Disney Streaming Profitable

Hubalorian

Mouseketeer
Disney is reporting that there streaming services is now profitable! Do we think this will change how other aspects of their business model are handled? Do we think everything will be pretty status quo for now on. Basically, does streaming profitability make any other Disney experience more enjoyable or ease the burden on the Theme Parks to be as profitable?

Yeah, that’s funny. Just like when we were told everything was being cut and prices increased because they were building Disney Shanghai? There were never any give backs when that park opened to great success.

Don't forget linear is slowly shrinking to nothingness. The margins on streaming are no where near the hey day of fees that cable companies paid. They still have a long way to go to make that up before any impact on other parts of the company. On the more positive side, that part of the company getting healthy should ensure that the promised $60B in park improvements will get spent.

It's profitable because they are raising prices and continuing to cut content while adding more advertising. Iger recently announced that they're cutting Marvel movies and shows by at least 50%. They'll probably do the same with their other IP.

Increasing prices while reducing content works in the short term, but is a long term recipe for disaster.

Not to mention they give away these Disney Plus memberships with phone companies etc plans. It makes money because it costs us more money, and they reduce shows etc
The phone companies pay Disney for those "free" subs that they give us. I'm sure at a significant discount but they do pay.

It's becoming profitable because they are pricing the service more accordingly. They under priced the service originally in order to gain subscribers as fast as possible. They also released significantly more content on the service than was sustainable based on the revenue coming in from the service.

I haven't had any interest in D+ for a couple months at least. Has anything come out worth a look?

I haven't had any interest in D+ for a couple months at least. Has anything come out worth a look?

It depends on what you're into, but I have had some good stuff. Star Warrs Bad Batch for one, plus Tales of the Empire - short but good. I rather enjoyed Renegade Nell. Also, and while this is not for me, X-Men '97 has been hugely popular (for some unknown reason people like X-Men.... 🙂 ). There's also a new season of Monsters at Work, but that also aired on The Disney Channel this time.

Last edited:
It depends on what you're into, but I have had soem good stuff. Star Warrs Bad Batch for one, plus Tales of the Empire - short but good. I rather enjoyed Renegade Nell. Also, and while this is not for me, X-Men '97 has been hugely popular (for some unknown reason people like X-Men.... 🙂 ). There's also a new season o fmonster at Work, but that also aired on The Disney Channel this time.

Yea I keep up enough on here of discussed releases-nothing interesting above for our group anyway. Bout what I figured thanks.

Getting harder and harder to justify D+ by the day. I have all the real Star Wars on Blu Ray, so other than the good Marvel content before end game……I am not using D+ much at all.

I think the company needs to have all their lines of business profitable. Otherwise why are they doing it? If they get the streaming profitable that is good news for the whole company.
I personally watch Disney+ the most followed by AppleTV+. It will be interesting how Disney+ evolves. Like most people I think the hours I can spend in front of a TV is limited. A few great shows is preferable to a bunch of bad shows. Likewise Disney+ continuing to show their blockbuster movies not long after they run in the theatre works for me.

I think the company needs to have all their lines of business profitable. Otherwise why are they doing it? If they get the streaming profitable that is good news for the whole company.
I personally watch Disney+ the most followed by AppleTV+. It will be interesting how Disney+ evolves. Like most people I think the hours I can spend in front of a TV is limited. A few great shows is preferable to a bunch of bad shows. Likewise Disney+ continuing to show their blockbuster movies not long after they run in the theatre works for me.
You are not alone in watching Disney the most, across all their properties, Disney has a decent lead on all others on TV Usage:

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2024/05/14/nielsen-ceo-karthik-rao-on-viewing-trends.html

1715695986389.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter