Your favorite places for in-park breaks

traveler000mkl

Earning My Ears
Hello! We got our FP+ lined up for our June trip and are thinking of specific plan. We are not a huge fan of taking resort breaks. My kids hate shuttle rides, so rather than walking back out to the bus stop, wait for the bus, go to the resort and come back for evening, we would rather take 90 min afternoon break within each park during the hottest time of the day (sometime between 12-3 pm).

What are your favorite places in each park for afternoon break? Preferably somewhere you can sit down and with some AC?

It may be hard to find a break for that long in the AC that isn't a restaurant in some parks. The only places I can think of would be inside The Land or The Seas pavilions at Epcot. At HS you an do the Frozen show, but it's only about 30 minutes (nice and cool in there though - thanks Elsa!). You can go sit int he Star Wars Launch Bay as there are a few benches around in there. MK is tough, but there's always the old standard nap time in the Hall of Presidents, though the show is also only about 30 minutes. At AK I am at a loss. The Nemo show is about an hour, so there's that maybe.

Magic Kingdom - We take the monorail over to the Grand Floridian and relax in the lobby. Also, any of the theatre shows like Hall of Presidents or Carousel of Progress is a good place to take a nap. There is also the 2nd floor of the WDW railroad Main Street Station, but it could be crowded during the parade.
Epcot - There is a hallway going towards Epcot Character Spot next to the Club Cool building with a lot of sofas for relaxing. Also, the big dining area for Sunshine Seasons in The Land is a good place.
Animal Kingdom - I used to like Rafiki's Planet Watch because the building was indoors and there was a television with some benches so you could dose off. Not sure if this will be open during your visit though.
Hollywood Studios - I can't remember any good spots at Hollywood Studios though.

Are you staying on property at a Disney owned resort? Transportation is honestly not that bad. We are going in June also, we almost always go in June, and an afternoon resort pool break is a necessity for us. It’s so hot and there is so much walking, the swimming and relaxing break allows us to go back to the parks in the evening renewed. I can’t imagine going all day long. But, if you decide to stay at the park, I would book a table service reservation now so that you can ensure an air conditioned break. I think it’s great that you are planning ahead to make sure you guys get some relief from the touring and heat. I hope you have a great trip!

Inside is tough apart from restaurants and baby care centres.

Second level of Columbia Harbour House is always lovely, dark, cool and quiet out of the heat, hustle and bustle of the parks.

More likely is seeking out shady seating outside - if you search you will find lots of recommendations for those - I know last trip I made a list as we need breaks for our grandson........ wonder where I put that list!

My favorites at MK:
The benches next to the tiki hut, Aloha Isle, and Magic Carpets.
Get a Pineapple Float, (duh!) and sit on the concrete above the benches and people watch. Also good for watching the camels spit water at the carpet riders.

And on a slower day, People mover - just ask if you can stay on 3 or 4 times.

Ak - never rest there. I just do the rides, Lion King, Flame Tree, and get back to the resort pool.

Hollyweird - Muppets or Frozen show.

Epcot - once the rides are done - WS is basically a break. Find a snack, watch a street show, repeat until dinner.

As some have said, I'd just leave the park and go to a nearby resort:
MK: walk to Contemporary or BLT and relax in lobby (Contemporary has that convention center area downstairs which can be very quiet if there is no convention). Or monorail to Grand Floridian lobby or (my favorite) boat to wilderness lodge and hang in their lobby/grounds. very relaxing.

DHS/EP: walk to Boardwalk, Dolphin or swan and hang in lobby (have not been to beach club so I have no idea if they have a decent lobby). To stay on site I'd go into the food court area near soarin and have lunch/hang/read there but it's loud, and for DHS go to star wars launch bay but I'd prefer just getting away from the crowds for a bit.

AK - if the train is running (don't recall if it still does) head over to that conservation station place - never too crowded and AC inside.

Thanks everyone. We are staying at AKL. I already planned some lunch table services ADR's or indoor QS lunches so that we could possibly use that time for R&R.. And are trying to do more indoor shows than rides during the hottest time of the day. But it's good to know about all the other options!

Maybe I am overestimating the amount of effort involved in getting back to the hotel for a break (walking back, waiting for the bus, ride back, walking back to the room, rest, and back to the park). Also, we will be alternating RD with late arrival (10:30am+) days so hopefully that will help...

If I’m staying in the park all day, in MK, I would go to the indoor shows, COP, Philharmagic, HOP and Country bears.

One thought is to utilize the MK hotels for breaks and even for meals to extend "downtime." Poly has some places to sit both on the first floor and the second and you can usually get a view of the castle. I've eaten at both Kona and Captain Cook's, and spent time just sitting close to the lobby or up by 'Ohana on second floor. Contempo has a large second floor area with open space couches and you can walk there from MK if you like, maybe pick one of their restaurants to graze at or have a full meal.

At MK we don't really sit inside, but there is the "alley" off of Main Street, right around Uptown Jewelers that has benches and a few tables. Also, as someone mentioned on top of the Railway station. Both places we go and grab a snack from Starbucks and just chill. Also in MK go to Big Top souvenirs and grab a snack and head out to the tables and chairs near there.

At EPCOT we do usually sit inside, or at least in the shade. As someone mentioned, if you head behind Club Cool, and go in the double doors, there's an area in there where there are couches and tables with chairs, the bathrooms are close, again we grab Starbucks and head there. Also Sunshine seasons seating area, grab a drink or food and hang out, there is also a "small" alcove with benches in the pavilion. In the countries; in Norway we head to the bakery and sit under their overhang. In America, go hang out and listen to the Voices of Liberty back in American Adventure, and stay as long as you like.

At AK we head to Nomad Lounge for a drink and perhaps a snack, they have indoor and outdoor seating and do have a lot of interesting non-alcoholic offerings if that's not your thing.

DHS This is the one park I don't really have a hangout spot for, except down by where Starring Rolls use to be. They still had the tables with umbrellas, so again grab a Starbucks and hang out.

Of course at most of these places, you can also just grab a water and chill, it doesn't have to be a food stop (except Nomad Lounge where ordering something is good form).

You didn't mention what time of year you are going but here's a few thoughts:
  • EP - if there is a festival doing on the Festival Center is typically open - there are usually some tables to sit in and depending on time of day, it can be sort of quiet.
  • EP - near the Italy Pavillion there are some benches that are down close to the water - there isn't shade but it's a nice quiet place to hang out.
  • EP - you could also exit the IG and head over to BW,YC or BC and sit in the lobby there for a bit for AC. The walk isn't too long ( about 10 min ).
  • MK - there's not a lot inside here to get R & R. There's some tables outside Cosmic Rays that are sort of tucked out of the main foot traffic area that may be a bit more on the quiet side. If I remember correctly, they do have umbrellas so it does provide some shade.
  • MK - the lawn in front of the castle during the day can be utilized but there is no shade.
  • MK - Pinocchio Village Haus and Colombia Harbor House are QS but there are a lot of table. It's better for non-peak hours and they do have AC.
  • HS - there are some outside tables near the ABC Commissary that are usually quiet. Great for people watching. Some had umbrellas, some did not.
  • AK - this area has some really cool areas that even with all the foot traffic that does through can provide some shade and some quiet. Some of the areas are in the corridor from Pandora to Africa along the water.

I agree about it being hard going back to the resort for an afternoon break. Whether it's true or not, it feels like it takes hours to get back to the room and come back to the park. We usually stay in the parks all day and take advantage of the indoor shows, sometimes back to back (especially thinking of the Frozen Sing Along).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter