• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1/17/09 Magic anyone???

We won't shun you at all. My DH's attitude is that he is on vacation.
That being said, the suit is packed for formal and semi-formal night. He has a pirate costume for pirate night. But on the other nights, he said if he doesn't feel like going to the dining room in dress pants then he'll just hit the buffet. He is not a dressy kind of person to begin with and is extremely comfortable in his long shorts. Of course, all the shirts are button up. He doesn't plan on wearing t-shirts.

We'll see what happens. We plan on being in the dining room probably the first night and then the other 3. I'm just planning on playing it by ear for the others. Its vacation. I don't care what anyone wears.

No worries...I have gained a little weight and although I have 6 nights that won't include jeans, I will need to use them once. They are nice dark trouser jeans and I plan to wear them with heeled sandals to dress them up a bit.

But you definately won't be the only one! They may be the only pants I fit into by the end of the cruise! :lmao: ...but no one wants to talk about the END of the cruise! :rotfl:

Excuse me (as a male) for jumping in on matters of dress, but IMHO, good looking jeans on a good looking person of any size or persuasion are never something to regret, and always welcome. :banana:

My DW and I are approaching this from a very particular direction: to us, this is an opportunity to dress up and show off. We both view clothes as costumes, like Pirate Night, but every night. I wear a lot of suits for my work, but will be dressing for fun rather than to impress. If we can have a laugh, or give one to someone else, that's the point! :lmao: I mean, let's face it, folks, the WAIT STAFF will all be dressed better than we are!

Let's have some FUN!!!! :laughing:

See you REAL SOON!!

Richard

To weigh in on both the subject of dress and tipping....

- We, personally, like dressing up for dinner. I understand people enjoying wearing their jeans and shorts, (I usually change into jeans as soon as we leave the dining room!), but I enjoy the formality of dinner. While I think that people should wear whatever they want to, I do like the fact that Disney encourages everyone to dress nicely. I have done a Carnival cruise before and could not believe that people went to dinner on dressy nights in jeans and t-shirts! We always dress up, but to each their own.

- As for tipping the bar tenders, if I just get one drink, I add a dollar. For multiple dirnks, I add more. Yes, it may seem like a large percentage, but as a former Disney Cast Member and a part-time server, I know that what we, as guests, give those bartenders, is what they make for a living. They always take phenominal care of us, and I would gladly take good care of them, as well.

HUGE QUESTION! I'm using the Magical Express to get from the airport to our hotel and then the Disney Transfers from the hotel to the Pier. Who do I tip? I've heard you do tip them and I've heard that they can't accept tips ... anyone experienced enough to know? I'm going to be safe and have money ready, but as DH is a bit "thriftier" than I am, I'd just love to hear from you all's experience!

Well I just finished packing my clothes suitcase today (still have about 8 other suitcases to pack though). Anyway, I'm a little paranoid about something. What do people usually wear on cruise casual nights? I didn't really pay much attention on the last cruise. I'm worried about being overdressed. All my cruise casual outfits are things I would wear if I was going out for a nice dinner (dressy shirts, pants, and skirts with nice shoes and jewelry). But then I read the thread today about people wearing jeans to dinner and that being acceptable? I'll feel really stupid being dressed all nice if everyone else wears jeans and t-shirts to dinner. :rolleyes1

I just have trouble picturing myself wearing jeans while I have these fancy servers serving me a fancy dinner in a fancy dining room. I feel like I just need to dress up a bit for a nice meal.

I am planning to wear jeans and a pirate t-shirt though on pirate night. I seem to remember they hand out bandanas so I think a skirt would clash a little lol.

We plan on wearing dress shorts, slacks or nice capri pants with sandals. My hubby will probably wear dress shorts and golf polo type shirts. I probably will wear jeans on pirate night though...not sure yet.

Wow reading through these pages took a heck of alot more time than I thought!!

I am a single dad taking my 8 year old daughter on our 1st cruise..
Whereas I have enjoyed watching my daughters experience of visiting WDW it will be nice to actually share the 1st time experience of a cruise together.

Thank you all for your posts here and elsewhere in the dis cruise line forum it has been very informative and helpful.

One thing I have not seen posted is any tips for a single parent doing a cruise.

Any tips/advice overall for a single parent?:surfweb:

Thanks is advance,

Michael

HUGE QUESTION! I'm using the Magical Express to get from the airport to our hotel and then the Disney Transfers from the hotel to the Pier. Who do I tip? I've heard you do tip them and I've heard that they can't accept tips ... anyone experienced enough to know? I'm going to be safe and have money ready, but as DH is a bit "thriftier" than I am, I'd just love to hear from you all's experience!

If the ME person assists with our bags I will give them a couple of dollars. I am assuming nothing for the DCL transfers since this is a service you are already paying for.

Jim

Magical Express is actually Mears and they are a pretty tip-hungry company from my experience. Not saying you shouldn't leave them something, but they will make it very clear that gratuities are accepted.

I can't remember how the DCL transfers go. I haven't used them since 1999!

Wow reading through these pages took a heck of alot more time than I thought!!

I am a single dad taking my 8 year old daughter on our 1st cruise..
Whereas I have enjoyed watching my daughters experience of visiting WDW it will be nice to actually share the 1st time experience of a cruise together.

Thank you all for your posts here and elsewhere in the dis cruise line forum it has been very informative and helpful.

One thing I have not seen posted is any tips for a single parent doing a cruise.

Any tips/advice overall for a single parent?:surfweb:

Thanks is advance,

Michael

Welcome to the thread!

My husband is deployed overseas constantly, so I've taken my kids to WDW as a single parent many times. Some of the best trips to Disney I've ever taken were with just me and the kids. I love having that quality, uninterrupted time with them doing nothing but having fun.

With that said though, I've never taken them on a cruise alone. My husband is patient enough to allow me to spend his money to take myself to Disney while he's in combat, but he'd kill me if I went on a cruise without him. :laughing: I bet it would be really fun though. And you'll get tons of time to yourself too whenever you need it.

Hey, for those of you that are visiting WDW before or after the cruise, I thought you might like this info on the new Hanes tee design shop that opened in Downtown Disney. You can design your own shirt and print it there. How cool is that !:cool1: Here's the link from anothere website:

http://land.allears.net/blogs/dnews/2009/01/hanesbrands_to_open_oneofakind_1.html

See you all soon !!!:yay:

Oooh boy, another place for me to avoid! We added on the WDW thing just the other day so we have no spending money saved for that part of the trip. MUST STAY OUT OF STORES!

Do you guys think Disney will show either the Inauguration or the Lost season premiere up on the big screen over the Goofy pool?

Is it sad that I'm actually much more excited about the Lost premiere than the inauguration? lol

Do you guys think Disney will show either the Inauguration or the Lost season premiere up on the big screen over the Goofy pool?

Is it sad that I'm actually much more excited about the Lost premiere than the inauguration? lol

I'm hopin that the inauguration will NOT be up there not because I care but DH is still bitter about how it all turned out. Now LOST would be GREAT to see! But I do have my DVR all set up for it! BTW, our GPS has an Austrailian accent so that's why we named her Claire! LOL! Anyway, I too am excited for the Lost premier!

I'm hopin that the inauguration will NOT be up there not because I care but DH is still bitter about how it all turned out. Now LOST would be GREAT to see! But I do have my DVR all set up for it! BTW, our GPS has an Austrailian accent so that's why we named her Claire! LOL! Anyway, I too am excited for the Lost premier!

I'd be somewhat interested in the inauguration just because of the historical significance, and not so much based on who is being inaugurated. I may just record it and watch it when I get back though.

But I just can't imagine the awesomeness of hanging out in a hot tub watching the Lost premiere under the stars, sipping a drink so I really really hope they'll play it!

I'm so lazy. I have so many pants and shirts and dresses that need to be ironed, but rather than do it myself I just tacked another $30 onto our cruise budget to let them deal with LOL.

Magical Express is actually Mears and they are a pretty tip-hungry company from my experience. Not saying you shouldn't leave them something, but they will make it very clear that gratuities are accepted.

I can't remember how the DCL transfers go. I haven't used them since 1999!

I have taken DCL transfers a couple of time and I always remember a tip can out. A buck or two should suffice. If the driver is one who is begging for tips then I would not tip...I hate been people want to make you feel guilty about tipping.

But on the other nights, he said if he doesn't feel like going to the dining room in dress pants then he'll just hit the buffet. .

Just to let you know there is no real buffet for dinner. Topsider's has a sit down casual meal but it is served to you. The only part of it that is buffet is the salad bar.

I have never seen anyone turned away from the dining room and please don't let dress keep you from enjoying the dining room experience. It is wonderful but not stuffy at all. We did the Topsider's dinner once and I did not like it at all. I love having dinner with our server's as they can become quite attached!!!

I have done a Carnival cruise before and could not believe that people went to dinner on dressy nights in jeans and t-shirts! We always dress up, but to each their own.

Wow...we had the exact opposite experience when we cruised Carnival on an 8 night cruise out of NYC in 2005. I was amazed at how dressy people were. Full length gowns and more tuxes than I saw on DCL. We actually saw the dining room manager turning people away if they were in shorts. I was very impressed with dress code on Carnival.

LAST DAY AT WORK, LAST DAY AT WORK!!! It's going to be tough to concentrate today because I'll only be thinking of getting on that plane tomorrow, but I must get out 1099's or at least have them done, because that's the last thing really that needs to be done (eventhough they're not due until 1/31), but one last thing to think about when I get back!

So, will someone please let me know if they put together a meet and greet? I'm sure I'll be checking the boards on my phone when we're in WDW, but they're so slow. An e-mail would be so much easier. Thanks in advance guys!

georjisue22@yahoo.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter