“Wow, Disney is Far Far Away” A Single Mom’s Road Trip to Disney: June 2013 TR

Love your trip report. It is awesome that you were able to manage a few extra surprises. I know how it feels to loose a dad at a young age. I was 13 when my dad died. Two years later my mom was able to take me to WDW and I loved it. It was just the two of us and she made sure I had fun.

Sorry about your dad. On one of the bus trips to a park, I heard another lady say she started bringing her children after she lost her husband. Some people in my support group did too.

It has been a nice place for us to make good memories together.

:rotfl2: that kindle.

Aww what a cute outfit for Animal Kingdom your DD is wearing.

So nice that you all enjoy the animal trails. So many people skip them. :confused3

Oh thank goodness I didn't have to wait for the surprise reveal. :laughing:

Nice score at Tusker House especially since breakfast food is acceptable at any time of day. :thumbsup2

I'm so glad this trip is turning out so great for you. :goodvibes

I am joining in! Found your report today.

It sounds like you all are having a great trip! Your kids are so adorable!

I am sorry for your loss and I give you big kudos for driving!

My husband and I live in Western KY and drove to Disney earlier this year. That was a looooooong drive!

Keep up the good work! I know you will finish this report. :thumbsup2

I'm loving reading your TR. I am driving to Disney in September with my DD8 and my niece who will turn 8 during our trip.princess: :drive:We are coming from Kansas City so ours will be a little farther than you but we are doing it in 2 days. I have so many surprises up my sleeve for them when we get there but am getting some great ideas from you as well! :thumbsup2 Can't wait to read the rest!

:rotfl2: that kindle.

Aww what a cute outfit for Animal Kingdom your DD is wearing.

So nice that you all enjoy the animal trails. So many people skip them. :confused3

Oh thank goodness I didn't have to wait for the surprise reveal. :laughing:

Nice score at Tusker House especially since breakfast food is acceptable at any time of day. :thumbsup2

I'm so glad this trip is turning out so great for you. :goodvibes

:rotfl2: The Kindle was the star. You haven't seen anything yet.

I guess other people are maybe running to Everest or Kali River Rapids. We don't ride either of those. We have had trouble the last couple of trips getting to the Asia trail. I think the Discovery and Oasis areas are their favorites though. Dd loves to talk to the CMs about the animals and ask them questions. She loves to do that everywhere. We were at an aquarium in Virginia once and she talked to a worker for 30 minutes since there was no one else there.

We have done Tusker House twice before for breakfast, but I could't get a breakfast reservation this time. So it was great to be able to have breakfast food.

I didn't realize how much dd would like the "surprises". Once I decided to keep BBB a secret, I figured I'd hold the TS meals back as well, especially since I was paying out of pocket.

I am joining in! Found your report today.

It sounds like you all are having a great trip! Your kids are so adorable!

I am sorry for your loss and I give you big kudos for driving!

My husband and I live in Western KY and drove to Disney earlier this year. That was a looooooong drive!

Keep up the good work! I know you will finish this report. :thumbsup2

:welcome:

It was a great trip, thanks. And thank you for your kind words.

Oh, my! :worship: That is a long drive. We drove to Kentucky from NC once to pick my stepchildren.

I'm loving reading your TR. I am driving to Disney in September with my DD8 and my niece who will turn 8 during our trip.princess: :drive:We are coming from Kansas City so ours will be a little farther than you but we are doing it in 2 days. I have so many surprises up my sleeve for them when we get there but am getting some great ideas from you as well! :thumbsup2 Can't wait to read the rest!

:wave:

That sounds like so much fun! I hope it goes well.

Day 6, 4th park day, part 3: A wild ride and Returning to a Missed Favorite

When I left off we were off to use our Safari fast passes. The line looked frightening, but the sign the CM was holding a sign that read 10 minutes. They had to work hard to guard this line. People were trying to get in earlier than the time on their fast passes would allow. It was about 12:15 so we were in our window. They really moved the line. It wasn’t long before we were there.

I love this ride. It’s never the same twice. Some of my pictures were blurry. I’ll only post the good ones.

The upside down tree

After the ride we continued exploring and came across the flamingos. Dd was able to talk to the CM and ask lots of questions about them.

We also saw these beautiful birds. Ds recognized them from Go Diego Go!

Eventually we made our way to Camp Minnie Mickey. First on the agenda was the Festival of the Lion King show. We’d missed it during the last trip.

We made it to the line and we could see the doors from where we were. It was pretty hot, but ds and dd found ways to deal with the heat. I love these large misting fans in AK.

A few of my pictures from the show.

Up next, Animal Kingdom continued: a couple of firsts.

Day 6, 4th park day, part 3: Trying a couple of new things in AK

After the show we returned to Camp Minnie Mickey. We got in line to meet Chip and Dale. Here’s ds waiting. Anyone surprised? :rotfl2:

These two are a lot of fun. Last year we met them separately at Garden Grill and they were great. Here, they are together and they are just like the Chip and Dale in the cartoons. They do take frequent breaks. They took two while we were in line, but instead of being gone for 15 or 20 minutes, they are gone for 2 or 3 minutes. I think I prefer that method or a set schedule where you know the breaks ahead of time. I don’t mind getting to a line and finding out it’s closed, but standing in line for 20 minutes only to get close and find out at the last second that the character is going on a 15 minute break is frustrating. But I digress. Here are our Chip and Dale pictures. Ds continued to be outgoing.

We asked about Pocahontas after that, but her line would be closed until 3:20. We had never seen the Jammin’ Jungle Parade and since we were still going strong, I wanted to see what kind of spot we could get along the route. Dd said she wanted to see it too, so we decided we wouldn’t see Pocahontas this time. The parade basically makes a big circle around the tree of life from looking at the map, so we headed that way. It was about 2:45 so we took our time. On the way we stopped for a snack. Dd got a Mickey bar, ds had a cup of ice cream which he and dd ended up sharing when the Mickey Bar melted while dd was in the bathroom. I had my favorite cold snack.

I have to have one of these at Disney. As far as Disney goes, this is my "Dole Whip".

We found a spot with an ice cream cart, a store, and a bathroom in sight. And it was under a shade. This was really different than waiting for an MK parade. I parked ds in a front row seat, and while he played on the Kindle, I sat on the bench next to the wall. Here’s ds waiting. He's laid back in his stroller with the shade pulled back, a clip on fan running and has a tablet playing his favorite alphabet game (that doesn't need the net). Someone passed by and said, “Wow, can we switch places?” :rotfl:

The parade eventually started and we discovered we were actually sitting at the end of the route. When it started, a lot of people ran over to watch, but we just waited rather than struggle to see over all of those people. We’d have a great view when it came around. I left that bench and sat on the ground between the children right behind the tape the CMs had put down.

I will say now I absolutely loved this parade. The vehicles were great as were the dancers and the music. The photos continue in the next post

Great update! Someday I would like to go to see the festival of the lion king. In a big fan of the lion king and looks like such fun to watch! Kilomanjaro safaris looks pretty cool too. I just don't know how my allergies will fare with all the trees around :( But overall AK looks fun!

I love your trip report and the children are adorable. It's making me excited for our trip in a couple of weeks.

Haha I get so frustrated when people try to get in the fastpass line early. Especially when they just stand in the way while they wait.

Ahh Fesitval of the Lion King. What an amazing show.

Haha Kindle!!!! You could start a game... Count the Kindle!

Glad you liked the parade. It's a pretty good one and very unique.

Great update...
We have never done the parade at AK but I hope we will be able to on this trip. Looks fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter