Yummy Yummy Yummy - A live report 11/30-12/6 updated with Spoodles

You are my long lost sister....first deli food and then fried lasagne....omigod we are twins!

Sorry to hear you guys aren't feeling well:flower3: . How many days do you have left? It would be a great day for AK the weather is perfect for it.
It was a beautiful day for AK, a little chilly for Kali River Rapids for me but that didn't stop the kids. I'm feeling better, DD is eh, well enough but not 100%, DH is my problem child today :rolleyes1 He seems to be running a fever and has the chills & muscle aches from shivering. We kept today pretty short and hopefully everyone will get a good nights sleep and feel better in the morning. We're here till Saturday, so we have time left to enjoy :goodvibes

Enjoying your reviews!
It was 45 degrees in WPB today, what was the temp at WDW? Brrr!
It was pretty chilly this morning, but was nice today with a high of 65. Tomorrow we should be back to the mid 70's, sorry ;)

You are my long lost sister....first deli food and then fried lasagne....omigod we are twins!
You know it sister! :lmao:

After a slow morning around the villa we headed to AK with the hopes of staying for Evening Extra Magic Hours.

DH was feeling better with motrin & sudafed for awhile but when it started to wear off he wanted hot green tea. Since the kids were on Kali, we went to the Royal Anandapur Tea Company. If you like tea or chai, hot or cold this is the place to go. DH picked a special of the day, a Chinese green tea with peppermint. They took a big scoop of the loose tea leaves and made a disposable tea bag that hangs inside the cup. It was pretty neat the way they did that and it allows the tea to continue steeping. He was very happy with his tea, it warmed him up and made him feel better (for awhile anyways).

Since DH wasn't hungry but the kids & I were, we decided to go to Pizzafari for lunch. DD & DS both had the cheese pizza:

DS said it was pretty good and ate the whole thing (but says Planet Hollywoods was better) DD said it was better than Pizza Planet (which she despises) but not by much.

I decided to try the Hot Italian Style sandwich: Turkey, ham, Swiss and Provolone Cheese topped with Caesar salad and pesto marinated tomatoes.

This was a good sandwich :) It had the hot & cold thing going for it. Bread was toasted and warm, the ham & turkey were hot with the cheese melted on it then it was topped with the cold ceasar salad & tomatoes. It came with the option of carrot sticks or potato chips. I did ask the CM how many people choose the carrots and she said "not many at all" :rotfl:

All in all, it was a good lunch and they accept the DDE/TiW :thumbsup2

I just LOVE your reviews!!! I guess, we WILL visit Planet Hollywood next time, seeing and reading about the food you had, LOL! That Lasagna definitely calls my name!!
Made a note to try the Italian sandwich at Pizzafari as well, LOL!

You are a cute family and I hope you all wake up feeling well again this moring! :flower3:

Enjoy the rest of your stay and have a magical time!!! :goodvibes

I just LOVE your reviews!!! I guess, we WILL visit Planet Hollywood next time, seeing and reading about the food you had, LOL! That Lasagna definitely calls my name!!
Made a note to try the Italian sandwich at Pizzafari as well, LOL!

You are a cute family and I hope you all wake up feeling well again this moring! :flower3:

Enjoy the rest of your stay and have a magical time!!! :goodvibes

Good Morning I hope everyone is feeling better today:goodvibes

Good morning everyone! Well 3 out of 4 woke up feeling well. DH was still running a fever and looked awful so I took him over to the Take Care clinic (inside Walgreens on 535) We were pretty sure he had strep (my sister had strep diagnosed the day after Thanksgiving and you can guess where she had T-day dinner :laughing: yep, my house) The Dr agreed it was strep and we got a bunch of scripts filled for DH. Steroids to bring down the swelling in his throat, a numbing gargle wash & a z-pack for the strep and any other germs he may have ;) After a nap & his meds he's starting to look & feel a little better so hopefully it only gets better after this :goodvibes

While we went to see the DR, the kids took off to MK and first stop was the Main Steet Bakery. They seem to be having a good time and will post pics/reviews of their breakfast later.

Up next though will be our change of plans (again) dinner :rolleyes1

The kids went on Kali twice, first time they came thru pretty good. The 2nd time, not so much :rotfl: They were pretty soaked, so as the sun went down they got colder and of course DH still wasn't feeling well. We decided to skip going to Flame Tree since all the seating is outdoors and go back to the villa to change. We had hoped to try Olivia's at some point and this seemed like a good time :thumbsup2

We walked in around 7:15pm (without an ADR) and were seated right away. It was probably 15-20 minutes before anyone came by our table :sad2: The restaurant was busy, but not packed and there were quite a few servers working so I'm really not sure why the service was so slow.

We ordered our drinks and shortly after those came out our waitress Cari brought out Pina Colada bread:

Oooh, this was yummy! Pineapple & coconut inside and it smelled like a pina colada :beach:

Since he was sick, DH wanted soup and chose the Conch chowder.

Our waitress told him when he ordered that it was Manhattan style and that was fine with him. He loved this soup! :love: Full of chunks of conch & potatoes & veggies. Very flavorful & very good. He's still raving about it this morning :yay:

DD went with the specials of the day. Loaded potato soup & the Members Meatloaf special with mashed potatoes, green beans & carrots.

I'm guessing the soup was pretty good, because it disappeared really fast :rotfl: The meatloaf was good, but she wasn't happy with the cabernet mushrooms that were on it (sorry Brenda if the mushrooms show up in the pic) She really liked the mashed potatoes & veggies. She only ate about half her meal but it was a very large serving and the soup had filled her up pretty well too.

DS went with the kids cheeseburger meal:

He was happy it came on a Mickey plate :goodvibes I noticed that it was a whole wheat bun, but he didn't seem to notice. He ate most of it, so it must have been pretty good and the french fries were really good. Hot and crispy outside and soft inside, perfectly salted. Yum! I'm glad he "made" me try one ;)

I figured we were in the Keys, so I went with the Carribean Barbeque Grouper, pan-seared with mango glaze, chimichurri, mashed sweet potatoes.

This was really good and looked pretty too :thumbsup2 Cari said it was marinated in the chimichurri sauce over night and then pan seared. I don't know if it was from the sauce or when they cooked it, but I thought it almost had a salt crust that was really really good! I behaved myself and didn't lick the plate clean, but there wasn't anything left on it when I was done :lmao:

Did I mention the bread was really good? It was so good that we asked for more :laughing: A second loaf of bread was brought out quickly :thumbsup2

DH thought the soup was so good, that he got a 2nd bowl and enjoyed that as much as the first one!

We ordered 3 desserts "to go". DH got the Key Lime tart, I got the chocolate cake with raspberry sauce & DS got the cheesecake with berries. DD still had her chocolate whiskey cake from LeCellier in the fridge. I'll post pics & reviews of dessert after everyone eats them.

Overall, this was a really good meal. It's not gourmet, has a very laid back Key West vibe (maybe that's why the service was slow?) I can definitely see us coming back here.

Total for 3 entrees, 3 soups (DHx2 & DD), 3 drinks (2 coffee, 1 soda, 1 water), 3 desserts after DDE/TiW discount plus tax & tip was $86.05.

Sorry you haven't been well while on holiday. My DS was ill the last three days of our holiday last year with some kind of tummy bug. I know it is just one of those things but it does put pay to all those advance plans.

Hopefully you will all be fit and well for the rest of your holiday.

Still loving your reviews.

Sorry to hear DH is still under the weather the z pack should take care of him. Glad that everyone else is feeling better. Can't wait to hear and see more. Have A Magical Day:goodvibes

I booked the Candlelight Processional Package the day they came out. It took a few tries to be able to get LeCellier, but perserverence paid off :thumbsup2

My sister, niece & I plan on going next year around the same time of year as you are there this year. We will also be doing the Candllelight Processional Package and would like to eat at LeCellier. Was it difficult to book the restaurant for the day or time you wanted? Do you remember how many days out you booked it? Thanks.

:thumbsup2

Sorry you haven't been well while on holiday. My DS was ill the last three days of our holiday last year with some kind of tummy bug. I know it is just one of those things but it does put pay to all those advance plans.

Hopefully you will all be fit and well for the rest of your holiday.

Still loving your reviews.
It always seems to be something.... On our June trip DD had been fighting a cold/upper respiratory infection. By the time we got to Florida she was just about out of her prescription cough medicine and feeling much much worse. We ended up calling InRoomMD to come out and look at her. Turned out her cold had moved into pneumonia & she had strep.

I was hoping that we could get thru this trip healthy, but no such luck. Thanks for the good wishes :)

Sorry to hear DH is still under the weather the z pack should take care of him. Glad that everyone else is feeling better. Can't wait to hear and see more. Have A Magical Day:goodvibes

Thank you :hug:

My sister, niece & I plan on going next year around the same time of year as you are there this year. We will also be doing the Candllelight Processional Package and would like to eat at LeCellier. Was it difficult to book the restaurant for the day or time you wanted? Do you remember how many days out you booked it? Thanks.

:thumbsup2

This year they started booking on June 23rd at 7am. I thought I did well by calling that morning, but I didn't call at 7am. At 10am I was unable to get a LeCellier or Chefs de France package. After seeing some posts on the DVC board later that day I called back around 3pm and was able to book LeCellier. When I booked it, our narrator was "TBD". As the saying goes, "if at first you don't succeed, try try again" :goodvibes

After taking his medicine and a couple of naps, DH decided he didn't want to be cooped up anymore so we headed to MK for the afternoon. I apologize for the pics, the kids took the camera with them so I had to use my cell phone :eek:

We grabbed a quick lunch at Columbia Harbor House. DH had the Lighthouse sandwich which is hummus with tomato & broccoli slaw.

I didn't think it looked all that appetizing, the hummus was very yellow. DH really enjoyed it. He said the hummus was kind of bland but the broccoli slaw was very good :thumbsup2

I had the Anchors Aweigh Sandwich, white tuna with lettuce & tomato on a toasted multi-grain bread.

I think the most surprising thing about this sandwich was that the tomato actually had flavor :woohoo: It's hard to get a tomato with taste in December but this was good. The tuna had very little mayo, I would've liked a little more but for people like DH with a mayo aversion this is perfect.

The interesting thing we learned here was that we could sub out fries for the potato chips that come with the sandwich. Originally DH ordered our sandwiches & a order of fries for us to share. The CM told him that chips come with the sandwiches when DH said we didn't want the chips, she took them off the order (price dropped over $1 each) and then added 2 side orders of fries on. So if you don't want the chips, make sure to order the sandwich only :goodvibes

Total for 2 sandwiches, 2 sides of fries, 2 cokes: $20.71 including tax

For a CS meal, this was pretty good. Not too heavy but it was filling :goodvibes

You ordered my favorite sand-wedge at Columbia Harbor House ... tuna!!! One of the few places left that a desperate tuna lover can get a decent sand-wedge. :thumbsup2

Sorry to hear your hubby ended up with strep ... that's a bummer. :hug: Glad to know he's starting to feel better ... hope you all stay healthy or start getting healthier soon!!

WELLLLLLL,

I'm gonna get Electric Umbrella and Main Street Bakery up soon, now that I'm caught up on reading all this. Goodness, I'm behind on reading our own food report. That takes some special skill.

-DD

Howdy everybody! I'm going to catch up two holes, Electric Umbrella from...yeah, whatever, I'm on vacation so I don't keep up with days of the week, and Main Street Bakery from yesterday :) Here we go!

OH! I have Pecos Bills too, so I suppose I could throw that in.

At Electric Umbrella...

1201081345a.jpg

Bro's burger. He thought it was pretty good, fries were fine too.

1201081345.jpg

My chicken nuggets. Really hit the spot, yummy breading, but I miss the strips :(

Food was fine here, service was SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! And we ate at like 1:30-2. Crazy!

Main Street Bakery:

001-6.jpg

This cinnamon roll was YUMMY!!!! and bigger than little bro's head!

002-5.jpg

French toast loaf yummyyummyyummyyummyyummyyummyyummyheaven :)

The line here at 10 was insane, but they moved through it pretty quickly, and it was worth every bit of the 20 minutes (that was longer than the line for Space Mountain at the time!)

At Pecos Bills, we both had the same thing, a cheeseburger, ketchup only.

009-5.jpg

It was fine, bro liked the fries better than I did.

Cool new thing at Pecos Bills though, express ordering. It's a touch screen system that anyone using a credit card, resort charge, or dining plan credit can use. It's easy, and it lets you avoid using the slowwww cashiers. Pretty neat!

Well, I'm caught up, mama bear can chill out on me and post last night's dinner soon :cool2:

"Jiko is yummy" and "Jiko is gooooood" were 2 of the comments this morning :thumbsup2

After letting DH nap for a couple of hours, he was ready for our 9pm ADR at Jiko. We drove over to AK and checked in a few minutes early. We waited over by the bar, looking at the drink menu and were a little disappointed. They only have 3 "specialty" cocktails listed and they weren't that special: there was an appletini, cosmo & margarita with African names :sad2: Our table was ready so we skipped the before dinner cocktails.

We were seated across from The Cooking Place which was neat to watch. We started with an appy to share, the Taste of Africa: Trio of Dips with Assorted Breads and House-made Naan

The green one was lentils, spinach & cilantro. It was pretty good, with a clean taste. The cilantro really came through. The red one was kind of spicy, and I'm not sure what was in that one. DH liked it, I kept trying it not sure if I liked it or not :confused: The purpleish one was hummus with kalamata olives. This was really good and my favorite :thumbsup2

Ordering our entrees was the hard part. With all the wonderful reviews of the filet, we all wanted that :rolleyes1 but we all wanted to try other things too. DH, DD & DS all got the Oak Fired Filet Mignon with Mac & Cheese. DS got his with the wine sauce on the side (he says "thanks MickeyNicki" for letting him know that he could do that)

Filet with wine sauce on the side

Filet with Mac & Cheese

They all raved about this dish! DH said he could have cut it with a fork and that the wine sauce was to die for. DD wanted to lick it off the plate ;) DS loved it as well and inhaled the mac & cheese :thumbsup2 It wasn't a cheddar, but a variety of white cheeses so I really didn't think he would end up liking it but I was glad to be wrong :goodvibes

To change things up a little, I ordered the Kenyan Coffee BBQ Braised Beef Short Rib:

Wow, this was really good! I was given a steak knife, but I'm not sure why :confused3 I was able to pull the meat off with a fork and the rest just fell off the bone. It was a huge serving, and I'll be having the rest of it for lunch today :laughing:

When our meals were served we were also given a basket of breads with tandoori butter:

There were 2 types of bread in there: a cinnamon honey bread that was very good and a 2nd one that I didn't try :guilty: I was trying to save room for dessert. I'll try it with my lunch today because when our server boxed up my leftovers, he asked if I would like bread with it and boxed up a fresh order of it :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

dessert up next

Onto my favorite part of any meal; Dessert!
DH had the Pistachio Creme Brulee with chocolate layered bottom:

This was very good and very rich. Good pistachio taste and the chocolate on the bottom was yummy :)

DD & I both had to have the Tanzanian Chocolate Cheesecake with chocolate ganache, amarula sauce, and lavender ice cream:

First, presentation was beautiful! 2nd, it tasted even better than it looked :banana: Yummy Yummy Yummy! Rich Rich Rich! The cheesecake was fantastic, the lavendar ice cream was really good. I wasn't sure what to expect but it was good. It tasted like a really good vanilla ice cream with lavendar. The lavendar tastes just like it smells for lack of a better description. I don't think I'd want a whole bowl of it, but a little bit on the side was really good :goodvibes

DS ordered the servers recommendation which isn't even on the menu. He got the Smores & More:

To make it even cooler, this is a "make your own" dessert. On the plate were graham crackers, a bowl of chocolate ganache, a bowl of fresh (real) peanut butter and of course a bowl of toasted melted marshmallows :yay: DS was thrilled with this dessert! I got a little bite and it was really good!

DH & I ordered a press pot of coffee to go with our desserts:

We were told that this is Jiko's very own blend of coffee and it was delicious!

When our server brought out our check, he also brought these little biscotti out:

We were too full to eat them, but I did try one (just doing my job as a good DIS'er :lmao: ) These were good, a little lemony & I believe it was dried blueberries. If I wasn't so full, these would have been great to finish the meal off with.

1 appetizer, 4 adult entrees, 2 sodas, 4 desserts & 1 press pot coffee. Total after DDE/TiW discount with tax & tip: $209.89

Well worth the money, an excellent dinner & dining experience :thumbsup2

Everything looks really yummy. The appetizer looks good we tried that when we did the culinary tour before dinner at Boma. Thats another place you should try. Glad to hear everyone is feeling better.:thumbsup2

YUMMO is all I can say, we LOVE JIKO!!!!!!!! I had the short rib last trip.....amazing!!!!:worship:

All I can say is that your reviews (and DD's) are just awesome! Your Jiko pics took me right back to my b-day dinner there and I almost licked the monitor! Tell DS he is welcome and I am so glad that he enjoyed it too!

Thank goodness the family is feeling better! Nothing worse than being on a much anticipated vacation and feeling lousy!

So....what are we eating next?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter