A Pink Pixie Princess - Complete!

Do you have another runDisney race planned for the near future, Zelly?

No and it's killing me. :sad:

We really were thinking we wouldn't do another until Dopey 2018 (when everyone else in the world is hoping to go), but we decided we probably can't hold out that long. We are thinking we will do the marathon again in 2017 and try to make it part of a marathon maniac qualifier.

No and it's killing me. :sad:

We really were thinking we wouldn't do another until Dopey 2018 (when everyone else in the world is hoping to go), but we decided we probably can't hold out that long. We are thinking we will do the marathon again in 2017 and try to make it part of a marathon maniac qualifier.

Awww :worried:

We're planning for Dopey 2018 and it makes me a little nervous to see how many other people are too :eek:

Our hotel in San Francisco - The Argonaut. Such a cute hotel! I highly recommend it.

The Argonaut is a great hotel in SF. The nautical theming is amazing. Great location on the wharf. Also it's close to the Ghirardelli factory. Did you go by there?

Probably late to the party but I vote red! Glad to hear you are feeling better. Not sure about you, but seeing all the posts on social media from this weekend has me excited for the GSC and earning those medals!

..... So, as morning dawns, it occurs to me that a runner of your experience probably already knows all that stretching stuff!! Lol!
But, maybe something helpful in it. Wishing you a strong back, I know just how debilitating it can be :)

Yay!! That is so exciting. Hope your husband likes being in a house full of girls! :)

He has no choice! In addition to our 1.5 year old daughter, we have two female beagles, and one male boxer. My husband jokes that he will be the only one with testicles in the house (our boxer is neutered). Bahahaha!

I finally got a chance to sit down and catch up on everything I missed while I was in Florida...

Even though I won't be there (which I'm still super sad about), I was really excited to see the Princess medals! I actually saw them at the expo too - I love them all! (I think 5K and Glass Slipper are my favorites)

The highs of your California trip sound awesome!! I love California (even though I don't get out there nearly often enough), so I'm always happy to hear when people have a good time out there! Sorry to hear about the lows ... it sucks, but sometimes it happens. Every trip can't be perfect. And hopefully you can find a way to avoid the lows on your next trip!
And congrats on the work promotion, that's awesome!

I hope everyone is feeling better now ... the only thing worse than being sick on vacation is bringing it home with you. I'm glad you finally got some sleep and I hope everyone improved over the past week!

In terms of the training...
I have to say, I'm really impressed that you made the decision to drop from the marathon to the half. I think a lot of people would have been stubborn and stuck with the original plan, and I'm really impressed that you were able to figure out that this wouldn't work for you and you have to deal with your back before you can tackle that marathon.
I hope the new plan (/return to the old plan) gets you back to feeling good!

I love that Fish Tank! I think it will be adorable for a Little Mermaid themed weekend. I think you have a lot of good skirt options ... but I'm with Mr. A - my favorite is the ShockingRed.

I love the InB Singlets!! I think Flutter is my favorite ... it's beautiful! I really love the Dragonfly one too. You got some great shirts! I saw the InB Club thing ... when I win the lottery I'm doing Raw Threads Club, then I'll worry about getting myself obsessed with InB.

Okay, I'm all caught up. I can't wait to hear about how your return to running goes this week!

I apologize in advance for not responding to each of you individually. Honestly, I hate when I take the time to type out a comment on someone's thread and they ignore it, but I just don't have it in me right now.

On Sunday, I woke up and found that my left foot felt numb, like it was asleep - my entire heel around to the outside of my foot had almost no feeling. And I haven't been able to get it to wake up. In addition to that, I've been having more low back pain, bizarre itching sensations in said numb left foot (so it’s either numb, or incredibly itchy), and burning pain down the outside of my leg, from just below my butt, down through my calf. It stops just above my ankle. And the ankle is where the numbness starts. I've had back issues off and on since 8th grade, but I have never, ever had pain or numbness in my legs or feet as a result.

I'm incredibly lucky to have great health insurance, and I was able to see a spine doctor yesterday. It was all good news - what is going on with me is not permanent (my ultimate #1 fear). It is fixable without surgery (another fear). I will be able to run again (fear #3). Long story short, a disc in my back is pressing on the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower spine, into the butt, then the back of the thigh, all the way down to the foot. Apparently most people have a disc out of place (like 50% of the population, whether you know it or not)...mine just so happens to be pressing on this nerve. So it's not an unusual problem, and it's not something that I can look back at any particular thing and say, "yep, that's when it happened. This is what caused it."

Per my doctor, this is all fixable with certain exercises. Like I said, all good news.

The bad news - I'm deferring my Glass Slipper Challenge entry to 2017. The last few days have been incredibly upsetting - first with not knowing what was going on (maybe it's an overreaction, but waking up with an appendage being almost totally numb seemingly out of nowhere was terrifying), and then finding out a diagnosis and urging my body to heal quickly so that I can get some training runs in. It's too much pressure to put on myself to get over this nerve pain in enough time to start running again, especially after already having taken almost a month off. And if I do heal soon, how enjoyable will the races actually be after so little training?

The doctor told me I could try to run 1-1.5 miles this morning. I was excited! Time to run again! I even wore the outfit I was planning on wearing for the half...good karma and all that.

I couldn't even make it to 0.25 miles. The pain and bizarre itching were just too much. After wrestling with it all day, I submitted the deferral about an hour ago. I know it's the right decision, and I'm hoping I'll feel some relief now that I actually got the confirmation email back and there's no time crunch to get better...but right now knowing that I won't be there for the races next month hasn't gotten any easier.

I'm trying to focus on how lucky I am - this isn't permanent. No surgery. I'll be able to run again. I have good insurance (SUPER lucky since I have to get an MRI next week, and those are pricey) and a definitive diagnosis. I have a guaranteed entry to GSC next year. I can cancel everything without losing much money - I'll get my room deposit back (I can't go to WDW when the races are happening - it'll be too hard to be there when I'm not participating, and who knows if I'll even feel good enough to walk around the parks?) and my flights were on Southwest, so I can get credits for those. All I'm losing are the pins I pre-ordered and my 5K entry fee (since those are not transferable). All of these are good things, but mostly I'm just sad right now. :sad1:

I'm not sure what to do about the Pixie Dust Challenge yet...at least I have awhile to decide. I'll likely be taking a break from this thread for awhile, and from the runDisney section of the forums...I wish I could be mature enough to stick around and fully participate, but it's hard to read about everyone else running and getting excited for Princess weekend when I can't. Mature? No. But that's how I feel right now.

So that's what's going on with me. Again, thanks for the comments and I'm sorry for not responding to each of you individually.

UPDATE

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you're deferring, but ... you have to do what's best for you. Take care of yourself, and I look forward to seeing you pop back in once you're able to run comfortably.

:hug:

So sorry for everything you are going through. :( But you really are being mature in that you are giving up something you want for what is best for your health. Dealing with back pain is no fun and if you are able to do something to get rid of it long term you will be better off down the road. The races will always be there. Just being able to focus on your health without stressing out due to a time frame will help immensely. My thoughts and prayers will be with you whether you are on this board or the run boards or not. You, through your reports and comments, have been a tremendous help to me in my running and I appreciate you. :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your back /disc. I'm glad that it isn't permanent and can be fixed sans surgery. I totally understand staying away from hearing/reading about something you were looking forward to for awhile until the pain wears off a bit. I have done that before.

I really enjoy your threads/posts and wish you the best in recovery!

Oh Shannon! I'm so sorry to read this, friend. I was worried something was up when you hadn't posted for a bit. :(

You are most decidedly making the right decision even if it's a really difficult one to make. I'm relieved for you that this is a temporary setback and that with the right care, rest and exercise, you can expect to fully heal. I know that doesn't really help with the immediate disappointment though. I'll miss this thread and your posts, but again, completely understand why you need to distance yourself for a time. No reason to rub salt in the wound.

I hope you don't stay away too long. I'll miss "hearing" from you. In the meantime, sending you lots of healing vibes and big hugs and wishes for a speedy recovery. :goodvibes

Sorry to hear about the problems but glad it won't require surgery and you'll be able to run again. Get better soon so we can continue following your rundisney adventures.

I apologize in advance for not responding to each of you individually. Honestly, I hate when I take the time to type out a comment on someone's thread and they ignore it, but I just don't have it in me right now.

On Sunday, I woke up and found that my left foot felt numb, like it was asleep - my entire heel around to the outside of my foot had almost no feeling. And I haven't been able to get it to wake up. In addition to that, I've been having more low back pain, bizarre itching sensations in said numb left foot (so it’s either numb, or incredibly itchy), and burning pain down the outside of my leg, from just below my butt, down through my calf. It stops just above my ankle. And the ankle is where the numbness starts. I've had back issues off and on since 8th grade, but I have never, ever had pain or numbness in my legs or feet as a result.

I'm incredibly lucky to have great health insurance, and I was able to see a spine doctor yesterday. It was all good news - what is going on with me is not permanent (my ultimate #1 fear). It is fixable without surgery (another fear). I will be able to run again (fear #3). Long story short, a disc in my back is pressing on the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower spine, into the butt, then the back of the thigh, all the way down to the foot. Apparently most people have a disc out of place (like 50% of the population, whether you know it or not)...mine just so happens to be pressing on this nerve. So it's not an unusual problem, and it's not something that I can look back at any particular thing and say, "yep, that's when it happened. This is what caused it."

Per my doctor, this is all fixable with certain exercises. Like I said, all good news.

The bad news - I'm deferring my Glass Slipper Challenge entry to 2017. The last few days have been incredibly upsetting - first with not knowing what was going on (maybe it's an overreaction, but waking up with an appendage being almost totally numb seemingly out of nowhere was terrifying), and then finding out a diagnosis and urging my body to heal quickly so that I can get some training runs in. It's too much pressure to put on myself to get over this nerve pain in enough time to start running again, especially after already having taken almost a month off. And if I do heal soon, how enjoyable will the races actually be after so little training?

The doctor told me I could try to run 1-1.5 miles this morning. I was excited! Time to run again! I even wore the outfit I was planning on wearing for the half...good karma and all that.

I couldn't even make it to 0.25 miles. The pain and bizarre itching were just too much. After wrestling with it all day, I submitted the deferral about an hour ago. I know it's the right decision, and I'm hoping I'll feel some relief now that I actually got the confirmation email back and there's no time crunch to get better...but right now knowing that I won't be there for the races next month hasn't gotten any easier.

I'm trying to focus on how lucky I am - this isn't permanent. No surgery. I'll be able to run again. I have good insurance (SUPER lucky since I have to get an MRI next week, and those are pricey) and a definitive diagnosis. I have a guaranteed entry to GSC next year. I can cancel everything without losing much money - I'll get my room deposit back (I can't go to WDW when the races are happening - it'll be too hard to be there when I'm not participating, and who knows if I'll even feel good enough to walk around the parks?) and my flights were on Southwest, so I can get credits for those. All I'm losing are the pins I pre-ordered and my 5K entry fee (since those are not transferable). All of these are good things, but mostly I'm just sad right now. :sad1:

I'm not sure what to do about the Pixie Dust Challenge yet...at least I have awhile to decide. I'll likely be taking a break from this thread for awhile, and from the runDisney section of the forums...I wish I could be mature enough to stick around and fully participate, but it's hard to read about everyone else running and getting excited for Princess weekend when I can't. Mature? No. But that's how I feel right now.

So that's what's going on with me. Again, thanks for the comments and I'm sorry for not responding to each of you individually.

I came here to ask you if you were part of any ear re-selling pages... but found this instead and I'm so sad for you! I wish you a speedy recovery and all the pixie dust in the world!

Oh no! I'm so sorry you have to defer until next year, but I'm very glad you'll be able to heal up and get back to running without surgery. Rest up, recuperate, and we'll see you on the forums again before too long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter