The Widow, Spinster, Missus and her Boy Toy celebrate new beginnings at WDW - Let's go on a safari! 6/11

It was the last day of the trip for Jenny and Michael. They would be flying home today. It was checkout day from the cabin and Jill and I were switching over to the AKL Jambo House.

Originally Jenny and Michael had made plans for their local friend to pick them up from the Cabin, take them by her place and show them around before taking them to the airport. When we woke up we found the following text.

“We are so so sick. We’re going to try to sleep until the last minute then Uber”

That was at around 8:15AM.

The night before, Jill and I had set 8AM as our ideal departure time, and 9AM as the last resort time. We ended up being out of the cabin by about 8:37AM. By 8:50AM she was waiting up front with the car and the bellman and I were just exiting the lobby.

We had booked an ILL for Guardians for 10:45-11:45, and we got to AKL just after 9AM. We dropped off our bags with Bell Services, and headed out to Epcot. We had plenty of time to ride Spaceship Earth before our Guardians time.

z24WDW0405TD01.jpg

z24WDW0405TD02.jpg

z24WDW0405TD03.jpg

z24WDW0405TD04.jpg

z24WDW0405TD05.jpg

z24WDW0405TD06.jpg

z24WDW0405TD07.jpg

Then we went to Guardians for our ILL. When we were boarding I got a text from a tenant in a different building who also told me that the exterior lights didn’t come on the night before. OK that’s weird for both buildings not to have the lights come on.

We got the song “Once Way or Another”, but our picture somehow did not come through, we got someone else’s picture. BooHoo!

After we got off the ride, my tenant texted me that the washer and dryer were not working either. That’s when I realized that it was not a bad sensor, but that the House Meters had been turned off. I won’t go into it, but I’d been having difficulties with So Cal Edison trying to transfer the buildings into my name. I had not found one sales rep who was at all cooperative.

We sat in as quiet a place as we could find, and I called Edison. I was on the phone for 40 minutes with them. Eventually we started walking towards France as the call was winding down. Jill took these pictures of the topiaries since I was otherwise engaged.

z24WDW0405TD08.JPG

z24WDW0405TD09.JPG

z24WDW0405TD10.JPG

z24WDW0405TD11.JPG

z24WDW0405TD12_fyB9jhV2kooH8jEodxfzZL.JPG

I was on the phone for about 45 minutes total. We even had to sit down to finish the call before we could ride Remy. I was able to restore the power to the tenant’s House meters within a few hours of the phone call ending, but there is another matter that is still pending. I hope that it is resolved by the time I get to this point in the TR. Spoiler alert. It’s not solved, they still owe me a crap ton of money. I need to submit the documents one more time and tell them that at this point, “I will be contacting my lawyer.”

Jill and I got in line for Ratatouille and waited quite a while until we rode the ride. We grabbed some slushy drinks and headed around the world.

z24WDW0405TD13.jpg

We got as far as America before I got a text from Su-Lynn and Steve that they were headed our way. Here’s a quick picture of the Tiana Topiary.

z24WDW0405TD14.jpg

Then we met up briefly with Su-Lynn and Steve in Japan.

z24WDW0405TD15.jpg

z24WDW0405TD16.webp

Along the way we saw Miss Piggy and Kermit.

z24WDW0405TD17.jpg

By this time we had received the text that our room at the AK was ready, so we headed over there and took a nap.

z24WDW0405TD18.jpg

z24WDW0405TD19.jpg

z24WDW0405TD20.jpg

Since we were staying Concierge Level, there wasn’t much of a view. Hopefully that will be different in December. We’re staying at Kidani with a Savannah view.

z24WDW0405TD21.jpg

z24WDW0405TD22.jpg

z24WDW0405TD23.jpg

z24WDW0405TD24.jpg

z24WDW0405TD26.jpg

This was the view outside of our room.

z24WDW0405TD27.jpg

This is the Concierge Lounge

z24WDW0405TD28.jpg

Lobby view from the CL.

z24WDW0405TD29.jpg

Then we went to Jiko for dinner. It wasn't a long enough nap. I was comatose at dinner.

z24WDW0405TD30.jpg

z24WDW0405TD31.jpg

We split the Jiko filet with mac and cheese. I couldn’t even finish the half portion, I was just so tired. I took it back to the room, but never finished it. There was just too much food all week.

z24WDW0405TD32.jpg

z24WDW0405TD33.jpg

When I got back to the room, I went right to bed. I had an online meeting at 8PM Pacific time, so I set an alarm for 10:50PM Eastern time, and went right to sleep. I did wake right up and made the meeting. I was still pretty tired and I looked like it too. The meeting ended just after midnight and I decided that I deserved to take a bath. After the tub in the Cabin that I could not get to work, this was a refreshing treat.

Then I went back to sleep for at least another five hours or so.

z24WDW0405TD34.jpg

Last edited:
Just "NO" I don't want to eat anything in the hot tub! :laughing:
I guess, technically, if you eat in a hot tub and spill food in it... it's soup.
It was the last day of the trip for Jenny and Michael. They would be flying home today.
Last days are always the worst days.
“We are so so sick. We’re going to try to sleep until the last minute then Uber”
Oh, no! Hope they recovered quickly. :(
Interesting shot. :)
Second best animatronic/mannequin on the ride.
the exterior lights didn’t come on the night before. OK that’s weird for both buildings not to have the lights come on.
Again???
After we got off the ride, my tenant texted me that the washer and dryer were not working either. That’s when I realized that it was not a bad sensor, but that the House Meters had been turned off. I won’t go into it, but I’d been having difficulties with So Cal Edison trying to transfer the buildings into my name. I had not found one sales rep who was at all cooperative.
:headache: 😡
I called Edison. I was on the phone for 40 minutes with them.
:sad2:
meters within a few hours of the phone call ending, but there is another matter that is still pending. I hope that it is resolved by the time I get to this point in the TR. Spoiler alert. It’s not solved, they still owe me a crap ton of money. I need to submit the documents one more time and tell them that at this point, “I will be contacting my lawyer.”
This is getting ridiculous. You don't need this on vacation. Heck, you don't need this if you weren't on vacation!
I'll take either right or left. :drinking1
Interesting angle on this one. I like it. :)
Proof you met up! :)
Along the way we saw Miss Piggy and Kermit.
Huh. I don't think I've seen that one. And seems a bit out of place in Epcot? :confused3
By this time we had received the text that our room at the AK was ready, so we headed over there and took a nap.
Nap...

I aspire to being able to go to Disney and take a nap! :laughing:
I see what you did there. ;)
Since we were staying Concierge Level, there wasn’t much of a view.
Really? Huh. I'd have thought that it would almost guarantee you a view.
Yussss...
This was the view outside of our room.
That lobby is soooo well done.
This is the Concierge Lounge
Thanks for that. Never seen it. :)
Then we went to Jiko for dinner. It wasn't a long enough nap. I was comatose at dinner.
Oh dear... :hug:
Wow, that looks good!
We split the Jiko filet with mac and cheese. I couldn’t even finish the half portion, I was just so tired. I took it back to the room, but never finished it.
And to this day, there is a piece of filet, roaming the halls at AKL.

This looks just like the real thing!
À la vôtre!

We also met up with my niece and nephew (separately!) who was visiting Epcot with their band. It was nice to briefly see them!
We split the Jiko filet with mac and cheese. I couldn’t even finish the half portion, I was just so tired. I took it back to the room, but never finished it. There was just too much food all week.

z24WDW0405TD32.jpg
It was soooo good though and splitting was the right call. We didn't like the weird butter that came with the bread. The mac and cheese is great but I miss when it was served WITH the steak and all the meat juices mixed with the mac and cheese...yum!

Jill in CO

I am sorry to hear of your wife's passing, I have seen you two on these boards for you sharing your fantastic adventures together.

I can not wait to read this one. It looks like you have some terrific friends and had one heck of a time togther.

Cabins and V&A, wow, very special.

👍 :earsgirl: 🙏

Rocket is probably my favorite Marvel Character, so I couldn’t resist this photo of him and Groot.
I love Rocket too. His backstory is heartbreaking though.
Once it was over, we headed out of the park and back to the resort. We were going to have company this afternoon. Pamela and her Mom, JJ were going to come see us. Longtime readers might remember them from several cruises that we have taken together. But first some obligatory Photopass shots.
Cute!
And then we caught a bus back to the hotel. I don’t remember if we waited very long, but I don’t think we did. According to my photos we were back in the Cabin before 1:30PM. Not bad after a 12:00 show!
Perfect timing!
We spent the afternoon chit chatting before Jill and I each went to take showers and get ready. The ladies offered to give us a ride to the GF so we didn't have to pay for an Uber to get there which was very sweet. Pamela went to get the car while JJ took some pictures of us on the way. This one came out the best, so that’s the one I’m showing you.
The fireworks dress looks so good on you!
Every bite was different in flavor and texture, and they were all so tasty! The check came in this fancy wooden box. I guess to hide the damages! It was definitely an expensive meal, but so worth it! I was happy to have a ton of funds on my Disney Rewards Card that I had been saving for a long long time because it certainly eased the blow of the total cost!
What an utterly sublime expereince. We have had the pleasure of dining at V&A's twice (2010 and 2019) and that final bill is not for the faint of heart. It is an incredible experience though.
After she passed, he told me that the offer still stood, and it was such a generous offer, I was stunned. So with a VIP tour today our plan was to start the tour at 1:30PM in Epcot and finish just in time for the fireworks at MK. After much planning, today was the day!
What a generous and thoughtful gift!
We were going to ride Tower of Terror, but it had a 100 minute wait for the lightning lane. So we headed over to Slinky Dog.
100 mins in the Lightning Lane! Goodness!
Jenny and I had to pee, which was practically the story of this TR, but I’m just not writing about every time we had to stop. By the time we came out of the potty, the ride was back up and we were able to get on it with a minimal wait!
Yay!
He led us into Navi River Journey and soon we were traveling through that world. Before we boarded our vessels, he took each of our orders for our favorite drinks at Starbucks, and promised to have tasty beverages for us once we finished our ride on FoP.
Service with a smile! :)
He took us up on the Lightning Lane and once we reached the front of the line, he said goodbye and promised to meet us at the end. The ride was wonderful as always and as promised when we got out he had these tasty beverages for us, or at least this was mine.
Yum! I am partial to either the vanilla cream cold brew or the "pink drink".
Jill and I pushed on, we rode the Wedway People Mover with Seth.
Very nice! What an incredible day you had. :)

Last days are always the worst days.
When you have a short trip, definitely.
Oh, no! Hope they recovered quickly. :(
I don't think they did. I think Jenny was still feeling cruddy a week or two later.
Second best animatronic/mannequin on the ride.
I know the best one is your dad.
This is getting ridiculous. You don't need this on vacation. Heck, you don't need this if you weren't on vacation!
Folks have your affairs in order, like power bills in both names. They did actually finally refund the money but they issued the check to Fran. It took a few minutes at the bank to convince them to put the money in my account, but they eventually did it. Now it's gone! But my credit card balances are lower!
I'll take either right or left. :drinking1
They are both good!
Interesting angle on this one. I like it. :)
Thanks! I really don't think about my photos as much as I should. I'm just lucky that I come up with a few good ones! :laughing:
Proof you met up! :)
::yes::
Huh. I don't think I've seen that one. And seems a bit out of place in Epcot? :confused3
Well they have most all the characters in topiary form since it's the "Epcot Flower and Garden Festival."
Nap...

I aspire to being able to go to Disney and take a nap! :laughing:
Well if you tour like I do, sometimes you don't have a choice.
I see what you did there. ;)
:thumbsup2
Really? Huh. I'd have thought that it would almost guarantee you a view.
Because the Concierge rooms are located within proximity to the lounge, most don't have a view since the lounge is closer to the front of the resort.
That lobby is soooo well done.
Thanks for that. Never seen it. :)
Yeah, it's really nice. I've been lucky enough to stay CL several times there.
And to this day, there is a piece of filet, roaming the halls at AKL.
:lmao:

This looks just like the real thing!
:laughing: You're right!
À la vôtre!

We also met up with my niece and nephew (separately!) who was visiting Epcot with their band. It was nice to briefly see them!
Cheers! Forgot out that part. Oops!
It was soooo good though and splitting was the right call.
Yes, it definitely was the right call.
We didn't like the weird butter that came with the bread.
I forgot that the butter was weird, comatose and all.
bread. The mac and cheese is great but I miss when it was served WITH the steak and all the meat juices mixed with the mac and cheese...yum!

touching! :eek:

I am sorry to hear of your wife's passing, I have seen you two on these boards for you sharing your fantastic adventures together.
Thank you very much for your condolences. We had some pretty fun adventures together!
I can not wait to read this one. It looks like you have some terrific friends and had one heck of a time togther.
We did have a great time! It's starting to wrap up, as I'm getting to the last full day.
Cabins and V&A, wow, very special.

Yes it was! we wanted to make this one super memorable.

I love Rocket too. His backstory is heartbreaking though.

I know. That third movie was hearbreaking.

The fireworks dress looks so good on you!

Thanks! I love that dress!

What an utterly sublime expereince. We have had the pleasure of dining at V&A's twice (2010 and 2019) and that final bill is not for the faint of heart. It is an incredible experience though.

It was one of the best dining experiences that I've ever had. I can't wait to do it again, someday.....

What a generous and thoughtful gift!

I know! I was completely floored!

100 mins in the Lightning Lane! Goodness!

We were flabbergasted! The ride must have gone down at some point during the day and everyone came back to use their lightning lanes.

Service with a smile! :)

Yum! I am partial to either the vanilla cream cold brew or the "pink drink".

I seem to either get my iced coffee or hot coffee, I'm not very adventurous.

Very nice! What an incredible day you had. :)

It was!

Well it seems like forever since I’ve been here. And it kind of has been! Since I returned from my visit with my parents, I’ve had six rehearsals, two parades, and a concert. All within the span of two weeks. You may not thing that’s a lot, but when you consider that each one of these had a hour drive to and from, plus I had my regular life to deal with. Plus most of the rehearsals ended at 9:30PM so I ended up staying up until well after midnight.

Now I’m just chilling in Denver at Jill’s place so I have some time to catch up on things like Trip Reports, so expect some more updates while I’ve got downtime.

We woke up that morning to find a text from Jenny that they made it home, and still felt terrible, and that it had to be covid. This freaked me out, because I’m still a “No”vid. I travel with Covid tests now, and I had one handy. Luckily it was negative.

z24WDW0406MD01.jpg

Even though I had an exhausted evening and disjointed sleep (with the meeting and bath thrown in there) I ended up feeling pretty refreshed when the day started, after the mini Covid scare. Jill and I went to breakfast in the CL, and they had a very nice spread and Disney's version of Africa has bacon! Unlike our experience.

z24WDW0406MD02.jpg

z24WDW0406MD03.jpg

z24WDW0406MD04.JPG

Before we left the resort we walked around to some of the view points to see the animals. We didn’t take a lot of time because we knew that we would be coming back in December to stay in a Savannah view room at Kidani.

z24WDW0406MD05.jpg

z24WDW0406MD06.jpg

Then we took the bus to AK. The line for the safari was substantially less than on Wednesday, I think we waited less than an hour.

z24WDW0406MD07.jpg

z24WDW0406MD08.jpg

z24WDW0406MD09.jpg

z24WDW0406MD10.jpg

z24WDW0406MD11.jpg

z24WDW0406MD13.jpg

Nature happens! :laughing:

z24WDW0406MD14.jpg

z24WDW0406MD16.jpg

This baby elephant was born shortly before our visit, I was glad to have taken a picture of it.

z24WDW0406MD17.jpg

Who you lookin’ at?

z24WDW0406MD23.jpg

z24WDW0406MD24.jpg

And that wraps up our safari. I’ll be back with more from this day later in the week.

So pretty! I really need to check out these WDW specific rides that are new since I was there
Nice! How brilliant they had drinks and snacks at the ready!

Whoa! Hello people!

Def happy in this one! Well happy/scared?
When we asked Seth earlier about the viewing area, he told us that there were not any benches to sit on, and that it was all SRO. I asked Jill before we left the restroom if she wanted to bail on the fireworks since we had seen them two days before and she completely agreed. We were both “put a fork in me” done.
Ouch, that would be hard after a long day of touring!
Then I remembered that I had half a box of spaghetti in my owner’s locker. Probably from 2016 when we took Naked Jim to WDW, but that stuff doesn’t really go bad right?
Nahh, it doesn't go bad! your pasta creation looked good!
20K in steps on 5 hours of sleep! That's quite a combo!

Onwards!!

OK that’s weird for both buildings not to have the lights come on.
Def weird!
I'm thinking those pink flowers are pretty big, given the scale of everything
It’s not solved, they still owe me a crap ton of money. I need to submit the documents one more time and tell them that at this point, “I will be contacting my lawyer.”
this sort of thing is SO frustrating!
We grabbed some slushy drinks and headed around the world.

z24WDW0405TD13.jpg
Did you try them both? Which was better?

Yay, jets!
Lobby view from the CL.

z24WDW0405TD29.jpg
Super pretty!
We split the Jiko filet with mac and cheese.

Better sleep, even if broken hey!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter