Your experiences for best sit-down solo dining, please

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Thanks to so many positive comments here, I'm going to try dining sit-down on my next solo trip. I tried it on one trip and really felt uncomfortable. What I'd be interested in is where have other solos eaten and had a really good experience (nice CMs, comfortable suroundings). Right now I'm considering LTT in MK, Bomas at AKL,or Resturaunt Akerhaus (?) in Norway, but I really don't know. I'd appreciate any suggestions-I'm ready to try again!

I would recommend the Flying Fish. They have a bar that faces the kitchen staff and you can see everything that is going on, and they interact with the guests sitting in this area.

I usually travel solo and have had many enjoyable meals at WDW. Let's see if I can remember most of the sit-down places I've been to (solo):

Rose & Crown
CA Grill (twice)
Citricos
Tony's Town Square
Akershus (many times)
Chefs de France (twice)
Spoodles
Matsu No Ma Lounge (many times)
Olivia's Cafe
Wine Makers Dinner, 2000 Food & Wine Festival
Sci-Fi Dine In
Plaza Restaurant
Max's Cafe (Celebration)

I've enjoyed each one, never felt terribly rushed and had helpful, friendly CM's. Go in with a smile, maybe a park map to review and savor your meal. Notice that several of these places have a special view/show (R&C, Sci-Fi, CA Grill, Spoodles) or event (Wine Dinner) involved. That helps to keep me occupied and I don't feel so alone.

I've been a few times by myself to WDW while my dh had business in Orlando area. Found this was the perfect time to try restaurants/meals he always said were too expensive or not worth it. My first Crystal Palace meal was a dinner by myself, it was a little odd to have Pooh come up to hug me and nobody to take my picture, but my dh would never pay that amount for a buffet. The food wasn't that great, but I finally got to eat there! Didn't have PS's, but found I needed them a couple times, waited 1 1/2 hrs. at Le Cellier for a party of 1! The food was incredible and I ordered extras just because I could! I personally found it enjoyable to eat wherever/whenever I wanted. Felt a little awkward at a character meal by myself, but it was still fun....enjoy!!

I enjoy the Yachtsman, SciFi (great for solo dining!), Ohana, and the Coral Reef (lots to look at!). One time at the SciFi, the CM actually sat with me for a bit and talked about WDW. She was great! I got many hugs from Eeyore at AP at a character breakfast, too!

SM

I know what you mean about dining alone feeling uncomfortable - I'm a solo traveller.

Found out the reason why it can feel uncomfortable - it's programmed from the earliest days of man on this planet. When the hunters returned with a kill the whole clan would gather together to feast on the meat, and since then dining had been viewed as an activity that is not done by yourself. Pretty interesting huh?

Like yourself I tend to stick to the counter service eateries when solo travelling. It's been interesting reading about all the others in the same boat who happily eat in the full service restauraunts. For me the problem with solo dining on holiday is that it reminds me of doing an overnight stay with work!

Eat, drink and be merry!

Joe

I'm putting my vote in for Sci-Fi Dine In Theater at MGM. With the fun atmosphere there, I never have time to even look at who's sitting around me, let alone notice who's eating solo and who's not. Go for lunch and have a blast! :)

I was on a biz trip one night and slipped into Ohana's for a late dinner. It would have been more fun with DW and DD's, but they seated me next to a window and I enjoyed my meal. Too bad all of the DIS'ers can't hook up for meals when we're on our own. We'd be total strangers with so much to talk about!

I went on my first solo trip from 8/29 - 8/31. Of course, I ate all of my meals alone - but only one at a full service restaurant - Mama Melrose's at MGM. I had a very enjoyable, relaxing meal and did not feel rushed at all. The CM was very attentive and let me pace my meal - I ordered a cocktail and appetizer, then ordered dinner, then had coffee and dessert. I have travelled alone on business but never for pleasure until now! I had a great time and will do it again!:jester:

Simba's Mom: I bet you will enjoy Akershus. I went there solo for lunch and found some of the nicest CMs ever. I like the buffet system: it eliminates overlong, clumsy waits. I also plan to go to Boma on my next trip.
I second the poster that suggested Flying fish cafe. It is great to sit at the counter and follow the action on the showcase cuisine. That was lots of fun. I had dinner at the California Grill and felt like royalty! They asked me if I wanted to sit at the counter. I didn't want to. I wanted to see the castle. So they gave the most perfect table where I could see the castle, the fireworks, everything. It was my best meal at the World.

After 2 solo trips of 6 nights each, I ate at a lot of places.
Most were counter service. I would have done that if I was
with my DH anyway! However, 3 times I had breakfast at
Boatwrights buffet at DxL (now PO-R). The CM not only made
me feel comfortable, she gabbed with me quite a bit. I had a
PS at Sci-Fi, with a request to get a "car" all to myself. They
did not honor THAT request, however once I ordered I
honestly did NOT feel uncomfortable at all. There were 2
people in the front seat, and 1 person in the middle. They
were all together. Then there was me in the back seat.
They hardly noticed me at all, which was what I wanted.
At home, I enjoy eating dinner in front of the TV set (but
NOT with the news on), so I knew I would like the Sci-Fi.
BTW - the food was great!

Hi Claudia Kellenberger,
I had a great time dinning solo when I went in September. I ate at least one sit down dinner a day and was treated great. I ate at Mama Melrosa's, Biergarden, Liberty Tree Tavern,House of Blues, Tony's town Square, Crystal Palace, Donald's Prehistoric Breakfastsorous and Victoria & Alberts. Yes, a couple of them were charactor meals adn they were fun. So don't forget to do them too.
Happy dining, Bobºoº

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the advice. I am still
a little shy about a charactor meal
but I'm going to do it anyway.
My next solo is Dec, 6-12.

I just got back from a week-long solo trip, and I really loved the character meals. I went to Chef Mickey's my first night (to really get in the Disney mood!) and breakfast at Hollywood & Vine in MGM on my last morning. Watching the characters interact with everyone made for a good show. Plus, once the characters realized I enjoyed playing with them, they all came up to me repeatedly. Some sat with me for a little while, and Dale kept trying to balance my water bottle on his nose!

The wait staff as well as families in nearby tables offered to take pictures of me having fun, so I should have a lot of great photos.

So don't feel shy about being a solo adult at one of these events! It felt good to laugh and be silly after all the seriousness that is going on around us. There is just nothing like a hug from the Big Mouse himself to warm your heart.

Deborah

I ate at Prime Time Cafe and had a blast solo....I got lots of attention ;) which I loved! Hee hee I woldn't reccommend it if you just want to blend in with the crowd :)

my BEST experience has been at the Garden Grill at Epcot (The Land.) It is a character meal and the characters never ignore you just because you are alone. Actually, since I always go alone, I don't feel too out of place anywhere, but I love the Garden Grill. I also have eaten at La Celluar several times.

:bounce: :bounce:

Dear Simbas's Mom,
Like you, I felt uncomfortable dinning alone. But since I've found this forum to chat, I don't mind dinning solo anymore. We can get into that sense of 'everybody is watching me cuz I'm a loner'. Boy, is that nonsense. Since I've found this chat forum, I've payed more attention to people at the parks and elsewhere and I'm amazed at how may people I see who are by themseleves. I've been looking for those lime green ribbons so I could introduce myself but I haven't seen one yet. Now that I'm retired and have moved to Celebration, I dine alot by myself and really enjoy it. Germany is my favorite as is Hollywood and Vine. I really enjoy buffet meals. I also found the CM and characters to be very friendly and I got quite a few hugs as I was leaving. Spoodles has a GREAT breakfast buffet but it's a little pricy. Enjoy your trip, and if you want company at any one of the meals, drop me an email.

Man, you all are so brave. I went to my first solo concert at HOB on Friday, and did Epcot solo today. I've spent lots of time solo in the parks, back when I worked there, but only for a couple of hours, never a whole day, and never to eat. There was no way I was doing sit-down. I felt awkward enough just finding a place to enjoy a snack... had to be some place with a view. Maybe I will start reading this board more often to build up my courage.

You know, I almost forgot about this wonderful dining
experience. I had lunch during the show at the Diamond
Horseshoe Review. Most people were not eating at all, some
were just eating ice cream. I got a wonderful, thick ham
and cheese sandwich with potato chips, and sat at the table
that was close to the side exit. I sat at the table with a
couple of strangers, but they were watching the show and
hardly realized I was there. It felt good to watch the show
while I was eating lunch. I was by myself, and did not feel
uncomfortable at all. The show was great !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter