09/08/07 Early Check in September 8, 2007 Western

With all this talk about the "H" I just checked out some of the excursions listed for the Eastern Caribbean cruise at disneycruise.com, and I have to say they look pretty cool! So I know no matter what happens we will all have a good time!

With all this talk about the "H" I just checked out some of the excursions listed for the Eastern Caribbean cruise at disneycruise.com, and I have to say they look pretty cool! So I know no matter what happens we will all have a good time!

If we wound up heading to St. Thomas I would book with Godfrey tours. We did this before and it was a great day. www.godfreytoursvi.com

Only been to St Maatren twice. Once I had sun poison and the opther time we went to Divi Little Bay. We had a great time there but now the cruise lines use the place for excursions so it's more crowded now.

Maybe we could go to Castawat Cay twice. Oops sorry dreaming again.;)

Bill

If we wound up heading to St. Thomas I would book with Godfrey tours. We did this before and it was a great day. www.godfreytoursvi.com

Only been to St Maatren twice. Once I had sun poison and the opther time we went to Divi Little Bay. We had a great time there but now the cruise lines use the place for excursions so it's more crowded now.

Maybe we could go to Castawat Cay twice. Oops sorry dreaming again.;)

Bill

I am dreaming right along with you, Bill! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Last I read, it seems like Grand Cayman is standing right in the way of Dean and that's not good. They got hot SO badly with Rita 2 years ago that the island was practically devistated. I hope that all the Caymanders are safe and that they sustain little damage.

As far as our cruise goes, the islands would have to be pretty bad in order to divert from them. I know that usually a port is only changed if it is impossible to dock or tender OR if there are not enough local businesses left standing to support cruise guest. Don't forget....for many Caribbean islands, cruisers keep them afloat financially. Not having cruise ships come into their port for a week or more can kill their businesses.

I have a feeling we're going to be ok. Think happy thoughts.:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

First time cruiser here and very concerned about Dean... alot of people are talking about a cruise to nowhere.. is that possible?

I figure that it will be an Eastern cruise because of Dean.. if it hits where they say... (hopefully it wont and everyone in the path will be fine..)

I canceled my excursion on Grand Cayman... I figure I can rebook once we know the extent of the damage...

Anyone ever been on a cruise after a hurricane?

P.S.... I am not packing yet... I can't even decide the excursions.. how do you all do it?

I'd actually like a "cruise to nowhere" 7 days on board, kids clubs open!!!:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: That seems too good to be true! Has it ever happened before?

I just checked the latest on "H" Dean, and according to the National Hurricane Center, it looks like they have shifted Dean's path to the south a bit and that takes Grand Cayman out of the direct hit picture. It is still over Cozumel however. Hopefully, it can scoot a little further south so these islands are getting hit with tropical storm rather than hurricane. I know a tropical storm can still do plenty of damage, but the hurricane is jumping between a cat. 4 and 5. Very strong. I am praying for the safety of all those islanders.

Thought I'd post an update for all those who have been watching.

Ready For Hurricane Dean | Print | Email
Cozumel Island News - Latest News
Aug 19, 2007

Hurricane Dean satellite photo (NOAA). Islanders are spending the weekend making preparations for Hurricane Dean.

The category 4 storm is currently near Jamaica in the Caribbean and will probably arrive to the Mexican coast on Monday night.

The National Hurricane Center in the United States advised this morning that Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula should "closely monitor" the hurricane's progress.

The people of Cozumel are taking the usual precautionary steps, such as sending the vehicle ferries to safe harbor, assisting tourists home, lifting boats out of the water, closing hurricane shutters and taking down street signs.

Hurricane Dean is currently moving along at 18 miles per hour (30 kmh) with winds of up to 145 miles per hour (230 kmh). It is now near Jamaica, at a distance of some 1,200 miles (2,000 km) from Cozumel.

Protecting windows (Radio Coral).

Over the last couple of years, special inspections have been made by authorities in Cozumel to ensure that buildings are safe and effectively 'hurricane proof'.

Islanders are calm and will be ready to welcome tourists back again the moment Dean has said his farewells.

Ready For Hurricane Dean | Print | Email
Cozumel Island News - Latest News
Aug 19, 2007

Hurricane Dean satellite photo (NOAA). Islanders are spending the weekend making preparations for Hurricane Dean.

The category 4 storm is currently near Jamaica in the Caribbean and will probably arrive to the Mexican coast on Monday night.

The National Hurricane Center in the United States advised this morning that Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula should "closely monitor" the hurricane's progress.

The people of Cozumel are taking the usual precautionary steps, such as sending the vehicle ferries to safe harbor, assisting tourists home, lifting boats out of the water, closing hurricane shutters and taking down street signs.

Hurricane Dean is currently moving along at 18 miles per hour (30 kmh) with winds of up to 145 miles per hour (230 kmh). It is now near Jamaica, at a distance of some 1,200 miles (2,000 km) from Cozumel.

Protecting windows (Radio Coral).

Over the last couple of years, special inspections have been made by authorities in Cozumel to ensure that buildings are safe and effectively 'hurricane proof'.

Islanders are calm and will be ready to welcome tourists back again the moment Dean has said his farewells.

WoW ! Thanks for the info.

Ok... if we do an Eastern...
here are the 2 excurtions Dh and I are already booked on for the 15th.
12 Metre regatta in St Martin and in St Thomas..Captain Nautica. The Eastern does have some great excurtions.

My heart goes out to the people in the H's path.:sad2:

I would try and relax as much as possible. There is nothing you can do to change the weather. We just need to ride it out and hope for the best. These are the risks we take cruising during hurricane season.:wizard: :wizard: :hug: :grouphug:

I have been on a cruise during a Hurricane. We left PA and there was no tropical activity in the Atlantic at all, as we checked before we left for the airport. We arrive in Florida drive to Cocoa and check into our hotel. We flip the TV on, Late breaking news, tropical storm Rita is in the ocean and quickly becoming a Hurricane. This was within a period of like 8 hours. The weather is very unpredictable this time of the year.

We get up the next morning and call DCL to find out if their are any changes. Sorry ma'am I know nothing about a Hurricane in the ocean. The woman answering the phone had no idea there was any activity in the Atlantic. So we drive to the port, hop in line to check in. We were the first people to be handed a piece of paper that states, due to Hurricane Rita your Nassau day is now a day at sea. None of the staff really knew right away it was occurring, as I bet they already had their staff meetings before this information was released.

So the first day they pulled us straight off the Florida coast, it wasn't that rocky and we were basically stationary, except they tried to keep us in sunny calm weather. The planned a whole bunch of great activities to keep us occupied on the sea day and it was a great way to get into vacation mode.

At night they started moving us toward Nassau, we had strong winds and high waves. The entertainer for the night was a juggler, he did a fantastic job given the conditions. It was a rocky night and we were pretty far away from the storm.

We got up the next morning and we couldn't dock first thing since Hurricane Rita was going through the island that morning. Around noon we approach the island and need to go away again as there was a bad squall of storms going through. We were starting to Wonder if we were on a cruise to nowhere.

We get to dock at Nassau:cool1: :dance3: around 1pm, the island didn't fair that badly considering their were like 80mph winds through it that morning. We got off and walked around and explored, as we needed to be back on board for the galley tour.

It was much smoother from then on out. We made it to Castaway Cay:cloud9: , it was a sunny day with on and off storms but I still had an absolute blast.

Honestly during Hurricane season I would most like to be in a cruise boat as you can easily move into the good weather. Even if the itinerary is not exactly what you think it will be you can have a good time. You just need to be flexible and think with an open mind. You cannot let the potential for change paralyze you that you won't enjoy your vacation.

Disney will make sure to keep you away from the storm and take care of you very well. I would much rather be with Disney then anywhere else during a storm.

Just bring your sea sick meds, have good trip insurance, an open mind, and be ready to roll with the punches and you will have a fantastic time.:thumbsup2

18 Days people, 18 days
:dance3: :woohoo: :cheer2:

I think we all need to just quit worrying about the weather in the carribbean (other than for the safety and wellbeing of all those who live there and are vacationing there).

I, like the rest of my list people on the disboards, have begun my list of things I need to buy such as toiletry stuff and meds and such. Clothes are pretty much taken care of with the exception of them being packed. Don't want to pack too early because the clothes will wrinkle badly! :rolleyes:

I'm just extremely excited and on a definite countdown. I'm getting things done here that need to be done. Are you guys ready for this? We are having our garage floor and half our family room floor ripped out this week (I have a split level house). The slab part of the floor has to be ripped out because it is sinking. :scared1: :scared: We have a bathroom that is being ripped out as well. LESS THAN 3 WEEKS BEFORE WE LEAVE FOR VACATION! :upsidedow

We have to rebuild the bathroom completely and have our carpeting tack strips reapplied and the carpeting stretched and tacked down. The garage has to be put back together (all the stuff that was in it had to go somewhere else until the floor is ripped out, refilled and recemented). LESS THAN 3 WEEKS BEFORE WE LEAVE FOR VACATION! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ah well, like the hurricanes and the weather, you just can't predict when stuff is going to happen. :wizard:

We are definitely going to need this vacation! :cool2:

Hugs and Kisses! :grouphug:

Thanks for all of your advice everyone. I can always count on you all for great advice. I have been o.k. all week, but you know, you always gotta work with some people who are so jelous of your vacation they start in with talking bad about the "H" and how it's so funny i waited all year for a ruined trip. Those jerks!!!! Then I got all worried, and turned to you all for answers. Again thanks for calming me and saving my sanity. I will also not cancel my excurssions!
**Stina*** Yes i did book direct with that chakanaba Park on Cozumel for the Dolphin royal swim. I will let you know how it goes, should we end up needing to cancel. But as for now....I'm standing it firm. We will have the best vacation ever, cause everyone on board deserves it! We have all busted our butts all year at work for this trip! And we will have the best vacation ever!!!!!!!
16 more days for me.
Thank you everyone.

I just want on the ship. I don't care where it goes. I just need to be on the darn thing.

MommaKoss...
We still have to clean up our studio from doing 10 iakos(E-au-ku-s). I NEED to work on a few pieces of ceramic sculptures before we leave.:thumbsup2
We'll probably re-do our bathroom this coming winter. Im not looking foward to that job.:sad2:

Ann :hourglass

18 Days people, 18 days
:dance3: :woohoo: :cheer2:[/QUOTE]

I can hardly wait. 14 days for me and my DW to fly in from the Netherlands.
I hope DEAN will be the last hurricane.

Morning all!

TinkerbellTris... I feel ya with the haters! I work in an office full of Disney-haters... :eek: can you imagine? So I don't even talk about my trips at all.

MamaKoss...whoa! Sounds like you guys have a lot to do before vacation. Good luck with your garage reconstruction. Just look at it this way, after all that you sure will be ready for the tranquility of lying on a deck chair with a drink in hand. ;)

I have a very important packing tip that we learned the hard way on our last cruise. Bring cold medicine! With so many people in such close quarters its easy to pick up a light cold onboard and there is no cold medicine available for sale at the gift shops, so make sure to bring some just in case. On our last trip my DP got a head cold on the very last day which was the same night we went to Palo. We had a great time at Palo, however, she couldn't taste ANY of her meal. :sad2: Can you imagine, being at Palo and not being any to taste any of it? Sounds like some kind of torture! :laughing:

For all those needing a Disney fixx I found some great sail-away party footage on youtube.com, puts me in a happy mood!

Just a few short weeks!

stina :wave2:

Morning all!

TinkerbellTris... I feel ya with the haters! I work in an office full of Disney-haters... :eek: can you imagine? So I don't even talk about my trips at all.

MamaKoss...whoa! Sounds like you guys have a lot to do before vacation. Good luck with your garage reconstruction. Just look at it this way, after all that you sure will be ready for the tranquility of lying on a deck chair with a drink in hand. ;)

I have a very important packing tip that we learned the hard way on our last cruise. Bring cold medicine! With so many people in such close quarters its easy to pick up a light cold onboard and there is no cold medicine available for sale at the gift shops, so make sure to bring some just in case. On our last trip my DP got a head cold on the very last day which was the same night we went to Palo. We had a great time at Palo, however, she couldn't taste ANY of her meal. :sad2: Can you imagine, being at Palo and not being any to taste any of it? Sounds like some kind of torture! :laughing:

For all those needing a Disney fixx I found some great sail-away party footage on youtube.com, puts me in a happy mood!

Just a few short weeks!

stina :wave2:

To All-

I would like to second the medicine tip (and add a little more). When 3000+ people (passengers and crew) are in a tight area, germs get spread around quite easily. You have all heard about the Norwal type virus that spreads around cruise ships.... Cruise lines have institued many, many precautions to help prevent this. The reason being is that if a certain percentage of passengers/crew report these symptoms, the ship is forced to stop and clean every (and I mean every) surface before leaving port. When ships are in port, they are not making any money.......

In addition to the cold medicine, we also pack and strongly reccommend carrying an Immodium type OTC medicine as well. If you would happen to 'catch a bug' and not have any of this, never fear, the ship's store will have some. However, you take the chance of being quaranitined for a few days (see above precautions). Much better to come prepared than to risk having your cruies spent in the cabin...

Hope all is well-

I agree with Cingular. I bring a whole pouch full of medicines precisely because I don't want to rely on the infirmary for them. I'd rather just treat myself than take the risk of going down there and getting quarantined for any reason. That said I usually bring:

- antibacterial hand wipes
- cold medicine (day & night caplets)
- imodium ad
- gasx
- pepto bismol
- dramamine
- digestive aids
- advil
- aloe vera
- lots of bandaids!

You never know!

Also last time I brought one of those travel size toothpaste tubes (to save space packing) and ran out! I had to pay like $3 to get another one on board. Big mistake!

One of the most useful items we brought on our last cruise was a tiny air freshener (I think I got it at the White Barn Candle Co.). This turned out to be great. If you have an inside room it can get musty, especially when you are hanging up wet swimsuits and stuff, and I loved having a sweet smelling cabin all the time.

Happy packing all!

The sell the very small condensed air scents at Bath and Body as well. I have had one that has lasted me years that I take only on vacations. One TINY little spray and the whole room smells great for a very long time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter