Your favorite resort at Christmastime?

snoopy5386

DIS Veteran
We are planning a stay over thanksgiving weekend, own and am booked at AKV but hoping to switch it up at 7 months. What are your favorite or least favorite resorts to stay at during the holiday season. This will be a short weekend trip - goals are to see the decorated resorts, attend MVMCP, do some shopping and visit Universal with our APs.

Our favorite resort to stay is the Wilderness Lodge followed by the AK. We love the decorations and resort activities. (We also have enjoyed stays at the BC and BW during the Holidays - which are enhanced by the proximity to World Showcase). Our favorite resorts to visit are the Contemporary and GF, followed by the WL, AK, BC, BW and Poly (in that order). Our least favorites are SS and OKW.

Another vote for Boulder Creek. It is so pretty around holiday time! Second is GF just love the Gingerbread house and the decorations. The AK we haven't stayed at around the holidays but we did visit and it looked lovely.

Wilderness Lodge and Grand Floridian are our favorites. Boardwalk has become a disappointment, Beach Club is okay, Contemporary, SSR, OKW, not as nice.

DVC doesn't spend much on decorations.

:earsboy: Bill

I'm not sure about the villa building, but the hotel lobby at the Grand Floridian is my favorite.
Wilderness Lodge lobby is my second.

Honorable mention:

Boardwalk
Beach Club
Yacht Club (although non DVC)

MG

The GF and Contemporary have holiday treats that are unique to each resort (i.e. the gingerbread cookies are different recipes)

Funny thing.
Our 1st family trip to WDW was in May 2006 at WL. We Loved it so much we quickly booked our 2nd trip for December 2006 at WL.

The Christmas Decorations at WL sealed the deal. I was spellbound........or DVC bound. We bought WLV the next month. Best decision ever!!!

Funny part is we haven't actually booked WLV at Xmas time and that is the original reason I bought there! I loved the decorations so much and the "feel" of "winter" at the lodge, I decided WLV should be our home. I swear we will book xmas one year at the lodge......and I don't regret my home resort for a second.
We have stayed at every resort on property DVC except GFV. Aulani and DL are the next adventure for us this summer. 7 months has worked amazing so far for us for variability.

AKV decorations are amazing as well.......it has the similar feel of the lobby......giant tree...but the fireplace at WL seals the deal.
Happy planning
Kerri

My favorite is VWL, then VGF, BWV, BCV, then either AKV.

I have not stayed at VWL recently due to construction, but I made my way over to it last December, just to enjoy some quiet time by one of the fireplaces!

We like AKV over VWL. I would rather see Palm trees and giraffe over pine trees any day. However, inside of both lodges are both beautiful.

1. AKV - Jambo
2. WLV
3. BWV
You can "Do":
BWV, BC, YC, Swan and Dolphin all in one afternoon stroll around the lake.
You can do the monorail tour of resorts in about 2 hours if you do not linger, but at GF they have a band playing in the lobby that is a lot of fun to set and listen too.
At FWC, they have evening horse/buggy rides that give you a tour of the campsites.

I "always" go in early December. I own at VGF and VWL for that reason, as those are my top two. My favorite place to stay is the Poly, but I do not think it is anything special at Christmas (except the Luau, which has some cool lighting)

WL, then VGF and AKV. Poly I vote as the worst, very underwhelming.

I agree. I hope Poly steps it up this year with their holiday decorations. So much potential there

I liked how they put the tree in 2015 in the center of the lobby, but this past year it was in a corner and looked weird. They have the room for a taller tree though. but we will see! I have high hopes.

WL, then VGF and AKV. Poly I vote as the worst, very underwhelming.
Sadly, so true. Next to nothing is done at the Poly. With the clearing out of the water fall, and the new clearing outside behind the GCH, they have two areas two do something. Last year, they had a (small) Christmas tree across from the check in desk.

Many of the moderates are nicer than the poly in terms of decorations for Christmas

The one that is still available at seven months out. Might only be OKW, SSR and AKV.

Without a doubt for my family, it is Wilderness Lodge hands down. We did our first Christmas vacation at the Lodge in 1994 and this year will be our 8'th family Christmas vacation and our 14'th December visit. It is that nice

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter