06/24/2006 - Special Western Cruise - Who Else!?

RCBA said:
Can anyone recommend a small, lightweight reasonable priced point & shoot digital camera? We have an awesome Sony w/ a jillion features but it is bulky and heavy, I'm going to purchase one that will be much more travel friendly before the trip.
We bought DD17 a Coolpix S1 for Christmas and loved it so much we bought one for ourselves! It is so small she carries it in her jeans pocket (and you know how tight teens wear those jeans!). You can even shoot short videos with it.

Marie

Speaking of shopping....I don't know what to wear!! :teeth:

I can't wait to go shopping!!

Seriously though, what are you doing for footwear (dinners excluded)? I'm not quite sure what to wear/bring/buy for excursion days. I'm imagining we will have some beach time and then some exploring time. I'm perplexed on the best footwear to have! What are you all bringing?

Love the duct tape ideas! I hadn't thought of that (boy do I have a lot to do in the next month!!)

What do you think of the packing lists that are around on the internet? Never having done this before I have no clue what to pack!!

Thanks, again, for letting me ask the "newbie" questions!!

Kindly,
Meg

PS. Doingitagain, I just noticed you're from Minnesota!! Me too! And yes, I sound just like in the movie "Fargo"!!! (dontja kno :rotfl2: )

40Mom said:
Seriously though, what are you doing for footwear (dinners excluded)? I'm not quite sure what to wear/bring/buy for excursion days. I'm imagining we will have some beach time and then some exploring time. I'm perplexed on the best footwear to have! What are you all bringing?

PS. Doingitagain, I just noticed you're from Minnesota!! Me too! And yes, I sound just like in the movie "Fargo"!!! (dontja kno :rotfl2: )

We bought special "Sea to Shore" shoes from Lands End that look like tennis shoes, but they drain water away. Just make sure whatever you bring is comfortable for shore excursions.

For packing lists, I have created my own on Excel over the years. I work on them a lot the weeks before the trip, :surfweb: then a few days before I print them out and give each person their page. It really helps so we don't forget things. I look at the lists on the web for ideas to add to my list.

I know there will be a few families from Minnesota on the cruise...welcome! :wave2:

Meg, I wear water shoes as well but not the flip flop kind because they get stuck in the sand/water and come off.

I have a Nike water sandal that looks like a slip on sandal but it is the stretchy water shoe material. I found these at sportsmart. I actually found them on a fluke both times.

Meg I got some shoes like these at Sam's http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C11SF8/102-5601854-0722529?v=glance&n=1036592 I plan to wear them around the pools and maybe to the ports. I'm trying my best to only bring 3 pr of shoes :)

I've looked over the packing lists online but I pretty much have mine set.

I am debating getting 'real' water shoes. I have been doing a lot of digging on the beaches at Costa Maya and keep coming across reviews that talk about the beaches & waters being very rocky because of all the hurricanes dragging a way tons of sand. I'm trying to keep an open mind and waiting patiently for the first double dippers to return.

Only 3 pair of shoes?!!!
Maybe you can pack for me. I always have a million shoes and way too much luggage, but I'm one of those just in case kind of people. Every cruise i do scale back a little, but still end up with too much stuff.

BethA said:
Only 3 pair of shoes?!!!
Maybe you can pack for me. I always have a million shoes and way too much luggage, but I'm one of those just in case kind of people. Every cruise i do scale back a little, but still end up with too much stuff.

My plan is to take the new pool shoes, tennis shoes, and a pr of black heels for dinner. I'm still working on not over packing for trips but I'm doing much better. You will get there :) I'm putting together interchangeable outfits & we are close to a laundry so I will do a load if necessary.

No way Charla, :worship:

Let's see, I'll wear either my comfy tennis shoes (mules so no socks to bring) or my sandals. What I don't wear will be packed with my 2 dress sandals, I need black and white because neither go will all my dresses, and my water sandals.

Clothes: At least 1 outfit a day, 3 bathing suits, plus since I change my mind all the time, I will pack at least 3 extra shorts/skorts and 5-6 shirts. I can't help it!!!

There's no laundry in sight for me on the cruise cause I know I'll be too lazy in the blue chairs on deck 4 or at the adult pool!!! Can I just throw everything out!!! No I wouldn't do that, but it is a thought! :scratchin

The way I cut down-the guys wear the same outfit all week. It makes it soooo much easier! ;)

Actually, they are bringing their suits and then 1 pr. of khakis (each, geesh I wouldn't make them wear the same ones!) and then a few polo shirts for dinner.

Lorie - The BC's Beaches and Cream is like an old diner, however it is very small, with a few booths and tables with a wrap around counter. There are tables outside by the pool. I'm sure we'll have plenty of room.

RCBA- My DH would only recommend an Olympus camera. He has researched many and has found the best cameras for the price are Olympus. The Stylus is nice and small if it will fit your budget.

Got to help us make it to 100 pages! :goodvibes
Charla- DDD is the Double Dip Dieters. We are each trying to lose 2 pounds a week up to the cruise. Please join us! Also, I secind the coolpix. I have one and it is a great size and takes nice pictures :thumbsup2
Meg- I wore my Nike strap runners all day on the ship last cruise and water shoes on CC and nicer sandals with my dinner outfits. This cruise I will add tennis shoes for the ruins tour and heels (yuck!) for formal and semi formal nights ( I hope that the black looks okay as I have a 4E width foot and it was all I could find that was comfortable!.) It has been years since I wore heels. So, if you see a pooh sized lady falling off of her heels, could you please help me back up? :blush:
DDD's- what a difference a day makes! Today I weighed again ( I felt a little skinnier) and I was down 2.5 pounds! pixiedust:

Was wondering if anyone knows if I can order a special wedding cake while on the ship. We will be celebrating my mom and dad's 50th anniversary. That is what the cruise is for, but there actual anniversary is not until December. We picked this time so that we could all go and my dad's health is not good because of a form of cancer he has. They have never had a wedding cake and we are wanting to get a wedding cake for the cruise. Not just the regular small cake they give for special occasions. Any ideas?

Jeff- I don't know the answer, but someone had posted a 1-800 number for DCL on another thread. You may want to call ahead and see if you can arrange it. Good luck! 1-800-951-3532

Please post the response to the wedding cake here. We are cruising to celebrate my parents' 50th anniversary also-it is in July.

Thanks.
Beth

Good morning everyone! Welcome to all of our newcomers! Can't wait to meet everyone.

I like hearing what others are packing. I always over pack. I am also one of those 'what if' people. We usually pack a small suitcase for shoes alone! Can't imagine having just three pair. I'm actually envious, I just can't do it. We also dress up for the formal nights and this year will be bringing pirate costumes too! I have bought a lot of our stuff from Ebay and I also love Kohl's. I even got our soft sided cooler at Kohl's. I never do laundry on the ship but may let DCL do some laundry since we are going to inlaws after the cruise for a few days. I read on another cruise thread about one family with two children who only bring carry on luggage. I can't imagine. We usually have two large suitcases, two small suitcases and a garment bag for the formal and dressier clothes. Like I said, I always overpack!

They will do a small cake for birthdays or anniversaries, but it isn't fancy like a wedding cake. However, since they do weddings/receptions on board there must be someway to order one.

Just carry on luggage :eek: We all bring the maximum allowed for flights/ship. 2 Suitcases, 1 carry on, and the Personal item of course that is times 3. I also will be bringing our 6 largest pieces of luggage. We took the nice sets last time. Not again, the smaller ones that we checked barely held anything. I'm not going for the matching again!!! I need more space.

I am seriously in need of luggage!!! I have a feeling we'll be in need of lots of space!!!

Thanks for the shoe update!!

Kindly,
Meg

HI,
Glad to see some of you are compulsive list makers like me! Drives my kids crazy when I hand them a list, but I know they couldn't live without it :rotfl2:
I always over pack too! Don't forget the over the door shoe hanger, it's wonderful!
I spoke with DCL today and they we're able to rebook my lost palo ressies and excursions. They said the teen sunset cruise in Coz is canceled since we are tendering and leaving at 5:30. My DD's are not happy about that!
Whe is the first DD cruise? I can't wait to hear about the theme dining nights schedule.
Also I'm still rying to find out current Coz and CM snorkeling reports after hurricane.
Wendy :)

bairdbeth said:
Minnie7701- 2 miles a day is great! Keep up the good work :banana:
Tranquilwaters- Is your 10 year old a DD or DS. I have a DD(10) who would love another e-mail pal (girl or boy) or my friend has a DS(10) who is going and would e-mail.
:wave:

BAIRDBETH.
MY KIDS ARE 16(DS) 10(DS) AND 2 (DD) THE PRINCESS!!
LOOKS LIKE I BETTER GET SHOPPING! I HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING TO PREPARE FOR THIS CRUISE. I HAVE 3 BIRTHDAYS THIS MONTH TO DEAL WITH , THEN AFTER THAT I CAN START CRUISE SHOPPING.
WHERE IS EVERYONE MEETING AT 4:30? AFTER DRILL...

JULIE

Meg- I got new luggage last year at Sears. They have pretty good prices and all of mine have wheels that roll smoothly :banana:
Julie- would your DS like to e-mail a girl? ( she does love soccer-plays goalie and swims year round) or would you like me to get my friends e-mail for her DS(10)?

Compusive shopper? Me? I have been to Target and Eckerd and have been stocking up on the essentials. Small roll of clear duct tape, travel highlighters, immodium, Tylenol-jr and adult, travel size tide, temparin- for lost fillings or crowns-can't be too safe!, sunblock, and extras of all toiletries. I have purchased heels ( have I said yuck before?) sandals, tennis shoes and water shoes. I have started on the clothes- 2 more night outfits to go and 1 more swimsuit. DD has all clothes,swimwear and shoes needed. DD has pirate costume. I have to send the pirate shirt I bought back as they sent the wrong size. Almost ready!

Can you say 14 MORE DAYS OF SCHOOL!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter