• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1 adult, 3 small kids - is it possible?

nadira36

DIS Veteran
I'm considering a trip this spring, but DH won't be able to join us. We have 3 kids 6, 4, and 2 - will it be possible to enjoy rides with all 3 kids? From what I recall I can only have 2 with me to a seat, but my oldest is too young/small to ride on her own. But in the past we've only ever attempted to hae 1 adult and 2 kids, we've never separated with 1 adult to all 3 kids.

I don't want to spend the money if we can't ride any rides. My oldest would be fine on rides like aladdin's flying carpets where there's a front and back, but she wouldn't feel comfortable on dumbo (for instance) where I'd be in a different car.

Are there rides that can accommodate 3 kids and an adult? (I'm also PG so we won't be doing rides like KS at AK, or speedway etc. ONly rides that are baby friendly).

Would you bother going, or wait until 2 adults could go? (If we don't go now, our next trip won't be until sept 2014).

I'm considering a trip this spring, but DH won't be able to join us. We have 3 kids 6, 4, and 2 - will it be possible to enjoy rides with all 3 kids? From what I recall I can only have 2 with me to a seat, but my oldest is too young/small to ride on her own. But in the past we've only ever attempted to hae 1 adult and 2 kids, we've never separated with 1 adult to all 3 kids.

I don't want to spend the money if we can't ride any rides. My oldest would be fine on rides like aladdin's flying carpets where there's a front and back, but she wouldn't feel comfortable on dumbo (for instance) where I'd be in a different car.

Are there rides that can accommodate 3 kids and an adult? (I'm also PG so we won't be doing rides like KS at AK, or speedway etc. ONly rides that are baby friendly).

Would you bother going, or wait until 2 adults could go? (If we don't go now, our next trip won't be until sept 2014).

Nope. I wouldn't do it if it were me. Sept. 2014 is not that far off. If I had the mindset that it was a relaxing by the pool vacation, with an occasional trip to the parks for a couple of attractions, then maybe. Take that money and save it for an unbelievable trip next year.

nadira36 said:

Since none of your kids are over 7, I would wait. I took my 3 little kids, 9,8&6, on my own the week before Christmas and we are park veterans but we still ran into some real issues like the 8&9yr olds only wanted to sit with me on the haunted mansion but I had to sit with the 6yr old, only he ran and got into their doom buggy so we had to ride 4 to the buggy...which sucked btw. Or the 6yr old had to sit out on a bunch of rides because I don't ride them but the other 2 do. So even when all but 1 is over 7, there were still problems that just had no solution.

Thank you for the responses, and link. I can see that 1 adult and 3 kids would be very difficult, however, if I was not pregnant as well, I think we'd still go ahead with the trip. First for the past 23 years I have been to WDW at least every 1.8 mos - usually a lot more frequently than that. It might not seem like a lot to wait for 2.5 years for the next trip (the time when we'll be bale to travel with our new larger family) but it is a long time for me. Also sicne we've been so often rides are not the biggest attraction. There are may other huge draws and we've realized with the time frame we have we'd easily be able to stay well entertained without ever missing the rides we wouldn't be able to do. However, all the walking with 3 kids, busses, up and down monorail ramps while pregnant - that does not sound like fun and on my own I would not be a good idea.

So after asking several other people to come and help, and after many no's, Dh has managed to get a couple days off so we can go as a family. It isn't ideal timing, but the trip will be so much better than on my own.

It's going to be really hard, I tried it, but back then we had annual passes which helped a lot.

However I remember carrying my then 2 year old on one arm, holding the 4 year old and the older one running up the stairs in the car Stunt show with the place full and going all the way to the top. Not a lot of fun for daddy!!! I remember running up those stairs thinking why I even tried to do this, but you know, you do anything for your kids :-)

Keyword "enjoy"
No! I saw a woman like this (3 small kids) last trip and she looked miserable. How would you even handle bathroom breaks (which would be frequent!)
Just wait til your husband can go with you, I would anyway.

Keyword "enjoy"
No! I saw a woman like this (3 small kids) last trip and she looked miserable. How would you even handle bathroom breaks (which would be frequent!)
Just wait til your husband can go with you, I would anyway.

Try bathroom breaks with a dad and 3 little girls!!! It was doable, as long as I had a stroller, but oh boy what an adventure!!! :-D

My wife used to work on weekends, so I had to do this a lot, thank God she no longer works weekends!

At those ages, no. When they are a little older....yes. In fact, I will be taking my three solo for the first 10 days of our vacation, but again, mine are older.

I'm glad your DH could get a few days off so you could go!

You could not beat me into that - hope it works out for you, but I wouldn't even consider it.

I'd wait or enlist a friend, family member or grandparent to at along to ride with the kids. We went in Feb and on Peter Pan out 2 7 yr old on a "pirate ship" together. The ride broke down for nearly 4 minutes in a spot where we couldn't see them. Terrified the entire 4 minutes (us not them). It wouldn't be worth it, and having to do that on all of them. The kids couldn't even ride dumbo as 2 kids under 6 cannot ride together.

I wish it was a more positive response. I've done Disney a lot with 3 kids, but a bit bigger. I think 8, 7 & 4 were my youngest I went solo

I have taken my two youngest with me by myself for a day. I can do it, however, three kids adds a new dynamic. I would suggest bringing a friend, relative, or niece with you.

I would not do it. And I get not wanting to wait too long between trips. Heck, we used to live in FL when I was a kid and went A LOT, then we moved and made it there only every other year, and then I went to college, grad school, had summer jobs, etc. and didn't go for a number of years. Yes, I missed it, but I just couldn't justify trips at that point in my life.

Do yourself a favor and wait until 2 adults can go. You think you want to go so badly, but if the trip is nerve-wracking and stressful because you are "down" an adult, it will not be a fun vacation for you, or the kids.

I must be one of the few insane ones who would do it. I have taken my kids alone when they were all little, 16 months, 3 and 5. We had a blast. It was no different than taking them anywhere else. Sure there were some rides we couldn't do, but I was fine with that (I see you really want to enjoy all the rides you can).

Yes, there were times a kid had a meltdown and yes there were times I am sure I looked frustrated but that happens even at home when you have young kids.

The hardest part of that trip was the flights and navigating the airport. Double stroller, 2 carryons and 2 car seats and a booster seat - that was the tough part.

I'm happy to hear your DH will be able to join you for a family adventure, happy planning!

Is there a pre-teen or teenage niece or friend who can come along to be your "nanny"? That would be fun for all involved. No way would I go it alone with three little ones, but to each her own.

It's possible if you time your vacation correctly. You can go in the early morning and then go back to the hotel at lunch time, take a nap and then possibly go back. If you feel that doesn't work you can try whatever schedule fits you.

I'd do it with hired help :) We use one of the non Disney "VIP Conceirges". The per day rate isn't too bad, he arranges everything for us, including a few extras, and can help with the kids on rides where you have to have two people per seat. If it wasn't for this option, it would be very hard to do.

Thanks - my only concern was rides - possibly the ramp to the monorail :rotfl2: but no concerns now as DH managed to pull time off work and so is coming after all. pixiedust:

nadira36 said:
Thanks - my only concern was rides - possibly the ramp to the monorail :rotfl2: but no concerns now as DH managed to pull time off work and so is coming after all. pixiedust:

Crisis averted ... Until next year when you want your spring Disney fix with four little ones along. ;-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter