• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ª"˜˜ª¤.¸Team August 2013 Thread! (Part 2)¸.¤ª˜˜"ª&#9733

TNixon123 said:
Need advice from those with little ones who have been to WDW with August crowds. Our DS is VERY active and turns 2 this week. Many have told us to get a harness to keep him close. We keep a close eye on him so its not like we are neglecting parents. LOL. I just wonder if they are right and the crowds may be overwhelming and a harness would be for our peace of mind as well.

Will we look like the bad parents towing a toddler or is common place there?

I have seen lots of those harness things...they are great. There are a few times when it will be that crowded (park opening, fireworks, parades) when people will be very very close to you. But for the most part walking around, as long as you keep a VERY close eye on him, ypu should be fine. I would want it just for my own peace of mind. It only takes a split second to lose a child in a crowd and there are going to be crowds. Just bring it and see how you feel when you are there. Better safe than sorry :)

I have seen lots of those harness things...they are great. There are a few times when it will be that crowded (park opening, fireworks, parades) when people will be very very close to you. But for the most part walking around, as long as you keep a VERY close eye on him, ypu should be fine. I would want it just for my own peace of mind. It only takes a split second to lose a child in a crowd and there are going to be crowds. Just bring it and see how you feel when you are there. Better safe than sorry :)

Good point. I hadn't even considered the thick crowds during fireworks!

Need advice from those with little ones who have been to WDW with August crowds. Our DS is VERY active and turns 2 this week. Many have told us to get a harness to keep him close. We keep a close eye on him so its not like we are neglecting parents. LOL. I just wonder if they are right and the crowds may be overwhelming and a harness would be for our peace of mind as well.

You do what's best for your family of course, there are always some children on leashes, when our dd was 3 we took our first trip to WDW, we used only our stroller. We let her walk when there were less crowded areas and kept her in the stroller when it was busy. That year we went at the beginning of August and crowds were worse in the early evenings. Every other trip to Disney was at the end of August and crowds were noticeable the first week but the last week (end of August) was nice and slow, we even got a few days of Halloween decor at MK at the beginning of sept in 2011!!!

You won't look like bad parents at all! The ones we think of as bad are the ones who are heard yelling at their kids while at the parks ;-) some parents need a time out lol!

When we took our older boys to WDW in 2006, they were 3 and 1 1/2 and we did take the harnesses that look like little backpacks. We only used them once though. It was fairly easy to keep track of the boys--we used the stroller or held their hands/carried them in big crowds. Our third son was-- still is!-- very active. He is active to the point that we didn't even take a stroller when he was 2 because he would have wanted to push it, NOT sit in it. I am happy to say that in Aug crowds and without a harness, we never lost him! I did carry him in a sling during long lines or when we left after fireworks.

That being said, if a harness makes YOU feel better, go for it! I don't think anyone will judge!

Haha we've discussed this. Pre parenting I thought it was child abuse humiliation lol. Now as a parent of an extremely impulsive, hyperactive PRESCHOOLER.....I plan to harness that 4 year old up! He's already tried it on and he likes it bc it is a puppy and like a snug book bag- but it is hysterical looking because ......he is 4.......and big for his age.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

AHH! 21 days! I can hardly handle the excitement! Check out what I found at Costco today for 8 dollars!! ....brb... Watching the whole set to tide me over for the next little while!

DED07EDB-574C-4F44-BB93-63C1AFB06AB3-13157-00001202BFE33256-1.jpg

When DD was little, we would use a harness whenever we went somewhere with extremely large crowds - including Disney. Those things are the best things since sliced bread!! My DD was always the independent type who would rather push a stroller instead of ride in it. So for my piece of mind & for her safety, she wore it. When she would start to argue about it being on, I would tell her it was so **I** wouldn't get lost. She accepted that. :rotfl2:

This will be our first trip back together since then. Now she is nearly 14. Do you think she will let me put one of those on her to keep her away from the "cute boys" she's hoping to meet?? :lovestruc

The August FB page has decided to help ward off the Disney Blues to just continue the group for those going August 2014 it is only 300 + days away right!!

I like this idea! Of course, I only post here because I don't use Facebook:rolleyes1. However, I might set up an account just to have access to the few things that interest me like the Disney groups. We cancelled this years trip for puppy but this is the first August we aren't going to Disney in years (and hence why I am still hanging around in here lol).

I don't know what we'll be doing about Disney in the future. It's been two trips a year for several years but dh is now saying he wants to do the summer at my parents cottage, and winter trips to Disney. We'll have to see what the future holds.

Pigletto, I'm glad you're still hanging out -- it wouldn't be the same in here without you!

I have moved my collection of stuff I don't want to forget for our trip into the small suitcase which is now sitting open in the dining room. My son saw it and got so excited he decided to add to it, so now it looks pretty full. So I also have the carry-on out! I may have to use the small suitcase as our second carry on and buy another larger suitcase... Any tips on where to buy inexpensive yet durable suitcases?

We are down to 20 days! 20 days ago I was getting settled into the summer camp routine -- that was like yesterday! It's totally around the corner, and while I am so excited I can barely stand it I am also that much closer to being back to full time classes -- which is a little scary! I don't feel ready yet.

But I shall focus on the positive! 20 days! :cool1::goodvibes:thumbsup2:upsidedow

Hi guys!! You're getting close!!
Guess what I am doing? My husband has his laptop hooked up to our giant tv and he's going through hundreds and hundreds of photos and videos on our computer right now. I am watching my four year old (who is now 9) ride the Carousel.:( He's got this little baby voice and his baby teeth and the sights and sounds of Disney are in the background. It's killing me:(

Sigh.. it won't be too long. Our surprise trip is in 139 days!! Oh my goodness.. I am now watching a video of the Haunted Mansion!!! (and no we didn't use flash;) )

"Is this haunted room actually stretching??!!!".. and I hear a little voice say "Mama.. there really isn't a way out!!! Hold me!!!!":rotfl:

Sigh.

Ahhhh....I would be going crazy lol. But the fact that your trip is very close, I am sure it's easier to handle. And when we all get home and have the post-disney blues, you will be happily planning away!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Pigletto, I'm glad you're still hanging out -- it wouldn't be the same in here without you!

I have moved my collection of stuff I don't want to forget for our trip into the small suitcase which is now sitting open in the dining room. My son saw it and got so excited he decided to add to it, so now it looks pretty full. So I also have the carry-on out! I may have to use the small suitcase as our second carry on and buy another larger suitcase... Any tips on where to buy inexpensive yet durable suitcases?

We are down to 20 days! 20 days ago I was getting settled into the summer camp routine -- that was like yesterday! It's totally around the corner, and while I am so excited I can barely stand it I am also that much closer to being back to full time classes -- which is a little scary! I don't feel ready yet.

But I shall focus on the positive! 20 days! :cool1::goodvibes:thumbsup2:upsidedow

Is there a TJ Maxx or Marshall's near you (or even a Burlington coat factory)? They have great deals on good luggage as long as you aren't looking for an entire matched set.

I noticed the bigger suitcase my two older boys just shared is looking very beat up. And I am not sure how "cool" it is to be using an old black suitcase when you are a teen lol. I think I am going to get them large rolling duffles. I was stalking the carousel belts trying to spot the perfect bag for a teen boy that will last and be appropriate into the college years. Anyone know of a good brand/type? Of course I really think I am just looking for more reasons to shop before this trip ;)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I have a FitBit but it doesn't charge or measure your sleep. I wonder how much walking Ill do while I'm there? ;)
I have the Fit Bit and love it. I'm hoping to get at least 10,000 steps a day while on vacation. I love how it tells you how much you've walked all summer. I lost 25lbs for this trip and am hoping the Fit bit will help me keep it off.

Speaking as a person who was lost in WDW at the tender age of 3, I am alllll about the harness. I vividly remember I was crying and wondering why no one was helping me, a little girl who was lost.

I have the Fit Bit and love it. I'm hoping to get at least 10,000 steps a day while on vacation. I love how it tells you how much you've walked all summer. I lost 25lbs for this trip and am hoping the Fit bit will help me keep it off.

You'll definitely get 10,000 a day at Disney! I work in retail and I can get 10,000 from a five hour shift on the floor. I'm excited to see how many I can get at Disney. If anyone with a Fitbit wants to add me on the website so we can motivate each other, shoot me a message!

When our son was 3, we liked having a harness backpack at WDW. Our son was active, too, we felt better with it, and he mostly enjoyed it. They are very common at WDW, so you won't feel out of place. Between that and a stroller, you should be all set.

Same... I have to bring my own pillow. My DH says I should leave it home this year so we have more room in our suitcase, but I can't do it. I sleep bad enough on vacation as it is.

Pack it in a space saver bag. Keeps it fresh too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter