Your experience with staying off site for a Run Disney race?

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
Dh is balking at the cost of an onsite room for W&D.

We've stayed off site for regular trips, but on all of my race trips, I've stayed on site at a host resort. I love the convenience of the bus transportation to take me where I need to go (Expo, race start, etc). Also, we will likely be flying down (previous times when we have stayed off site, we drove) so the Magical Express transportation is important...

What has been your experience with staying off site for a race? When they have the roads blocked for the race, is it a lot harder to drive on property?

I just returned from running the 3 races over Princess weekend. My girlfriend and I stayed off site at one of the Dream Villas that Kevin and John own (members of the Dis Unplugged podcast team). It was fantastic. They were kind enough to upgrade us from a 3 bedroom 2 bath to 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths which was more space than we needed but wonderful to spread out in. The cost was $700 for the week with a $300 security deposit which was refunded to me the day after we checked out. The villa was in a gated community, very quiet - which helped with getting sleep when I had to be in bed by 8 pm and up at 2:30 am :)-you aren't always assured of that in a hotel room especially with all the kids running around and coming back from the parks late at night. The villa also had a full kitchen, tvs/dvd players in every bedroom and living room and washer/dryer. There was also an enormous heated pool/large hot tub, tennis courts etc etc. only 10 minutes from Epcot - just a straight shot to get parked at Epcot for the races. I absolutely loved staying off site and will be the only way I do it from now on for Disney races. Our car was a mid size - $124 incl. tax for the week from Dollar. The discount codes posted by mousesavers.com helped me get such a great rate - which I got 2 days before we left! I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

For the W&D weekend it's frankly easier to stay off site than a non-Epcot loop resort.

I know this is not the rah rah lets do Disney response but here are the basics of that weekend.

You drive to Epcot for the race. It's free to park if you are there for the race. IT's also early enough that you have no real traffic concerns.

From the parking lot, you ride a race bus to the start area at WWoS

Post race, your car is in the parking lot waiting for you - no post race bus to worry about.

Having a car in the parking lot prevents you from needing to worry about storing a bag with disney and gives you some shelter for the post race clothing change.

This last point is also something to think of based on Boston's new baggage policies... no bags transported to the start line or from the start line.

You are a driver would only need to worry about road closures if you are staying offsite and planning on using Sherberth road for access to property. Even with that, World drive would be a fast drive around. You will also be arriving at Epcot well in advance of any road closure.

As a stock holder I say stay on property and enjoy the weekend. From a practicable standpoint, this is one of the race weekends where staying at a host resort may actually be a penalty.

[ADDED] - the penalty for staying off site comes from the non-race days. You will pay for parking unless you have an AP or other means of getting free parking. That is a small consideration and can be worked around if one thinks a little about how the property transportation system works.

I just returned from running the 3 races over Princess weekend. My girlfriend and I stayed off site at one of the Dream Villas that Kevin and John own (members of the Dis Unplugged podcast team). It was fantastic. They were kind enough to upgrade us from a 3 bedroom 2 bath to 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths which was more space than we needed but wonderful to spread out in. The cost was $700 for the week with a $300 security deposit which was refunded to me the day after we checked out. The villa was in a gated community, very quiet - which helped with getting sleep when I had to be in bed by 8 pm and up at 2:30 am :)-you aren't always assured of that in a hotel room especially with all the kids running around and coming back from the parks late at night. The villa also had a full kitchen, tvs/dvd players in every bedroom and living room and washer/dryer. There was also an enormous heated pool/large hot tub, tennis courts etc etc. only 10 minutes from Epcot - just a straight shot to get parked at Epcot for the races. I absolutely loved staying off site and will be the only way I do it from now on for Disney races. Our car was a mid size - $124 incl. tax for the week from Dollar. The discount codes posted by mousesavers.com helped me get such a great rate - which I got 2 days before we left! I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Thanks! I checked them out and they look really nice and would meet our needs well when we go down as a whole family. I think this trip might be just DH and I (if we can find a babysitter for our kids) and would only be for 4 nights, and I noticed that they require a 7 day minimum stay. But I'll definitely keep them in mind for a future visit. Thanks! :)

You drive to Epcot for the race. It's free to park if you are there for the race. IT's also early enough that you have no real traffic concerns.

Post race, your car is in the parking lot waiting for you - no post race bus to worry about.

Ooh, I didn't know that. Good to know....

For the W&D weekend it's frankly easier to stay off site than a non-Epcot loop resort.

I know this is not the rah rah lets do Disney response but here are the basics of that weekend.

Having a car in the parking lot prevents you from needing to worry about storing a bag with disney and gives you some shelter for the post race clothing change.

This last point is also something to think of based on Boston's new baggage policies... no bags transported to the start line or from the start line.

You are a driver would only need to worry about road closures if you are staying offsite and planning on using Sherberth road for access to property. Even with that, World drive would be a fast drive around. You will also be arriving at Epcot well in advance of any road closure.

As a stock holder I say stay on property and enjoy the weekend. From a practicable standpoint, this is one of the race weekends where staying at a host resort may actually be a penalty.

[ADDED] - the penalty for staying off site comes from the non-race days. You will pay for parking unless you have an AP or other means of getting free parking. That is a small consideration and can be worked around if one thinks a little about how the property transportation system works.

wow! Glad I asked! Thanks! If it is just Dh and I going down, our only "park time" would likely be the post race party at Epcot, and possibly attending the very Merry Christmas Party one of the nights...Maybe one more day at Epcot doing F&W festival, but not for certain...

So if I am a runner, and Dh is a spectator only...would it be best for him to drop me off pre-race and then would he have time to go back to our off site hotel (yeah, probably depends on where off site...) and then come back to park somewhere and attend the post race party?

wow! Glad I asked! Thanks! If it is just Dh and I going down, our only "park time" would likely be the post race party at Epcot, and possibly attending the very Merry Christmas Party one of the nights...Maybe one more day at Epcot doing F&W festival, but not for certain...

So if I am a runner, and Dh is a spectator only...would it be best for him to drop me off pre-race and then would he have time to go back to our off site hotel (yeah, probably depends on where off site...) and then come back to park somewhere and attend the post race party?

There will be significant dead time. He will have at least a 4 hour dead period assuming he drops you at the last of the transportation period and you are a 2 hour half runner. Most anywhere you would stay would allow time back and forth. He could also hit a park, DtD or head to the start with you instead of heading back. One other thing that he could try - though I am not convinced it works... drive over to the All Stars and watch you pass over Buena Vista Drive. I think traffic could snarl at the intersection just outside of the allstars leaving him in a jam.

Those are the initial thoughts

There will be significant dead time. He will have at least a 4 hour dead period assuming he drops you at the last of the transportation period and you are a 2 hour half runner. Most anywhere you would stay would allow time back and forth. He could also hit a park, DtD or head to the start with you instead of heading back. One other thing that he could try - though I am not convinced it works... drive over to the All Stars and watch you pass over Buena Vista Drive. I think traffic could snarl at the intersection just outside of the allstars leaving him in a jam.

Those are the initial thoughts

Thanks! I actually like to get to the race area early so it sounds like he'd have much more than 4 hours...
He might be interested in heading over to the ESPN bar on the Boardwalk and watching whatever game is on tv :)

So I may have missed something about how early you wanted to go to epcot to catch the bus to wwos but if he's going to be a spectator and has a ticket for the post-race party, he can go to Epcot as early as 7pm so he can enjoy Epcot during your pre-race time as well. That's my DH's favorite party of the wine and dine weekend! He says he gets to ride and eat a lot nd had fun at the pub in UK with some other spectators.

Also, for the wine and dines, we've always rented a car for the weekend and drive to the expo. After this last princess weekend taking the bus to the expo, I'd rather drive. I think they drop you off further from the expo entrance and at that point, the less walking the better! DH and I also drove the course the sat afternoon before my first wine and dine. It really helped me visualize the course since it was my first half.

I'm going to stay off-site now because of this thread!

Should I stay closer to Epcot??

I only stay onsite for the Marathon weekend in January as I rather just catch a bus to and from the race than have to deal with driving especially after running 26.2 miles,however for the other races I just stay offsite.For TOT I just park my car at WWOS and then take the shuttle back after the race back to my car,real simple.

We drive up from South Florida and we always stay on property. Is there any downside to us staying on property and driving to Epcot before the race? I think that you are saying that it is better to drive yourself than to rely on Disney transportation for this race, is that right?

We drive up from South Florida and we always stay on property. Is there any downside to us staying on property and driving to Epcot before the race? I think that you are saying that it is better to drive yourself than to rely on Disney transportation for this race, is that right?

I don't think there's any concern in staying on property and relying on Disney transportation. Sure, every year it seems like there's one resort that has an issue with the buses, but in general things go very smoothly. Driving yourself does have benefits when the weather is cold or rainy or both, though.

Do you think this will have baring upon the Wine & Dine?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter