Zebra Domes to-go at Boma?

Lyndye

Clever girl
I was wondering if anyone has ever ordered dessert to-go at a Disney restaurant? We're not actually eating there, we're eating at Jiko instead. My mom has always wanted to try a zebra dome though and I was wondering if we could do that. It is a restaurant so I don't know why it would be any different from anywhere, but I thought I'd ask.

You can get them at the Mara, AKL's quick service place. :thumbsup2

ETA: Since Boma is a buffet, I'm not sure if they could sell you a dessert or not.

Like the other poster said go to the quick service they are in the refrigerator section. They Are so good

quick question just in case anyone 'in the know' is still reading this thread...

does the package of zebra domes (as I recall there are like 5 in there) count as either a snack credit or as a dessert (from a CS meal at Mara) on the meal plan?

Thanks

They are definitely a snack. I am unsure if it counts as a dessert but I would guess that they would as I recall they were only around $3

They counted as a both a snack and a dessert the last time we were there. There were five in each package. :thumbsup2

I did this two years ago!

Just a word of advice- do not try to eat them on the go. Eat them there sitting at the Mara. i thought they were finger food and could eat them on the way to the bus, no they weren't. They had a very soft consistency and you need a fork to eat them because the "frosting" stuff on top is not hard.

I didn't love for them, they were okay!

Just a word of advice- do not try to eat them on the go. Eat them there sitting at the Mara. i thought they were finger food and could eat them on the way to the bus, no they weren't. They had a very soft consistency and you need a fork to eat them because the "frosting" stuff on top is not hard.

I'm told they are WAY better if you let them sit for awhile - at Boma they are out on the dessert plate waiting, and they're better when they are closer to room temp than a fridge. I wasn't wowed either but we ate them right away, I'll try them once more since we are staying at AKL anyway and we'll see!

About 4 years ago we stayed at AKL. We ordered room svc and got zebra domes for dessert. YUMMMM! Last year we got them from Mara and didn't love them! Not sure what changed. They were good but not like the first ones!

They are mousse.

They have a layer of mousse in them.

They have a hardened glaze on top, then mousse, then a sponge cake layer on the bottom.

The ones I have did not have a hardened glaze on them. I picked them up with my fingers and got huge globs of that glaze on my fingers.

Maybe my batch was bad?

The ones I have did not have a hardened glaze on them. I picked them up with my fingers and got huge globs of that glaze on my fingers.

Maybe my batch was bad?

I've seen recipes reprinted that say the glaze is supposed to be "hardened". Who knows what level of hardness they are talking about.

I only tried one once, years ago, and quickly discovered they are immensely overrated here on the Dis.

Edited to add: My post was only to say that they are not an all "mousse" dessert.

OP, you may be able to get them for dessert at Jiko. They're not on the Jiko menu, but the first time we ate at Jiko I asked our server about zebra domes and where I could get them since we weren't eating at Boma. He told me that he'd get them for me.

When it was dessert time, he went over to Boma and brought me a plate of zebra domes. I think he charged me for a piece of cake or whatever Jiko had on their dessert menu that was similar.

They were delicious!

About 4 years ago we stayed at AKL. We ordered room svc and got zebra domes for dessert. YUMMMM! Last year we got them from Mara and didn't love them! Not sure what changed. They were good but not like the first ones!

I think the ones made with liquor are better but I think Mara only sells the non-alcholic ones:confused3

I've only had them at Boma and none of them had a hardened glaze on them. They were all soft.

I've had them at Boma and Mara. They looked like the glaze would be hardened -- kind of like a chocolate covered truffle or something. It wasn't hard when I had them. I guess it might have been slightly more firm than the mousse inside, but not hard at all.

Honestly, I didn't think they were all that amazing. Another one of those things that get over rated on the boards in my opinion (Le Cellier being another). They were good, but not go out of your way good.

Great. I only read the first two replies before my stomach started growling. 35 more days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter