07/10/2015 Magic - North Europe

We enjoyed so much in Stockholm its really hard to figure out our top picks. At the top of the list is Gamla Stan (Old Town) where there was great shopping, restaurants, and The Royal Palace. We did a tour of the public areas of The Palace that included the State Apartments, Guest Apartments, Hall of State and The Royal Chapel. All areas were magnificent with so much to see. Also, on Gamla Stan is Storkyrkan (Stockholm Catherdal) which is the official church used for royal ceremonies. The Nobel Museum was interesting to see but would not be on the top of my list with limited time. Marten Trtzigs Grand is the narrowest street in the city and is interesting to see. The Parliament building is on Gamla Stan but we ran out of time and did not get a chance to see the inside. Its beautiful from the outside.

We were overwhelmed by the beauty of the parks, waterways and outdoor activities. The King's Garden is place where locals go as a popular meeting place. The Opera House was a great place to visit and all sites have tours in english.

The Grand Hotel is where we stayed and were incredibly impressed by the service and location of the hotel as well as the history associated with the hotel.

One of my favorite sites was the Vasa Museum. It is amazing to see the condition of the ship that sunk in 1628.

We also visited Grona Lund which is an amusement park with roller coasters, a haunted house and restaurants. It was a lot of fun and gave my 11 year old a break from the museums and churches.

Skansen is the worlds first open air museum and shows how swedish people once lived. There is an aquarium and over 150 houses to visit. You could spend several days there exploring.

City Hall had several great rooms to see but is not as old as the other buildings in the city. This is where the Nobel Prize dinner takes place.

We also took a bike tour of the city and were guided to places that we had not previously seen.

One day we toured the Archipelago by boat and it was absolutely beautiful. Great day with sun and warm temperatures.

We spent most of our time walking the city and used no public transportation. It was very easy to get around.

Of all the places we visited the place I would not recommend visiting is the Ice Bar. We felt like it was a waste of time. The entrance to the bar is down an alley and was hard to find. The drinks appeared water downed and the place is really small.

Overall, our impression of Stockholm was what a wonderful city. We felt right at home and would love to go back for an extended stay anytime but there are so many other places to visit!

Wow, that is a lot for Stockholm, hope we have enough time. Looking at private tours in the ports and see lots of options, wondering however about Berlin, is it wise to do private when it is 2 1/2 hours from port ?

Still planning on a Visa for St Petersburg so we can do some of the City on our own after hours, assuming things calm a little so we get to stop in St Petersburg. :tiptoe:

Is there an FE for our cruise yet?

Thanks!

We booked our cruise in April while we were cruising on the Fantasy for Spring Break. I've been looking for a FB group for our cruise and just found it! I have to confess, I don't spend too much time on the DIS boards but I am on FB everyday!

There are four of us cruising. Deb (me!) Kevin (DH), Dylan (DS - will be 9 at the time of our cruise) and Cooper (DS - will be 7 on the cruise)

Looking forward to getting to know you guys!
Thanks
Deb

We are the Tirado family: Armando (48) Virginia (??) Daniel (11, turning 12 on the 12th July, onboard) Sylvia (9)

We are US citizens living in the UK - please lets see a leader rise and take the reins of organizing the FE!

Hi! We are also booked on this cruise. We are the Gaal family and live in Southlake, Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth area). This will be our first Baltic cruise and we are very excited. It will be me (Shirley) and my husband (Peter) and our son (Matthew 20) traveling.:cool1:

Hello! I am organizing the FE for this cruise. Please PM me your names and cabin number and I will add it to the list. We are breaking up the cabins into groups of 20. There are lists for those traveling with children and those who are not. Looking forward to getting to know everyone over the next year! :goodvibes

Just booked our return flights for this cruise. We were able to get saver awards on Air Canada using United miles. Our flight leaves Heathrow at 3pm and goes through Toronto to SFO. So glad to have the flights all taken care of.

Hello!

We literally just stepped off the Fantasy this morning (cruise #7). We booked this cruise while onboard. We haven't told our DS yet. This will be his high school graduation present and his first cruise as an adult! I'm glad to see that there are some other 18-21 year olds going.

We are Cyndi, Scott and Ben from Berkeley Calif. We have done cruises to Alaska, Bahamas and Eastern and Western Caribbean.

Once we get home to CA and all the laundry is done I'll request to be added to the FB group. We'd love to participate in the FE. I guess we'd be in the group without kids (weird! :confused3).

So excited to be on this cruise!

Cyndi

Welcome to all the new cruisers!

Cindi, there are a couple of us from the bay area on the cruise. My DS will be a graduate and 18 for the first time on a cruise, too. He's special needs though, so unfortunately the college group won't work for him. I'm hoping he's not bored without the VIBE, but Palo has been a good carrot :)

Like Calfan, we are also on the Iceland B2B and just finalized our flights for both. Very excited to have a direct on SAS to Copenhagen for first cruise and award tickets through united for Air Canada on the way back from London. It's a relief to have the airfare stress behind me!

Hi there! New to the forum. We booked the Magic Baltic cruise for July 10, 2015 during our Fantasy Caribbean this last July. It will be me (Amy), my DH, Jeff, and my DD, Elle, who will be 10. Looking forward to this cruise for sure and also to meet all of y'all. We've done 2 cruises and were a little lonely, just the three of us. Hoping to make some friends here and learn more about the cruise. Thanks!!

Really starting to wonder if St Petersburg will remain on the itinerary for us, each day it seems like it is more and more likely we could see a travel ban :sick:

I have not seen any posts of people looking to share tours or suggestions, is anyone thinking along these lines :grouphug:

Hi everyone! So excited to find this board! We've been on multiple Disney cruises before, but never a European cruise. It's me, Jennifer, my husband, Chris, and our two kids DS (14) and DD (12). A friend of mine was saying that getting on this forum is a great way to chat with folks before the trip and also to get advice on hotels, transportation to and from London and Dover, and FEs. I'm all ears over here.

We are interested in joining the FE crowd. Unfortunately, I can't PM the person in charge because I have to make a bunch of posts first. Hmmmm.

Welcome Jennifer, :wave2:

We have done the Mediterranean and the Greek Islands with DCL and are looking forward to finally getting the Baltic. This thread has been pretty dead since people have posted facebook links so you probably are not going to get the interaction your friends are used to.

We will be traveling with family of 4, staying in London 2 nights and private transport to port. All of our return flight options are early so we need private transport to ensure timely airport arrival. We are also doing private excursion companies with the possible exception being Berlin since it is so far from port and previous cruisers have noted traffic issues.

Unfortunately, posts have been removed from a number of Cruise Meets threads including this one.

PLEASE review the Cruise Meet Policy regarding Cruise Meet and Fish Extender programs. - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3353477

Links to Cruise Meet discussion/Fish Extenders other than those on the DIS may not be posted or offered by any other means (PM, email, "search" directions).

Cruise Meet threads are doing just fine still managing meet and FE discussions right here on the DIS as they have since FE began (also here on the DIS).

FE organizers generally need to know how many people (adults/children) are participating in each cabin with child ages for age appropriate gift giving. Other information you would like to share such as names, allergies, favorite characters, etc. is up to you. Other personal information is not really necessary. Those organizing FEs typically ask for the information to be posted in the meet thread or sent to them via PM. If no one comes forward to organize a FE for this cruise, perhaps someone can start that right in this thread.

DISboards Fish-Extender Basics

Enjoy!

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

My mom and I (Cassie) just reserved this cruise today! First disney cruise (well, unless you count Big Red Boat so many many many years ago...), not first trip to Europe (but most of the destinations are new). Its the two of us and my daughter who will be a little over 2 at the time.

Any other parents of young kids? Would love to talk excursion strategies! My plan is to take her with us most days, and use all my prebook time in the nursery to leave her while we go to St. Petersburg one day.

I wish we could know what room we get now, but the agent says its "guarentee" only now. Which sounds like the wrong name for not getting to know your room! We both get sea sick, so there are certain rooms we'd really rather have, and being upgraded from the category we choose would mean being more forward on the ship.

So excited!

I just would like to say hello! I am not with you on the ship, but I will wave you a warm welcome to Germany when the Disney Magic arrives in Warnemunde. I just booked a room in the hotel opposite to the port (Hohe Duene). Watch out for the balcony with the banner! Does your group has a name? If possible I would write it on the banner. My last cruise on the Disney Magic was the last Southern Caribbean and the Repo to Port Canaveral last year. I am still dreaming of it. And by the way, I live in Berlin - if you have any questions please just ask.

Last edited:
I just would like to say hello! I am not with you on the ship, but I will wave you a warm welcome to Germany when the Disney Magic arrives in Warnemunde. I just booked a room in the hotel opposite to the port (Hohe Duene). Watch out for the balcony with the banner! Does your group has a name? If possible I would write it on the banner. My last cruise on the Disney Magic was the last Southern Caribbean and the Repo to Port Canaveral last year. I am still dreaming of it. And by the way, I live in Berlin - if you have any questions please just ask.

Thanks Pixie The group is called "Magic in the Baltic" we'll keep an eye out for the banner too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter