1 day after disney Universal annouces HP land details

I agree with that, but for the most part Disney is much more conservative in its approach than Universal, it tries to keep things tame and basically non-contro, to make sure it appeals to kids and families.

For me Disney is like Universal. Not every attraction or ride there I"m going to ride or participate in. I won't do the tea cups but that doesn't keep me from enjoying all the other aspects of a Disney park, same with Universal, don't necessarily want to do the Suess Trolley or carasuessel, but doesn't keep me from loving and doing all the other things, just for an example.

IMO Harry Potter is a great addition for IOA. It will fit in perfectly by the Lost Continent and Jurassic Park sections (similar theming with the LC), and it will have its own other world feel. That is what is so great about IOA, it has these other worlds that you enter and get totally entrapped inside. Like stepping back in time or into a Dr. Suess book, or onto Jurassic Park, or in a Spiderman comic book. HP is perfect for IOA, you'll see. :thumbsup2

Exactly. Disney is catering towards family's and young children as they usually do, and it fits with the whole atmosphere of the parks. I LOVE Disney World and am excited about a Little Mermaid ride. I'm sure all Disney fans are excited! Just from a competitive standpoint alone, it won't draw in people who don't already visit Disney, whereas Harry Potter will draw in a lot of people who never before thought of visiting Universal. With Disney continuously raising their prices (while Universal offers great deals) and not offering anything really unique (which Universal keeps doing) I just think Disney really needs to step up their game.

I don't think the little boys are too excited about Little Mermaid. They'll like Harry Potter much better.

I also think HP is a modern classic and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. And I agree that JKR made the perfect partnership decision when she chose US for HP.

I LOVE WDW and US and am soooo excited for the WWOHP! I think I am more excited about the theming than anything! We love living the story with IOA'a themeing. My kid is gonna FREAK out with all the cool shops! He's 12 now but for his pre-school graduation, after all the other kids had announced that they wanted to be doctors and firemen when they grew up, my kid proudly announced that when he grew up, he wanted to be Harry Potter! He's been walking around with a wand in his hand reciting spells ever since.

As for the FJOHP, well can you just imagine? It should be mind blowing! Something on this scale? Makes my heart palpatate just thinking about it! Hope it doesn't disappoint!

We are doing WDW/US in February and I'm hoping we might be able to see something, anything! Just decided this a.m. that we will probably be going again next early October-ish for a US only trip and do HHN IF HP is ready!

Exactly. Disney is catering towards family's and young children as they usually do, and it fits with the whole atmosphere of the parks. I LOVE Disney World and am excited about a Little Mermaid ride. I'm sure all Disney fans are excited! Just from a competitive standpoint alone, it won't draw in people who don't already visit Disney, whereas Harry Potter will draw in a lot of people who never before thought of visiting Universal. With Disney continuously raising their prices (while Universal offers great deals) and not offering anything really unique (which Universal keeps doing) I just think Disney really needs to step up their game.

I think Disney thinks they don't have to worry about keeping up as much. They have the biggest attendance and conservative exec suit types probably are taking the if it ain't broke don't fix it attitude with the parks. If Universal starts to surpass Disney in attendance, that is when you might start seeing some radical additions/changes, but until then I wouldn't hold my breath, afterall AK is not very old, that is a total of 4 Disney parks in Orlando, that is a lot, and they probably think they are set for big additions for a few decades, other than what was recently announced.

I think Disney thinks they don't have to worry about keeping up as much. They have the biggest attendance and conservative exec suit types probably are taking the if it ain't broke don't fix it attitude with the parks. If Universal starts to surpass Disney in attendance, that is when you might start seeing some radical additions/changes, but until then I wouldn't hold my breath, afterall AK is not very old, that is a total of 4 Disney parks in Orlando, that is a lot, and they probably think they are set for big additions for a few decades, other than what was recently announced.

You're right :thumbsup2 Disney's attendance is huge but it's declined these past few years. I just think in today's market they have to stay on their feet more so than they did in the past. I live in a very family-friendly neighborhood where everyone takes turns going down to Disney every summer. This year though, a lot of them were more content going to Great Adventure (the Six Flags in Jersey). Of course there's no comparison, but Disney raised their prices again without offering anything new, so they figured they'd save the money for other things. After yearly trips to both Disney and Universal since 2005, my family only went to Universal this year. It was cheaper, there were new things to experience, and my 8-year Disney Channel-obsessed cousin loved screaming on The Mummy more than she would have liked the princess dark rides :confused3

You're right :thumbsup2 Disney's attendance is huge but it's declined these past few years. I just think in today's market they have to stay on their feet more so than they did in the past. I live in a very family-friendly neighborhood where everyone takes turns going down to Disney every summer. This year though, a lot of them were more content going to Great Adventure (the Six Flags in Jersey). Of course there's no comparison, but Disney raised their prices again without offering anything new, so they figured they'd save the money for other things. After yearly trips to both Disney and Universal since 2005, my family only went to Universal this year. It was cheaper, there were new things to experience, and my 8-year Disney Channel-obsessed cousin loved screaming on The Mummy more than she would have liked the princess dark rides :confused3

Yes I have not done disney in quite a while, done universal instead over the last several trips in a row. The prices are a LOT better at Universal IMO, and this is why, although I love Universal in its own right, not just because of hte better deals. We are due a disney trip though so we're going to hit disney next and wait for HP to do universal later next year.

If anyone has any doubts about who came up with the idea of a movie set theme park...it was Universal. Universal Hollywood was opened years before MGM was even thought of....popcorn:: never mind the Disney/Universal competition in Orlando... Universal Hollywood was the original Universal Studios... :thumbsup2

If anyone has any doubts about who came up with the idea of a movie set theme park...it was Universal. Universal Hollywood was opened years before MGM was even thought of....popcorn:: never mind the Disney/Universal competition in Orlando... Universal Hollywood was the original Universal Studios... :thumbsup2

Yes, and Universal had studio tours back when Walt was barely in grade school.

I seriously cannot wait for this to open I'm going to the park the day it opens. Twin roller coasters? New dueling dragons? :)

The train station at the entrance is gonna be awesome too, can't wait.

For what its worth, I love HP books and movies but we won't waste out time heading to Universal for it. One new ride is not worth the money and since (again IMO only) HP is on its way out in popularity in a few years I think you will be able to walk on those rides with no wait so why rush over w/ the crowds to see some repainted coasters and one new ride.

That's funny..."HP is on its way out in popularity". It sounds like you would say "It would be the height of irresponsibility to pour money into such a project". That's a quote from Roy Disney on his brother's idea to build Disneyland. It seems Dumbo and the Princesses are still doing OK, despite being 50 years old. I am not a huge HP fan either, but it's obvious that the HP story will live on forever. And, I am not a huge Spiderman fan either, but I still love the ride.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm attacking your statements. :flower3: I just think the skepticism is funny considering the success of both WDW and USF..."We are selling happiness" (Walt Disney, on why his idea would work). People will be pouring into USF to see the HP world for decades to come (IMHO) :)

I seriously cannot wait for this to open I'm going to the park the day it opens. Twin roller coasters? New dueling dragons? :)

The train station at the entrance is gonna be awesome too, can't wait.

Umm... The Twin Roller Coasters *IS* Duelling Dragons, just rethemed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter