advice?

We are also staying at the POP prior to the WL but are really, really looking forward to the POP. This way we can try it out and maybe plan a longer vacation there next time.

Hey Buzz
I would say you shouldnt have any problems with noise, Ive stayed at the all stars many times.
The only noise that bothered us in our room was the cm's with the leaf blowers and my mom was able to request that they not go near our room.

I like the all stars and think they are fun and great for kids, relaxing not so much.
The food court is a lot better than most other resorts in my opinion because they rely on the food court not having a sit down restaurant. My mom and I even drove from the coronado one night to go get yogurt at the all stars because the coronados food court closed at 11pm whille all stars close at midnight.
My mom and I love Sunshine at the food court she is an awesome lady, if she is there you will get really good pizza.

The all stars arent fancy but its a fun place to stay .

LeslieG said:
Spent one night at AS Sport because we were getting in late and didn't want to spend the extra money for WL, which is where we were going to stay the following 3 nts. We had stayed at WL before but never AS Sport.

I have to say I couldn't wait to get out of the place. It's just big and loud and too many high school age kids. Not a relaxing place to be. Not that any kids were rude, but it just was not the atmosphere that I would choose for a relaxing vacation. The food court was like being in a high school cafeteria.

When we got to WL, it was like ahhh, now this is more like it.

Just so people are aware that a lot of school groups book the hotel, and it's definitely a different atmosphere than especially the deluxe hotels.

This is exactly what we do. Stay our first night at a value and move on. They are a nice place to stay, clean, on property but so different from a Deluxe or even a moderate for that matter. For someone on a budget, its great. Both times the beds were awful. Almost like sleeping in a hammock. Very uncomfy. WE heard toliets flush all night long and someones alarm clock going off, conversations next door. I don't think I would want to stay a whole trip there. But....I'm spoiled big time! :)

lovmy2girls said:
This is exactly what we do. Stay our first night at a value and move on. They are a nice place to stay, clean, on property but so different from a Deluxe or even a moderate for that matter. For someone on a budget, its great. Both times the beds were awful. Almost like sleeping in a hammock. Very uncomfy. WE heard toliets flush all night long and someones alarm clock going off, conversations next door. I don't think I would want to stay a whole trip there. But....I'm spoiled big time! :)

So were you planning on the move all along or was this something you guys decided upon spending one night at an All Star? We're wondering how hard/easy it is to upgrade our resort if things go really really bad. We're leaving for AS Sports in 10 days!

Oh, wow, you reminded me about the beds. Terribly uncomfortable. Our backs hurt the next morning.

buzzman88 said:
So were you planning on the move all along or was this something you guys decided upon spending one night at an All Star? We're wondering how hard/easy it is to upgrade our resort if things go really really bad. We're leaving for AS Sports in 10 days!
I wouldn't worry about it. I've traveled with a couple of "those groups" in the last couple of years and it wasn't so bad. No, it's not luxurious, and the kids are thrilled to be there, so very excited, but my experience has been that everyone was so tired from their day in the park that they weren't nearly as rowdy as they could have been. We stayed at Movies in the past; the pool is huge and everyone congregated there. We're leaving for 3 nights at Sports on Saturday. Maybe it will be noisier than Movies, but I'll take that chance. If you're concerned, get in touch with the people at Sports a few weeks/days before you arrive and ask them for something on the quiet side. I'm sure they'll know what's appropriate. Here's the advantage to Sports: some buses stop at Sports, Movies and Music. Sports is the first stop on the way to the parks (empty seats) and the first stop on the way back from the parks (get home sooner). When I was at Movies it always aggravated me that we had to stop for those Sports people on the way home!

chocolate365 said:
I wouldn't worry about it. I've traveled with a couple of "those groups" in the last couple of years and it wasn't so bad. No, it's not luxurious, and the kids are thrilled to be there, so very excited, but my experience has been that everyone was so tired from their day in the park that they weren't nearly as rowdy as they could have been. We stayed at Movies in the past; the pool is huge and everyone congregated there. We're leaving for 3 nights at Sports on Saturday. Maybe it will be noisier than Movies, but I'll take that chance. If you're concerned, get in touch with the people at Sports a few weeks/days before you arrive and ask them for something on the quiet side. I'm sure they'll know what's appropriate. Here's the advantage to Sports: some buses stop at Sports, Movies and Music. Sports is the first stop on the way to the parks (empty seats) and the first stop on the way back from the parks (get home sooner). When I was at Movies it always aggravated me that we had to stop for those Sports people on the way home!

Hi.

I really appreciate if you can tell me how it goes. Have fun at AS Sports and hopefully things are better than you expect!

Hey, I expect it to be fantastic. How can it be better than that??? Before our 2 group trips to ASMovies we stayed at WL. It was kind of boring there and even though it was nice, the room was no more spacious and comfortable than the one at Movies. Just different.

Food court at Movies was wonderful so I think Sports will be as well, and we're on DP. Two days to go - can't wait!

that's because we are all resorts snobs :rotfl2:
i'm only joking !!!
my paris hilton dd :rolleyes: saw the Pop lasr year while visiting friends
and said she wouldn't stay there. i feel sorry for her future husband :rotfl2:

i thought the place was nice. never stopped at the all-stars

chocolate365 said:
Hey, I expect it to be fantastic. How can it be better than that??? Before our 2 group trips to ASMovies we stayed at WL. It was kind of boring there and even though it was nice, the room was no more spacious and comfortable than the one at Movies. Just different.

Food court at Movies was wonderful so I think Sports will be as well, and we're on DP. Two days to go - can't wait!

I've asked for a quiet room at AS Sports and am thinking that the Center Court or Touchdown area may be the quietest since they're furthest from the pool.

I'm okay with limited amenities (after all, it's a VALUE resort), but all of us are light sleepers and can be easily woken up by people running around the hall. Again, we have a 4 y.o. and an infant, so it may not be fun to have 2 unhappy toddlers on your vacation.

I just called Disney and they said they have a room at AS Music available and a preferred room (for $100 more for our entire stay) available at Pop Century. I'm also considering to upgrade to a moderate resort, but the cost is a bit prohibitive.

I may just have to "wing it" at least for the first night and see how things go. If it becomes unbearable, then we have to switch.

Again, please let me know how the "crowd/noise" level when you're there. Have a terrific vacation!

IwasatWDWforamonth said:
Hey Buzz
I would say you shouldnt have any problems with noise, Ive stayed at the all stars many times.
The only noise that bothered us in our room was the cm's with the leaf blowers and my mom was able to request that they not go near our room.

I like the all stars and think they are fun and great for kids, relaxing not so much.
The food court is a lot better than most other resorts in my opinion because they rely on the food court not having a sit down restaurant. My mom and I even drove from the coronado one night to go get yogurt at the all stars because the coronados food court closed at 11pm whille all stars close at midnight.
My mom and I love Sunshine at the food court she is an awesome lady, if she is there you will get really good pizza.

The all stars arent fancy but its a fun place to stay .

Hi there.

Thanks for the input. We don't have a great expectation out of this resort, but since we have 1 toddler and 1 infant, we may go back to our hotel room during the day and let them take a nap (or go for a swim). It also concerns me that some DIS'ers mentioned that some people/teens play at the pool or talk loudly at the balcony until the wee hours (2-3 am!) even the quiet time is supposed to start at 10 pm.

As for food, we purchased the dining plan, so we are probably not going to use the onsite cafetaria much, but it's good to know that they have at least decent food there.

So which all stars did you stay at? It seems to me that the AS Sports cater to the schools/groups much more than others, and is less popular (for others) than other Value resorts. I don't know why I'm paying rack rates for this resort. :rolleyes2

My boys loved Sports and Movies. We actually like Sports better.

Granted when we stayed at Sports there was some LaCrosse teams, but we mainly only saw them in the mornings, heading out.

I can't recall anyone being too loud at either one, but we are a family who works all different shifts, so our house is never quiet, maybe we are just use to it.

DS10 loves the football field the best at Sports. I don't know how many pick up football games he has started. I pick a bench, either have my coffee or soda, watch and get to meet some great parents. Bathroom is close enough at the pool, so I never had to fear leaving him alone for long periods of time. Last time we were at Movies, we made a special trip to Sports, just to start a pick up game, it was so fun.

I would like some opinions about Sports during the summer months. Are there lots of big team groups in June. We have stayed at POP (last year) and Sports when it was brand new. We have been happy with the values in the past. But we are planning a trip next June 2007 and my DS(5 will be 6) says he would love to stay at Sports. I was leaning towards ASMO or upgrade to CBR. But I know he would love all the sports icons. But I am also afraid of noise level and crowds(the young teams) that is mentioned in almost every review of Sports. How is June at Sports?

I feel your pain. We stayed value for 9 nights a couple years ago and hubby and I decided never again. Well only if it is for one night if we get in early or something. Hubby said he would even prefer moderate for that one night, doesn't matter if we spend double.

Just not our cup of tea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter