Your favorite night-before-a-race meal

jmasgat

DIS Veteran
So what do people like to eat the night before a race? Any superstitions/gotta haves? Any that are special to Disney races?

Do share (so I can decide what to eat Saturday night!!!)

Maura

So what do people like to eat the night before a race? Any superstitions/gotta haves? Any that are special to Disney races?

Do share (so I can decide what to eat Saturday night!!!)

Maura

I'm a firm believer in having a big dinner the night before. I don't eat a lot of meat or fat so something like a grilled salmon, plain baked potato and a big salad works for me. If the place offers it I'll get a side of steamed veggies also.

Race morning about 2 hours prior to start, a good cereal, like chereios or Special K with a banana and skim milk, coffee and a vitamin.

Hungry Panda:hippie:

Wow great question and great answer Panda. Not that I like salmon but I do like mahi so I might have to find some place to get that (and not as expensive as the Coral Reef.) :eek:

As I only do WDW races, I eat pasta dinner on Fri at Pop before 1/2. Cheap and easy. I have chicken sandwich on Sat for lunch after 1/2. I have pizza for light dinner before full. I have done this for past 3 Goofy's. Will do before 4th in Jan:)

I eat a can of whole potatoes, bagel, and banana before every race at WDW. I have done that for a decade and a half. It has worked from my ultra days and now down to my Goofy and 5K days:)

I like meatless pasta and bread sticks the night before ... I stay way from the meat, cheeses, and caffeine. I do not eat much the morning of the race - a EAS bar or toast with peanut butter. I stop drinking an hour before - then resume drinking once on the course. I do not like to make bathroom stops during a 5k, 10k or 1/2 marathons and I find this works best for me :rolleyes1

But remember it is important that you do not add / change things in your diet that you have not tried previously to see how your body is going to react/respond to those foods or drinks.

The night before I also have pasta with cut up chicken (plain).

The morning of the race I'll have a banana, a mini whole wheat bagel and two cups of coffee. I also stop drinking about an hour before, then stop at all water stations along the race route. Even if I'm not thirsty, I still grab a drink and take a few sips.

I do a big salad with grilled chicken or tuna the night before. I tried pasta but it just makes me feel bloated. I also pre-hydrate with lots of water and no caffeine.

The morning of, well I am a coffee drinker so 2 cups of coffee black, oatmeal, and about a half hour before the race a protein bar of some sort. We did have a suggestion by Steffwalks on another thread to drink some hot green tea in the morning to get "things" moving if you get my drift. I have not tested it yet but have it under consideration...;)

lasagne and chicken parmisian (sp?) are my faves.

I am another plain pasta and grilled chicken before most races, but before the Minnie 15ks I have gotten into the fresh sandwiches at Pepper Market - turkey and lettuce only :)

I usually do a big pasta and grilled chicken dinner early, usually about 3:00pm. That give my body time to process the food so it isn’t in my stomach for the race.

If you are doing a Disney race I would suggest doing a late lunch/early dinner at the Tusker House. They have a lot of vegetable dishes and couscous which are both high in good carbs. They also have salmon which has good fats. Keep in mind that doing the latest possible lunch will get you a better price for the same food as dinner.

Thanks for all the tips as I'm bad about this. I don't pay as much attention to it as I should. The one thing I do right is I usually eat pasta 2 nights before a race. I really don't pay too much attention to the day before the race, just try to stay away from salads and heavy foods.

My main thing is I drink a lot the week before a race. I mean a lot. A lot of water with a little sports drink along the way. I do this right up through the night before the race.

The morning of I eat what I always eat, a bowl of cereal and a few cups of coffee. I might throw in a food bar when I have to get up 3 hours before the race starts like at Disney. I brought my own cereal to Disney as well as my own coffee and coffee pot. The coffee at Disney is disgusting! It helps to drive.

enjoy,
Duane

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter