• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1 Days + 2 Parks = An impromptu Mini-PTR

PennyLane1084

My Pronouns are: They/Them/Theirs
Hi Everybody! I'm Kristin and welcome to my Pre-Trip Report! Come along with me as a over plan my 1 and a 1/2 day trip Universal Studios!! Technically, my vacation 5 days but we will be spending majority of the trip visiting my in-laws.

I've been a long time fan of the Disney and Universal Parks. However, haven't been back to Universal since 1999. So what's bringing my back to Universal after all these years?

Diagon-film.jpg

The only thing that rivals my love to Disney is Harry Potter! (I'm watching Deathly Hallows on TV as I write this post While drinking out of my Marauders Map Tervis tumbler, need I say more?)

I visited IoA back in the Spring of 2012 for the day on another trip to visit my in-laws. Here I am with the conductor of the Hogwart's Express:

hogwarts_express.jpg

This time we're going to make more of a vacation out of our small trip to Orlando.

When: Tuesday, May 2nd & Wednesday, May 3rd
Resort: Cabana Bay
Parks: US/IOA Park-to-Park Tickets
Who: Me (Kristin) and my DH, Steve. (With a guest appearance by my FIL)

Tuesday, May 2nd

We currently have our flights booked. We'll be flying out of Chicago and arrive in Orlando around 2:40pm.

The plan is to take an Uber or a cab to Cabana Bay. I looked into the Mears shuttle, but it seemed expensive. From what I've seen on this board, people have not been very impressed with it. I also considered renting a car but couldn't justify it for only a few hours.

Once we get to the hotel we'll check in, hangout in our room for a bit, maybe hang out by the pool and check out the resort. Then head over to Citywalk for dinner at Toothsome Chocolate Emporium. I'm so excited to eat here. I can't wait to try one of those huge shakes.

After dinner, we might check out the Hollywood Drive-In Mini-golf or head back to Cabana Bay and bowl at the bowling alley.

Wednesday, May 3rd

For the rest of the trip we spending the time with my in-laws who live about an hour north of Orlando. Since someone was going to pick us up anyways, we invited my Father-in-law to join us in the parks. He hasn't been to Universal in about 8 years himself.

The plan is to get up bright and early, to take advantage of the early access into the WWoHP. We'll probably check out of the resort and store our luggage with Bell Services.Then grab a quick bite to eat and coffee at Starbucks either at the resort of at CityWalk, I've also been looking into breakfast at Leaky Cauldron.

We'll head into Diagon Alley my Husband and I. When I have a complete fangirl break down in Diagon Alley, I only want my husband to be there for it. I'm afraid my father-in-law might think his Son married a crazy person if he sees the level of freak out that might happen. HAHA!

I love my in-laws but one thing they are not, is timely. My father-in-law has a very laissez faire attitude which is great and I love that about him. But we're on a tight schedule for the day. So my husband and I decided that we will go back to the resort to pick our luggage and meet him there later in the morning/day. Then we'll drive over to the parking and go back into the parks with him. Then after we are done with our day of fun and adventure, we will drive back with my FIL to spend the rest of our vacation with my in-laws.

What's Next?

In the next two weeks, I'm going to book our room and park tickets.

I'm also going to look at which attractions we absolutely want to see to maximize our time.

Last edited:
We absolutely love the Harry Potter sections of the parks and we're not big fans of the movies. So you're very much allowed to "freak out" when you enter the HP areas. It is truly amazing! Can't wait to heat the rest of your plans and will look forward to your TR in May!

Thank you! I was astounded by the level of detail in Hogsmead and Hogwarts castle, I can't wait to explore Diagon Alley.

This afternoon my husband confirmed a few things with his parents. His parents are divorced, and his Mom lives in our area, only 5 minutes away, and his Dad and Step-mom are who we are going down to visit in Florida. My MIL confirmed that she can watch our dog, Iggy while we are out of town. He love spending time with Grandma and he gets along well with her dog. She also agreed to give us a ride to the airport and pick us up.

We also confirmed plans with my FIL. He'll be meeting us at the park around 11 or Noon, so we'll store our bags with Bell Services at Cabana Bay.

We're still deciding what we want to do for breakfast but we are currently leaning towards Leaky Cauldron. Steve wants to do something more than just Starbucks since we're on vacation.

I booked the room at Cabana Bay and got our park tickets today!! in just over a month and a half, I will be in Universal Studios!! I also tried to make a reservation at Toothsome's Chocolate Emporium but apparently they don't take reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter