Your views on the moderate resorts

Bibbler66

Earning My Other Ear
Hi guys, quite new to all this really, but here goes.

We have been looking to go to Florida Christmas time or just after with my DP, DD and DS. Looking at part of the stay in a moderate resort, with a night or two in a deluxe. Have stayed at Caribbean Beach and Port Orleans in the past... want some ideas on your experiences with the moderates.
:thumbsup2

Hi! We have stayed in Caribbean Beach once, and POFQ twice. We LOVE POFQ and would happily stay there every time we visit - it is beautiful to walk around, compact, the staff are friendly. . . all in all we love it!! Stayed at CBR a few years ago and wouldn't stay again unless we really had to. I can't put my finger on why we didn't really take to it - maybe it was just because we were so far from everything because of the size of it. We are considering Conorado Springs next time we visit mainly because it has a gym, but I'm pretty sure our love for POFQ will win out over our need to exercise, which usually vanishes on day two of the trip!!!

Thanks for the advice... I enjoyed Port Orleans Riverside, everything just seemed about right. I like Caribbean Beach too, but couldn't decide between the two... looking at other moderates to be honest this time around.

Love the wedding photo by the way, looks absultely magical :cloud9:

Just a thought - but for the price of an onsite "moderate" and a couple of nights in a deluxe - you could get a deluxe for the whole holiday offsite.....

If this is your first trip (and assuming 2 weeks) - there is a hell of a lot more to Orlando/Florida than Disney.

Hi,
Thanks Snapper, I have been to WDW 5 times in the fairly recent past, and love staying on site. Didn't go last year though. I have considered off site but the moderates are pulling at my heart strings a little... Would love other members views of some of the other moderates other than Port Orleans and Carib.

:goodvibes

With regard to moderates we also stayed at POR and really liked it but we make a mistake the following year......we stayed at a deluxe and have done so ever since. Would now find it difficult to go back to a moderate.

CSR is my favourite moderate due to the superior rooms (recently been refurbed) and the fact that it's a lot quieter than the others. I think the surroundings are nicer than CBR although I did like POR when we visited as it was very scenic and peaceful. I think the CSR food court is better than the other mods on food quality but is also more expensive. The pool area is great and very rarely crowded and we never saw another soul on our visits to the quiet pools!
I'd like to try the other mods and have booked both CBR and POFQ in the past but have always cancelled in favour of CSR. If you do stay, we prefer to stay in the Cabanas section - fairly close to main bldg and nice views from the rooms (we always had a water view either by choice or free upgrade). Also the bus stop is first on/ first off.
Hope that helps.

I can't seem to edit my post for some reason, but just to correct myself - I don't think Cabanas is first on/ off but it feels like it is as very few ppl get on at the prev stop which I think is ranchos.
By the way, there's an excellent FAQ thread on CSR over on the resort board :)

we stayed at csr for our wedding and the resort is very large and although nice we preferred POFQ as it was alot smaller

i do like the look of the new rooms at csr but the pepper market was weord compared to the other counter service places at other moderate hotels

now with the twins i'm not sure we will ever go back to a moderate as we need mroe room but i would go for POFQ as the resort was lovely

If you are thinking of going at Christmas it might be worth looking at Swan & Dolphin. They often have quite good deals compared with Disney.

We spent Christmas at the Dolphin the year before last, and had a great time. We booked hotel and flight (indirect with NWA) with Expedia. I don't think it was very much more than the moderates were costing at that time, but it is really more of a deluxe.

Being able to walk to Epcot and DHS was great when everywhere is so busy.

Weve stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter 4 times now and do really like the hotel, so long as you get a room near the pool/reception! One of the things we liked about the hotel are how close it is to Downtown Disney, you can just jump on the boat on a nice night and can be there in ten minutes without being on a bus going to every stop on Disney!

We have stayed at all of the value resorts, 3 of the deluxe, & 2 of the moderate. Unfortunately, the 2 moderates we have stayed at are CBR & POR. We really loved POR. CBR was so spread out. It was a long walk to the food court for us. Sometimes you can get a good deal on a longer stay to where you could stay the whole time in a deluxe. Check into discounts avaiable while you are there. Take into consideration that changing resorts is not always a easy thing. It's like starting over. We do,however, move over to Universal for our last 2 days usually

We have stayed at CBR once, POR twice and CSR twice. We really enjoyed all of them, but our overall favourite would be CSR. The food court has a more varied choice than the other moderate resorts and as we were on the free DDP we didn't have to pay. The main pool is excellent with a good slide for the youngsters (and Dads). Wherever you were in the resort it felt very quiet. They do have a Convention centre at CSR, but this certainly didn't interfere with our enjoyment. The only reason we moved from CSR to SSR in 2009 was the fact that SSR had 43% off and we got the free table service DDP. This worked out as about the same cost as staying at CSR and SSR is a deluxe resort.

Have you looked into the cabins at WL these are classed as Mod now
or maybe price up the cheaper deluxe AKL / WL

we have only stayed at POR but visited the rest still think that POR is the nicest , if we didn't buy into DVC we would still be staying at POR

We have stayed at CSR 5 times - and we just love it. If we hadn't bought DVC we would still be going there and if we are ever short on points it will be the hotel we choose.

BTW if it is important to you (it is to us as DHis 6'3") CSR is the only mod that had queen instead of double beds - we do not sleep well in a double!

We love the quietness of the resort and the fab rooms with flat screen TVs!

As I've only ever visited the moderates resorts rather than stayed at any, I can't help with your question, but I wanted to drop in to wish you a very warm welcome to the DIS. I hope you'll hang around and join in. :goodvibes

Thanks very much Deb... I did the vacation club at OKW and really enjoyed the tranquility there. But also had a look around Boardwalk, etc when out there the time before last. Will look at the Boardwalk or one of the other two close by I think :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter