• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1-26-08 Western -- "Non-Disney" People go cruising

ecomerford

Earning My Ears
It all began last Fall. With my youngest DS5 entering all-day kindergarten, my DW had returned to the work world. With a little extra cash and a lot of extra stress, we decided this was the year we’d finally get the hell away from Michigan’s long winter. Now, DW is usually our family planner, because, well, she’s rather good at it. But with her extra workload, “we” decided it was time for yours truly to step up and plan this vacation. Now, I’m not a complete goof – I somehow manage all right at work – but those organizational skills seemed to evaporate as soon as I pull into our driveway. Anyway, I start by checking out potential destinations. Caribbean, definitely… but the options are endless, so I start asking people for input. We were looking for something where we could relax and the kids would have a great time. Surprisingly, the Disney cruise keeps popping up.

Now, I know this is DIS Board blasphemy, but I’ve never really thought of myself as a “Disney person.” In fact, the only time we’d discussed a Disney cruise was within the context of, “Is the Disney cruise an acceptable substitute for skipping the parks (with all of those long lines and sticky Orlando days)?” You see, I’m not really a “crowds person” or terribly patient either. But after the FOURTH person said, “You’d love a Disney cruise” I relented. As it turned out, my DW had received the Disney cruise kit the year before, so we popped the promo DVD in and sat back.

An hour later we were online booking our cruise: January 26th, 7-Night Western on the Magic. Porthole room 5010, just down from the Oceaneer Club. Perfect. It was already November 7th, so we’d better book our flight too (even though it’s 11 PM at this stage). I had done ZERO research at this stage, except whatever it said on the Disney site. They said you should be at the port by 2PM on sailing day, so since there was a 9AM flight that got in at 11:30, I jumped on that one. All set.

The next couple of days I started getting into DEEP research mode (work, what work?). I soon started to question my 9AM flight. On November 9th I was looking over the flight with my DW when she said. “9PM, why are we flying at 9PM?” “Oh, %$^#!” It had been late, and obviously I’d picked the wrong flight. I went to change my flight on NWA.com and it coyly informed me that I’d be looking at a $100 change fee plus $65 fare difference PER TICKET for a total of an additional $660! “Double %$^#!!” “This is crazy. These tickets are months away and I just booked two days ago. I’ll call customer service and I’m sure they’ll understand.” Thirty minutes, two CSRs, and one supervisor later… they didn’t understand. Time to pull out the big guns – direct emails to the CEO of Northwest and the Director of Customer Service. I explained myself in brief, non-inflammatory email, and “PRESTO!” I get a call at home the next day (a Saturday!) “from the CEO’s office” (yeah, right) to change my flight. So, while I was at it, I had them change it to a Friday afternoon flight.

That weekend I discovered the DIS Boards. Wow. This was the Disney cruise info mother lode. I soon found the trip reports and started reading … and reading. The more I read, the more excited I became for our coming trip. Excel spreadsheets were created, tips amassed, excursions planned, Navigators printed. I found Halloween costomes at 75% off for Pirate’s Night. I even started to post ... with smiley faces. “Who are you, and where is my husband?” asked DW.

Fast forward to the day of departure (Thank God, you say!). I had resolved before the vacation to try to minimize stress and just go with the flow. That meant leaving for the airport with plenty of time. We actually got through security 90 minutes before our flight. Hmmm, time for a glass of wine and some nachos before the flight.

The flight was uneventful and got in on time at 5:50. Based on my DIS research, I had booked a car through Budget since it was on the airport. While DW waited for the luggage, I got checked in at the Budget desk. Despite the long line, I was still done long before our luggage came off the carousel (45 minutes after we landed). Eventually we loaded into the massive Ford Crown Vic and hit route 528 for Cape Canaveral. Forty-five minutes later we pulled into FishLips parking lot for a delicious fish dinner (another DIS reco).

After stuffing ourselves, we headed for our hotel – Country Inn and Suites. Highly recommended on the board, it did not disappoint. We had booked a kid’s suite, and it was perfect. The almost totally separate kid’s room had bunk beds, a twin, and its own TV/VCR. While DW tucked our tired boys in, I headed out to Publix and ABC Liquors to pick-up “supplies.”

Now, DW and I like our wine. It is one of those simple pleasures in a complicated world. So I researched the Premium Wine Package. Basically, it’s only a “deal” if you get the most expensive wine every night, and the list didn’t really excite: a lot of medium-bodied wines (two Pinots but only one Cab???) that would be $8-12 at retail. Seven bottles for $340 (with tip) didn’t sound too fantastic. Instead, I figured we could buy nice $20 wines at retail, pay the $15 corkage fee at dinner, $5 tip, and still come out ahead.

Having done my research, I knew to bring a collapsible cooler and that ABC Liquors was the place to go. What it lacked in ambience (more 7-11 than wine store), ABC made up for in selection and price. So many interesting options that I kept switching my selections. Thirty minutes later, I left with 8 reds and 2 whites. I worried whether I had over-bought… I needn’t have worried. I headed back to the hotel and settled in for a restful night.

NEXT… Sail-away Day

I am so anxious to read your thoughts on your cruise. I AM a Disney person and have been on 3 four night Wonder cruises.... itching to book another... but we just got back from the "world" Feb 1st.
Awaiting your next installment!

Nancypirate:

We awoke on Sailing Day to the sound of DS-5 coughing. “See, I told you,” said my ever-worrying DW, “Didn’t I say one of the kids would get sick? Now he won’t be able to go to the Club.” Clearly a trip to the drugstore was needed. But first we had to fill up on the complimentary continental breakfast (like there was no food where we were going). Again, Country Inn did not disappoint. In addition to the expected cereal and baked goods, there were eggs, bacon, sausage and even a waffle iron! Suitably stuffed, we packed up the Crown Vic and headed to CVS.

In case you need it, CVS and Walgreens are side-by-side about 2.5 miles down the main drag (alternately called Astronaut Blvd, Atlantic Ave, Route 1-A) on the SW corner of Route 520 (big intersection). Medications in hand, we head for the port.

I really wanted to be one of the first there to make sure we could see about an upgrade, get Palo reservations, and have plenty of time by the pool before it got crowded. Knowing that the port opened at 10AM, the plan was to drop DW, the boys, and the luggage off at about 9:45, drop off the rental car, and then take the Budget shuttle back.

Before leaving for the trip, I searched the board for the port address to enter into Google Maps. A number of posts referenced “Christopher Columbus Drive,” so that’s where we headed. After seeing no sign of the Disney terminal, or a beautiful blue ship (and the car becoming very quiet, “Not now kids – Daddy needs to concentrate”), we asked for directions. “Oh, Disney is at the North port, A Terminals. Go back to 524, take a right and get off at the next exit. Follow the signs. You can’t miss it.” After much muttered cursing, we headed out and actually arrived at the port right at 9:45.

Back on plan, I dropped everyone off and made the short trip back to the Budget lot (closest to the port, definitely the way to go). There was no line and the helpful desk person whisked me through the sign-in and even held the shuttle for me. I hopped on and we arrived back in the port just as the porter was taking our bags. For those that want to go this route, you’ll want to wait by the gate in the fence near the #3 pick-up area. This is where the porters come out to pick-up luggage. There was only one other couple there, so we followed them into the practically empty terminal.

This was our first taste of Disney and we were immediately impressed. Everything was spotless and everyone was pleasant and helpful. Having already filled out all of our Bahamas customs forms, we headed straight for check-in. The greeter handed us a card with boarding No. 2 (No. 1 is reserved for Concierge Class) and directed us to an agent. After we handed over our info, we asked if any upgrades were available. On the flight down, DW and I decided a veranda would be nice, especially since we had the second dinner seating and the kids may need a nap or two. Maximum outlay was set at $500, since this would have cost an additional $1,500 or so in advance. Our helpful agent said, “Let’s see. Oh, here’s a veranda. Wait, here’s a bigger one. How about a Family Suite with Veranda on Deck 8?”
“Sounds good,” we replied, “How much?”
“Don’t worry about it. Since you’re the first to check in, it’s in us,” offered the agent. (What we didn’t know until we got home was that Disney called the evening before to say we’d been upgraded to a veranda. I think our agent got us an even nicer one though.)

We were giddy. This Disney thing was getting better and better. Up until this point, my DW had been questioning the need to get to the port early. Not only did we have a great free upgrade, but I was unequivocally “right about something for once.” Yeah, better and better. While the kids sat and watched cartoons, DW and I tried to figure out exactly where stateroom 8520 was and exactly what a “family suite” entailed. I also checked out our dining code. Of course I knew that S2 PLAPLAP meant we’d be in the second seating at 8:15 on the Parrot Cay-Lumiere’s-Animators Palate Rotation. We had booked too late to get first seating, so I was hoping for the earlier 8:00 rotation of APLAPLA. This was also favorable since we’d be in Lumiere’s for Formal and Semi-formal Nights and in Parrot’s Cay for Pirates Night.

The Kids Club check-in opened up around 11:00 so we sauntered over, got wristbands and pager, and then headed out on the balcony for a closer look at the splendid ship. Here we are on the balcony – Me, DW, DS5, DS7:
100_1969.jpg

The agent had told us that we’d be boarding at around 11:45, so at 11:35 or so we joined the growing crowd near the roped-off Mickey entrance. Right on time (we’d soon learn to expect such punctuality), the doors were opened and Concierge Class people started to board. Next it was our turn. We headed through the Mickey ears and presented our Key To The World (KTTW) cards for the first of many times.

Just down the passage were the photographers. Snap, snap, snap we had photos of the family, the happy couple, and the boys. They were actually some great shots and we ended up getting two of the three. Off we went up the gangway to be introduced.

As pre-arranged, DW headed to Guest Services to confirm her Spa (I’d booked online) and book our Stem-to-Stern Wine Tasting (notice a theme here), while I headed to Rockin’ Bar D to straighten out our dining situation. First off was Palo. I had reserved online, but options were limited so I ended up with 8:30 on Wednesday, which would have clashed with Pirate Night. Instead, I asked if I could change to Sunday or Tuesday night. “No problem, 6:00 or 8:30 are open on both nights.” “Tuesday at 8:30.” Next was Palo brunch, which was totally booked online. I had no problem getting 10:30 on Thursday. Finally I headed to the Dining Rotation table. Change to S2 APLAPLA? No problem. Getting on board early was definitely worth it!

After a very nice buffet at Parrott Cay, we headed up to the Mickey Pool. We’d packed swim clothes in our carry-on, so be got changed and the boys headed in. The weather was actually fairly miserable – 65 and showers – but the boys didn’t care. It was still only 1PM, so the pool was pretty empty. They had a blast going down the slide and warming up in the Mickey ear kiddy hot tub. Here they are:
100_1971.jpg

By 2:45 the kids were getting chilly and DW and I were excited to check out our upgraded stateroom. We opened to door to see a wonderful room. While “suite” may have been a stretch, it had plenty of room, was wonderfully appointed, and of course had an airy veranda. Better yet, there was a Castaway Club gift pack on the bed. Apparently, a member originally had this stateroom (another upgrade?). The gifts were nice: a tote, a notepad and two sports bottles.

When 3:15 rolled around without any luggage, I decided to head down to our old stateroom to see if it was there. Sure enough, I spied our pieces in the crew passage next to our old room. The stewards brought them up and we started to unpack. Everything arrived safe and sound. Having read all the tips, I knew to store the suitcases under the bed and use my over-the-door shoe holder for all kinds of organization.

Soon enough it was safety drill time. A little crowded and boring, but fairly harmless. We headed back to the stateroom, dropped off the lifejackets and headed to Deck 9 for the Sail Away Party. Now, going into the cruise, I had vowed that I would suspend self-respect and join in with whatever was going on. The next picture is proof positive as I shake my streamer and various body parts to the music along with the boys.
100_1986.jpg

After making complete fools of ourselves, we went back to the room to change for the show, “All aboard!” Overall, it was very entertaining. It was a variety show performance with a comedian called Heath Hyche (so-so), and a magician called Freddie Fusion, who was excellent. We vowed to catch his family show later in the week.

More to come...

I'm jumping on board this report. I love all your details. Can't wait for next installment!!!!

This is a really fun TR to read! Thanks so much for sharing your vacation with us. I cannot wait for more.

BTW, AWESOME UPGRADE!!!

Great report so far!! We had never been to Disney before our first cruise, so I'm looking forward to your reaction. We are now Disneyaholics! :rotfl2:

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

BTW, I was able to replace the images above with full-sized. Snapfish was not cooperating so I had to go with Photobucket.

The upgrade was great... but of course it's all party of Disney's magical/evil plan:
A) We are now hooked on cruising.
B) How can we ever consider anything without a veranda?

More to come.

Thank you for the wine review. I am a bit of a wine snob and love to browse "good" wine stores. Wasn't sure about publix, but now I will be making a stop. thanks!

Enjoying your report, and looking forward to your next instalment! Congratulations on the upgrade!

:woohoo: I really like your writing style and look forward to lots of updates! It sounds like you'd be a really fun family to cruise with!:cool1:

Thank you for the wine review. I am a bit of a wine snob and love to browse "good" wine stores. Wasn't sure about publix, but now I will be making a stop. thanks!

I think my post was a little confusing: The Wine Store I went to was actually ABC Liquors, which is on the other side of the road from Publix (which was a separate stop for beach toys, novels, candy, etc.). BTW, if you go there and see something with a "Member's Only" price, just ask the cashier and they'll still give it to you.

After the show, we checked out the Clubs, which the kids thought were plenty cool. One of the reasons we picked DCL was that both boys would be in the same 5-7 age group. They are best buddies, but also very different. DS7 is “Mr. Social” – he’ll talk to or play with anyone, especially if it involves Lego, Transformers, or Star Wars. DS5 is “Mr. Competitive” – he wants to play games (computer, board games, sports, fooseball…). The Clubs had plenty for each. In fact, on two occasions later in the week DS5 cried when we came to take them out of the Club.

At about 7:55 we headed for our 8:00 seating at Parrot Cay… only to find a LOOONG line half way back into Shutters. Hmmm, is this what’s it is going to be like every night? The folks that arrived at 8:00 were all the way through Shutters and into the hall. People were getting a little restless and one guy from the back of the line came up to the Went Nap Person to ask, “When are we going to be seated. This is ridiculous!” (Like, chill out, dude) Right on time at 8:00, the line started to move and we were seated quickly. One thing you soon realize with Disney is that 8:00 means 8:00, not 7:59, not 8:01. There’s no point showing up early for dinner unless you enjoy standing in line. Every day after we showed up at about 8:05 and were seated right away.

Animator’s Palate was pretty cool, especially for the kids. However, we were seated by Bambi who refused to change color throughout the meal. With anticipation building, he finally changed during the big finale. Of course, we met our servers: Ranzil from India was our server, with Ivan from Hungary as the assistant server. Both spoke perfect English and were very pleasant. Ranzil had been with DCL for 6 years, having started as a dishwasher. This was his first stint as a server. Ivan had just been with DCL for 4 weeks, so he was pretty green, but still fine. Beverages were his job, so he frowned a little when I produced our wine, stating apologetically that he’d have to charge us a corkage fee. He was probably used to people getting upset, but I said, “No problem!” having already budgeted for it.

Here we all are in Animators Palate, plus DS5 with a special drink that Ivan made with sprite and Cranberry.
100_2227.jpg

100_2220.jpg

Dinner was delicious… I think I had rack of lamb… and very efficiently served. We zipped through four courses in about an hour. DS5 was very impressed when Ivan made a Mickey head with the ketchup. We stuck around for the big finale (I won’t spoil it) and then headed back to the stateroom.

It was 9:30 at this stage and a good hour-and-a-half past the boys’ bedtime. Our steward, Ike, had been by while we were out. It was so nice to return to a tidy room, with turned down beds, a towel animal, and couple of chocolates. I think this was the favorite aspect of the trip for my DW – coming back to a stateroom that was tidied up twice a day. It all fit in with an overall sense of being taken care of.

NEXT: Key West… Nah.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter